Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Burkion posted:

Jokes on you

I saw 1998 Godzilla in theaters. I learned that lesson a year early

:smuggo:

Same. Life lost a wee bit of its luster that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Wizchine posted:

Same. Life lost a wee bit of its luster that day.

Thankfully I was in Kindergarten when G98 came out, so it took me several years to realize it was bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was 8 when it came out and ended up having to leave the cinema because I was scared. And possibly also bored.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wizchine posted:

The Phaontom Menace's high numbers are easily explained: there was much pent-up excitement and demand for a new Star Wars movie so that everyone wanted to see it, even when reviews didn't come back stellar. The performance of the subsequent two prequels more accurately reflect the deflated expectations people had for the story Lucas had embarked upon.

That's half correct. People kept going to see The Phantom Menace and were still turning out in the cinema 3 months later (just like a regular popular blockbuster) but with Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith the number sharply dropped off after the third weekend, which is exactly the same pattern as The Force Awakens and Rogue One. That means that the performance of the subsequent two prequels more accurately reflect modern audiences' reaction towards Star Wars in general.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...Star-Wars-Story

tl;dr: Jar Jar Binks ruined Star Wars forever

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The reviews for the prequels weren't that bad anyway, they weren't great but they weren't the angry nerd hyperbole that is now associated with those movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SHUT THE gently caress UP

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I genuinely forgot what thread I was posting in :psyduck:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, because you two have been arguing over this for like three days.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Shin Gojira is a good movie and I hope we're gonna be seeing more giant monster movies come out of Japan again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, back on topic. Scifijapan.com published an article the other week with a bunch of new info from Toho but this is the bit that everyone seems to have latched onto:

quote:

Godzilla is the largest life form ever recorded and possesses unique body tissue integrated with metal-like muscle fibers, which can generate a strong electromagnetic charge, to support his massive weight. The end result of natural selection on Earth, he originated from plant-based life and has gone on to survive 20,000 long years as a super-evolved living organism.

Well that's ..... different.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Can I smoke Godzilla?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm guessing they're going down the "We can't kill Godzilla - he's connected to the entire planet!" road.

So no, you can't smoke Godzilla.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He can smoke you, by god.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

K. Waste posted:

He can smoke you, by godzilla.

ftfy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing they're going down the "We can't kill Godzilla - he's connected to the entire planet!" road.

So no, you can't smoke Godzilla.

I get the impression that the poster isn't using "smoke" colloquially, but rather asking if you could scrape off some bits of Godzilla, load them into a pipe, and smoke them.

Which is an interesting question, honestly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That is what I meant. How high can I get off of Godzilla?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Waffleman_ posted:

That is what I meant. How high can I get off of Godzilla?

Depends on how high he throws ya

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
On Godzilla, you can get up to 118.5 meters high.

Off Godzilla, well, it really depends on how good you are at climbing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I get the impression that the poster isn't using "smoke" colloquially, but rather asking if you could scrape off some bits of Godzilla, load them into a pipe, and smoke them.

Which is an interesting question, honestly.

Given that Godzilla doesn't light himself on fire every time he uses his atomic breath, we can say that he's very hard to ignite.

So you probably can't smoke Godzilla. It might be possible to powder and snort him though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Most hikers die before reaching Godzilla's summit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Most hikers die before reaching Godzilla's summit.

Mostly due to radiation poisoning though.

Those ticks are the second biggest casualty

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Burkion posted:

Mostly due to radiation poisoning though.

I actually have a comic about this from I want to say IDW.

A famous mountaineer is hired to climb Godzilla wearing a radiation suit to take samples, some dudes shoot at big G but pierce the suit.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Dark Horse also had a comic to this effect, which featured an attack by one of the above mentioned giant radioactive ticks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla had to climb his way out of hell so I’m sure he appreciates good climbing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Thankfully I was in Kindergarten when G98 came out, so it took me several years to realize it was bad.

same, and i still like the part with the baby godzillas (but thats cause that segment was more jurassic park 2.0 then godzilla)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Godzilla Final Wars is the most 2004 movie.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
final wars is a timeless classic

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Godzilla: Final Wars is the best movie

but not the best Godzilla movie because you could cut all of Godzilla's scenes out and I wouldn't notice or care

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

Godzilla Final Wars is the most 2004 movie.

every time I see the Godzilla vs. Godzilla 1998 fight I assume that the awful Sum41 track has been added in by 12-year old youtubers and then I remember, no, that was actually in the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HannibalBarca posted:

every time I see the Godzilla vs. Godzilla 1998 fight I assume that the awful Sum41 track has been added in by 12-year old youtubers and then I remember, no, that was actually in the movie.

Yep. The movie is really like that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually that scene is loving awesome and great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

The music choice, the shittier CGI, the instant takedown and death. It really shows how much Toho loving hated Zilla.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
There's a billion Godzilla fan-made music videos and they're all set to Skillet's Monster or Imagine Dragons' Radioactive.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I just rewatched the original Godzilla and then Shin Godzilla and now I kinda want to throw out my horror list for October and just watch Kaiju films.

I haven't watched Shin Godzilla since it was in theatres and I still love it. There's some truly horrifying imagery while also being funny as hell. I totally forgot about the train bombs at the end and I practically fist-pumped when they showed up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Imagine Dragons is this decade's Sum 41.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually that scene is loving awesome and great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

The music choice, the shittier CGI, the instant takedown and death. It really shows how much Toho loving hated Zilla.

It's the shortest kaiju fight in the entire franchise and it's one of the best.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm surprised they didn't open the film with that fight. Sorry, "fight".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I probably mention this every time it comes up but I saw Final Wars in a cinema in Melbourne Australia and when he threw Zilla into the Sydney Opera House and it exploded there was a HUGE cheer. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think kaiju movies tend to prove that the natives of any country love seeing their national monuments and cities spectacularly destroyed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think kaiju movies tend to prove that the natives of any country love seeing their national monuments and cities spectacularly destroyed.

9/11 was the greatest day of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
There's no greater sadness than excitedly buying a Gamera double feature that I found in the back dusty shelf of a chain dvd/cd/hi-fi/electronics shop, before getting home and realising I already own it :(