Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Gonna :lol: if Octopath outsells the latest Final Fantasy Road Trip

It won't. FF mainline games still actually sell really well and JRPGs sell much worse than people think

Most recent figures I can find: FF15 sold more than 6 million, Persona 5 sold less than 2.

Lifetime sales of the first Bravely Default were like, 1 million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Persona 5 would have some drat good sales on Switch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bravely Default sold better than Lightning Returns I think but that isn't exactly mainline so

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is Octopath going to be $60

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Bravely Default sold better than Lightning Returns I think but that isn't exactly mainline so

The best game released that month was Tropical Freeze.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GreenNight posted:

Persona 5 would have some drat good sales on Switch.

I’d buy it. On Switch.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
loving doom holy poo poo.

i bet its already been asked given the amount of replies since i last posted but: is doomguy gonna be in smash? are we getting a doomguy amiibo?

also doom 16 is coded hilariously well, my rig i built in 2011 runs it at full speed while looking decent. 60fps on switch at 720p. believe it. also im gonna double dip if that boxart is real, miles better than the ps4/x1 boxarts.

kinda hoping for a doom/doom2/final doom/doom 64 collection pack too running on some kind of gzdoom with custom wad support via the sd card. do it nintendo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i bet its already been asked given the amount of replies since i last posted but: is doomguy gonna be in smash? are we getting a doomguy amiibo?

No idea and no idea.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lakbay posted:

Is Octopath going to be $60

I think it'll be $30-40, I don't think it's getting a physical release.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GreenNight posted:

No idea and no idea.

its gonna happen, count on it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Put BJ Blazkowicz in Mario Kart tia

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
BJ Blast Kart Whiz

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Big doomguy amiibo like the cover, I'd make it my table mantelpiece

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Glory kills in Smash? :unsmigghh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Anyone play this? On the eShop as of today.

http://www.kingdomthegame.com/

$15.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

most people miss this but the Switch DOOM cover art is actually the alternate reversed cover art for the other console versions. I switched it to that cover immediately. I'm happy the DOOM devs realized their mistake and rectified it with the Switch version.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GreenNight posted:

Anyone play this? On the eShop as of today.

http://www.kingdomthegame.com/

$15.

Didn't know about this, but it has great reviews on Steam.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Octopath tickles me just right; I tend to hate faux-retro aesthetics but it manages to really look fantastic. I like how it carries itself overall. Also, I guess we're to the point with JRPGs that I was actually pretty surprised it has full on random encounters in the field instead of dudes wandering around that you run into to engage.

Goddamn your av in my field of vision is loving triggering

i'm damaged

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Oh hey, just saw Lovers in a Dangerous Space-time was announced. Great coop game!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Neddy Seagoon posted:

220 page hardcover artbook, steelcase, soundtrack 'selection' CD.

Not going to lie, this is a disappointment. I want the full soundtrack :smith:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How do I beat the brigand boss in octopath? I just don't have enough healing items to tank the fight and I don't do enough damage to kill anyone before the boss KO's me with his special attack.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Frankston posted:

How do I beat the brigand boss in octopath? I just don't have enough healing items to tank the fight and I don't do enough damage to kill anyone before the boss KO's me with his special attack.

Just Break him whenever he uses Bide, then hit him very hard. Repeat until victorious.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Most recent figures I can find: FF15 sold more than 6 million, Persona 5 sold less than 2.

loving travesty. I mean, it's not that Persona 5 had that much of a better story, but it wasn't the hunk of poo poo FFXV was. And, it oozed character. FFXV just had cheeky product placement, drop crotch pants, and barren woodlands. Outside of the battle system being alright, perhaps the worst Final Fantasy game I've ever played. (I skipped X-2.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You skipped the best one

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

enojy posted:

loving travesty. I mean, it's not that Persona 5 had that much of a better story, but it wasn't the hunk of poo poo FFXV was. And, it oozed character. FFXV just had cheeky product placement, drop crotch pants, and barren woodlands. Outside of the battle system being alright, perhaps the worst Final Fantasy game I've ever played. (I skipped X-2.)
I mean...FFXV has been out for longer, is on more current-gen platforms, and has been significantly discounted multiple times since its release. Those Persona 5 numbers are nothing to sneeze at.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am buying doom switch physically because this is a momentous occasion (the best fps since half life 2 on the best console ever)

Gaben, port the half life and portal series to switch please.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
With the addition of Doom I'm gonna have 6 or 7 physical games for my switch this year, as optimistic as I've been about the console that's a whole lot better than I expected.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Manticore posted:

Just Break him whenever he uses Bide, then hit him very hard. Repeat until victorious.

Both of the bosses have a super move which you can cancel by breaking. I think that's gonna be a thing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's SaGa and how is Octopath like it?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Anyone care to post thoughts on Quest of Dungeons or Kingdom: Two Crowns?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

100YrsofAttitude posted:

who cares just play it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are five rpg series. Dragon quest, final Fantasy, secret of Mana, Chrono trigger, and earthbound.

I think saga is a secret of Mana

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There are five rpg series. Dragon quest, final Fantasy, secret of Mana, Chrono trigger, and earthbound.

Not even remotely.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The five RPGs you meet in heaven, after you are murdered to get dark souls onto the Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh, sorry. I forgot about ys. It's a ys.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
SaGa Frontier has multiple protagonists with their own individual, unique plots in a shared gameworld, that's the similarity with Octopath from what they've shown of the game so far.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

100YrsofAttitude posted:

SaGa is a series of extremely fun and janky RPGs from Square, which generally feature multiple protagonists to choose from with their own story and a more open-world style of gameplay.

Judging from the demo Octopath seems be pretty similar, but missing the jank and with an actual budget.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

SaGa is lesser-known Square RPG series that started as a trilogy on Gameboy that was released in the US as "Final Fantasy Legend," followed by an SNES series of three more games called "Romancing SaGa" that never made it out of Japan until it got re-released on mobile recently, and then a PS1 series of two more called SaGa Frontier during that phase when pretty much every mediocre RPG was getting a US release in the wake of FF7.

The comparisons come from SaGa Frontier being structured as seven disparate smaller stories of individual characters that intertwine with one another.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nope, Secret of Mana is the second game in the Seiken Densetsu series (which started with what came to the US as "Final Fantasy Adventure" and remade as "Adventures of Mana") and is in fact a spinoff of Final Fantasy.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 14, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So you're saying it's a final fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're gonna be extremely reductive about RPGs then how do Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest not end up in the same extremely reductive category

• Locked thread