Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Master Yi is actually really hard, you've got to time the q just right to disjoint attacks! Draven can't even disjoint attacks....

the timing of your level 7 mastery spam has to be just right or the dumbass you just ganked won't disconnect out of shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hey buddy he has a skill shot back off!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im very very sick today so i had to take the medicine that fucks me up real bad and i come in here reading a serious argument that draven is mechanically easier than literally any other champ, but also you picked the champ where the mechanic is counting to four

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

rabidsquid posted:

im very very sick today so i had to take the medicine that fucks me up real bad and i come in here reading a serious argument that draven is mechanically easier than literally any other champ, but also you picked the champ where the mechanic is counting to four

Hey now, he also has to wait 2.5 seconds before he can shoot again. Don't make this any dumber than it already was

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm also really sick today and while reading the thread in my bed I had to stop for a moment to consider whether it was real or a fever/medicine-induced confusion that someone ranked Ezreal in the same tier as Riven, with Elise right next to it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Elentor posted:

I'm also really sick today and while reading the thread in my bed I had to stop for a moment to consider whether it was real or a fever/medicine-induced confusion that someone ranked Ezreal in the same tier as Riven, with Elise right next to it.

I like how I managed to gently caress up dunking on this list

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man it's fine, at least you didn't write it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Did anyone else just get the Riot Survey about Tournament rewards? Because it was really long and complicated and kind of janky.

Basically it looks like they're testing the waters on if people want to do something that's more Pay-to-Play with better rewards, or more Free-to-Play with less rewards. I personally went for the latter because I'm not sinking RP into tournament tickets, that's dumb. (Basically I picked rewards that let you play again for free as my top priority, followed by "give me cool poo poo if I fail out but I won't play the next day.")

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Draven is probably in top 3 most mechanically intense champions in the game tbqh

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Sexpansion posted:

Websites gettin real serious about soloqueue

This is a pretty handy guide if you read it as "just dont play anything listed as having 'intense' or 'hard' mechanics", then ignore the rest of the chart.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I understand that where the Axe lands signals to the enemy that he might want to stand there. I understand playing around this requires some Mechanical Skill. I just don't think it is enough to rank him at the very top of Marksman (TM) difficulty.

I main jungle though, and am not Diamond tier either. I would posit that players ranked lower than Diamon understand that Draven might want to move towards the blinking circle that buffs him when he stands in it tho.

no the mechanical skill comes by using your movements to subtly guide where the axes can go so that you are in a safe potion to auto from where the enemy support or adc can not harass you for free. this involves reading the minion wave to know where you need to be and understanding enemy zone of control to put the axes roughly where you want them, on the fly, every time you auto attack. draven has a low mechanical skill floor because you do not need to do all of that until you get to diamond but at higher elos this becomes more and more mandatory

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

no the mechanical skill comes by using your movements to subtly guide where the axes can go so that you are in a safe potion to auto from where the enemy support or adc can not harass you for free. this involves reading the minion wave to know where you need to be and understanding enemy zone of control to put the axes roughly where you want them, on the fly, every time you auto attack. draven has a low mechanical skill floor because you do not need to do all of that until you get to diamond but at higher elos this becomes more and more mandatory

Yeah I didn't realize the axe rebound angle was pre determined I thought it was semi random. I realize my error, and with bile rising in my throat, must admit that (some) Draven players have put in the work to master a difficult hero.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah I didn't realize the axe rebound angle was pre determined I thought it was semi random. I realize my error, and with bile rising in my throat, must admit that (some) Draven players have put in the work to master a difficult hero.

This is why you don't take prof milk's word as fact

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

How it works is that, upon impact, a Spinning Axe will bounce back towards Draven, with the drop location being determined by his current movement. If he's not moving at the time of impact, it will travel back towards him, landing in a radius around him. If he is moving at the time of impact, it will travel in front of him, landing again in a small radius. You effectively have to pre-plan every minor movement you make, because you don't have the luxury of frequently course correcting if you, say, toss an axe, start moving towards a location, see that it's putting you in danger, and then retreating (because you'll drop an axe and become significantly less useful in a teamfight). This is part of why he's not really played much competitively: people who understand how his axes work can predict his movements more easily than other ADCs and punish him for it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Remember when draven had an extra 30 damage an auto at 1 from his passive

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Literally 3 autos and ignite killed sona

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

its curtains for Kevin posted:

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_hyfctP2U

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Yep

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Some more rune previews, this time for Resolve. Demolish looks pretty drat good for tanks. It's always nice seeing more ways to pressure towers that aren't just "bring more ADCs."

Also, for our very own kingcobweb, the current PBE Janna changes. Thoughts?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looking forward to new janna

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vermain posted:

Some more rune previews, this time for Resolve. Demolish looks pretty drat good for tanks. It's always nice seeing more ways to pressure towers that aren't just "bring more ADCs."

Also, for our very own kingcobweb, the current PBE Janna changes. Thoughts?

I was losing my goddamned mind until I saw that last line.

My earnest impression of Riot design-speak incoming:

What they're doing is sharpening Janna's identity as an anti-melee, anti-engage support, but now she has the tools to more effectively bully them in lane than she did before, with the tradeoff of not being able to bullshit her way out of difficult matchups by spamming E and standing behind the minion wave.

People that don't play bot lane probably don't realize that Janna is one of the shortest-ranged ranged champions in the game. On live, her range is only 25 more than Thresh; if you actually auto a Thresh when they're not locked into an animation, he can always auto back, since 25 range is trivial to move during the animation of Janna's auto.

Giving her 75 additional range is huge. 550 is Corki/Draven/Nami/Sona/Soraka/etc etc etc range. Between the range and the bonus magic damage, she has the tools to absolutely punish melee champs in bot lane.

Currently, if she's against a champ that she "counters" like Leona/Alistar/Rakan, she can't actually go near them unless their engage tool is on cooldown (or the Janna player is incredibly confident in their reactive Q timing). Now, she'll be able to treat those champs closer to how she treats no-engage supports like Braum and Tahm where she just autos them over and over until they stand under their tower. Now, instead of that just being an annoyance, she can deal some serious damage, with way more safety. 550 range plus being able to ghost through minions is just unfair.

What they're trying to do with W is make it a real skill instead of just leveling for bonus movespeed. A while ago, someone advocated maxing W against Morgana to break her shield; on live that's really dumb, but it'll be super tempting to max W just to win lane against a melee support. I'm not sure this is gonna work, since the added E cooldown gives you more reasons to really crave those sweet sweet points in E.

Speaking of E, her uptime on live with shield is 50% with 0% CDR, and no one has 0% CDR. Even if you're playing something to punish her, like Nami or Sona, it's the most obnoxious poo poo on the planet: you have to super carefully not spend any mana or overcommit during that >50% time when their lane has more AD and eHP than yours does. It's giving bully supports more ~windows of opportunity~ to go in on her.

It'll definitely make Janna play more aggressively, but take way more risks. If she throws out a Q that misses and her E is on cooldown, she's a caster minion for like twice the length of time that an all-in lasts.

If I'm reading the Q changes right, "always reaches its endpoint in 1.5 seconds" means that it will not only go further but move faster if it's charged, since it's taking the same amount of time to travel further range?? Need to confirm that's how it works before analyzing it, but it just means that fully-charged tornadoes aren't as trivial to dodge any more.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
So the changes are Cool and Good? It seemed that way to me, but it's always nice to hear opinions from people who actually main the champion. This feels like it makes it so you're rewarded for being a good Janna who knows how to apply force instead of just sitting behind the ADC and pressing E to me.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
did I miss Morgana chat? gently caress

I will admit that whenever I play Morgana, I expect to be carried. She can still carry, it's just that her main damage/combo is so loving slow, the enemy team has to walk one by one towards you.

though if it hits, the combo still does a lot of damage and flash+ult+zhonyas can win team fights ez.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Ezreal...
es
basura...

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Camel Camus posted:

Ezreal...
es
basura...

Yes, yes he is.

Why would you pick Ez when you could pick a good ADC like Twitch? I won a game last night I had no business winning. Got trashed bottom as Twitch with a Nautilus support, like bought a Cull and farmed against inner tower trashed. We won because we managed to not outright lose and at 35 minutes I was six slotted and exploding half their team with 2-3 Sewer Skewers. Twitch's new voice lines make him so satisfying to play too

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Yes, yes he is.

Why would you pick Ez when you could pick a good ADC like Twitch? I won a game last night I had no business winning. Got trashed bottom as Twitch with a Nautilus support, like bought a Cull and farmed against inner tower trashed. We won because we managed to not outright lose and at 35 minutes I was six slotted and exploding half their team with 2-3 Sewer Skewers. Twitch's new voice lines make him so satisfying to play too

ezreal is really good if you are playing 1v2 because there is a trilane top with no jungler

honestly i love normals but sometimes it is too much

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you would play ezreal because he's fun, any time he's not literally unplayable i will consider playing him any game because its fun to shoot qs and gapclose with your e

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

you would play ezreal because he's fun, any time he's not literally unplayable i will consider playing him

this is why I play zed

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 14, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Servaetes posted:

I'm all for picking what you like so long as it's not to the detriment of everyone else. Brace people before taking them to wacky town, not sell all your items and buy a triforce on Vlad because you're trying to do a YouTube montage video to Undertale music

You also forfeit your ability to complain when your wacky bullshit backfires, imho

The whole box system kinda forces you to make dumb picks tho. No one's champion pool is big enough to last all season for rewards and so yeah I'm gonna play off meta bad tank supports and rely on my general game knowledge and hope I win some all ins.

Just got a box on skarner playing with a friend twitch vs D1 Draven and morg.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ArbitraryC posted:

The whole box system kinda forces you to make dumb picks tho. No one's champion pool is big enough to last all season for rewards and so yeah I'm gonna play off meta bad tank supports and rely on my general game knowledge and hope I win some all ins.

Just got a box on skarner playing with a friend twitch vs D1 Draven and morg.

play with friends and goons and this isn't a problem, I have 6 boxes and 2 key fragments at the moment

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

How Rude posted:

play with friends and goons and this isn't a problem, I have 6 boxes and 2 key fragments at the moment

i think I've kept up almost the entire season and have like 9 boxes right now but I only got here because I pick stupid poo poo like shen support specifically to get a box.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I have 13 boxes...

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I have 14 boxes I think? even if you're bad, the system is busted if you play in premades regularly

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I have 18 keys. None of my friends play this game anymore and there are no goons on EUNE.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Transfer your account to EUW, there's like, 3 of us.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
somebody queue up with me tonight so I can get some loving chests

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have like 20 keys but no boxes because I only play like 4 champions

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

el dingo posted:

Transfer your account to EUW, there's like, 3 of us.

Do you know how much it costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Do you know how much it costs?

2300 Riot Points, because gently caress you that's why

• Locked thread