Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
About halfway through, I'm finding the Orville way too unfunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I started watching gently caress Scientology after the chat in the thread. I've watched three episodes of Season 1 and whilst it's good, it's a little....repetitive. People have been separated from their families, I get it. Whilst that is sad, it's pretty one-note and loses it's effectiveness as a result.

Does it get better?

Additionally, why is this poo poo legal? If they outlaw things like Nazi's, Hezbollah and the IRA why can't they do the same with this?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean... Nazis, Hezbollah, and the IRA didn't exactly go away...

They managed to become public enemies because they were the enemies of people with lots of political and economic power. Scientology has a lot of political an economic power on its side. They also aren't a terroristic threat to government, only to citizens, which means there's not a huge incentive for the government to go after them.

There are plenty of countries where it is illegal.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looten Plunder posted:

I started watching gently caress Scientology after the chat in the thread. I've watched three episodes of Season 1 and whilst it's good, it's a little....repetitive. People have been separated from their families, I get it. Whilst that is sad, it's pretty one-note and loses it's effectiveness as a result.

Does it get better?

Additionally, why is this poo poo legal? If they outlaw things like Nazi's, Hezbollah and the IRA why can't they do the same with this?

I think it gets stronger as it goes on, the cult deprogrammer who used to be a Moonie is an especially fun character. The final episode of season 1 is a Reddit AMA hosted by the people from the show and it's just a lot of good discussion about the inner workings of Scientology from higher-ups who left without the sad personal stories.

Also freedom of religion is a hell of a drug. Especially when combined with America's copyright law and contracts.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Snak posted:

They also aren't a terroristic threat to government, only to citizens

And also mostly only citizens who actively choose to be a part of them. I only say mostly because there are kids who grew up in the cult that didn't really have a choice.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

zoux posted:

Never heard of the podcast, but this looks cool.

I love the episodes of Lore I've caught, so this is right up my alley. Sounds perfect for October; I can't wait to watch.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

bull3964 posted:

TBS has renewed “People of Earth”, “Wrecked”, and “The Guest Book".

People of Earth and The Guest Book are real good. I should see about Wrecked.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wrecked is pretty drat good.

Can't agree with you on The Guest Book though. I will admit it has more potential that I expected, but it's just not really that funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector 34 posted:

And also mostly only citizens who actively choose to be a part of them. I only say mostly because there are kids who grew up in the cult that didn't really have a choice.

That's actually the big thing I took from the episodes I've seen and other documentaries or interviews. We tend to think of Scientology as Tom Cruise and John Travolta and a bunch of celebrities who choose this. But watching this stuff you realize how many people seem to be in the cult because their parents dragged them in when they were divorced or struggling or something. It makes the whole thing seem so much more predatory (which is no surprise since that's how bad religions/cults/movements work) and it ends up putting those Cruise and Travolta types in a much more sinister light for perpetuating this for those who don't have the power, money, and influence to speak out and get away relatively clean.

I mean, I don't watch the show because after a certain number of Scientology documentaries and exposes it feels like I'm just wallowing in human misery. But until that point it definitely did a lot to open my eyes to the real victims and evil of Scientology and take it from just being a random curiosity for me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The one thing it does over the others is get under your skin, it's less like a documentary and more like a "let's gently caress these guys a new one."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I thought gently caress Scientology was fine, but there's a lot of crossover with Lawrence Wright's book, which was fantastically researched and pretty much lays out every facet of what they do, particularly the slave labour that built Tom Cruise's new hanger.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I mean... Nazis, Hezbollah, and the IRA didn't exactly go away...

They managed to become public enemies because they were the enemies of people with lots of political and economic power. Scientology has a lot of political an economic power on its side. They also aren't a terroristic threat to government, only to citizens, which means there's not a huge incentive for the government to go after them.

There are plenty of countries where it is illegal.

The huge incentive should be taxing it for not even being a real religion (and then tax those too).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

The podcast is OK, I stopped listening because the host was getting really annoying about plugging his books in it and his wroting and delivery is a bit too...breathless? I get why people might like a show that plays up acting like all these myths could be real but it wasn't really for me.

I like the podcast, the host has a good relaxing cadence to listen to for ~30 while I drive home. I don't mind most plugging though as it's about 2 minutes at the beginning and 2 minutes at the end, so it's not terribly intrusive.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

The huge incentive should be taxing it for not even being a real religion (and then tax those too).

Right, which is actually not incentive for them to make Scientology illegal. Which was the original question.

They tried to tax Scientology and failed. I feel like they have more incentive to try that again than to make their organization illegal. It would probably be political suicide to oersue that. And you'd have all kinds ofnpork barrels stuff trying to tack on banning Muslims also. And then people working the other way to make sure that legislation banning Scientology didn't also hit "real religion" and the idea that Scientology wouldn't be able to just loophole they way into still existing.

It's. It a simple problem.

Edit: I meant it's not a simple problem, but I'm bad at posting.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 14, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Right, which is actually not incentive for them to make Scientology illegal. Which was the original question.

They tried to tax Scientology and failed. I feel like they have more incentive to try that again than to make their organization illegal. It would probably be political suicide to oersue that. And you'd have all kinds ofnpork barrels stuff trying to tack on banning Muslims also. And then people working the other way to make sure that legislation banning Scientology didn't also hit "real religion" and the idea that Scientology wouldn't be able to just loophole they way into still existing.

It's. It a simple problem.

It's a start though, and once the books are open who even knows what wonky poo poo the government could find.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You're the Worst is off to a great start

This is fine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/908088856938938370

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And no matter how outlandishly lovely they are they will be completely plausible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/cbs-wont-allow-any-reviews-of-star-trek-discovery-befo-1809073782

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gotta lock on that first month of CBS All-Access. No pro-ration or refunds!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They just want to protect the fans from spoilers!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

They just want to protect the fans from spoilers!!

Here's a spoiler for you: It's going to be very, very bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So this whole ST + streaming-only thing has been such a patently obvious disaster in the making from day one, so how are the only people in the whole world who don't realize this CBS execs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They don't care. Netflix buying the rights to the markets outside of the US already paid for the show so it's no risk for them.

I still think it's dumb that they aren't putting it on Showtime. Hey CBS, Twin Peaks is now done and I have no reason to keep my Showtime sub so I cancelled. Had Discovery been on Showtime, I would have kept the sub around through the duration which is even more expensive (but much higher quality) than All-Access.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm setting the over/under for the Borg episode that ends with them erasing their memory banks and swearing never to speak of it again at Season 2 Episode 6

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

It's a start though, and once the books are open who even knows what wonky poo poo the government could find.

Yeah, and I totally agree and think the government should keep going after them and they need to be shut down. I was just answering the original question "why isn't Scientology illegal like Hezbollah?".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fuller was the one, and only one, thing that made Star Trek Discovery interesting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

I'm setting the over/under for the Borg episode that ends with them erasing their memory banks and swearing never to speak of it again at Season 2 Episode 6

I wish they would leave the Borg alone, they worked best when they were a looming threat, and not just a monster of the week. I mean it made sense that they were in Voyager, but drat it was also Voyager.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If they keep up this trend, the next Star Trek Series will take place in 2013.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

If they keep up this trend, the next Star Trek Series will take place in 2013.

With how much time travel there was involving the Original Series, it would actually be interesting to have a Search for Not-Spock the series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Make a new ST in the prime universe that's what everyone wants. Make it after the Dominion War, make it include all those geo-political shifts, make it about people in favor of militarizing Starfleet following a near existential military defeat vs. people who want to preserve the Federations peaceful mission. Make it about exploring the Gamma Quadrant, make it about only Klingons or whatever just stop moving backwards in time because you are afraid of confusing people who don't know the movies and TV are different. Stop making shows for the stupidest people in the world. Thank you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just stop making star trek.

Just let it die.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snak posted:

Just stop making star trek.

Just let it die.

Yeah, probably, but then what will fill that Star Trek hole in our souls?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In a media landscape where the only thing that matters are proven IPs with a deep and extendable universe, I don't see Paramount doing that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

At this point I'm highly skeptical this show will get a second season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, probably, but then what will fill that Star Trek hole in our souls?

Stargate was doing a bangup job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

At this point I'm highly skeptical this show will get a second season.

It already had the second best debut for a scripted show since This Is Us, and after they adjusted it, it tied with This Is Us. I mean, it could crater of course but right now it's a smash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did I see people trashing This Is Us? Maybe in the Orville thread?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Stargate was doing a bangup job.

And I think we're ready for a reboot, but alas MGM probably can't afford it and even if they could they don't understand why SG-1 and Atlantis were good. Maybe they'll forget to breathe and be replaced by someone who does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

It already had the second best debut for a scripted show since This Is Us, and after they adjusted it, it tied with This Is Us. I mean, it could crater of course but right now it's a smash.

Oh. I thought you were talking about Discovery. Strike that. Borg weren't even around yet :downs:

• Locked thread