Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
most of the stuff with guaranteed higher light level gear in game is on a weekly reset. xur and trials are the only events limited to specific days in a week (not sure about trials but that's how it worked in d1). there's daily stuff but it's not as big a deal.

you can def just play a little each week and still have meaningful progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
[quote="“DrNutt”" post="“476390948”"]
You can play the game a small amount a week and still have fun as long as your brain isn’t broke and you eventually get mad that you can’t see 100% of the content in the game (raids or extremely high level pvp poo poo).

More specifically there are weekly goals called “milestones” that will help you keep gaining levels incrementally if you don’t have the time for higher level content or if you just like to see numbers getting bigger.
[/quote]

That sounds good, then. I could probably cobble together the occasional raid run (Are they really six hours? Jesus) but if I get to log on and do a loot treadmill while playing shootmans and talking to new people, I’m happy.

Thanks to everyone for clearing that up. I hope to meet you in game or in the raid matchmaking queue.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 14, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Celery Jello posted:

That sounds good, then. I could probably cobble together the occasional raid run (Are they really six hours? Jesus) but if I get to log on and do a loot treadmill while playing shootmans and talking to new people, I’m happy.

They can be, if you do the whole thing in one sitting with multiple failures on each stage, but you of course are in no way obligated to do that. My raid group normally does it across two or three nights until we have it on farm and can burn through it in one night.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stormgale posted:

MErcy rule is basically hitting a specific score imbalance at certain timeframes IIRC, it's surprisingly easy for one sided games to avoid this

The one the Division's Last Stand PVP got right was how quickly the Mercy Rule kicked in. If one team's score was twice that of the other, poof, it'd end.

A little more anti-climactic - the rounds were/are around 10-15 minutes there - but if one team's getting stomped, then there's no point in dragging it out.

bushwookie19
Apr 2, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
[quote="“Emron”" post="“476391198”"]
They can be, if you do the whole thing in one sitting with multiple failures on each stage, but you of course are in no way obligated to do that. My raid group normally does it across two or three nights until we have it on farm and can burn through it in one night.
[/quote]

OHHHHH okay, that sounds much less ridiculous. I might get to do them then.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poptart_fairy posted:

Why are you so threatened by the idea of more options being made available to players?

Finding half a dozen people to play a game for six hours straight, when I'm typically only able to play around midday GMT, is a fiddly experience. Regular Nightfalls and raids would not at all be altered by having random matchmaking available for the former and altered mechanics for the latter.

I'm not "threatened" but yeah no, they shouldn't dumb down the raid for crybabies. The whole point of the raids thus far has been dealing with the crazy mechanics and figuring out how to get past them as a team.

You are essentially asking Bungie to turn the raid into a really long strike, which is dumb. Play strikes if that's what you want.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm pretty trill to see what Xur's gonna have tomorrow, I'm hoping he has sick 2017 Tour shirts

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Celery Jello posted:

it won't take 6 hours in a week or two. once strategies get discovered and optimized it'll probably be more like 3 hours for a group of average players

i seriously recommend giving the raid a chance. the d1 raids were worth the time commitment and this one seems great from the streams I've seen

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Although tbf while the aesthetics, concept and scale of this raid are :agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus: I do wish certain sections were maybe a bit less puzzle oriented and more shootmans oriented.

Center Area: maybe too shootmans

Gardens: not enough shootmans

Baths: just enough shootmans?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Celery Jello posted:

OHHHHH okay, that sounds much less ridiculous. I might get to do them then.

There's always groups going up in PGS once raiding really starts kicking off. You can also use LFG or r/fireteams. It's really fun and definitely worth trying. Don't feel the need to burn yourself out to be ready for a week one clear or anything--there's plenty of time and no reason to be on the bleeding edge.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Pinely posted:

it won't take 6 hours in a week or two. once strategies get discovered and optimized it'll probably be more like 3 hours for a group of average players

i seriously recommend giving the raid a chance. the d1 raids were worth the time commitment and this one seems great from the streams I've seen

The part that's kicking everyone's rear end is gardens and rightfully so. It's very tricky to nail down but it's a 8 minute segment when you do. We will see if things hold up on alts or next week but I am confident our group has it totally figured out now. It took a lot of effort and, eh, social interaction, to get there though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Although tbf while the aesthetics, concept and scale of this raid are :agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus: I do wish certain sections were maybe a bit less puzzle oriented and more shootmans oriented.

Yeah Baths is great but I feel like Gardens is kind of a big misstep given that it turns into a janky Metal Gear Solid.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Bath was the best part. Strategy with just enough shooting. Middle was alright with my second group. Did get a little crazy.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Baths is honestly a lot of fun when it finally clicks, still haven't revisited Gardens since the abortive couple hours I spent trying to figure it out yesterday but I get this feeling that it Fuckin Blows And It's poo poo And It's Real Fuckin Miserable

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HAT FETISH posted:

Baths is honestly a lot of fun when it finally clicks, still haven't revisited Gardens since the abortive couple hours I spent trying to figure it out yesterday but I get this feeling that it Fuckin Blows And It's poo poo And It's Real Fuckin Miserable

what if gorgons but bad?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Agreed. I enjoy puzzles like anyone else but let us kill.

DrNutt posted:

what if gorgons but bad?

Yeah, not looking forward to that garbage.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Emron posted:

There's always groups going up in PGS once raiding really starts kicking off. You can also use LFG or r/fireteams. It's really fun and definitely worth trying. Don't feel the need to burn yourself out to be ready for a week one clear or anything--there's plenty of time and no reason to be on the bleeding edge.

Oh I definitely won’t burn myself out, I have too many disparate games to put all my eggs in this basket, but it’s good to hear that I won’t be completely dusted if I’m slow.

I’ve probably been playing too many lovely phone games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How much of an impact does it look like having higher light levels has on the raid?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DrNutt posted:

Yeah Baths is great but I feel like Gardens is kind of a big misstep given that it turns into a janky Metal Gear Solid.

The thing is, as soon as you get all the patterns down it's totally trivial. I'm not bragging or joking when I say I think we have the thing on Farm already, but it just took a ton of effort to get there.

So the challenge comes from spending 2 hours doing that, instead of being good at shootmans. Not my idea section but whatever.

Someone in our group said the dogs should have an aura like the stealth Crota level from RoI. That would be nice but it might have trivialized it. I'm not sure how they make this section not a slog to figure out/quick breeze to farm and into something fun.

We congealed the same way with baths and getting our rotations timed and establishjng/protecting DPS, but I'd be excited to just play that section again for fun.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are gunsmith telemetry ghost shells broken or are the drops just super rare? I got shell 2 days ago with void and solar and haven't seen a single one.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

I'm not "threatened" but yeah no, they shouldn't dumb down the raid for crybabies. The whole point of the raids thus far has been dealing with the crazy mechanics and figuring out how to get past them as a team.

You are essentially asking Bungie to turn the raid into a really long strike, which is dumb. Play strikes if that's what you want.

Why is it bad for more options to exist. You keep presenting this as a situation where one can't exist without the other being removed.

Also I'd love to play harder Strikes with randoms. Even the Nightfalls are a bit straight forward for how they were hyped up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How much of an impact does it look like having higher light levels has on the raid?

Ten points of light is actually quite a big difference in pve. It is the difference between "doable, but you gotta be on point" and "gently caress yeah I got this."

Obviously you can still get your poo poo pushed in but you got more breathing room.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are gunsmith telemetry ghost shells broken or are the drops just super rare? I got shell 2 days ago with void and solar and haven't seen a single one.

Working for me. Have you gone to the gunsmith to turn in?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Why is it bad for more options to exist. You keep presenting this as a situation where one can't exist without the other being removed.

Mostly because all the options being suggested are bad.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Someone said it goes directly into your inventory and doesn't display a notification.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

Mostly because all the options being suggested are bad.

Except they work in other games but okay

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

maybe everyone on the last 12 pages could just git gud

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

poptart_fairy posted:

Also I'd love to play harder Strikes with randoms. Even the Nightfalls are a bit straight forward for how they were hyped up.

Because even at a studio like Bungie resources are limited (see 4v4 pvp justification) so if they have to spend time making a second version of the raid they will probably just make a single worse version and call it a day.

I appreciate bungies full throated commitment to intense 6 player raid content.

I'm sorry you can't get the pretty spaceman gear just yet.

Brine
Aug 3, 2007
Just an idea, but would this work for gardens? Everyone starts with a full super of some roaming type and is assigned to a dog. You do the first round and get a full stack from the flowers. Everyone uses their super to beat the poo poo out of their assigned dog. You use the next two rounds to chip away at dog health and for the last round you probably have your super back and repeat the first step. I think the timing of supers would probably work out okay? Or just have everyone use a Merciless since it does ridiculous damage.

Edit - super damage may be a bit too low for this to be viable. I don't think I ever attacked a dog last night on my own with it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Celery Jello posted:

Oh I definitely won’t burn myself out, I have too many disparate games to put all my eggs in this basket, but it’s good to hear that I won’t be completely dusted if I’m slow.

I’ve probably been playing too many lovely phone games.

Think of it this way: the raid is the peak of D2 right now. The only things coming next are hard mode and challenges (they make you beat the fight a certain, usually more difficult way), but there's really no rush beyond bragging rights.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poptart_fairy posted:

When the option you are presenting is literally defeating the entire point of the raid, then it's bad. We'll probably get heroic strikes eventually like we did in D1 and you can play those I guess. The raid is the raid, play it or don't.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Because even at a studio like Bungie resources are limited (see 4v4 pvp justification) so if they have to spend time making a second version of the raid they will probably just make a single worse version and call it a day.

I appreciate bungies full throated commitment to intense 6 player raid content.

I'm sorry you can't get the pretty spaceman gear just yet.

Hey I don't care about spaceman gear, I'd just like to see the story stuff in there on my character. A mild complaint of mine has been twisted into an all-consuming need to dumb the entire game down apparently. :v:

Even getting people talking about raids when I mention matchmaking for Nightfalls. Methinks the thread doth protest a little too much.

DrNutt posted:

When the option you are presenting is literally defeating the entire point of the raid, then it's bad. We'll probably get heroic strikes eventually like we did in D1 and you can play those I guess. The raid is the raid, play it or don't.

Why does more options exist result in the game being bad. You've even gotten defensive over Nightfalls having open matchmaking available for them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's just dudes trying to justify blowing 12 loving hours on the internet don't worry about it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Norns posted:

Except they work in other games but okay

Bad games that no one plays.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The big two PC MMOs both use it?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If it's any consolation, the "story stuff in there" realistically amounts to, like, two lines the boss says and some scenery in the room after him.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
i'm not owned threatened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Norns posted:

The big two PC MMOs both use it?

Like I said, bad games no one plays.