Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

i cant wait to play skyrim on the switch because driving is boring as poo poo and i should be able to play skyrim while doing so
Speaking of Skyrim, I started playing it for the first time this week. I just recently finished Horizon, Doom, and Uncharted: Lost Legacy. It's pretty rough going to Skyrim after those.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

We're getting a special bundle for COD WW2

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Goddamn remove the camo and I'd love it. I'm a fan of that military drab. At least you (probably) wont' see the top a lot depending on your setup.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

“Special” is right

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

BonoMan posted:

Goddamn remove the camo and I'd love it. I'm a fan of that military drab. At least you (probably) wont' see the top a lot depending on your setup.

Ya, just the olive drab is sick. The camo looks cheesy. Camo wasn't used much in the Euro campaign since people got confused with German uniforms and were even shot by Allied troops. Even in the pacific campaign it wasn't universal to have camo.

Should have made it just olive or more of a ammo can green wth the white stencil print across the top.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

BUT HOW WILL I FIND THIS IN MY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, IT IS GOING TO BLEND IN SO WELL

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally I can take my PS4 camping without everyone ragging on me

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

BUT HOW WILL I FIND THIS IN MY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, IT IS GOING TO BLEND IN SO WELL

Your state's department of fish and game has rules on how big of an area needs to be covered in a neon orange

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mobile gaming rarely appeals to me, i like to zone in and sink into my games. I owned a PSP and a 3DS pretty much to just play Kingdom Hearts and the small God of War games, but the idea of playing Doom '16 like on the subway to school or whatever sounds AWFUL

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have a deeply irrational attachment to Hero Clicker on my phone, but mobile gaming has never appealed to me as a general rule. I like to be settled somewhere comfy in my home for it - can't imagine going out, say, camping and still bringing all my electronics with me.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The Switch is awesome for me when I'm on long flights or quick lunch breaks for Puyo Puyo or Mario Kart and that kinda thing. I prefer BOTW in docked mode, though, and I suspect I will feel the same about Mario Odyssey. With that in mind, I'm not super inclined to pick up Doom on Switch. That may change, though.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Crows Turn Off posted:

Speaking of Skyrim, I started playing it for the first time this week. I just recently finished Horizon, Doom, and Uncharted: Lost Legacy. It's pretty rough going to Skyrim after those.

Well yes playing 3 of the best games of the past 12 months and then going back to 7 year old skyrim sounds a bit jarring.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't play intense, engrossing games on public transport any more since someone tried to grab my phone once while wrapped up in one. It was even an id game :/ (the rage rail shooter tie-in)

Flights and trains would be good but I don't do those very often.

I'm getting Skyrim VR because it looks like it'll be a totally different experience from the first time playing it.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

I don't play intense, engrossing games on public transport any more since someone tried to grab my phone once while wrapped up in one. It was even an id game :/ (the rage rail shooter tie-in)

Sounds like he was doing you a favour bro

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Does the switch get better battery life than the vita now? Because that was a constant complaint about the Vita. Figured I'd ask in this, the Nintendo Switch thread.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Mobile gaming rarely appeals to me, i like to zone in and sink into my games. I owned a PSP and a 3DS pretty much to just play Kingdom Hearts and the small God of War games, but the idea of playing Doom '16 like on the subway to school or whatever sounds AWFUL

poptart_fairy posted:

I have a deeply irrational attachment to Hero Clicker on my phone, but mobile gaming has never appealed to me as a general rule. I like to be settled somewhere comfy in my home for it - can't imagine going out, say, camping and still bringing all my electronics with me.

I was luke warm on handheld gaming and only played a handful of games on the handhelds I did buy over the years (maybe 90/10 or even 95/5 ratio console to handheld play time). Until I had kids. Now a large chunk of my gaming time is the 5 minutes I can lock myself in the bathroom. Handhelds are great!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fil5000 posted:

thats why i wont get this, i buy discs from amazon too much and i dont want to deal with this hassle

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FireMrshlBill posted:

I was luke warm on handheld gaming and only played a handful of games on the handhelds I did buy over the years (maybe 90/10 or even 95/5 ratio console to handheld play time). Until I had kids. Now a large chunk of my gaming time is the 5 minutes I can lock myself in the bathroom. Handhelds are great!

I can't imagine this kind of lifestyle, I need to give myself a 10-minute peptalk before I even load up a game.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

Does the switch get better battery life than the vita now? Because that was a constant complaint about the Vita. Figured I'd ask in this, the Nintendo Switch thread.

Depends on the game. Better than OG Vita i think, but around the same time as the Slim. More demanding games drop it significantly (its 3 hours for games like Zelda, and 6 hours for indies).

Its pretty typical range for gaming handhelds, especially if you compare the Vita, Switch, Shield portable, etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liver Disaster posted:

Is the Vita any good? My living situation for a little while might make it not a bad idea if I can play the PS4 in a different room at times.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Is the Vita any good? My living situation for a little while might make it not a bad idea if I can play the PS4 in a different room at times.

The Vita is great. Remote play can be spotty depending on your connection and house arrangement (it can direct connect to the PS4, but then things like walls, other networks, and whatnot could be an issue).

My biggest complaint with remote play is the control scheme sometimes. Because the Vita only has one set of shoulder buttons, the others are assigned to the touch pad on the back. Some games have optimized remote play control schemes, but not all.

Also FPS are a paint to play on the Vita, for me at least.

Other than that, remote play is great. There is also the PStv, that with a DS4 is great if your network/etc handles it with little lag.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

So three hours for the games people are going to claim they play all the time on the go.

I like the vita, don't buy it if there isn't a decent list of games you'd like to have on the go. I have two so I don't have to swap memory cards. Remote play is really nice, most games have default touch settings that work well but you can change them to suit you. There is a little lag but I used to do savage/raids in ffxiv on mine and did fine so it's not that bad.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

So three hours for the games people are going to claim they play all the time on the go.

I like the vita, don't buy it if there isn't a decent list of games you'd like to have on the go. I have two so I don't have to swap memory cards. Remote play is really nice, most games have default touch settings that work well but you can change them to suit you. There is a little lag but I used to do savage/raids in ffxiv on mine and did fine so it's not that bad.

Ya, it may be 3.5 under normal conditions, and if you drop brightness all the way, put it in airplane mode and don't crank the volume, you may get closer to 4. And that is continuous play, its very efficient in standby with a game paused. Not great, but not bad either. The heat dissipation and on-board fan alone zaps a bunch of battery. About the same as a Shield Portable, considering that is the closest handheld spec-wise. People also use power banks to charge it on the go.

Ya, the more AAA games may not appeal to most people, but there are some great ones. The indie support is amazing and its easy to fill up a 64GB memory card pretty quick off of PS+ freebies alone. While my Vita splits workload with my 3DS and Switch, I'd replace it in a heartbeat if it broke.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 14, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I'd mostly be using it for remote play in the next room, but my current obsession with XCOM2, and WotC seems to be pushing my OG PS4 to it's limits at times.

Is it possible to remotely watch Netflix or a Blu-Ray with it?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

You can watch Netflix with the vita app, which works well enough. You can't stream bluray to the vita though.
Even my beat up old OLED vitas get 6 hours easy, plus they have an actual standby feature, so for remote play around the house is great.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that oled vita screen is loving gorgeous and i love how the color palette of p4g takes full advantage of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I love my Vita, remote play is awesome if your network is good and it even works fine for stuff like RPGs over the internet. Plus there are some really good Vita exclusives and PS1 classics and PSP games look great on the OLED screen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Vita is great if you like anime boobs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liver Disaster posted:

You can watch Netflix with the vita app, which works well enough. You can't stream bluray to the vita though.
Even my beat up old OLED vitas get 6 hours easy, plus they have an actual standby feature, so for remote play around the house is great.

Good enough for me! I just need something for when it's quiet time and when my roommate is watching something like America's Got Talent.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Also PS1/PSP games look really excellent, if there's anything you missed out on there's a 90% chance it's on PSN for cheap.
If you get a 3.60 or before Vita you never need to worry about the price of memory again, it's a system that was abandoned by everyone but VNs and cheap titty games ages ago so feel no guilt for things like SD2Vita.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

You could also download Sonys PS4 Remote Play app for Windows/Mac and remote play on your laptop

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fame Douglas posted:

You could also download Sonys PS4 Remote Play app for Windows/Mac and remote play on your laptop

Might be the better option for now since I'm a bit weary about dropping $200+ on an import of something that appears to be discontinued world wide.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Liver Disaster posted:

Knowing that I can dive into a modern AAA game whenever I want gives me a self-assured confidence that people notice and appreciate. Keep a Switch in your laptop bag and you'll make more friends, earn the respect of your colleagues, and have more exciting romantic encounters.

And really, three hours is plenty of time for a lot of occasions. That covers my daily subway commute, and it saves me from reading dreaded books in waiting rooms or when I show up to movies early to get good seats. It's also long enough for impromptu Mario Kart with coworkers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I almost bought a Bita until you mentioned the laptop app. Going to do that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I always forget about the Remote Play Mac/PC app, that's maybe an even better solution because it lets you use a DS4 so the controls aren't constrained

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is Dragon's Crown, uh, switch appropriate with the fan service etc

The vita is really great and was way ahead of its time. It is an anime machine first, yeah. But to be fair, there's a lot of non-anime games or "light" anime games that people like me will tolerate (muramasa, for example)

They're so cheap there's no reason not to get one just to play through the library. Granted, most of the games ended up on PS4 in some way or another. Anyways yeah too bad the vita is all but abandoned. Remote play is cool but more of a gimmicky than anything tbh, for me at least

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is Dragon's Crown, uh, switch appropriate with the fan service etc

The vita is really great and was way ahead of its time. It is an anime machine first, yeah. But to be fair, there's a lot of non-anime games or "light" anime games that people like me will tolerate (muramasa, for example)

They're so cheap there's no reason not to get one just to play through the library. Granted, most of the games ended up on PS4 in some way or another. Anyways yeah too bad the vita is all but abandoned. Remote play is cool but more of a gimmicky than anything tbh, for me at least

I'm fairly interested in a vita since I've been getting free games with PS+. Is it expensive to buy storage for it? Does it need A LOT of storage for a bunch of games? I still have my old rear end PSP2000 working but unless I can play something else, I rather play newer stuff.

From what I've seen, the new vita has LCD screen but microUSB and some other improvements. What is the real deal between old and new models?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The OLED screen is the big draw for the old one, the new one has a better charger. They both get about the same battery life so it's mostly just how it feels in your hands and what you want to pay for it.
e: the Vita 2k has 1GB of onboard storage you can't use when you have a proper memory card in it, and isn't worth thinking about like at all.

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 14, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Last question: The vita cards are drat expensive from what I see. Is 8gb good enough? (around 27€ in amazon) Or is it recommended to get an expensive as gently caress one. Prices skyrocket when it comes to 32 and 64gb ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Last question: The vita cards are drat expensive from what I see. Is 8gb good enough? (around 27€ in amazon) Or is it recommended to get an expensive as gently caress one. Prices skyrocket when it comes to 32 and 64gb ones.

I wouldn't go below 16 if you can reasonably afford it. 32 is I think the best balance but is also stupid expensive, I only got one because I got it for half off and I still feel I overpaid.