Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Apple Store employee tried to get me to buy screen protectors. What has the world come to?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

wooger posted:

Pretty sure FaceID is a negative for most people. Camera stuff, meh.

OLED is nice but that screen shape is fugly, so balances out.
It's funny because a "virtual bezel" would be one of the most effective ways to showcase the OLED technology. That notch should diappear 95% of the time with nothing but the carrier/time info floating above the screen, it would look really slick. But instead Apple decided that people reeeeeeeeally hate bezels and that weird extra corners of screen space should be the defining visual element of the new phone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

To be fair, people haven't been able to shut up about (incorrectly) wanting edge to edge screens for years.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Swiping gestures to replace a physical button and wireless charging... its like I am going back in time and will have a WebOS phone again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

The original iPhone was $599 on contract. Unsubsidized iPhones cost $400 more, so you're actually getting the iPhone X for the same price, and that's without even accounting for inflation.

This isn't really true. The original iPhone was $599 on contract, but it didn't include a subsidy.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“Josh Lyman”" post="“476403527”"]
The original iPhone was $599 on contract. Unsubsidized iPhones cost $400 more, so you’re actually getting the iPhone X for the same price, and that’s without even accounting for inflation.
[/quote]

Or the fact that this poo poo is cheaper to manufacture. I mean, I get your point but let’s not pretend we’re being done a favour here.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Josh Lyman posted:

The original iPhone was $599 on contract. Unsubsidized iPhones cost $400 more, so you're actually getting the iPhone X for the same price, and that's without even accounting for inflation.

I'm not sure how historical pricing is supposed to affect a purchasing decision on the new one. We're not spending 2007 dollars.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

People have now started pointing out TouchID's flaws, like how they can't use it when they've just got out of a shower, or with gloves on, like FaceID is the saviour of us all. If Apple had never announced FaceID these same people would be countering any criticism of these same features by saying "how often do I have a shower though? Total non issue" and laughing at other phone's dumb aesthetics like notches.

What has Apple done to these people that they not only hand over money blindly, and are thankful for paying loads more than last year, and also denigrating stuff that was previously amazing to them?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Celery Jello posted:

I'm not sure how historical pricing is supposed to affect a purchasing decision on the new one. We're not spending 2007 dollars.

Plus $599 in 2007 dollars is about $700 in today's dollars, not withstanding the leaps and bounds of technological improvements that probably cost extra.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Durzel posted:

People have now started pointing out TouchID's flaws, like how they can't use it when they've just got out of a shower, or with gloves on, like FaceID is the saviour of us all. If Apple had never announced FaceID these same people would be countering any criticism of these same features by saying "how often do I have a shower though? Total non issue" and laughing at other phone's dumb aesthetics like notches.

What has Apple done to these people that they not only hand over money blindly, and are thankful for paying loads more than last year, and also denigrating stuff that was previously amazing to them?

Apple culture is weird. So much so, I have to ask:

Are there any tell-alls by people who worked at Apple? I feel that the higher up you are on the design and marketing chain, the more likely it is that you’re huffing your own farts. I mean there’s quite a bit of koolaid drinking on the retail front too, but there’s no juicy secrets or insights to be had there since employees don’t know anything more the public knows.

I wanna know apple’s design philosophy and how they’ve managed to produce a...unique fan base. I’d read Steve’s book but he seems like master fart huffer and from what little I know about him, I’m not sure I can trust him to paint a clear picture of the work environment in Apple’s higher offices.

e: I guess to add, it seems like the recent additions such as the SE, Watch, Plus models, and product line splintering seem like all unusual moves for Apple. How were these decisions made internally? How were disagreements sorted?

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 14, 2017

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

buglord posted:

I feel that the higher up you are on the design and marketing chain, the more likely it is that you’re huffing your own farts.

Not disagreeing, but this is the case at pretty much any company, period.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Durzel posted:

People have always pointed out TouchID's flaws (the moist fingers one was a really common complaint, esp since iPhone went water resistant). And I certainly have never heard anyone be thankful for having to pay more ... No one that works for their money, anyway.

I think a lot of people who are excited about the X, myself included, simply think FaceID is going to be quite good, because Apple does usually do 'their version' of existing tech with a bit more polish than others. It does suck to lose TouchID, and I wish it was under the display or on the back, but it's probably not the end of the world, since FaceID will probably work fine and we'll forget we were ever worried about it.

I'm annoyed at the price, because I basically want a Galaxy S8 running iOS and this isn't that, but I think people are just cautiously optimistic. I'm not seeing this 'denigrating stuff' out there ...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Didn’t Apple give people that bought the original iPhone money back after a price drop or something a few months later? I forgot the specifics but I remember using that to buy their shittastic Bluetooth headset that stopped working after 2 months.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 14, 2017

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

buglord posted:

Apple culture is weird. So much so, I have to ask:

Are there any tell-alls by people who worked at Apple? I feel that the higher up you are on the design and marketing chain, the more likely it is that you’re huffing your own farts. I mean there’s quite a bit of koolaid drinking on the retail front too, but there’s no juicy secrets or insights to be had there since employees don’t know anything more the public knows.

I wanna know apple’s design philosophy and how they’ve managed to produce a...unique fan base. I’d read Steve’s book but he seems like master fart huffer and from what little I know about him, I’m not sure I can trust him to paint a clear picture of the work environment in Apple’s higher offices.

e: I guess to add, it seems like the recent additions such as the SE, Watch, Plus models, and product line splintering seem like all unusual moves for Apple. How were these decisions made internally? How were disagreements sorted?
Didn't Apple's own anti-leaking strategy (that was leaked lol) talk about the company embedding people in teams whose singular purpose was to ingratiate themselves with others and see how susceptible they are to "anti-Apple thinking" etc? Basically spy games - but within.

Based on that I have to believe that there is active surveillance and that any hint of thought crime is seized upon very quickly, with those people being quickly marginalised out of the company. What you end up with anyone who has been there long enough either fully believes the hype and/or is terrified of appearing to dissent in case their whole family is vaporised.

Remember the TV series V? Basically that.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Pivo posted:

People have always pointed out TouchID's flaws (the moist fingers one was a really common complaint, esp since iPhone went water resistant). And I certainly have never heard anyone be thankful for having to pay more ... No one that works for their money, anyway.
I'm not suggesting that they didn't acknowledge the flaws, moreover that before FaceID was looking likely to be announced they would've massively downplayed their impact. Now, because FaceID is coming out, all these TouchID foibles are suddenly a big deal, as if they're having showers every hour or wearing gloves 24/7.

FWIW I also think FaceID will work fine, but it does change how you interact with the phone for sure. I think many people will be surprised at how natural and inconspicuous TouchID was to use. There will be situations where you currently use your iPhone idly without actually using it that simply won't be possible anymore. It occurred to me today that sat on my desk facing the ceiling I checked my iPhone several times, without actually picking it up.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 14, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

to be fair you can't use the screen with gloves either

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

[quote="“Durzel”" post="“476405784”"]

FWIW I also think FaceID will work fine, but it does change how you interact with the phone for sure. I think many people will be surprised at how natural and inconspicuous TouchID was to use. There will be situations where you currently use your iPhone idly without actually using it that simply won’t be possible anymore. It occurred to me today that sat on my desk facing the ceiling I checked my iPhone several times, without actually picking it up.
[/quote]

This is my biggest pause on getting the X. I use my phone at work all night long without picking it up changing music, checking notifications, etc. If I have to actually pick up my phone to do those things it will annoy the hell out of me. What the hell happened with having the screen being the home button? They filed a patent for the tech. It'll probably be in the XXX starring Ice Cube. :argh:

still getting the x

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“jabro”" post="“476406196”"]
This is my biggest pause on getting the X. I use my phone at work all night long without picking it up changing music, checking notifications, etc. If I have to actually pick up my phone to do those things it will annoy the hell out of me. What the hell happened with having the screen being the home button? They filed a patent for the tech. It’ll probably be in the XXX starring Ice Cube. :argh:

still getting the x
[/quote]

Unless I’m mistaking, I’m pretty sure you can still just check stuff like now without going to the home screen.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

why does everyone think you have to pick it up? it's completely not how they described the technology. it's supposed to work at any angle, as long as it can see your face

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

why does everyone think you have to pick it up? it's completely not how they described the technology. it's supposed to work at any angle, as long as it can see your face

Prob because it broke on the live demo

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

it locks out if someone-who-isn't-you tries to unlock it twice

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ethanol posted:

Prob because it broke on the live demo

It probably didn’t break though. It looked like he mistakenly used a phone that had the password reenabled since it didn’t ask him again for another face scan.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

an actual statement from Apple

quote:

You know how your iPhone would lock up after failing to authenticate someone else's fingerprints a few times? Apple examined the demo device's logs and found that the same thing happened to it. "People were handling the device for stage demo ahead of time, and didn't realize Face ID was trying to authenticate their face," a company rep explained. "After failing a number of times, because they weren't Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode."

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/14/apple-explains-face-id-fail/

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Pivo posted:

Yeah, and when it's sat face up on my desk it can't see my face. It's pretty easy to test, turn the selfie camera on, lay it down, and get a sense of how you currently use it without picking it up. Then peer over it until enough of your face that you think it'll need is showing. I'm pretty sure it's not going to unlock from seeing just the top of your head, eyebrows up.

Once you've established how much you have to go out of your way to peer over the top of it, for no other reason than for it to authenticate you, get used to it because that's what you'll be doing with this phone.

There's a reason the novelty of facial/iris recognition wears off fast. It doesn't really matter how fast it is (it'll only be so fast otherwise security/reliability will suffer), if using it changes the ergonomics of how you use the phone, particularly when you're not using as such, then it's going to feel unnatural, and arbitrary. As said before I think people will be surprised at how organic TouchID currently feels, to the point where you don't even realise what it's doing behind the scenes, like you're just pressing the Home button to start using the phone and boom it's coincidentally authenticated you, and has neither interrupted your flow or demanded that you act in a way that feels conspicuous.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 14, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pivo posted:

In most cases it isn’t going to be able to see your face until you pick it up.

Open the ffc on your phone and place it on your desk - even if the X has a much wider field of view it’ll still demonstrate the issue.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Durzel posted:

Yeah, and when it's sat face up on my desk it can't see my face. It's pretty easy to test, turn the selfie camera on, lay it down, and get a sense of how you currently use it without picking it up

well this is going to be one of those 'I guess we'll have to wait and see' things since none of us have played with it but it doesn't use the selfie camera, remember? it uses the IR camera, theoretically could be far wider. hopefully Apple has thought of that, but that is going to be a tradeoff.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Do you guys realize you can unlock your phone with a code if you don't want to pick your phone off your desk?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Over There posted:

Do you guys realize you can unlock your phone with a code if you don't want to pick your phone off your desk?
Yeah, I too love arbitrarily going back in time on my future phone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Over There posted:

Yes but currently I just place my finger in the home button and it unlocks instead of having to punch in a six digit code

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yes but currently I just place my finger in the home button and it unlocks instead of having to punch in a six digit code
Then use a 4 digit one doofus. It's less secure, but faster!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Durzel posted:

Didn't Apple's own anti-leaking strategy (that was leaked lol) talk about the company embedding people in teams whose singular purpose was to ingratiate themselves with others and see how susceptible they are to "anti-Apple thinking" etc? Basically spy games - but within.

Based on that I have to believe that there is active surveillance and that any hint of thought crime is seized upon very quickly, with those people being quickly marginalised out of the company. What you end up with anyone who has been there long enough either fully believes the hype and/or is terrified of appearing to dissent in case their whole family is vaporised.

Remember the TV series V? Basically that.

I don't think this is the case, because if you don't have anyone at your company willing to call out bad ideas, your products will be bad, and Apple products are usually good.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does it work with sunglasses

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Durzel posted:

Yeah, and when it's sat face up on my desk it can't see my face. It's pretty easy to test, turn the selfie camera on, lay it down, and get a sense of how you currently use it without picking it up. Then peer over it until enough of your face that you think it'll need is showing. I'm pretty sure it's not going to unlock from seeing just the top of your head, eyebrows up.

Once you've established how much you have to go out of your way to peer over the top of it, for no other reason than for it to authenticate you, get used to it because that's what you'll be doing with this phone.

There's a reason the novelty of facial/iris recognition wears off fast. It doesn't really matter how fast it is (it'll only be so fast otherwise security/reliability will suffer), if using it changes the ergonomics of how you use the phone, particularly when you're not using as such, then it's going to feel unnatural, and arbitrary. As said before I think people will be surprised at how organic TouchID currently feels, to the point where you don't even realise what it's doing behind the scenes, like you're just pressing the Home button to start using the phone and boom it's coincidentally authenticated you, and has neither interrupted your flow or demanded that you act in a way that feels conspicuous.

How dishonest do you have to be to suggest Face ID has anything to do with the regular selfie camera?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

wicka posted:

How dishonest do you have to be to suggest Face ID has anything to do with the regular selfie camera?
Lol what? Dishonest? Get a grip.

I said to use that as an example, idiot. Clearly none of our phones have FaceID to test right now, but the front facing camera gives an indication of the kind of experience it's going to give. It's not going to have some kind of 360 degree FOV.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Weedle posted:

I don't think this is the case, because if you don't have anyone at your company willing to call out bad ideas, your products will be bad, and Apple products are usually good.

It was hyperbole, but Apple's anti-leak doc does talk about embedding "agents" within.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

Does it work with sunglasses

yes, most of them, Craig confirmed in that email posted before

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Durzel posted:

the front facing camera gives an indication of the kind of experience it's going to give.

Incorrect

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ok bud, didn't realise you had the inside scoop.

I guess Wired weren't actually "hands on" during their hands on preview..

Wired posted:

Face ID, at least in the brief demos I got, worked one of two ways: amazingly fast or not at all. It won't work if your phone's flat on a table—you'll have to pick up and look at your phone every time you want to unlock it. I suspect a lot of people will just go back to having numerical passcodes.
https://www.wired.com/story/hands-on-with-the-iphone-x

Keep on sipping that Kool Aid though I guess.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 15, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It’s not inside info that the two things have nothing to do with each other. I don’t work for NASA but I am pretty sure Curiosity isn’t using an iPhone selfie camera either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Are you retarded? I never said it used the selfie camera, I said to use it to get a sense of what the magical IR camera-not-camera will see. A sense. Do you understand? Jfc