Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

I haven't cared about being on the latest version in a long time fyi

Cool! Hope you're ready for ~~~~~BLUEBORNE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

I haven't cared about being on the latest version in a long time fyi

You really should. Security is the most legitimate reason, but the overhead for developers for supporting so many versions is huge, which results in less work put into the general quality of apps, which in turn results in worse health for the ecosystem and less quality overall. It's a big deal.

source: I am an Android developer and the extra time it takes to support older version is a direct cause in me being unable to polish my apps or add additional features. It sucks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Taffer posted:

You really should. Security is the most legitimate reason, but the overhead for developers for supporting so many versions is huge, which results in less work put into the general quality of apps, which in turn results in worse health for the ecosystem and less quality overall. It's a big deal.

source: I am an Android developer and the extra time it takes to support older version is a direct cause in me being unable to polish my apps or add additional features. It sucks.

Counterpoint:

anyway I installed Oreo and you were all right it's bad. I am v mad about the settings menu

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

People simply don't have the option of upgrading to the newest version for the most part

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thermopyle posted:

Before I send my 6P back to Google, privacy-wise, is there anything I should do to it besides a factory reset?

You probably already had it encrypted, but if not, do that then wipe it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

WhyteRyce posted:

Ever since Oreo my battery life on my Pixel XL has been poor. Been tracking my battery stats the last week and it's always the Pebble app taking up 20%+. Guess it's time to retire this dead, lovely gadget :(

My battery life is alright, but I do have the persistent background notification for Pebble. There have been random minor updates with the app, so there's a chance someone at Fitbit's still paying attention.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

People simply don't have the option of upgrading to the newest version for the most part

Oh yeah it's not the users fault at all. Just a terrible mix of SoC manufacturers, device manufacturers, and carriers. Produces a disaster of devices that never updates. It'll never come even close to the speed of iOS updates but it could be massively better than it is now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Still haven't received 7.1.x on my Moto Z.
How likely is it they'll skip it altogether in favour of rolling out Oreo instead?

Blueborne sounds pretty bad ...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Before I send my 6P back to Google, privacy-wise, is there anything I should do to it besides a factory reset?

If you're running pure stock, removing your account and doing a full hard reset should wipe everything and make it start up after at the new device setup.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Still haven't received 7.1.x on my Moto Z.
How likely is it they'll skip it altogether in favour of rolling out Oreo instead?

Blueborne sounds pretty bad ...

The good news is there's a good chance they'll skip it

The bad news is it won't be to get oreo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jk if it came with nougat you'll prolly get oreo. if it came with marshmallow then nm I wasn't joking

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Google set a date for when your pixel will drop in value.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If the reviews are to be believed the Xiaomi Mi A1 should become the best budget buy. Similar price to the G5+ if not cheaper, similar hardware, and at least the promise of timely software updates with stock Android. The only downsides I see are no NFC (which the US G5+ is missing too) and I guess fewer LTE bands? Also who knows where they're going to officially sell it.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 14, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

don't they use miui tho? people complain about it bogging down their phones

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Blue Train posted:

don't they use miui tho? people complain about it bogging down their phones

No, the A1 seems to be a rebadged Mi 5X as an Android One device, so it's stock Android and Google is supposed to provide the updates. Reviews say it only comes with 3 extra Xiaomi apps that you can uninstall.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

cosmo321 posted:

How dim will it get at the lowest? I use my phone a lot on the bed and while a bright screen is nice during the day, it's not so nice during the night. I'm considering this phone as a possible new phone, but I fear the high max brightness also affects the minimum as well.
I have the setting to adapt the brightness to surrounding light levels on, and have used the phone in pitch darkness without going blind.

And yeah, there's apps to further adapt it if you wish.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ah I like the concept of the android one devices i wish they'd sell them in the us

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Blue Train posted:

ah I like the concept of the android one devices i wish they'd sell them in the us
They're all but confirmed to be coming with like the Moto X4 I think? Gonna fill the low-mid range slot for Fi options.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

eXXon posted:

If the reviews are to be believed the Xiaomi Mi A1 should become the best budget buy. Similar price to the G5+ if not cheaper, similar hardware, and at least the promise of timely software updates with stock Android. The only downsides I see are no NFC (which the US G5+ is missing too) and I guess fewer LTE bands? Also who knows where they're going to officially sell it.

No band 12 so that's a no go for T-Mobile customers. Otherwise I'd be putting a G5+ on swappa right now

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They're all but confirmed to be coming with like the Moto X4 I think? Gonna fill the low-mid range slot for Fi options.

Good, it's about time

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's also a rumour that the U11 Life will be given Android One branding along with the X4.

I think Android One may take the place of the Nexus program.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If the billboards weren't enough, further confirmation of the 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etmUU1bs41s

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

This also popped up on my chrome home page: https://madeby.google.com/intl/en_u...ixeltease_en-us

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Given the battery bit, that poo poo better come with a loving huge one. But this is Google...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Boy, that persistent notification in Oreo is annoying! But the way the Google Play Music notification looks is pretty cool.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmao is that a big pun track in that commercial

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SD835 is pretty drat efficient.

This is going to come down to Google's software tuning again. 4 of the cores are Cortex A53 which is what makes the SD625 so battery friendly. These are on an even smaller process too.

So, if Google highly optimizes the scheduler to take good advantage of the A53 cores, the phone should sip power when it's not doing anything that requires full performance.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Google you forgot a question... here I added it for you:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Solvency posted:

Google you forgot a question... here I added it for you:

Im sure boost mobile can help you with that with a lingdong xe7934 smartphone for $30

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

South Park's episode last night caused people with Google Home and/or Alexa devices to trigger, some people had Amazon shopping lists for "Hairy Balls" and "Titty Chips" and multiple new alarms and reminders

:lol::lol:

Can't wait for the local used car dealership to put Google Home triggers in their ads. Good job IoT

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Syrinxx posted:

Can't wait for the local used car dealership to put Google Home triggers in their ads. Good job IoT

That's loving brilliant.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What's wrong with Oreo?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

What's wrong with Oreo?

Hydrox is the better cookie, thats what.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have both a Google Home and an Echo Dot, watched the episode, and had nothing trigger.

Google Home has voice personalization now and only responds to those who's voice is trained for it. Honestly, if your haven't changed your Alexa hot word off of Alexa by now, you're a dummie.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

What's wrong with Oreo?

The brown of the cookie is a metaphor for the poop of the os

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I have both a Google Home and an Echo Dot, watched the episode, and had nothing trigger.

Google Home has voice personalization now and only responds to those who's voice is trained for it. Honestly, if your haven't changed your Alexa hot word off of Alexa by now, you're a dummie.

It should would be nice if the Echo had the ability to set it to something other than Alexa, Amazon, or Echo. Alexa is good because it is a word that gets used infrequently unless you have someone named Alexa in your house. My wife and I use the word Amazon frequently, because you know, we order a lot off Amazon. Echo would probably be alright, but even that word isn't all that infrequently used.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blue Train posted:

The brown of the cookie is a metaphor for the poop of the os

I dunno, my phone got updated to 8, and my only complaint is that the drawer at the top is white now instead of black, and I don't even use it that much, so it's easy enough to ignore.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm mad about the settings revamp and the changed layout of the date in the notification pull down and the overlay notification and background app running notification

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Google Home ... only responds to those who's voice is trained for it.
Absolutely not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nimper posted:

Absolutely not true

Seems to be the case for me ever since they rolled out the personalization.

Was a big help when my niece and nephew came over to my house.