Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The hell is a corflute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

DancingShade posted:

I'm sorry crazy anti vaccine lady. Your kid has autism because of your poo poo genes, not because of a jab.

Maybe stop having a poison womb or something. I don't know.

gently caress off

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

The hell is a corflute.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/project-panel-900-x-600-x-5mm-white-corflute_p0390162

Solemn Sloth posted:

gently caress off

I, too, dislike herd immunity.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

That's not why he told you to gently caress off idiot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

That's not why he told you to gently caress off idiot.

*anti-vaxer lady continues counting down the years before she can dump her unwanted defective kid on a full time government carer*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Don Dongington posted:

Watch, as bumbling idiot Brandis tries to influence the court case against the CBS bid, the Liberals get out and lobby/campaign on behalf of Murdoch...

And CBS buries them all in a legal quagmire the likes they've never seen.

I'm excited.

Is it CBS or the administrators being taken to court by the Murdochs? I thought it was just KordaMentha being sued for accepting CBS's offer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

Is it CBS or the administrators being taken to court by the Murdochs? I thought it was just KordaMentha being sued for accepting CBS's offer.

No idea but I hope the legal fees quickly devour that paltry payout CBS offered them and they lose even more money.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Loosening these laws won't just benefit News Corp though. Surely there's many other media empires who are excited about this?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Loosening these laws won't just benefit News Corp though. Surely there's many other media empires who are excited about this?

Fairfax supported the changes. I suppose they might be interested in buying/merging with a TV station.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

DancingShade posted:

*anti-vaxer lady continues counting down the years before she can dump her unwanted defective kid on a full time government carer*

gently caress off

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I don't really have a negative opinion about the media ownership laws, I never watch commercial tv anyway. I don't really see how the Murdoch's are going to be much worse than what we currently have. I just want them to support the public broadcasters instead of trying to tank them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

gently caress off

Nice meltdown.

Anidav posted:

Probably but as long term metrics continue to look bad for old media I don't know if anyone who isn't pushing an agenda will be especially keen. You never know though.

I'm assuming CBS is on the agenda pushing wagon.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Nah man that poo poo weren't cool even if you think it is true.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

DancingShade posted:

Nice meltdown.

Hmm yes, saying 'gently caress off' twice in response to someone being a fuckwit is definitely a meltdown and not a proportionate response to someone being a fuckwit.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Want to market Nazi memorabilia, or recruit marchers for a far-right rally? Facebook’s self-service ad-buying platform had the right audience for you. 

Until this week, when we asked Facebook about it, the world’s largest social network enabled advertisers to direct their pitches to the news feeds of almost 2,300 people who expressed interest in the topics of “Jew hater,” “How to burn jews,” or, “History of ‘why jews ruin the world.’”

To test if these ad categories were real, we paid $30 to target those groups with three “promoted posts” — in which a ProPublica article or post was displayed in their news feeds. Facebook approved all three ads within 15 minutes.

After we contacted Facebook, it removed the anti-Semitic categories — which were created by an algorithm rather than by people — and said it would explore ways to fix the problem, such as limiting the number of categories available or scrutinizing them before they are displayed to buyers.

“There are times where content is surfaced on our platform that violates our standards,” said Rob Leathern, product management director at Facebook. “In this case, we’ve removed the associated targeting fields in question. We know we have more work to do, so we’re also building new guardrails in our product and review processes to prevent other issues like this from happening in the future.”

Facebook’s advertising has become a focus of national attention since it disclosed last week that it had discovered $100,000 worth of ads placed during the 2016 presidential election season by “inauthentic” accounts that appeared to be affiliated with Russia.

Like many tech companies, Facebook has long taken a hands off approach to its advertising business. Unlike traditional media companies that select the audiences they offer advertisers, Facebook generates its ad categories automatically based both on what users explicitly share with Facebook and what they implicitly convey through their online activity.

Traditionally, tech companies have contended that it’s not their role to censor the Internet or to discourage legitimate political expression. In the wake of the violent protests in Charlottesville by right-wing groups that included self-described Nazis, Facebook and other tech companies vowed to strengthen their monitoring of hate speech.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg wrote at the time that “there is no place for hate in our community,” and pledged to keep a closer eye on hateful posts and threats of violence on Facebook. “It’s a disgrace that we still need to say that neo-Nazis and white supremacists are wrong — as if this is somehow not obvious,” he wrote. 

But Facebook apparently did not intensify its scrutiny of its ad buying platform. In all likelihood, the ad categories that we spotted were automatically generated because people had listed those anti-Semitic themes on their Facebook profiles as an interest, an employer or a “field of study.” Facebook’s algorithm automatically transforms people’s declared interests into advertising categories.

This is not the first controversy over Facebook’s ad categories. Last year, ProPublica was able to block an ad that we bought in Facebook’s housing categories from being shown to African-Americans, Hispanics and Asian-Americans, raising the question of whether such ad targeting violated laws against discrimination in housing advertising. After ProPublica’s article appeared, Facebook built a system that it said would prevent such ads from being approved.

Last year, ProPublica also collected a list of the advertising categories Facebook was providing to advertisers. We downloaded more than 29,000 ad categories from Facebook’s ad system — and found categories ranging from an interest in “Hungarian sausages” to “People in households that have an estimated household income of between $100K and $125K.”

At that time, we did not find any anti-Semitic categories, but we do not know if we captured all of Facebook’s possible ad categories, or if these categories were added later. A Facebook spokesman didn’t respond to a question about when the categories were introduced.

Last week, acting on a tip, we logged into Facebook’s automated ad system to see if “Jew hater” was really an ad category. We found it, but discovered that the category — with only 2,274 people in it — was too smallfor Facebook to allow us to buy an ad pegged only to Jew haters.

Facebook’s automated system suggested “Second Amendment” as an additional category that would boost our audience size to 119,000 people, presumably because its system had correlated gun enthusiasts with anti-Semites.

Instead, we chose additional categories that popped up when we typed in “jew h”: “How to burn Jews,” and “History of ‘why jews ruin the world.’” Then we added a category that Facebook suggested when we typed in “Hitler”: a category called “Hitler did nothing wrong.” All were described as “fields of study.”

These ad categories were tiny. Only two people were listed as the audience size for “how to burn jews,” and just one for “History of ‘why jews ruin the world.’”Another 15 people comprised the viewership for “Hitler did nothing wrong.”

Facebook’s automated system told us that we still didn’t have a large enough audience to make a purchase. So we added “German Schutzstaffel,” commonly known as the Nazi SS, and the “Nazi Party,” which were both described to advertisers as groups of “employers.” Their audiences were larger: 3,194 for the SS and 2,449 for Nazi Party.

Still, Facebook said we needed more — so we added people with an interest in the National Democratic Party of Germany, a far-right, ultranationalist political party, with its much larger viewership of 194,600.

Once we had our audience, we submitted our ad — which promoted an unrelated ProPublica news article. Within 15 minutes, Facebook approved our ad, with one change. In its approval screen, Facebook described the ad targeting category “Jew hater” as “Antysemityzm,” the Polish word for anti-Semitism. Just to make sure it was referring to the same category, we bought two additional ads using the term “Jew hater” in combination with other terms. Both times, Facebook changed the ad targeting category “Jew hater” to “Antisemityzm” in its approval.

A few days later, Facebook sent us the results of our campaigns. Our three ads reached 5,897 people, generating 101 clicks, and 13 “engagements” — which could be a “like” a “share” or a comment on a post.

Since we contacted Facebook, most of the anti-Semitic categories have disappeared.

A Facebook official, who asked not to be named, said that they didn’t appear to have been widely used. “We have looked at the use of these audiences and campaigns and it’s not common or widespread,” he said.

We looked for analogous advertising categories for other religions, such as “Muslim haters.” Facebook didn’t have them.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

if it's good for them it's good for you

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Technically correct

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Before Times posted:

Hmm yes, saying 'gently caress off' twice in response to someone being a fuckwit is definitely a meltdown and not a proportionate response to someone being a fuckwit.

Taking somethingisawful dot com, home of the monster truck newsletter and kitchen of the fecal lasagna, as a place to take offensive things personally always works out well.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DancingShade posted:

I have two kids with autism and you can shove your attitude up your arse, cheers

The woman's a loving idiot but your attitude towards kids with autism is loving disgraceful

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tithin posted:

I have two kids with autism and you can shove your attitude up your arse, cheers

The woman's a loving idiot but your attitude towards kids with autism is loving disgraceful

How do you feel about vaccinations?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DancingShade posted:

How do you feel about vaccinations?

They're necessary and both my kids are vaccinated.

This was implied with my statement "the woman's a loving idiot"

Even if vaccines did cause autism they'd still be vaccinated because I'd prefer alive kids with disease resistance to dead kids

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DancingShade posted:

Yeah, hi, I'm autistic. Please stop calling me a mistake or a defect, I get enough of that in the media for being trans right now.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

DancingShade posted:

Taking somethingisawful dot com, home of the monster truck newsletter and kitchen of the fecal lasagna, as a place to take offensive things personally always works out well.
Doubling down when being called out always works out, good call dude.

gently caress off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

North Korea launched another missile

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
North Korean replica of Steve Bannon?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Guardian said it fell into the sea again, so that's a relief. Can't imagine how stressful it is though geez

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

loving glorious.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Leading "no" campaigner in Australia's same-sex marriage survey, Lyle Shelton, says parents should have the option to send their kids to gay conversion therapy.

In an interview with the BuzzFeed News political podcast Is it on? on Thursday, Shelton, who is the managing director of the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), said that while he did not think adults should be forced into conversion therapy, it was up to parents as to whether their children should be counselled about same-sex attraction.

"I think anyone who wants to seek help for any issue they might be facing in their life should be free to do that," he said.

"Should people be forced to go to conversion therapy? No, absolutely not. Now, children — they are under the care and responsibility of their parents, so I think if someone's a minor, it is up to their parents. And I think parental rights should be respected.

"There's obviously got to be context and care and compassion in all of these situations, but ultimately children are in the care and the legal responsibility of their parents."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This bloke is looking pretty ragged.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Can stuff like the media reforms be taken to court if some of the people voting were ineligible for election?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-15/knox-mothers-defamation-case/8945082
Online slapfight goes to court

quote:

Screenshots of the chats tendered to the court show Ms Wu wrote posts including: "In front of me you call me baby and darling, and behind my back you stab me madly with a knife.
"You really think that you are a high class lady by sending your children to a private school, and by buying a few fake handbags?
"And don't forget, the reason why your son got into Knox is because I noticed the vacancy for you and told you and acted as your referee, I even went to the office with you.
"Don't get so innocent when you are really a bitch! Let me see who is phony and pretentious! Fake Face, Michelle Chen! Look here!"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Get hosed Shelton

Speaking of people getting hosed...
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/908169406827577344

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Get hosed Shelton

It's a shame Hasluck didn't go red when they had their MUA candidate up.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

Leading "no" campaigner in Australia's same-sex marriage survey, Lyle Shelton, says parents should have the option to send their kids to gay conversion therapy.

In an interview with the BuzzFeed News political podcast Is it on? on Thursday, Shelton, who is the managing director of the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), said that while he did not think adults should be forced into conversion therapy, it was up to parents as to whether their children should be counselled about same-sex attraction.

"I think anyone who wants to seek help for any issue they might be facing in their life should be free to do that," he said.

"Should people be forced to go to conversion therapy? No, absolutely not. Now, children — they are under the care and responsibility of their parents, so I think if someone's a minor, it is up to their parents. And I think parental rights should be respected.

"There's obviously got to be context and care and compassion in all of these situations, but ultimately children are in the care and the legal responsibility of their parents."

This poo poo and avoiding vaccination should be legally called child abuse

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Get hosed Shelton

Holy poo poo, getting rid of Bishop would be loving amazing.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bandaid.friend posted:

Can stuff like the media reforms be taken to court if some of the people voting were ineligible for election?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-15/knox-mothers-defamation-case/8945082
Online slapfight goes to court

I don't think so, IIRC the previous citizenship HC cases sorted that out

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is it a very Christian thing to see children as your property or what?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...913-gygcyp.html

A Victorian church refused to marry a young couple and cancelled their wedding plans because the bride-to-be expressed support for same-sex marriage on Facebook.

The 26-year-old bride and 25-year-old groom were to be married in November at their Presbyterian church, Ebenezer St John's in Ballarat, by minister Steven North.

In early August, when the Turnbull government announced the postal survey on same-sex marriage, the bride posted a Facebook status declaring her support for change.

"I know it's something not everyone will agree on and that's fine but this is what I stand for and frankly it doesn't effect [sic] my relationship with [my partner] one bit," she commented.

Days later, the couple were summoned to Mr North's office and were told he would no longer marry them, nor would they be allowed to hold their ceremony at the church.

In a letter to the bride, provided to Fairfax Media, Mr North said the views expressed in the Facebook post had "practical consequences" for the wedding.

"After the pre-marital counselling that you attended and the sermons delivered at Ebenezer on this subject, you must surely appreciate that your commitment to same-sex marriage opposes the teaching of Christ Jesus and the scriptural position practiced by the Presbyterian Church of Australia and by me," he wrote.

In an emotive written response to Mr North, the couple said they would no longer attend Ebenezer St John's church as a result of the minister's decision.

"We feel this decision is absolutely disgraceful and is a disgrace to you and all the church, especially when we have been loyal and valued members of this congregation for 10 years," they wrote.

"You were made aware from the beginning of our proceedings that we had gay friends and also that people in our wedding party were gay. How could you assume that we would abandon them or degrade them with regards to same-sex marriage?

"We understand we did agree with the teachings of the church in our marriage counselling but just because we agree with that for our own lives, doesn't mean that we have to push those beliefs onto others."

The church's decision had caused "a great deal of stress and upset" to both families, the couple wrote.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Good to see Turnbull defending it.

quote:

Pressed on whether the couple had paid a penalty simply for doing what he as Prime Minister had encouraged them to do, he said: "Churches are entitled to marry or not marry whom they please. That is part of religious freedom.

"There are many churches, including my own church the Catholic church, who will not marry someone who has been married before."

The divorce thing might be fair enough, but I'm pretty sure expressing support for civil SSM isn't covered by any kind of Catholic doctrine (or Presbyterian for that matter).

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is Turnbull Catholic? What the hell...

• Locked thread