Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Not all of them - France distinguishes between “Overseas Departments“ and “Overseas Territories“. I dunno exactly what the legal differences are, but the former are considered part of France and in extension the European Union proper, whereas the latter (e.g. St Pierre et Miquelon off the coast of Newfoundland or French Polynesia) aren't. Mayotte was a territory until recently, when they decided in a referendum to upgrade to a department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
France has some overseas bits that are territories and some that are considered integral. USA does the same thing. Hawaii and (sort of) Alaska are "overseas" but are integral/states, whereas Puerto Rico and Guam are territories.

Edit: UK does it too, yeah? North Ireland is integral, even though it's not on the same bit of land, whereas Gibraltar or wherever is more like a territory. The UK is full of bonkers edge-cases and half-counted bits as I recall due to it being the big colonial dog before.

The Lemondrop Dandy has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Sep 13, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

the US considers places like Guam and Puerto Rico as "territories" rather than "states" (which has been a point of contention in Puerto Rico especially, since territories don't get any congressional representation yet the Puerto Rican population is larger than several full fledged states).

All of the states (besides the original 13, Maine, Kentucky, West Virginia, Vermont, Texas, and California) used to be territories. Puerto Rico has voted to remain a territory and not become a state every time the issue has come up.

Note that this doesn't affect their legal standing - Puerto Ricans are US citizens.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

Puerto Rico has voted to remain a territory and not become a state every time the issue has come up.

Nope, 5 years ago they voted to become a state. Congress just decided not to do anything about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

trapped mouse posted:

Nope, 5 years ago they voted to become a state. Congress just decided not to do anything about it.

It's kinda complicated. That vote isn't the best representation since there still wasn't a straight majority for statehood, just a plurality, when you factor in all the blank votes for that question left by most of the pro-status quo people.

The 2017 referendum was also questionable because pro-status quo people boycotted it and as a result, turnout was abysmal.

Of course, the Republicans' main reason for not letting them become a state is because they'd be a Democratic stronghold but hey

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

trapped mouse posted:

Kinda. [[same citation]].

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

trapped mouse posted:

I’m all for Puerto Rico statehood, but that referendum was a flaming turd.

So Puerto Rico would fit right into U.S. politics. :911:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

France has some overseas bits that are territories and some that are considered integral. USA does the same thing. Hawaii and (sort of) Alaska are "overseas" but are integral/states, whereas Puerto Rico and Guam are territories.

Edit: UK does it too, yeah? North Ireland is integral, even though it's not on the same bit of land, whereas Gibraltar or wherever is more like a territory. The UK is full of bonkers edge-cases and half-counted bits as I recall due to it being the big colonial dog before.

Yeah, there's a good video about the clusterfuck of UK territories here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10. He also did a later one about the US but it's MUCH less complicated.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Decolonisation leads to some rather weird mish-mashes of territories with various statuses.

Whereas France went the way of saying "oh, Algeria and Guiana are totally an integral part of Metropolitan France", the UK's attitude to the little islands with tiny populations was to give them some weird semi-independent status.

Hence, the UN's list of Non-Self Governing Territories looks kind of weird, including Gibraltar but not Ceuta and Melilla, and Guam but not Puerto Rico.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
kind of cheating, because the map was created as an example of how NOT to do map visualizations, but holy moly did they nail it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Those are some low test scores and some high GPAs. An average of 4.31?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Where's Idaho?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Idaho is fake news

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bookkeeper posted:

Those are some low test scores and some high GPAs. An average of 4.31?
Honors courses, perhaps? I know some places have ways of getting GPAs above 4.0

They forgot to include Idaho's data somehow when they made the visualization, and didn't realize until much later. It fit the theme of what they were trying to do so perfectly they decided to leave it in.

ranbo das posted:

Idaho is fake news

also this

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

After having lived in Idaho I can confirm that it is basically the Western Sahara of the US.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Honors courses, perhaps? I know some places have ways of getting GPAs above 4.0

Could be this, my high school bumped accelerated courses up by 1, so an A in an accelerated course was a 5.0. Could also be incremental GPAs for +/-, so an A is 4.0, but they could give out A+ which is a 4.33, A- is 3.67. There's no standard nationwide for GPA scaling.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Does Idaho even exist? Have you met someone from Idaho?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Some school districts just use a 5 point scale.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Where's what? :confused:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Zereth posted:

Where's what? :confused:

Idanno.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm the three different ratings in South Carolina.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

kind of cheating, because the map was created as an example of how NOT to do map visualizations, but holy moly did they nail it

So what we've learned from this graph is that Alabama is full of supergeniuses.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Google Trends graph for the term "bootstrap paradox":

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Ah. Doctor Who used the term.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Ah. Doctor Who used the term.

Not only that but he literally told people to google it.

So, they did. :shobon:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

goose willis posted:

Does Idaho even exist? Have you met someone from Idaho?

You da ho.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Adorable.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Why isn't it organized by mean or something useful arrrrrgh

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Iraq and Iran- friends? They were definitely enemies under Saddam, but I thought they were still enemies because Iran sends forces into Iraq to destabilize them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jurgan posted:

Iraq and Iran- friends? They were definitely enemies under Saddam, but I thought they were still enemies because Iran sends forces into Iraq to destabilize them.

They're friends because they're both majority-Shia, they have an interest in curtailing the power of Saudi Arabia and Wahhabism, and they do a lot of trade.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Look, if you're trying to explain Middle East politics to an English-speaking audience, I think a Pokemon-esque damage type chart is probably the most appropriate medium considering your audience.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The diagonal should be mostly red faces too

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Maybe a few yellows too, but no greens.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Needs a big "randomize" button in the corner.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
With an American flag on the button

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

I love that the guy's head is right above the source. Like "Source: this random Arab guy".

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

FrozenVent posted:

Needs a big "randomize" button in the corner.

Sentient Data posted:

With an American flag on the button

:drat: lol

SaltyJesus has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OutsideAngel posted:

Look, if you're trying to explain Middle East politics to an English-speaking audience, I think a Pokemon-esque damage type chart is probably the most appropriate medium considering your audience.

Zemyla posted:

I love that the guy's head is right above the source. Like "Source: this random Arab guy".
Unsurprisingly it's not actually that guy's invention, it's been posted in D&D many times before and seems to originate from Slate. It's interactive so you can click on a cell for some additional background information on the friendship status: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2014/07/17/the_middle_east_friendship_chart.html