Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

GutBomb posted:

I got a navy mission (to get promoted from midshipman) to steal some poo poo from some clean ship. Kinda hosed up for an official navy mission but whatever. Anyway it was my first time doing any sort of piracy and I hosed it up. Dude high waked on me after the third hatchbreaker limpet was done dumping some of his poo poo and the cops started shooting at me so I jumped back home and abandoned the mission. Got another one to assasinate some pirate lord and went and did it easily. As soon as he was dead the mission completely disappeared from my transactions and when I went back to the issuing station it wasn't available to hand in. Now the stations I'm friendly with don't have any navy missions even after logging out and board switching. Worth contacting support over or just try again tomorrow?

Just keep grinding rank, another one should show up. All the progress you make will still count towards the next rank. I remember getting promoted once and I was already over 50% on my next rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Just pretend it's bureaucratric red tape and immerse yourself in it.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

radintorov posted:

Libluini posted:

I feel psychologists would have a field day with most gamers

Slight correction there. :v:

Even more of a correction

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress passenger transport missions are lucrative as gently caress. I had all sorts of really good paying passenger transport missions due to grinding Fed. ranks and now I can afford an Anaconda for even more of that super sweet transport capacity after a few hours of ferrying NPCs.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Time for me to stop dicking about the Colonia bubble and make my way to Sag A*. From there, back to the main bubble, I suppose.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MoraleHazard posted:

Time for me to stop dicking about the Colonia bubble and make my way to Sag A*. From there, back to the main bubble, I suppose.

Strongly recommend waiting for 2.4 to go live. Plotting QOL changes are significant.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Strongly recommend waiting for 2.4 to go live. Plotting QOL changes are significant.

Well, maybe I'll outfit a dophin and run some pax missions.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You'd probably be back in the bubble before 2.4 goes live.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, please MoraleHazard. It'll be extremely embarrassing for me if you start now and finish your trip before I have time to cross the last 4k light years to the core myself.

So please, wait for 2.4 to go live! ( :v: )

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Did they finally make it so that you can plot multiple stops or do I still need to manually plot my routes?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think they are making the max plot 20k light years and accounting for boosted jumps through materials or neutron stars in your plot

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
How do you even find navy missions? I've been sitting at 100% no rank forever.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I feel like they already shoved some of the plotting into the main game. Enroute to colonia again right now, and the game is finishing plotting a 1000ly route before the map finishes scrolling over to the end point.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

The Protagonist posted:

Hang out in an empire station with lots of agents and toggle modes.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Protagonist posted:

You have to be friendly with a local faction and have to meet the other criteria (cargo capacity usually) and they are just regular missions but called Federal Navy Courier Mission for example. While you are at 100% now anything you've earned over that 100% will be applied to subsequent ranks which is nice.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I just snuck into the top 10% on this current bounty community goal and now i'm worried i'm gonna drop below that threshhold and therefore feel obligated to keep doing it. This is like WoW's old honor system all over again

(Incidentally, whether I stay in the top 10 or drop to 25 this is by far the most money i've ever had my hands on and I wish I'd been doing these all along)

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I did the previous 2 weeks, 15-16m was enough to stay in the top 10% till it ended.

Only sitting at 5m this time. Kinda burned out on it.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

anime tupac posted:

I just snuck into the top 10% on this current bounty community goal and now i'm worried i'm gonna drop below that threshhold and therefore feel obligated to keep doing it. This is like WoW's old honor system all over again

(Incidentally, whether I stay in the top 10 or drop to 25 this is by far the most money i've ever had my hands on and I wish I'd been doing these all along)

Considering this dev group, this comparison makes perfect sense.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally hitting my rhythm with bounty hunting now that I've got myself into a Vulture. Holy hell that thing is fun to fly. My moneymaker is still the AspE, but what should my next combat ship be? Do people like the Federal Assault ship?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Power Walrus posted:

Finally hitting my rhythm with bounty hunting now that I've got myself into a Vulture. Holy hell that thing is fun to fly. My moneymaker is still the AspE, but what should my next combat ship be? Do people like the Federal Assault ship?

Federal Assault Ship is great. Properly fitted it's a gigantic murderbrick. Hulltanking can be costly if you're doing PVE though, and the FAS is just too fat to have great shields. Still a top tier ship, though, don't let that scare you. Just know when it's time to leave. Like when your shields are down and the hostiles are shooting missiles.

Aside from that you have some other fun options:

Python makes a great battleship and is a common step up from where you are now. It can do just about anything pretty well, but its hardpoints (3 Large 2 mediums with great positioning) make it a great combat platform. It's not terribly fast or agile, but it's perfectly good if you know what you're doing. That'll set you back around 150 million, fully combat fit.

iClipper is another fun ship. It used to be god-tier, and while that's no longer the case its size and speed means it's still not to be taken lightly. A good clipper pilot is terrifying to go up against. They pack 2 larges and 2 mediums, and the larges are spaced far apart which makes it hard to use fixed weapons, since they just don't converge enough. Its main weapon will always be the nose, though. Clippers were made for ramming.

Finally, the Fer de Lance is probably the "best" choice overall. It is stupidly overpowered, and really ought to be nerfed at some point since it's basically the de-facto combat ship -- for good reason. Excellent internals, very hard hull, a huge hardpoint and 4 mediums, 6 utility slots and great top speed/handling make it really nasty. Pretty expensive, though.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Its main weapon will always be the nose, though. Clippers were made for ramming.

That sounds like my cuppa tea!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

If your iClipper isn't purple just like your laser beams you are doing it wrong

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Its main weapon will always be the nose, though. Clippers were made for ramming.

https://youtu.be/rTAx8r_090o

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Planet scan missions are ridiculous. I started doing them in HIP 10716 to grind up the final imp ranks to buy a cutter and I made so much money it covered the cost of the thing all by itself.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Finally made it to Colonia in a Sidewinder. Next up, Beagle Point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I recently traded in my Asp Explorer for a Diamondback Explorer and get 5 more light years jump range now than I could squeeze out of the Asp and fewer slots didn't really matter to me. I'm really liking the smaller more cool looking ship. Plus the lower rebuy is nice.

Mike the TV posted:

Finally made it to Colonia in a Sidewinder. Next up, Beagle Point.

What's your jump range?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

GutBomb posted:

What's your jump range?

26ly to Colonia, but I swapped my SRV for an AFM and a backup mining laser. (prepping for the update), so now I have almost 30ly range.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Power Walrus posted:

A well-engineered, heavily armored Federal Dropship is another option, if you want to watch your AI pilot zip around while you unload a kajillion multicannon rounds your confused enemies.

It's not a graceful murderer like my Fer-de-Lance, but it's a neat gimmick that I'd recommend trying sometime.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

So I'm new to CG and in Ho Hsi for the current combat zone one and its in ceasefire, what does that mean should I be going back to the CZ checking if ceasefire has finished... ???

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
All hands, brace for story.

FDev posted:

The Thargoids have attacked. Aegis, humanity’s first line of defence, researches new technologies to oppose the Thargoid threat.

The Initiative have selected Commander Mason and his valiant crew to test these weapons.

It’s time to start fighting back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38bHNSB4cDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKOvDNhY40I

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 14, 2017

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Release date September 26th.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy loving finally, the reason I waited to return to the game. :getin:

(looking forward to be disappointed to Powerplay/Cobra MkIV levels)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

A well-engineered, heavily armored Federal Dropship is another option, if you want to watch your AI pilot zip around while you unload a kajillion multicannon rounds your confused enemies.

It's not a graceful murderer like my Fer-de-Lance, but it's a neat gimmick that I'd recommend trying sometime.

Gunship not Dropship.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Wait why are we shooting at thargoids canonically? :confused:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Because there is no other available interaction with stuff in the game. Shoot it or scoop it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

There was probably a poll on the official forums at some point. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't it pretty common to find a bunch of human wreckage with a Thargoid doing the spaceship equivalent of walking away whistling?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Because gently caress anyone who wants to be "friends" with the ugly scuttlers. :colbert:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Getting a cool Freespace/Shivans vibe from the idea of developing new tech to adapt to the alien threat. An actual dynamic Thargoid campaign, even if it's still based on CGs, could be pretty cool if meaningful stuff actually happens.

Also a C3 missile launcher is exactly what I've been wanting for the corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

timn posted:

Getting a cool Freespace/Shivans vibe from the idea of developing new tech to adapt to the alien threat. An actual dynamic Thargoid campaign, even if it's still based on CGs, could be pretty cool if meaningful stuff actually happens.

Also a C3 missile launcher is exactly what I've been wanting for the corvette.

It'd be cool if they could pull it off. Fighting in Freespace 1 changed pretty dramatically when the Shivans arrived (omg shields!), it's hard to imagine Fdev rolling out something that fundamentally changes the nature of the game.

Speaking of, can someone clarify for me if the Thargoids are a new threat in the rebooted setting or have been fought before? I thought I read somewhere there's past with them in the setting, but that'd make the 'alien mystery' stuff over the past few years kind of nonsensical.

• Locked thread