Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GonSmithe posted:

"Ah yes, watching this two minute clip completely devoid of context has absolutely ruined this movie for me, I'm no longer watching it at all."

- A normal response

But when combined with other clips gives one an idea of what the movie will be like. Trailers are supposed to make you want to see the movie or has that changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

"Ah yes, watching this two minute clip completely devoid of context has absolutely ruined this movie for me, I'm no longer watching it at all."

- A normal response
Just you wait, I shall obliterate your sarcasm with an at best lukewarm Rotten Tomatoes score to prove my point!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
A two minute clip is not a trailer.

I can understand not liking that little short video (which wasn't directed by the same director), but I can take a two minute clip from just about any movie completely devoid of context and make it look bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also that clip was good and I liked it.

But yeah the Luke Scott promo was terrible. But so is everything else he's done. Just look at the quality of the terrific Happy Birthday David promo for Prometheus directed by some guy at an agency vs. the atrocious TED Talk that Luke Scott directed.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 11, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At this point I feel like trailers and one-off promo clips like these are going to tell us absolutely nothing. I hope this new Blade Runner will be good, it has the right people behind the project, but it's kind of a total fluke that a movie like the original Blade Runner ever got made in the first place, and subsequently became as popular as it did.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

At this point I feel like trailers and one-off promo clips like these are going to tell us absolutely nothing. I hope this new Blade Runner will be good, it has the right people behind the project, but it's kind of a total fluke that a movie like the original Blade Runner ever got made in the first place, and subsequently became as popular as it did.
It looked cool, but didn't the actual scene give away a kind of big plot point?

Dude says to gosling "bigger men than you tried to shut me down, and they were men" meaning Gosling is a replicant. Or at least that dude believes Gosling is a replicant. He didn't seem to know Gosling, so maybe all cops are believed to be replicants? IDK, but does seem like a somewhat big deal.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Heh, I interpreted it as questioning/mocking Gosling's masculinity. Guess my brain still has his characters from Refn's films associated with him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

it's kind of a total fluke that a movie like the original Blade Runner ever got made in the first place

Still mind blowing that one of the best Shaw Bros. films is Blade Runner.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Also that clip was good and I liked it.

But yeah the Luke Scott promo was terrible. But so is everything else he's done. Just look at the quality of the terrific Happy Birthday David promo for Prometheus directed by some guy at an agency vs. the atrocious TED Talk that Luke Scott directed.

The Weyland TED talk was by far the most intriguing viral clip for Prometheus, actually.

exquisite tea posted:

It looks like 2049 is going to be more about social commentary on climate change, poverty, etc. than the themes and agency of artificial intelligence of the original. It definitely looks more action oriented, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RedSpider posted:

The Weyland TED talk was by far the most intriguing viral clip for Prometheus, actually.

Hey, to each their own. I think that there's a wealth of fantastic character moments in the David 8 promo which give the most succinct, concentrated look into who David is and how he thinks - like the delicate, humbled reverence with which he says he thinks about "angels", sandwiched between the sins of man. I think the video is doubly important in the wake of his character revelations in Covenant. And I found the TED Talk to be over the top, poorly written, and poorly directed. I guess that it showed some insight into Weyland, but I find him a thoroughly uninteresting character who exists as an intentional cardboard cutout to contrast David.

RedSpider posted:

It looks like 2049 is going to be more about social commentary on climate change, poverty, etc. than the themes and agency of artificial intelligence of the original. It definitely looks more action oriented, too.

I wonder. It very well could be much more action-oriented to fit modern audience's tastes, but that idea goes against much of what Villeneuve has said in interviews. As an exercise a few years ago I tried to make my own deceptively edited trailer for the original Blade Runner just to see how it could be mismarketed in today's atmosphere. I don't think that it's far off the amount and type of action we see in the 2049 trailer.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Hey, to each their own. I think that there's a wealth of fantastic character moments in the David 8 promo which give the most succinct, concentrated look into who David is and how he thinks - like the delicate, humbled reverence with which he says he thinks about "angels", sandwiched between the sins of man. I think the video is doubly important in the wake of his character revelations in Covenant. And I found the TED Talk to be over the top, poorly written, and poorly directed. I guess that it showed some insight into Weyland, but I find him a thoroughly uninteresting character who exists as an intentional cardboard cutout to contrast David.

I thought the clip greatly enhanced the prologue in Covenant. Also, the original cut of the Weyland TED talk was much longer than what was released. I watched the full version of it on some Alien fansite awhile back. Weyland starts railing against bureaucracy and the government for prohibiting the development of AI for awhile in addition to all the philosophical stuff. I'm glad it was cut.

feedmyleg posted:

I wonder. It very well could be much more action-oriented to fit modern audience's tastes, but that idea goes against much of what Villeneuve has said in interviews. As an exercise a few years ago I tried to make my own deceptively edited trailer for the original Blade Runner just to see how it could be mismarketed in today's atmosphere. I don't think that it's far off the amount and type of action we see in the 2049 trailer.

Well, I hope he's right. I hope 2049 is more like the original and Alien Covenant on the sentient replicant/android stuff than a generic action film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

That's a shame. Incendies, Enemy and Sicario are all-timers, Prisoners and Arrival are great as well.

I've heard got things about Polytechnique as well but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.

Polytechnique is outstanding. Sicario and Enemy are great. Incendies is pretty good. Prisoners and Arrival are meh.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Why don't you tell me about your mother?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Somewhat random Blade Runner observation: Whenever I see Daryl Hannah with that shock of blonde hair I think she looks a lot like Kesha.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is Final Cut a good version of Blade Runner to watch? Kind of a 'beggars can't be choosers' situation here since the best option for watching it without buying it is streaming from the Playstation store and that's the only version they have.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

Is Final Cut a good version of Blade Runner to watch? Kind of a 'beggars can't be choosers' situation here since the best option for watching it without buying it is streaming from the Playstation store and that's the only version they have.

It's pretty much the definitive version. It's the DC plus some touchups on effects, basically.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

It's more or less universally agreed upon to be the definitive version, although the peculiarities among the five main cuts of the film are almost another field of study unto itself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nice. I'll be watching it this weekend, then. Thanks for all the input.

I really miss my local video store. So many older movies I'd love to watch but (Canadian) Netflix is woefully limited in that regard. I did try watching it years ago in school but I was so exhausted that night I ended up falling asleep.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's more or less universally agreed upon to be the definitive version, although the peculiarities among the five main cuts of the film are almost another field of study unto itself.

I love the fan project Blade Runner: The Version You've Never Seen Before (not :filez:)

quote:

What it is is not a special cut to make the film better, not simply an extended version that incorperates deleted scenes, but the most thoroughly different version of the film possible that makes use of all the diferent versions and unseen footage to create a cut of the film as drastically different as can be had.

It's just a neat concept, and it's pretty cool to watch. It's like seeing a copy of Blade Runner that fell through a wormhole from another dimension.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Second short is out:

https://twitter.com/iTunesTrailers/...ave-bautista%2F

There's not much to it, but it's fun.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 14, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It's just a neat concept, and it's pretty cool to watch. It's like seeing a copy of Blade Runner that fell through a wormhole from another dimension.

Speaking of which, if you have access to the Final Cut's special features, it has all of the deleted scenes in chronological order so you can see this very bizarre 45 minute alpha version of Blade Runner. After seeing that I totally get the appeal of someone taking all the footage and trying to put together a cut that's just different.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Second short is out:

The colors are my favorite part of it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

DC Murderverse posted:

Somewhat random Blade Runner observation: Whenever I see Daryl Hannah with that shock of blonde hair I think she looks a lot like Kesha.

I'm pretty sure she's closer to Hazel O'Connor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Movie Art of Syd Mead available for preorder. I hope there's a wealth of this kind of stuff coming down the pipeline trying to take advantage of the 2049 release.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

well gently caress this man.

Johann Johannson is no longer doing the score for 2049. They brought in Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch to do the music but Johannsson's score for Arrival was really great and I was looking forward to hearing what he could do with the original score as an influence.

I'd never heard of Wallfisch before but apparently he did IT and Annabelle: Creation and The Cure for Wellness, all of which were fairly high quality horror movies from this year. Anyone in here think the score was anything particularly special? Zimmer is a known quality obviously.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IT's soundtrack is REALLY good, but drat isn't the movie out in a few weeks? Hopefully it's not badly edited rushed poo poo like when they brought on James Horner last second for Troy.

Also awesome because now the new Blade Runner isn't even out yet and we already have potential multiple cuts once whatever work he had completed leaks/he puts it on his site.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

IT's soundtrack is REALLY good, but drat isn't the movie out in a few weeks? Hopefully it's not badly edited rushed poo poo like when they brought on James Horner last second for Troy.

Also awesome because now the new Blade Runner isn't even out yet and we already have potential multiple cuts once whatever work he had completed leaks/he puts it on his site.

they apparently brought them in a few months ago (the article says July) but even then that's mayyyyybe 4 months. And it's not just Zimmer/Wallfisch finishing what Johannsson started, it says none of his work is gonna be in the movie. I'm thinking he was a bit behind, they brought ZimmFisch in to help him out, they tried to push him in a different direction and he told them to gently caress off and do it themselves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Because it wouldn't be a Warner Bros. genre production without an anime tie-in, Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame is making a Blade Runner anime short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsxBzfmwVY

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

DC Murderverse posted:

they apparently brought them in a few months ago (the article says July) but even then that's mayyyyybe 4 months. And it's not just Zimmer/Wallfisch finishing what Johannsson started, it says none of his work is gonna be in the movie. I'm thinking he was a bit behind, they brought ZimmFisch in to help him out, they tried to push him in a different direction and he told them to gently caress off and do it themselves.

I would be perfectly happy if they just reused the score from the first movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Because it wouldn't be a Warner Bros. genre production without an anime tie-in, Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame is making a Blade Runner anime short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsxBzfmwVY

...I have no problem with this.

Also, is that meant to be the 3rd short? It's titled the same as the other, but I'm not sure that Shinichiro is an artist that Denis repsects on the same level as Luke Scott...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Second short is out:

It is really hard not to love Dave Bautista. Apparently he cried when he learned he'd been chosen to play Drax, and then immediately signed up for a bunch of acting classes because he didn't want to disappoint people.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

One of the trailers made it look like he might die and if he does I'll be heartbroken. I already empathized with him a ton from the trailer and this short just enhances that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So were the rumors that Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford got in screaming matches on set true for this film

if so very worried

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phi230 posted:

So were the rumors that Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford got in screaming matches on set true for this film

if so very worried

That's badass.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apparently Ridley has been alienating everyone involved with Blade Runner for the past 30 years because of the changes he keeps trying to make to it

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Phi230 posted:

if so very worried
If that were true maybe it's a good thing? I've been worried that Harrison Ford wouldn't be passionate enough about the character to play Deckard again, and would instead just be playing himself ala the recent Star Wars.

Screaming at Ridley Scott involves a level of giving-a-poo poo that I wasn't sure Ford had left in him.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ersatz posted:

If that were true maybe it's a good thing? I've been worried that Harrison Ford wouldn't be passionate enough about the character to play Deckard again, and would instead just be playing himself ala the recent Star Wars.

If it's true then it means Ford is passionate about the character and Ridley is trying to meddle

I guess I trust Villenue to pull it off

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Phi230 posted:

If it's true then it means Ford is passionate about the character and Ridley is trying to meddle

I guess I trust Villenue to pull it off
Yeah, Villenue consistently impresses me with his films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ridley Scott consistently impresses me with his yelling at people.

• Locked thread