Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Since we're talking about them, what's everyone's favorite theme?

I mean, besides Sohei. That one is almost too-good. A level three melee ranger can have three encounter minor action attacks...

Personally, I like the Mercenary and Outlaw themes for their knock-on effects to at-wills or MBA's. Ironwrought is pretty cool too, since it gives you a reroll every encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Ooze lord, you get to talk to oozes

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I enjoy Chaosmade. Little bit of fun, and can work nicely with an MBA-based teammate

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

Since we're talking about them, what's everyone's favorite theme?

I mean, besides Sohei. That one is almost too-good. A level three melee ranger can have three encounter minor action attacks...

Personally, I like the Mercenary and Outlaw themes for their knock-on effects to at-wills or MBA's. Ironwrought is pretty cool too, since it gives you a reroll every encounter.

Samurai because combining it with speedster Battlemind is hilarious by early paragon

Elderboy because the name we have for it around the table is "fuckboy"

Cultist because the level 2 power's flavor is delicious, Oracle of the Evil Eye is also pretty lol

Primordial Adept to complete any Mr. Freeze gimmick, the "make ice cubes" power can generate some pretty hilarious encounter resolutions

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Yakuza is challenging to use but has a lot of upside if you can build around it, and the U2 has a really neat flavor, so it's probably my favorite. Maybe not the most generally useful though.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Infernal prince, because it's good and you can always find really sweet character art for dudes on fire.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Devil's Pawn is real rad at level 10 and fits someone who wants to revel in being a demon

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Nearly every theme in the Zeitgeist campaign is awesome.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

Samurai because combining it with speedster Battlemind is hilarious by early paragon

Also works with a crit-optimized avenger.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Ooh, Yakuza is a really good one. I used that to great effect with a high-Charisma Dragonborn Warlord.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

dwarf74 posted:

Nearly every theme in the Zeitgeist campaign is awesome.

Well, the Zeitgeist campaign is awesome.

Well, at least the first 5 levels of it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yakuza's one of mine (goddamn that U2), but so is Skulker of Vhaerun, if only because I'm so tired of Firewind Blade / Radiant Weapon / Lightning Weapon + Mark of Storm. Skulker gives you a good reason to try poison, which otherwise almost NOBODY uses.

Sensate is fun for bards. ALL THE SKILLS, FOREVER.

I actually hate Sohei, though I hate Ironwrought even more. The first is frankly just too good mechanically and overshadows most other themes. The latter has the same problem, except Sohei at least has actually fluff, whereas the Ironwrought fluff is more poorly wrought, hah hah, ok. But really they suck.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Really wish I knew what happened there. I'm assuming GM burnout, but that was a really fun game. I suppose it lasted longer then most PBPs; I just wish it was still ongoing. Props to Really Pants.

Myriad Truths posted:

Yakuza is challenging to use but has a lot of upside if you can build around it, and the U2 has a really neat flavor, so it's probably my favorite. Maybe not the most generally useful though.

Good news! Yakuza is one of the better themes, and clutch as hell for charisma characters who are gonna be in a position to take advantage of OAs. And that U2 is amazing.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I remember what I wanted to use Yakuza for: a son of mercy champion of order baladin with mighty challenge (add STR mod dmg to divine challenge), flail expertise/lashing flail (prone on MBA), and draconic arrogance (STR mod dmg when you knock prone). Man, that mark punishment would be mean.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 15, 2017

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Dick Burglar posted:

I remember what I wanted to use Yakuza for: a son of mercy baladin with mighty challenge (add STR mod dmg to divine challenge), flail expertise/lashing flail (prone on MBA), and draconic arrogance (STR mod dmg when you knock prone). Man, that mark punishment would be mean.

Champion of Order also works well for this build, since you'd get an OA to stack with your punishment and you wouldn't need Wisdom.

Anyways, themes I like:

-Courtier: Absolutely master diplomacy
-Disgraced Noble: One of the only enabling powers among the themes, and one of the higher theme skill bonuses in the game. The utility powers are in theory designed around being a bad boss, but you can do some interesting things with them if you're a paladin or vampire
-Earthforged: Makes you tankier and gives you an encounter power that provides difficult terrain until EoE.
-Elemental Initiate: Good for a back-up puncher or someone looking to take the heat off. Especially nice on a flail-based defender, since ki focus proficiency opens up Abduction Ki focus for slides on MBAs, so you can get the prone train rolling in early heroic
-Fey Beast Tamer: Free battle buddy, use with caution. Also a good way to get ranged CA.
-Guardian: One of the better off-tank themes, and combos well in a two-defender party
-Halaster's Clone: Immunity to age and disease at level 1, the two things that kill most regular people in the world. Unfortunately, that makes it not a high-priority for adventurers. Also interesting powers and features
-Haunted Blade: Provides some nice boosts if you're a charisma-based melee character, especially if you also like Intimidate
-Inquisitive: If you're an Insight/Perception character, then this lets you do it even better
-Knight Hospitalier: Good leader or paladin theme, since it provides emergency healing as an immediate 2/encounter
-Purple Dragon: At-will MBA-boosting stance at level 1, which is fun on a skald or thief who doesn't already have a core stance but expects to use MBAs
-Samurai: Zwee the poo poo out of things. My favorite rogue theme in the game, pairs well with Reckless Scramble and Halfling Quickblade and stuff like Fast Hands (Thievery U2) and a Hidden Rapier/Battle Harness to make peak iaijutsu. Also goes well with an avenger, especially a wood elf one.
-Scholar: The power is only good if you're Int-based, but free skills and free languages are fun. Works well with talky characters, and it's my favorite changeling theme since it covers their glaring language holes.
-Sidhe Lord: Free buddy and also an absolutely absurd U2 that lets you poach AP from your allies. Amazing on a Warchanter or Flame of Hope PP character.
-Son of Alagondar: Nice power that stacks daze onto any other melee hit, and some good features that boost your teamwork and tankiness.
-Spy: Has some decent stealth stuff and probably the funniest level 10 feature in the game since it lets you roll bluff instead of knowledge when interacting with people
-Vigilante: Encounter stance that lets you mark dudes, making it good for some fighter hybrids like fighter|rogue who spams Riposte Strike to mess dudes up.
-Watershaper: The power isn't that great, but it's one of the few sources of being aquatic in the game outside of spending like three feats or being a genasi. The U6 is also a source of long-term shapeshifting.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I just came back to edit my post. I meant Champion of Order, not Son of Mercy. Not sure why I always confuse the two.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
In terms of mechanics/power, my favorite is Purple Dragon I guess. Having the extra shift after every melee basic hit was really helpful for a lot of builds.

In terms of themes I've taken or considered for mechanical reasons: Sidhe Lord for the U2 that steals an action point. Brazen Ambassador as a defender. Deep Delver gives you blindsight. Firecrafter is a minor action shift. Order Adept for +Arcana builds. Outlaw for the encounter daze which is really good at low level. Reaver for crit fishers, although they're better off with a minor attack theme. Spellscarred Harbinger for nice encounter abilities. The Transcendent Order because going first wins.

In terms of interesting themes, Scholar for all the languages, Ooze Master because you're a master of oozes, The Sentinel Marshall because you're a cop, Wild Hunt Rider because you get a horse, Windlord if you're a blowhard.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I always wanted to see a gimmick campaign where everyone was required to have Halaster's Clone as their theme. Bonus points if they also all have Halaster as their character names too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ghost of the Past, Sidhe Lord, Sohei, Ironwrought.

Sensate is also beasty if you're a rebreather but don't be a rebreather. Good for Elementallocks as well.

Iliyanbruen Guardian is central to my favourite character ever, the blink knight.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The Ex-Slave one is borderline broken and should really only work on humanoids :v:

Bluff vs every creature in line of sights passive insight, if you beat it you're invisible until the end of your next turn.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Aw, man - did it die? I was following it a while back. :(

My in-person game is mostly through Adventure 12 right now. The end is in sight, probably by new year's.

SPEAKING OF - I am considering getting something commemorative for my players, to kind of denote that we managed an entire 1-30 adventure path (and had a great time doing it). I looked into patches and whatnot, but everything is pretty drat pricey. Has anyone done this for their group?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My players once commissioned a painting and gave it to me for a game I ran, but never actually told me how much it went for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Possibly commissioning art of all their characters? Might not have quite the tactile wow you're looking for, though.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

dwarf74 posted:

Aw, man - did it die? I was following it a while back.

Yeah, it died. To be 100% fair to Really Pants, Pants was putting in incredible amounts of effort. A 1-30 game is a huge task, and doing it PbP style is something I think is straight up impossible. PbP has a lot of problems, especially from burnout (3 weeks in the same fight), difficulty in getting players to interact with each other (instead of just bouncing everything off of NPCs, which is more DM strain), and players not posting for extreme periods of time while demanding the DM post extremely regularly. Pants kept that game going for two and a half years.

And, on top of that, it was two years, and we were level 5. At that rate, we'd be doing a play by post for literally 10 more years.

That campaign was some of the most fun I'd ever had, though. I'd jump at the chance to do a live Zeitgeist (and I almost got in one, except for time zone shenanigans meant I couldn't stay in), but I think I'd always be comparing it to what Pants did.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Nalesh posted:

The Ex-Slave one is borderline broken and should really only work on humanoids :v:

Bluff vs every creature in line of sights passive insight, if you beat it you're invisible until the end of your next turn.

Also hilarious if you stick it on an enchanter since a successful check makes it so they don't suspect you of making the attack and Enchanters get a bonus to Bluff.

"Hey, why did that guy just attack us?"

"Because he's a punk looking to start something- GET HIM!"

PMush Perfect posted:

Possibly commissioning art of all their characters? Might not have quite the tactile wow you're looking for, though.

I had a DM do that for a group, and they loved it. Don't know how much he paid for it though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dwarf74 posted:

Aw, man - did it die? I was following it a while back. :(

My in-person game is mostly through Adventure 12 right now. The end is in sight, probably by new year's.

SPEAKING OF - I am considering getting something commemorative for my players, to kind of denote that we managed an entire 1-30 adventure path (and had a great time doing it). I looked into patches and whatnot, but everything is pretty drat pricey. Has anyone done this for their group?

Commission a group piece, I know there are some good artists in SA-Mart

Something like this. If you did waste up, you could get a group art for $125 (at 25 per person)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Are there any issues I should be aware of running the offline CB and Masterplan in Windows 10?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Dunno about Masterplan but the offline CB works fine for me on Windows 10. No problems that I've noticed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

senrath posted:

Dunno about Masterplan but the offline CB works fine for me on Windows 10. No problems that I've noticed.

Yup for me too, though I don't know whether having installed it on 8 and upgrading matters.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

dont even fink about it posted:

Primordial Adept to complete any Mr. Freeze gimmick, the "make ice cubes" power can generate some pretty hilarious encounter resolutions

wizard has a similar power and combining them lets you reshape the battlefield awesomely

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Are there any issues I should be aware of running the offline CB and Masterplan in Windows 10?
You should install the CB outside the Program Files directory iirc. Just make sure to point all the patches to the right spot, as I don't think they figure out where you installed to automatically.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

LightWarden posted:

Also hilarious if you stick it on an enchanter since a successful check makes it so they don't suspect you of making the attack and Enchanters get a bonus to Bluff.

"Hey, why did that guy just attack us?"

"Because he's a punk looking to start something- GET HIM!"

Oh it does that already :v:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Need names for new 4E powers? A neural network has you covered.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Forceful Force is some top-tier stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Storm of the Dave.

I still like Plonting Cloud from the first set.

E: Remorse?

and

Mordenkainen’s lucubrabibiboricic angion

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Forceful Force is some top-tier stuff.
Along with Spirit of the Spirit, it's from the powers list of my new class: the Tautologist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Summon Storm Bear :black101:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
A radiant-cheese Invoker named Mister of Light.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Death's Death's Proud Bear.

It really likes bears.

I see nothign whatsoever wrong with that.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Chilled Arrow

just light cold I suppose

Healing of Bat - a new type of unicorn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I like Storm of the Dave, though I might amend it to Storm of the Dennis.

Slightly :nws: because of brief dude butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr7Y0kZ67o0&t=26s