Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Some don't even take reservations for people traveling alone. Just like some shooting ranges don't rent guns to people who show up alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It depends. Many do if you call them and try to take a solo-trip during a weekday.

There's a bunch of old people/domestic travelers who do like to stay at ryokan solo --- so much that there is a "solo" option on a lot of the travel portals in Japanese.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stringent posted:

I've done it a few times, it was quite nice.

Yeah it's pretty nice. I've done this on the tail end of business trips a few times for some much needed chill time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For a first-time visit to a ryokan it might be better to have a friend/local to explain the menu.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone here into VR? I'm gonna be in Tokyo next week, planning to go do this and curious if anyone's been. Mario Kart looks awesome.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

air- posted:

Anyone here into VR? I'm gonna be in Tokyo next week, planning to go do this and curious if anyone's been. Mario Kart looks awesome.

I did it - get the pass and make sure Mario Kart is still going on. It originally ended at the end of August.

The games were pretty fun, but sometimes a bit buggy. They had to reset my machine 3 times to get it to pick up my hands. Mario Kart is pretty much set speed catch-up to keep it fun since you just get one go. The power-ups were awesome and it was great to hit people near me with a hammer.

Skiing seemed pretty realistic.

Dino Horror game was scary af, but fun - would probably try a different one in the horror group (red) if I did it again - maybe the flying bike.

And Dragonball was cool, especially if you're a Dragonball fan. I didn't even know the character names and still enjoyed it and would do it again.

Overall - expensive, but a lot of fun overall.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any cool and good recommendations for places to stay in Kyoto? Not staying in a hostel or capsule hotel, everything else is fair game.

Also, have 12 or so nights, I've already been to Tokyo, I've heard Osaka is worth skipping, where would you go besides Kyoto? Hiroshima? Cool place that isn't a major city? Not renting a car and going in late November.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Its getting closer to my trip time. I reserved a hotel and put both my friend and my name on the guest portion but they will be arriving like 6 hours before I do and they will need to check in. The room is being charged to my credit card, and I know here in America that at check-in they usually want to put a card on file for incidentals, is it the same there? Obviously when I finally arrive I can do that with my card but I want to make sure that when friend gets there she can get into the room and relax without any hassles. Worst case scenario she can use her card and then I'll just have them swap it when I get there. Or am I overthinking this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VelociBacon posted:

Any cool and good recommendations for places to stay in Kyoto? Not staying in a hostel or capsule hotel, everything else is fair game.

Also, have 12 or so nights, I've already been to Tokyo, I've heard Osaka is worth skipping, where would you go besides Kyoto? Hiroshima? Cool place that isn't a major city? Not renting a car and going in late November.

What are you looking to do? Aimlessly walk around town? Sightseeing? Big into touristy stuff?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Phone posted:

What are you looking to do? Aimlessly walk around town? Sightseeing? Big into touristy stuff?

Wander is the big one. Really into good as well. Not into touristy stuff at all but would go to 2-3 temples since it's Kyoto.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hello kyushu friends,

I'm dropping by Itoshima in early November for oyster huts on the way from Fukuoka down south, but does anyone have any recommendations on what else to do near there?

Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine going there just for the oysters.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wander around Hiroshima, Onomichi, Kurashiki and Kobe. Go see the world's largest graveyard at Koya-san.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Oh for that question i meant in Itoshima.

I've been to Hiroshima, Kobe, and Koyasan before. I skipped Okayama but would probably do it on a Chuugoku specific trip sometime in the future.

We'll be on the other side of the Shimanami Kaido on the Ehime side but I dont know if I want to pay the entire car fee to go over the bridge and back, since my mother can't really do the full biking thing. Who knows.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

May be worth checking this site out:

http://itoshima-guesthouse.com/itoshima-map/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

(and my town recs were for velocibacon hehe)

ntan sempai are you coming to Ehime? with your mom? I would totally host you here in Niihama.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
What's a good less-travelled city/area to go to on holiday?

I'm intimately familiar with Tokyo/Osaka, Okinawa down south and Hokkaido up north.
Have a week off in October I could fly into the country.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

shrike82 posted:

I'm intimately familiar with Tokyo/Osaka, Okinawa down south and Hokkaido up north.

You should ride a bike across Shimanami Kaido and see the crazy festivals in Ehime Oct 7-18 (Matsuyama Dogo mikoshi, Saijo danjiri and Niihama taiko).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really liked Matsumoto. There's not really much to do there but it's a nice little town to chill. You could go from there up into Nagano and see mountainy stuff.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Could easily kill a week in Kyushu. Onsen basically everywhere (35% of Japan's onsen are in Kyushu), historical stuff, active volcanos, shochu, Yakushima, FUK.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Or if its late October Aomori is very pretty, especially in the Hakkoda range.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

(and my town recs were for velocibacon hehe)

ntan sempai are you coming to Ehime? with your mom? I would totally host you here in Niihama.

O im an idiot.

Unfortunately Im already staying at Minshuku Nagoma which I think you recommended at some point. Then heading straight into Tokushima the day after, since I don't have that much time. I wish I had more vacation :(

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

spend a day in kagoshima and then take the ferry to yakushima and stay there for five days, you can go to jomon sugi for a day, go to the seaside outdoor onsen once or twice, go to 白谷雲水峡 for a day, your hostel will literally be on the ocean and it's quiet and relaxing and peaceful and nice. the take the ferry back to kagoshima and then fly out. that's my trip, enjoy

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Or if its late October Aomori is very pretty, especially in the Hakkoda range.

I came here to post this. The Oirase-Towada area is so nice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

O im an idiot.

Unfortunately Im already staying at Minshuku Nagoma which I think you recommended at some point. Then heading straight into Tokushima the day after, since I don't have that much time. I wish I had more vacation :(

omg yesss you can say Iizuka recommended it and enjoy the awkward but sincere small talk about my adorable kids n stuff

peanut fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 12, 2017

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

The Great Autismo! posted:

go to the seaside outdoor onsen once or twice

I have other stuff from Yakushima too but ya its cool

mystes
May 31, 2006

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201708300059.html

quote:

Tourists may be forced to cough up a "sayonara tax" when they leave Japan.

[...]

The exit tax will be one proposal on the table to help the government hit its target of attracting 40 million overseas tourists by 2020.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Got another question. I'm headed to a music festival this weekend in Naeba (more or less the same place where Fuji Rock is) and the weather looks like I should consider bringing outdoor/rain gear like boots, waterproof pants, a raincoat/jacket.

What are some stores I should try? I'll shop around Shinjuku since I gotta be there for the VR thing anyway. In the past, I've popped into Donki for cheapo ponchos or umbrellas in a pinch. I don't necessarily want the cheapest things, especially on the boots since I'd probably wear them for a whole day. I googled around for gumboots/rain boots and I see there's also L-Breath, Sanko Hakui.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

air- posted:

Got another question. I'm headed to a music festival this weekend in Naeba (more or less the same place where Fuji Rock is) and the weather looks like I should consider bringing outdoor/rain gear like boots, waterproof pants, a raincoat/jacket.

What are some stores I should try? I'll shop around Shinjuku since I gotta be there for the VR thing anyway. In the past, I've popped into Donki for cheapo ponchos or umbrellas in a pinch. I don't necessarily want the cheapest things, especially on the boots since I'd probably wear them for a whole day. I googled around for gumboots/rain boots and I see there's also L-Breath, Sanko Hakui.

If you want the best prices go to London Sports in Jimbocho: https://www.yelp.com/biz/%E3%83%AD%...%94%B0%E5%8C%BA

My personal preference for outdoor stuff is montbell: http://www.montbell.jp/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol yeah nothing attracts tourists like charging them to leave your country. I guess this is a damage cleanup fee for mainlanders.

Different topic: I finally finished reading Spike Japan and it made me miss good blogs, anybody have suggestions for others of the sort? Doesn't have to be about ruin but long form and well written is important. They can be dead or active.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about goonette Elise's gross ICU stories?

http://www.endofshiftreport.com/?m=1

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

tokyodeep.info is pretty good. Don't bother with the English version though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Different topic: I finally finished reading Spike Japan and it made me miss good blogs, anybody have suggestions for others of the sort? Doesn't have to be about ruin but long form and well written is important. They can be dead or active.

I remember reading some posts on here shortly after I got here: https://goinglocoinyokohama.wordpress.com/

I remember liking it, but I don't remember it very well.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I would point you to the hairy white prince, the finest japan blog ever written, except he seems to have let his image hosting go fallow.

A couple posts seem to still be ok: http://gaytokyo.blogspot.jp/?view=classic

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

lol yeah nothing attracts tourists like charging them to leave your country. I guess this is a damage cleanup fee for mainlanders.

Tbh if it's just included as an additional charge on a ticket I doubt most people would even notice

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Thanks for info on the shinkansen. Any recommendations on best ways to spend time with a day and a half in Sapporo? The brewery tour sounds good but brief.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Keep in mind you still have 3.5 hours on another train after you get off the shinkansen in Hokkaido, to get to Sapporo. A flight is probably cheaper and definitely faster.

Sapporo is cool but it's mostly about eating, drinking, and drinking with girls. Which of these do you want to do the most? Not much in terms of tourist spots.

Edit: also just to be clear they don't actually make any beer at the Sapporo Beer Museum in Sapporo. It's just a museum. If you want an actual working brewery tour, that's a 30min train ride outside of the city.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 14, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol that's a heck of an unrecommendation

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's also a 1 hr train ride from the airport to Sapporo. You have to make sure your trip is worth while for sure.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

You can sometimes get decent deals flying into Hokkaido's smaller airports like Obihiro, which closer to places that are more interesting than Sapporo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
if you are not from japan the maximum you should pay for any flight is $100.

Both ANA/JAL have this promotion for foreigners.