Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Urf. If I had known I'd get buried in /refunds drama for hours on end I would have skipped my afternoon coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Someone remind me again how David Swafford who runs a PR agency , Is involved with cig after they promised to not use any backer funds for marketing and PR

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

i love this.

if its fake it caused real refunds to happen so gj on that r/ds
if its true then :laugh:

then there is CIG response where they claim to know who it was.
but is it true or false either?

if it was false then someone actually had refunded 45k in same month and CIG panicked into making a response.
if its true then the fake refunder should be screwed (depends on law).
now if they actually raise case against r/ds user then this is just peak :allears:

my take on this is that both of the claims are fake

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Beet Wagon posted:

The fact that he had to show up in the first place to go all Baghdad Bob is a real indicator of the level of trust people have in CIG

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
couldn't reach swofford for deets and now the dude up and deleted his reddit account after I messaged him

so guess that's all, folks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sappo569 posted:

Someone remind me again how David Swafford who runs a PR agency , Is involved with cig after they promised to not use any backer funds for marketing and PR

gotta make in-universe ship commercials (that are used to sell fake ships for real money)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AbstractNapper posted:

I really want to believe that at least the original intentions were good-willed, but Crobblers history and current devolution of his project supports otherwise.

Given how sleazy Chris Roberts is, I have no doubt this was a get rich quick scheme. I think though that the original idea slowly transformed though.

Original idea was to get rich by making and selling a game, basing it off nostalgia and super keen graphics, but it would just be a forgettable space romp.

Slowly that idea transformed into getting rich by making a game. I think it became evident after the Kickstarter that the money kept flowing in. Since Roberts is basically a scum bag and his significant other also has zero scruples, and throw in a scumball lawyer, and it didn't take long to realize that actually producing a game would be more hurtful to the bottom line than not.

That's why we're near 6 years in and there's no in game market to buy stuff you need to buy with cold hard cash, and why every bit of good news is about another stupid piece of junk you can buy.

The gameplay is all fake, and the complex systems will never see the light of anything at all. You just got to believe in it, not play it, see it for what it could be rather than what it is and glaringly obviously will be.

Star Citizen: A Game Of Belief

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
A fake refund for a fake game. Amazing times we live in.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hobold posted:

I put a good deal of time into 1, got kinda bored with it and never finished it. Shame really. Wanted to like it more than I did.

I never went past 1 hour with the 1. Each time I wanted to play it, I ended in the first town, felt overwhelmed and quitted after 1 hour. I'll buy the 2 at a discount because this sort of game is supposed to be what I like.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

crobbo's family and friends are exempt from this, read the loving ironclad tos

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Mirificus is going to have to go into overdrive to archive all the posts claiming that Goons were behind the whole thing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

notoriousman posted:

Not exactly a high bar to clear...

You read the next line right?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Rad Russian posted:

A fake refund for a fake game. Amazing times we live in.
Star Citizen: A fake refund for a fake game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

top three posts on the official subreddit all about refunds :laugh:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I believe that NASA faked the moon landing, but I believe this refund is real

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Mr.Tophat posted:

I believe that NASA faked the moon landing, but I believe this refund is real
It was a false flag refund. Wake up.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

that math seems fucky

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

What a handsome guy

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Someone create a twitch account called Fake_A_Refund tia

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

This is how they reduce the noise from the refunds sub reddit... flood it with fake refunds that they then shoot down publicly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I just love the fact that somehow in a couple hours they did some investigation that required interviewing the CS rep and pouring though emails trying to determine who it really was. I guess they could narrow it down since his real first name is in the jpegs, but still I can imagine the chaos.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

PST posted:

That would mean actually reporting on star citizen rather than just mindlessly regurgitating cig press releases. Take a look at the pc gamer coverage pre-gamescom in comparison to the actual build at gamescom, they're 3+ years apart.

I really wish more people would talk about that. It was a complete lie of a story. :(

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

thatguy posted:

It was a false flag refund. Wake up.

What the hell does false flag mean anyway. Is it like naval ships pretending to be other vessels?

Okay, I'll amend my statement. NASA faked the moon landing, the refunds are real, yet Wallace and Gromit managed to land on the moon A OK and give that fridge a new lease on life.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

that math seems fucky

Blame turbulent !!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Bofast posted:

Around Mars and/or April of 2013, I think. In noticably less time than Star Citizen has been in development, Larian has:
  • kickstarted a rather large RPG
  • developed said RPG (including a new engine, as I recall)
  • released said RPG
  • developed and released an enhanced version of said RPG, including console versions
  • kickstarted a sequel which also has unusual things like a pen-and-paper style DM system for custom campaigns
  • developed said sequel
  • released said sequel

ALSO: They released a series of continuously charming and informative backer update videos using only a handheld camera and some light editing that outclasses SC's dead-eyed studio lit community access show.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

This refund is not fake. I bet refunding my millenium serenity pack if it's fake.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
real... fake... i'm the guy with the refund

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

I like the last one. It seems so proud and boastful…

…forgetting that CIG needs a consistent and absolute minimum of $100k a day and $3M a month to keep its nose above the water, and that a single week in connection to a sale is not going to reverse the constant loss they're seeing at the moment.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Mr.Tophat posted:

What the hell does false flag mean anyway. Is it like naval ships pretending to be other vessels?
Yes. In this situation it would be like a shill creating a fake refund in order to claim that Goons have faked all the refunds.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

that math seems fucky

I think it takes into account thread activity and not just up/downvotes

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/montoya_test/status/908432408097288192

:gary:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Gravity_Storm posted:

This is how they reduce the noise from the refunds sub reddit... flood it with fake refunds that they then shoot down publicly.

http://i.imgur.com/IOrX2dA.gifv

landing succsfl

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm lolling at something and I don't care what it is

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm the russian fud psy-op

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003