Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
This whole argument is really dumb since they are adding a matchmaking system for raids soon

Sorry it wasn't up Day 1 I guess

Or sorry it isn't exactly what you want I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Lmfao. Raid is hours old and the baby crew is already, "Bungie failed because good players weren't forced to carry me through in 2 hours immediately, #nevergoingtoseetheraid."

Try socializing like a decent human being. I did in D1 and it lead to doing every raid countless times.

And by decent, I mean no God drat Kinect mics.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

Talking about the raid actually. So now you're willfully misinterpreting what I say in order to get in some tepid burns of your own I see. :thumbsup:

I was clearly responding to a post about Nightfalls, and they were the subject of the response. Could you put your dick away for five seconds and understand what it is you're getting upset about?

You didn't answer my actual raid related question anyway. Why are you so threatened y the idea of.more.options being made available to players?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You clowns make up arguments that people aren't even having

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FishBulb posted:

This whole argument is really dumb since they are adding a matchmaking system for raids soon

Sorry it wasn't up Day 1 I guess

Or sorry it isn't exactly what you want I guess.

It was a passing comment about a slight disappointment with the game. It's escalated because of some seriously bizarre hostility towards not working a 9 to 5 job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with raid matchmaking is that ransoms won't be able to clear it, full stop. Then they start bitching the raid is too hard and it gets upvoted in Reddit and bungie responds and now the raids are basically as hard as a story mission.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

This thread loving sucks you idiot assholes

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's not a retuned easy mode raid matchmaking so it doesn't really appeal to me or most people complaining. I'm pretty sure most of us want to see the Raid in the way matchmade Strikes work.

Add matchmaking, strip out or dumb down the complex mechanics, knock the difficulty down, maybe add extra players, give same gear models with maybe a less cool default shader and lower levels.

But nah that ruins the raids for the people running them normally. Because reasons.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes it's called thinly veiled elitism

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Norns posted:

Microsoft® Thinly Veiled Elitism™ (w/ 90 day warranty)

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
it would almost be worth implementing it just to see the clusterfuck

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

FishBulb posted:

Basically yeah, 20% of the player base completing a raid seems low, but that number is deflated by a huge bunch of players who barely played the game at all. Sure, they are people and they count but they are hardly the playerbase for the game.

I think the 50% was from people who actually stuck with the game, I'll see if I can find it but they mentioned it in the context of long-term players.

But yeah, it's still probably a case where most people who really wanted to do raids got to do at least a few. Like I'm probably not going to even attempt this one until the paths get figured out, because as much as I'd enjoy exploring a new area totally blind, I definitely do not have 10 hours straight to play.

Even 4 hours is pushing it pretty hard for me, but I also totally get that I'm not the target audience for hardcore MMO-style raiding. It just feels like that's basically what the entire endgame is based around, so I want to at least try it out eventually.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

Hey, great idea. Take the raid, which is suppose to be the hardest mechanics, bested only by good team work and make it a colouring book for the tists.

You want to see what Callus' shag carpet looks like then watch a video.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's not a retuned easy mode raid matchmaking so it doesn't really appeal to me or most people complaining. I'm pretty sure most of us want to see the Raid in the way matchmade Strikes work.

Add matchmaking, strip out or dumb down the complex mechanics, knock the difficulty down, maybe add extra players, give same gear models with maybe a less cool default shader and lower levels.

But nah that ruins the raids for the people running them normally. Because reasons.

Well they aren't doing that. Sorry.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spiv posted:

Hey, great idea. Take the raid, which is suppose to be the hardest mechanics, bested only by good team work and make it a colouring book for the tists.

You want to see what Callus' shag carpet looks like then watch a video.

Elitism aside, how does that change the standard raid? It doesn't. You would still get the same experience while I would get mine.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yes you are correct that removing mechanics, dumbing down the puzzles, and adding extra players would in fact ruin the raid.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They are adding raid matchmaking

I understand it isn't the system you want.

But they are adding it

Can we talk about cool guns now?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Load up someone's twitch

Grab a controller

Pretend you're playing

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its extremely cool that its acceptable in MMOs for the developer to have to personally learn the lessons of the last 13 years rather than just play WoW and copy their poo poo so players can just continue have the exact arguments over and over again in this inescapable hell as if LFG raid groups weren't a solved problem.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes a dumbed down raid would certainly ruin the normal one because no game ever has had adjustable raid difficulty

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poptart_fairy posted:

It was a passing comment about a slight disappointment with the game. It's escalated because of some seriously bizarre hostility towards not working a 9 to 5 job.

When I raided in D1 I had all kinds of weird work hours to deal with and a girlfriend who loving hates Destiny and somehow I still managed to find five other people who wanted to play when I was able.

Norns posted:

:qq:

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

Load up someone's twitch

Grab a controller

Pretend you're playing

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Y'all act like they didn't have 3 years to smooth any of this poo poo out. The sherpa thing is a step in the right direction .

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Maybe they don't think it's an issue that needs sorting out

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/dI1M8Ey.gifv

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Norns posted:

Y'all act like they didn't have 3 years to smooth any of this poo poo out. The sherpa thing is a step in the right direction .

It is but hopefully it doesn't take them until Destiny 3 to implement lfr.

FishBulb posted:

Can we talk about cool guns now?

The way Coldheart ramps up makes it one of the most satisfying game guns I've ever used. Keeping it focused on the head of a boss the entire clip is bliss.

I'm sure there are better ones like the solar hand cannon but I've only got two exotics so far. Coldheart and the power SMG I can't remember because I've never used it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

9/14 never forget

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So hey I played the first game for about a week and it didn’t click, but in the interim I’ve kept an eye out on news on the first one and it sounded more and more my speed

Combine that with wanting to have a new fun hangout game because I’m sad brain and lonely, my question is raids aside does this game support a couple plays a week habit or is this an every day kind of game?

If this has been answered already feel free to laugh at me

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Celery Jello posted:

So hey I played the first game for about a week and it didn’t click, but in the interim I’ve kept an eye out on news on the first one and it sounded more and more my speed

Combine that with wanting to have a new fun hangout game because I’m sad brain and lonely, my question is raids aside does this game support a couple plays a week habit or is this an every day kind of game?

You can play the game a small amount a week and still have fun as long as your brain isn't broke and you eventually get mad that you can't see 100% of the content in the game (raids or extremely high level pvp poo poo).

More specifically there are weekly goals called "milestones" that will help you keep gaining levels incrementally if you don't have the time for higher level content or if you just like to see numbers getting bigger.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Celery Jello posted:

Raids aside it can be a super casual game. There isn't really a right pace. You're actually going to be better off popping in a few times a week vs playing all day every day.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Celery Jello posted:

However you want to do it. There's a ton of daily/weekly stuff to do but none of it's strictly mandatory and if you're not really worried about gearing up to raid or whatever it's actually perfect for popping in for a 20 minute shootmans session here and there.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

DrNutt posted:

You can play the game a small amount a week and still have fun as long as your brain isn't broke and you eventually get mad that you can't see 100% of the content in the game (raids or extremely high level pvp poo poo).

No because soon when he loads up, Bungie will force other players to carry him while he eats chips into his Kinect mic. He can see everything.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

did they just flat out remove mercy rule or something, jfc

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Actually I'd be totally cool with Bungie implementing lfr or raid matchmaking or whatever now that they have finished the raid design.

Have fun with the Pleasure Gardens, brave matchmakers! I got the scout rifle from that encounter, you might get it too!

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 14, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

When I raided in D1 I had all kinds of weird work hours to deal with and a girlfriend who loving hates Destiny and somehow I still managed to find five other people who wanted to play when I was able.

:qq:

Why are you so threatened by the idea of more options being made available to players?

Finding half a dozen people to play a game for six hours straight, when I'm typically only able to play around midday GMT, is a fiddly experience. Regular Nightfalls and raids would not at all be altered by having random matchmaking available for the former and altered mechanics for the latter.

Emalde posted:

I keep getting this sort of result and it's always been when the other side has a premade, ugh. The common defense I see for these matches continuing is that "comebacksa are possible" but...uh, no, they're really not when things have gone that far.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I can't wait to be chastised by 5 sweaty nerds grinding out guide XP because I am slow and bad at this game.

I'm glad they put a system in that will actually mark me as a plebian scrub. I will grovel and beg for each guided games token they offer me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I hope MMOs never evolve from early 2000s raid design

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Emalde posted:

MErcy rule is basically hitting a specific score imbalance at certain timeframes IIRC, it's surprisingly easy for one sided games to avoid this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Actually I'd be totally cool with Bungie implementing lfr or raid matchmaking or whatever now that they have finished the raid design.

Have fun with the Pleasure Gardens, brace matchmakers! I got the scout rifle from that encounter, you might get it too!

No but then the antisocial sperglords on reddit will upvote a plea to nerf raid mechanics to the front page and Bungie will acquiesce.