Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LogicNinja posted:

You know, I just wish they'd do away with per day abilities entirely. "Per day" is just such bad design that perforce skews campaign/adventure design.

Even if you have to give some classes an expendable resource and others not, there are better ways to handle it.

This has to do with designers being unwilling to decouple their pacing mechanics from "real" measures of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

This has to do with designers being unwilling to decouple their pacing mechanics from "real" measures of time.

FantasyCraft has abilities that are broken down by scene, adventure, etc. I believe, various narrative milestones in addition to (or maybe in place of, it's been a while) the usual denominations of time.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Short rest ("as long as you can take a quick 5/10/30-minute or however long") break abilities work that way and are still better for the rest of the system, since you can design "waves of enemies" grueling encounters or generally expect people to have all of their abilities available. Stronger abilities should be balanced in other ways, not by limited use.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rand Brittain posted:

Mage pretty much brought that on itself by making a new edition that was dedicated to explaining how much of the stuff they sold you in the previous edition was bad, and you were a fool for liking it.

Wasn't that pretty much the whole setting design philosophy of New WoD? I mean, I think Changeling actually did write a very different and thus much more interesting setting, so there's that.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Liquid Communism posted:

Wasn't that pretty much the whole setting design philosophy of New WoD?
I mean... yes, but they weren't wrong, when you get right down to it? There were a lot of bad things. When I still cared about WoD enough to go through the new Vampire and Werewolf books, I remember finding them more tightly focused and better designed overall.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LogicNinja posted:

You know, I just wish they'd do away with per day abilities entirely. "Per day" is just such bad design that perforce skews campaign/adventure design.

Even if you have to give some classes an expendable resource and others not, there are better ways to handle it.

"Per day" is ultimately a totally arbitrary unit of time that stands in for "a significant period of downtime which players must have the time to take" so they could rename them, but to be fair, most people make dailies a per-arc thing rather than per-ingame-day.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

Wasn't that pretty much the whole setting design philosophy of New WoD?

This is certainly what a lot of oWoD grogs think, yes.

e; to expound on this a bit, if this was a setting design philosophy for the nWoD it was far less outspoken as opposed to D&D Next where Mike Mearls is giving interviews literally spouting edition warrior talking points. I have never actually seen any compelling evidence that the nWoD was intended as a big reactionary "take that!" against the oWoD or its fans. Plenty of people certainly do interpret the direction that the nWoD took as evidence of this the same way that people take contrails in the sky as evidence that the government is spraying mind control chemicals over their homes, but I'm fairly certain that they both have about as much basis in reality.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 14, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

nWoD had some core changes that differentiated it from oWoD, but these were hard to notice due to the similarities. It came as more of a remix than reboot, and it's always easier to fixate on what's missing instead of what's been added.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
As a dyed-in-the-wool 'superheroes with fangs/katanas and trenchcoats' player of Masquerade, it was immediately obvious that Requiem had been designed to rule that poo poo out from the very start.

Which is fine. It was just a really obvious change when you'd been Playing Vampire Wrong for ten years already.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Kai Tave posted:

e; to expound on this a bit, if this was a setting design philosophy for the nWoD it was far less outspoken as opposed to D&D Next where Mike Mearls is giving interviews literally spouting edition warrior talking points. I have never actually seen any compelling evidence that the nWoD was intended as a big reactionary "take that!" against the oWoD or its fans. Plenty of people certainly do interpret the direction that the nWoD took as evidence of this the same way that people take contrails in the sky as evidence that the government is spraying mind control chemicals over their homes, but I'm fairly certain that they both have about as much basis in reality.

The absolute closest thing I could see the nWoD being a reaction to oWoD is that the bad guys in Werewolf: The Forsaken were pretty obviously Apocalypse's Garou Nation only mildly exaggerated, a bunch of monstrous blood purists and religious fanatics.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

NinjaDebugger posted:

Let's be honest here, The Legend of Drizzt would be their first go, and possibly the only time in history that hollywood whitewashing something would be a good idea.
I dunno, Drizzt being portrayed by a PoC has the potential to cause a lot of nice meltdowns.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Liquid Communism posted:

Wasn't that pretty much the whole setting design philosophy of New WoD? I mean, I think Changeling actually did write a very different and thus much more interesting setting, so there's that.

Yeah, but Revised and New WoD weren't the same thing; Revised was basically a 3rd Edition of oWoD, and IIRC none of the Revised editions took such a hatchet to previous editions as Mage's did.

I loved it, mind you, as it encouraged Mage games to actually be more about shaping consensus and changing the world than about loving off to the spirit worlds in your Ethership or what have you, but that opinion was not universal, and understandably so, as loving off to the spirit worlds could be a lot of fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Saguaro PI posted:

The absolute closest thing I could see the nWoD being a reaction to oWoD is that the bad guys in Werewolf: The Forsaken were pretty obviously Apocalypse's Garou Nation only mildly exaggerated, a bunch of monstrous blood purists and religious fanatics.

Changeling: The Lost has a bit of that, too. The real fairies who can be physically harmed by boredom and haunt the dreams of humanity are now horrifying villains insteads of protagonists.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The fun part of Mage 2nd vs Revised flamewars is how many things people blamed on Mage Revised actually happened in 2E books. And not even like ,later in the line 2E books.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Saguaro PI posted:

They also wanted to get rid of the weird furry under/overtones that W:TA had, so they got rid of the Fera except for Rat and Spider shifters, who were explicitly villainous and disgusting. Got rid of the Lupus and Metis. And made it so that Forsaken on Forsaken mating was somehow even more terrible as now you birth an unholy death spirit who wishes only to slay it's parents. It's also bizarrely misogynistic because if the mother tries to abort, or even claws out her entire reproductive tract and waits for it to regenerate, her body regrows the baby because it knows she must be punished for her sin. Which sucked because Metis were a unique thing as far as werewolf media was concerned, and the Fera were cool. Sometimes you just want to be a were-tiger rather than a were-wolf. For a lot of W:TA-F imports it felt like they were throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Then they released Furry: The loving and :psyduck:.

W:TF 2nd edition got rid of ghost children, and the Tenet that used to be "Don't gently caress other werewolves" is now "You need to maintain human connections or you'll go crazy."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 14, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

AlphaDog posted:

An evade tank that punishes enemies that attack allies?

* Ranged damage/lockdown effects that trigger off "if the marked target hits anyone but you".

* Evade effects that trigger when you get hit and do something extra if you are hit by a marked target.

* Effects that take an ally out of danger and put you into danger (eg, when an ally is attacked, immediately trade places with them and mark their attacker).

That makes sense. I can see an Xcom style overwatch ability coming into play here, or maybe shooting down an opppnent's ranged attacks with your own. It could be an interesting niche for, say, an Arcane Archer, warping into and out of the fray and raining down lockdown effects with various elemental arrows.

Melee controller?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Bee posted:

Melee controller?

Beast druid. It just wasn't very good because a functional melee controller would need to be able to move anywhere for any reason without threat of AAOs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Bee posted:

Melee controller?
That was the Brawler fighter, aka BBRRROOOOOOOCCKKK LLEESSSSSSNNNAARRRR

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

That was the Brawler fighter, aka BBRRROOOOOOOCCKKK LLEESSSSSSNNNAARRRR

gently caress it, I'm sold. Have Monk as the unarmed fightman, and Brawler as the unarmed wrestleman who Irish Whips people into each other, grapples them for super fine-tuned movement control, and suplexes them onto a room's traps.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Changeling: The Lost has a bit of that, too. The real fairies who can be physically harmed by boredom and haunt the dreams of humanity are now horrifying villains insteads of protagonists.

They also said, 'No, all of you are adults or close enough to pass. Kids don't have the sense of self to return, and some probably-awful thing has rendered all of you sterile.'

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The main things oWoD stalwarts hate about nWoD is:

1. You cannot play a guy who can kill a SWAT team with his bare hands at character creation.

2. There's no metaplot canon for you to become an expert on. It actively frustrates the desire to accumulate encyclopedic knowledge of canon.

nWoD's really focused on making the games about what they're about, and not on filling out setting background. And to make this relevant to business: nWoD sales weren't fantastic, but sales of oWoD books had been declining as the Supplement Treadmill business model was dying out anyways. They got a huge boost to sales from the Time of Judgment.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The fun part of Mage 2nd vs Revised flamewars is how many things people blamed on Mage Revised actually happened in 2E books. And not even like ,later in the line 2E books.
This might be a feature of every edition war. I remember people loved to talk about 4e ushering in the "Darkbutt Fartblade" trend in naming conventions, which goes back to at least 2e.

battlemind is a dumb name tho

The Bee posted:

Melee controller?
You mean the Monk?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kurieg posted:

They also wanted to get rid of the weird furry under/overtones that W:TA had, so they got rid of the Fera except for Rat and Spider shifters, who were explicitly villainous and disgusting. Got rid of the Lupus and Metis. And made it so that Forsaken on Forsaken mating was somehow even more terrible as now you birth an unholy death spirit who wishes only to slay it's parents. It's also bizarrely misogynistic because if the mother tries to abort, or even claws out her entire reproductive tract and waits for it to regenerate, her body regrows the baby because it knows she must be punished for her sin. Which sucked because Metis were a unique thing as far as werewolf media was concerned, and the Fera were cool. Sometimes you just want to be a were-tiger rather than a were-wolf. For a lot of W:TA-F imports it felt like they were throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Then they released Furry: The loving and :psyduck:.

W:TF 2nd edition got rid of ghost children, and the Tenet that used to be "Don't gently caress other werewolves" is now "You need to maintain human connections or you'll go crazy."

The part that was really jarring going WT:A to WT:F is that the Pure were still pretty much WT:A Garou, with a splash of Exalted's Lunars.

What you used to play was still around, your PCs were just the gimped version everyone hated in-setting. Kinda jarring if you came from Apocalypse where the average PC was a juggernaught who knew they were doomed, but was going to go out fighting for what their nature said was objectively right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

1. You cannot play a guy who can kill a SWAT team with his bare hands at character creation.

Says who?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

The part that was really jarring going WT:A to WT:F is that the Pure were still pretty much WT:A Garou, with a splash of Exalted's Lunars.

What you used to play was still around, your PCs were just the gimped version everyone hated in-setting. Kinda jarring if you came from Apocalypse where the average PC was a juggernaught who knew they were doomed, but was going to go out fighting for what their nature said was objectively right.

Yeah, my initial reading of the W:TF 1st ed book was "You've been drafted into a war by someone who hates you and you will die fighting an enemy you cannot beat, or be slaughtered by someone who thinks they can do the job better."

I much prefer 2nd ed's take on things, TBH.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kai Tave posted:

This isn't to say that it was nothing but calculated cynicism on Mearls' part, he seems like he's gone a ways down the rabbit hole himself lately,

Bas Mearls done anything heelish since the fallout of the playtest? The last thing I was really aware of was him sharing those emails. I haven't heard of anything he's done since given that I have no interest in 5e.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

2. There's no metaplot canon for you to become an expert on. It actively frustrates the desire to accumulate encyclopedic knowledge of canon.

nWoD's really focused on making the games about what they're about, and not on filling out setting background.
This is really important and I love it and I have seen Methuselah-age grogs lose their poo poo when talking about Requiem because it's finally, actually about tales of personal horror and not High School of The Damned/Every KMFDM music video.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Bas Mearls done anything heelish since the fallout of the playtest? The last thing I was really aware of was him sharing those emails. I haven't heard of anything he's done since given that I have no interest in 5e.

Not really, after the release most of his stuff has just been normal 3.5-era grog poo poo. Like defending natural language, putting the onus on the DM to fix his bad wording, and releasing multiple new wizard suppliments including a divine wizard who gets all the cleric's poo poo 3 levels earlier because they're better at it due to their intellectual nature rather than relying on faith.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, you can't in V:tR, whereas this used to be trivially easy to do with enough Celerity. Some of the overpowered splats like Geists, maybe.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

This is really important and I love it and I have seen Methuselah-age grogs lose their poo poo when talking about Requiem because it's finally, actually about tales of personal horror and not High School of The Damned/Every KMFDM music video.
People rag on V:tM for "frat boy politics," but that's a comforting delusion that powerful people in the real world aren't also vain shitheads.

The less-criticized style of V:tM gameplay is the one where you're dark superhero archaeologists, digging up the secrets of the metaplot canon, culminating in a glorified dungeon crawl where you fight a big bad in a crypt. That's fun in its own right, don't get me wrong; the problem is that it totally dispenses with the fact that you're a vampire beyond occasionally saying "I make a hunting roll to refill my Blood Pool."

This is very much the direction Stephen Brown was going in, culminating in Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

V:TM was more fun when you just decided to play Sabbat and embrace being inhuman monsters no longer even trying to pretend.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, you can't in V:tR, whereas this used to be trivially easy to do with enough Celerity. Some of the overpowered splats like Geists, maybe.

I was mostly thinking "can you make a Werewolf PC who couldn't do that at character creation?"

Mages and Demons could probably pull it off too with a little planning, charop, or willingness to eat much nastier consequences later. Demons in particular basically got "old, overpowered Celerity" as an Exploit in Flowers of Hell, which is funny both for "how did this get past testing when every other action economy-breaking ability was removed" reasons and also because whoever wrote it put in explicit rules support for Dio's The World shenanigans.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

2e Gauru form and a Demon going loud are two of the easiest ways to remove a police precinct from the map. If such a thing were to become necessary.

Halloween Jack posted:

The less-criticized style of V:tM gameplay is the one where you're dark superhero archaeologists, digging up the secrets of the metaplot canon, culminating in a glorified dungeon crawl where you fight a big bad in a crypt. That's fun in its own right.

I have good news for you.

No, like, seriously, I adore this game. I love how one guy basically goes up against Methuselahs and wins, loving up all of their plans across several centuries, just out of his dogged determination to get his girlfriend back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

unseenlibrarian posted:

I mean, that doesn't really change the fact that there's a bunch of 2e books about adventures on Jupiter's moons, and then a bunch of Revised books about "what kind of idiot want to go to Jupiter when people are starving on Earth?".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kurieg posted:

Not really, after the release most of his stuff has just been normal 3.5-era grog poo poo. Like defending natural language, putting the onus on the DM to fix his bad wording, and releasing multiple new wizard suppliments including a divine wizard who gets all the cleric's poo poo 3 levels earlier because they're better at it due to their intellectual nature rather than relying on faith.

Right. That's just being a bad game designer/manager though. Which I both already knew and don't care about because I'm not playing his game.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I just remember an article from someone who was discussing the D&D license with some hollywood insider types who all seemed to think the brand is a pretty thoroughly poisoned well but that was back in 2013~14 so who knows now.
To me the actual fun, unique stuff from D&D is when it's totally gonzo and embraces the kind of weirdness that gave us Expedition to Barrier Peaks and the Fiend Folio, but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if someone could get funding to make The Adventure Zone: The Movie. D&D has always been out of step with the fantasy genre in general, and D&D-based stuff in other media badly needs to embrace that (like the Fell's Five comic did) rather than making watered-down Generic Fantasy.

The major thing giving D&D more cultural reach is the growth of comedy D&D podcasts and such, but I have no idea if it's anywhere near enough to actually help the brand. But then unless you just have to use Beholders and Mind Flayers by name, you don't really need to bother with the actual D&D license to do a dungeon fantasy thing anyway.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Ewen Cluney posted:

To me the actual fun, unique stuff from D&D is when it's totally gonzo and embraces the kind of weirdness that gave us Expedition to Barrier Peaks and the Fiend Folio, but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if someone could get funding to make The Adventure Zone: The Movie. D&D has always been out of step with the fantasy genre in general, and D&D-based stuff in other media badly needs to embrace that (like the Fell's Five comic did) rather than making watered-down Generic Fantasy.

The major thing giving D&D more cultural reach is the growth of comedy D&D podcasts and such, but I have no idea if it's anywhere near enough to actually help the brand. But then unless you just have to use Beholders and Mind Flayers by name, you don't really need to bother with the actual D&D license to do a dungeon fantasy thing anyway.

When you put it like that, Adventure Time: the Movie would cover a lot of the D&D bases. Of course, that's for kids. Because D&D is for hard-playing adults and always has been.*

*a lie

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

occamsnailfile posted:

When you put it like that, Adventure Time: the Movie would cover a lot of the D&D bases. Of course, that's for kids. Because D&D is for hard-playing adults and always has been.*

*a lie
Not that I'd turn town an Adventure Time movie, but I was talking about The Adventure Zone, the D&D podcast by the My Brother My Brother and Me guys (and their dad), which has included things like a wacky race between magical battle wagons, Fantasy Costco (with a magic item gachapon), and Garfield the Deals Warlock. Of course, it also features the dumb stuff that making d20 skill checks naturally fosters, but still.

Ewen Cluney fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 15, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cease to Hope posted:

paizo, to their credit, realized that there wasn't very much of value in d20 modern. it just wasn't a very good game.
The economy mechanics were the greatest thing in the world to me at the time. Keep the ability to overthink your equipment list if you want to go there, or just buy "a kit that lets you do your stuff" if not, and then barely ever interact with inventory management/money accumulation again! Or, again, try to specifically play the game such that you are actually increasing your purchasing power. If you are into that.

But on the other hand, to this day it makes me sad that they went with class names like "Strong Hero." Sigh

Whoa the Awful App has a long memory, I think I started writing that when coming home from Gen-Con. Welp might as well post it

frankenfreak posted:

I dunno, Drizzt being portrayed by a PoC has the potential to cause a lot of nice meltdowns.
If Drizzt were the only dark-skinned elf born to the evil race of White Elves I think that could instantly be the most delightful movie in history

Unrelated, does anyone follow these sorts of things enough to understand how Dragonsfoot managed to ban Frank Mentzer? Is he not precisely the single person left alive who is most appropriate to be posting there?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Unrelated, does anyone follow these sorts of things enough to understand how Dragonsfoot managed to ban Frank Mentzer? Is he not precisely the single person left alive who is most appropriate to be posting there?

My main source is Tenkar's Tavern.

Long story short, a troll poster on Dragonsfoot by the name of EOTB whose behavior to my knowledge is more or less ignored by the moderators (but other posters aren't given the same leeway). EOTB gets snippy at Mentzer, accusing him of making D&D worse.

A Private Message screenshot addressed to EOTB shows up, allegedly from Mentzer, threatening to sue him along with foul language. Mentzer claims someone hacked into his account, Dragonsfoot mods claim that the IP Address is the same and it's not a hack.

Relevant blog posts:

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/tsr-luminary-frank-mentzer-booted-from.html

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/frank-mentzer-follows-up-with.html

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/the-pm-that-got-frank-mentzer-banned.html

Chances are I might be missing some context, but I haven't really hung out at Dragonsfoot or Knights & Knaves really to know their forum culture or whatnot, nor am I keyed in on the entire PM convo and how things developed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Halloween Jack posted:

Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand.

OH GOD THE FLASHBACKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kai Tave posted:

I think you're right that the WW crowd (at least as far as I remember) was smarter than Mearls in not trashing the oWoD when trying to sell the new. However, prior to that there was that whole embarrassing period of condescending "you're playing wrong" screeds that were en vogue across a lot of their games for a while (including the non-WoD ones; that Aberrant PG is still legendary). Some of the same authors that were writing the initial nWoD were also prominent in that, and the less charitable conflated the two. I've sometimes wondered if you took the same requiem first edition book but put some new name on it instead of Justin Achilli front and center, if the reactions might have differed. Probably not, grogs being grogs, but it was this weird mix of personal and design reaction.

• Locked thread