Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Beau James is fascinating; his career appears to be a bad Jerry Lawler cosplay. Does he just pay guys like Ricky Morton to have matches with him? If so, I wonder how he affords it because I doubt he's making a fortune promoting indie wrestling in Kingsport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can not.
For the life of me.
Figure out Beau James.
I think he actually worked for USWA. Which I can not comprehend. Was there a point in his career where he could actually be called a pro wrestler? Or was he just an intern willing to get his rear end kicked by anybody Jerry Jarrett put in the ring with him?

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
What is the origin of the BRAINBUSTAAAAAAH call for indy commentators? Is it just a copy of Japanese announcers?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I can not.
For the life of me.
Figure out Beau James.
I think he actually worked for USWA. Which I can not comprehend. Was there a point in his career where he could actually be called a pro wrestler? Or was he just an intern willing to get his rear end kicked by anybody Jerry Jarrett put in the ring with him?

There were a lot of dudes in USWA who were barely wrestlers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Because at the end of the day amount of merch and how prominently displayed is based on how much they like you/the size of your push so it's meaningless unless someone they hate is selling boatloads.

Faces tend to sell more merch than heels in the overall stats but considering Cena is a merch machine a heel run with "You Should Give Up" shirts or something would go gangbusters.

Also there's a bit of a double standard here as well, there's a whole world of difference between "evil sexy girl who's kind of like Harley Quinn" and your general wrestling heel. It really ties into wish fulfillment and all that noise. To use comic books as an example, tons of people buy Joker and Harley Quinn stuff, but nobody out there is clamoring for a bunch of, IDK, General Zod merchandise. When you have villains that are compelling, play into wish fulfillment fantasy, or are just plain ole badasses people like them even though they're the bad guys. IE people want Alex Bliss merch for the same reason they want House Greyjoy T-shirts.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
that's correct and all but nobody likes the Greyjoys

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

TheCool69 posted:

What is the origin of the BRAINBUSTAAAAAAH call for indy commentators? Is it just a copy of Japanese announcers?

Probably but I think this was the launching point for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1sugcporc

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Who the gently caress wants a House Greyjoy t-shirt

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Who the gently caress wants a House Greyjoy t-shirt

People who are willing to pay the iron price.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

that's correct and all but nobody likes the Greyjoys

Yara's kinda cool sometimes. And Theon no-sold a low blow in the finale, so that was cool, I guess?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Yara's kinda cool sometimes. And Theon no-sold a low blow in the finale, so that was cool, I guess?

Theon should have gone full Human Tornado and after no selling the low blow, pimp slapped the guy

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with Jarrett leaving GFW? I only hear people like Cornette/others close to him or the business talking about it in the vaguest of terms as it being personal issues. Anything concrete out there?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's the deal with Jarrett leaving GFW? I only hear people like Cornette/others close to him or the business talking about it in the vaguest of terms as it being personal issues. Anything concrete out there?

He showed up at TripleMania loving wasted and embarrassed everyone involved

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

He showed up at TripleMania loving wasted and embarrassed everyone involved

Weirdly enough that was kind of what I'd expected judging by the tone everyone was taking on podcasts

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I didn't know he actually came out to a MATCH wasted which I just discovered I thought it was like backstage stuff. that was almost Jeff hardy-sting levels of embarrassing

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

That was merely the final straw after a string of outbursts and generally being a nightmare to work with

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

What are some of Hiroshi Tanahashi's very best matches? I only started watching NJPW relatively recently (The G1 Climax, and some AXS TV before that) and I understand that he was their biggest star for a while, but I'm not very impressed so far from what I've seen. I know he was injured for the G1 and probably before it too, and despite a bicep tear he was still good but he's clearly nigh-legendary and I want to see why.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dromal phrenia posted:

What are some of Hiroshi Tanahashi's very best matches? I only started watching NJPW relatively recently (The G1 Climax, and some AXS TV before that) and I understand that he was their biggest star for a while, but I'm not very impressed so far from what I've seen. I know he was injured for the G1 and probably before it too, and despite a bicep tear he was still good but he's clearly nigh-legendary and I want to see why.

Tanahashi-Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 10 is usually considered a perfect match

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Dear lord that... I guess it was supposed to be a 3D?! :gonk:
And Eddie somehow lands safely on his back, great instincts I guess!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Aesop Poprock posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know he actually came out to a MATCH wasted which I just discovered I thought it was like backstage stuff. that was almost Jeff hardy-sting levels of embarrassing

it was in the latest botchamania, he was tossing tortillas to the crowd, apparently never made it into the ring, and was just making a total rear end of himself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The TripleMania crowd was subject to the second worst thing that can happen to a wrestling fan: being reminded that Jeff Jarrett exists. Second only to the worst thing, seeing Jarrett wrestle a match. Let's never speak of this again.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Is TripleMania always a clusterfuck or did something just go wrong this year? Watching the full Botchamania, holy hell.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Aesop Poprock posted:

Also their matches in Wrestle Kingdom 9 and 7.

You kind of can't lose with anything vs. Okada or Nakamura from like 2012-2016.

e: Also vs. AJ Styles, though there are more Bullet Club interference gently caress finishes with some of those IIRC.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

it was in the latest botchamania, he was tossing tortillas to the crowd, apparently never made it into the ring, and was just making a total rear end of himself.

Oh he made it in the ring. it's online. And it's pretty bad. He randomly throws someones beer into the crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R45Uwtx_28w

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

spongeh posted:

Is TripleMania always a clusterfuck or did something just go wrong this year? Watching the full Botchamania, holy hell.

this was one of its best organized years actually

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hmmmmm....

1) Blackballed himself out of ever going back to WWE.
2) Failed as a promoter, then failed again.
3) Doesn't know anything but wrestling because he grew up in the business.
4) Getting up there in years by pro-wrestling standards.

Yeah, that seems like a perfect recipe for substance abuse.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

Tanahashi/Suzuki from King of Pro-Wrestling 2012 was arguably the match (and show) that really put New Japan back on the map in the US.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

spongeh posted:

La Parka placed a skeletal bone magic curse on Triplemania after his controversial victory/defeat/victory/I can't remember/defeat/victory.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
What's Jericho's new book like?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“dromal phrenia”" post="“476397662”"]
What are some of Hiroshi Tanahashi’s very best matches? I only started watching NJPW relatively recently (The G1 Climax, and some AXS TV before that) and I understand that he was their biggest star for a while, but I’m not very impressed so far from what I’ve seen. I know he was injured for the G1 and probably before it too, and despite a bicep tear he was still good but he’s clearly nigh-legendary and I want to see why.
[/quote]

There’s a pretty great Shibata/Tanahashi match from Destruction in Kobe in 2014, which has my favorite “almost counted out” spot ever. There’s also his title defense against Suzuki at Wrestle Kingdom VI, there’s a pair of really good Nakamura matches in 2011 - I want to say at Dontaku and the G1 Climax - and anything with him versus Okada turned out really, really good, except maybe arguably their first one, the New Beginning match that came out of the challenge following the above-mentioned Suzuki match.

And while watching all of this, remember: this motherfucker came back to wrestling from being stabbed to become the “Once in A Century Ace”.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Why do some wrestlers eat healthy and bulk (salad, white meats etc...) and then you have someone like Braun who basically eats eggs and cake and is crazy big and not overweight?

Is there a difference between what you eat? Cause I'd just eat the cake and eggs like

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Different people have different metabolisms. That Braun trains powerlifting also leads to different food requirements than a lot of the guys who train more in bodybuilding. (Also if his IG is to be believed, his diet is still largely LOTS of protein, plus a small bit of desert, which is not going to matter to someone his size.)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 14, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Different people have different metabolisms. That Braun trains powerlifting also leads to different food requirements than a lot of the guys who train more in bodybuilding.

Once you start needing 6-10k calories a day to maintain your mass/strength it becomes about efficiency of calorie intake as anything. Eating clean is great and important for us mortals but when it becomes eating 12 pounds of healthy food a day vs. 8 pounds of just whatever, plus the training and traveling and performing, it becomes a lot less about quality of calories and just getting enough in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Braun is fit but not exactly trying to look like Lex Luger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Once you start needing 6-10k calories a day to maintain your mass/strength it becomes about efficiency of calorie intake as anything. Eating clean is great and important for us mortals but when it becomes eating 12 pounds of healthy food a day vs. 8 pounds of just whatever, plus the training and traveling and performing, it becomes a lot less about quality of calories and just getting enough in.

Yeah, to further answer the OP: you could probably devise a diet that consists solely of cake and eggs where you lose weight (or maintain your current), but it wouldn't be balanced, and you probably wouldn't be eating a whole lot of either.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Why do some wrestlers eat healthy and bulk (salad, white meats etc...) and then you have someone like Braun who basically eats eggs and cake and is crazy big and not overweight?

Is there a difference between what you eat? Cause I'd just eat the cake and eggs like

The harder/more you work out the more calories you need to ingest. A wrestler that just wants to maintain their look and stay in shape is gonna need less calories than a giant guy that's building giant muscles all day long.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Thanks dudes

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

magnum_valentino posted:

What's Jericho's new book like?

Poorly ghost written self help book

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tanahashis series with Okada is highly regarded but imo his best match is the 2015 g1 finals against Nakamura (also nakamuras best match)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not as good without the rest of the feud to put it into context tho

e: also, off the top of my head, Tanahashi/Suzuki from KOPW 2012, Tanahashi/Styles from the 2015 G1, Tanahashi/Anderson from The New Beginning 2013

regardless, go through the whole Tanahashi/Okada feud, it starts good and gets so much better

Venomous fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 14, 2017