Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

quadpus posted:

You mentioned rewatching the first two seasons, but did you see Fire Walk With Me, and The Missing Pieces? Those are probably much more important in bridging the gap.

I re-watched Fire Walk With Me but I've never seen The Missing Pieces. I'll get on that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

OscarDiggs posted:

I've run into this sort of thinking before, and it's always sort of grated me.

If someone (anyone, any director or writer or whatever) has put all this effort into creating something, isn't it... ungrateful? To just sit back and not try to appreciate the deeper meaning behind it all? Like the best Chef in the world has spent the better part of a month crafting the perfect meal just for me, and the only response I can muster is "Thanks! Tasted great!" Maybe ungrateful isn't right. Lazy might be better?
Funny, because that's exactly how I feel when someone mentions fast-forwarding through an episode. :v:

Seriously though, I agree with the advice above to treat it as an impressionist art and concentrate on what's on screen at that moment without any expectations. If you find yourself reaching for a fast-forward button with Lynch, might as well turn it off and restart some other time when in a different mood, as the episode's lost you already.

One of the things I liked the most about this season were the unexpected shifts between mood, tone and pacing - even in case of episode 8, I don't think the whole 'gotta light' sequence would've had the same impact without the half-hour preceding it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Changing from The Return to Season 3 in official language at this point also makes me think we might get more eventually, whether in another season or a direct to Showtime feature length movie or whatever.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What makes me believe in more is the way all people involved in season 3 has systematically not confirmed or denied it

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

didn't lynch say something about retiring

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

didn't lynch say something about retiring
No, just that he isn't altogether interested in films any more, mostly because of the lack of venues that would support work like his.

And I think both Showtime and Lynch have been very transparent about a season 4, I don't think it requires any reading between the lines or assumptions based on Blu-Ray set titles or anything. Lynch said he might make another season if people loved it. Showtime said the door is always open to Lynch for talks, but no talks have taken place. I don't think there's much more to it than that.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 14, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Honestly, I hope there isn't a Season 4. This was the perfect ending for the whole universe.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i still want closure on the andy rolex side plot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
70s-set Cole/Jeffries spinoff please

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

OscarDiggs posted:

My main problem is, there are bits that I find interesting and thought provoking and so on and so on. But then... those bit's go on and on and on. To the point where what was interesting becomes boring. Like the nuclear scene, for the first 5 minutes, I was on the edge of my seat. The music, the visuals, it was fantastic! For about 5 minutes... and then after it kept on happening I settled back, bored and getting distracted by petty stuff. Then I started fast forwarding. Like... like I think it needs a good editor to maybe, cut it down to a third of the size? There's good bits, then there's fantastic bits... and after those bit's I can get up, make a drink and come back again safe in the knowledge that it's going to have kept on happening in all that time, so I won't have missed anything.

I think this is why Lynch's work is confusing. His films all hinge around a central plot that's usually pretty standard by storytelling conventions, so you expect it to arc in a certain way. Except, unlike the vast majority of what we expect from the medium, the plot is window dressing for the style, not the other way around. He's not so much using his art to tell a story, he's telling a story as a way to make art. It's absolutely not how you're supposed to do it and most people who try and do that fail horribly (with notable exceptions like Jodorowsky, Bunuel, Maya Deren, Roy Andersson, Bergman, etc)

So you often have to suspend your expectations of what kind of plot payoff he's setting up, or how characters relate to each other or even what their actual identities are, because to Lynch that's all fair game to gently caress around with. He's fond of just replacing characters with other characters halfway through for no obvious reason, as an example. It's all just one big expressionist playground to him, and it never goes where you think it will, and it almost never wraps up in a way that's "satisfying" like the typical Hero's Journey kind of movie. It's all a meditation, the kind of weird thoughts and memories and images that waft up when your mind is at rest. A big part of why I think his work is so fascinating is that I feel like I recognize and resonate with his imagery, especially when it makes no logical sense, like I've dreamt it before. At his best, I feel like he's tapping into a sort of Jungian collective subconscious and painting it on the screen.

And sometimes, it's just a scene of a guy sweeping a floor for five straight minutes. The point is, be patient and give it your time and attention, and don't think too much about it while you're watching it. Just feel it and react to it like you would a painting in a gallery, because that's pretty much exactly what it is.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The above post is really great and fantastic and I wouldn't be able to say the same thing quite so well, so I'll just say that I agree strongly with it.

The other thing I like about Lynch is that because of the above attributes Dr. Fishopolis was talking about, I never feel as if Lynch is "talking down" to me, as a viewer. So often when I watch television or a film, even some that are pretty good, it's so evident that things are, well, purposely dumbed down so that it can still be watched and appreciated by the widest possible audience. When you constantly have to account for the lowest common denominator amongst your viewers, the quality of work inevitably suffers.

Pacing is a HUGE part of this, and probably why I tended to overreact when people would get annoyed about scenes that moved slowly or threw the rules of how you pace an episode of television out the window entirely. I like that sort of thing specifically because it's meant to challenge our perceptions and look at what we're watching in a different manner, quite often. Or I like it just because I feel like most TV shows are boring as hell because all they do is cram as much exposition, action, one-liners and quick-cuts as they can into 22 minutes or 42 minutes and they rarely leave time for things to evolve at their own pace, in their own way. Not all TV shows are egregiously guilty of this, but a great many still are.

And the thing is, it's so easy to gently caress up when you slow down the pacing the way Lynch did. You need to be REALLY confident about yourself to even attempt something like what Episode 8 was in this season, or episode 18 too, for that matter. You need to legitimately know what you're doing and where you're going and exactly what it's all about, or it's all going to fall flat and what you're trying to make seem mysterious instead looks foolish and silly, and your attempts to slow down the pacing instead really ARE just boring shots of nothing. I know there are people who view Lynch this way anyway, and that's also fine.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I think that just having some trust and letting go of your ego helps too. David Lynch wants me to watch a guy sweep a floor while I listen to a pretty great oldies song. Why should that offend me? It's not directly replacing something "more entertaining" and he thinks it's somehow important to the pacing, so why the gently caress not. I'm gonna just enjoy it, tap my toes, and enjoy how this set was dressed and lit. ....hey is that seriously another Renault brother? I'll be darned.

In Catching the Big Fish Lynch uses phrases like "movies let you enter a world you want to experience" and with a world that's so enjoyable to experience I'm down for pretty much whatever. Like how you can hang out with a good friend and you don't have to do SOMETHING, you can just be around each other and it's pleasant.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Those scenes will also make good pee breaks when the inevitable 18-hour marathon screenings start happening.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Man, do I miss this show and the experience of that new episode every week and all the conversation in between. I'm still so haunted by that last episode.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That is shockingly ugly. It looks kind of fake, actually. Like a fan poster.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"one day my log will have something to say about this" did it ever say anything? I mean she's dead now, so?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I quite like that DVD cover myself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yo, if you're itching for more Twin Peaks already, go see Mother! as soon as loving possible.

It's not exactly the same or anything, but while watching it I was consistently drawing parallels between it and Audrey's plotline from season 3.

Super ambiguous and gave me heavy Lynch vibes.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think this is why Lynch's work is confusing. His films all hinge around a central plot that's usually pretty standard by storytelling conventions, so you expect it to arc in a certain way. Except, unlike the vast majority of what we expect from the medium, the plot is window dressing for the style, not the other way around. He's not so much using his art to tell a story, he's telling a story as a way to make art. It's absolutely not how you're supposed to do it and most people who try and do that fail horribly (with notable exceptions like Jodorowsky, Bunuel, Maya Deren, Roy Andersson, Bergman, etc)

This is a simplistic and bad explanation of David Lynch.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I guarantee you Lynch made that cover himself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I doubt it. If it was up to him it would probably be a pencil drawing of the frogroach or something

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
weird that the design on coop's side is a mix of the red curtains and zigzag floors

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s probably a temp cover.
Can’t wait for the Blu-ray !

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

OscarDiggs posted:

So, power through? It's what I was going to do anyway of course, but if there was some very obvious big picture I was missing, I just needed it pointed out to me. Thanks.

Thank you! I'll try and get on that. I'll think I'll keep at season 3 first though, and then come back again after. See if it "clicks" more later in the season, and when I've been properly educated.

So pretty much stop thinking so much about it? So pretty much do the exact opposite of what I've been doing?

It took me a LONG time to get into Lynch. Don't worry if it doesn't come naturally (or at all). He's a painter of moods and nightmares and some people vibe on that and some don't. Lynch didn't naturally resonate with me for years and but over time I kept coming back to his work and getting more out of it. I think Blue Velvet was the bridge for me (along with an essay about it by David Foster Wallace). And I still don't like Inland Empire (vibing on IE is basically how you get a Ph.D. in Lynch). I think Lynch's oeuvre is varied enough that SOMETHING will work for you (even if it's just TPS1 and 2) but varied enough that not everything will. Or, it might in ten years like it did for me. :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I like how the zig-zag is continued at the bottom by Cooper's collar. The cover looks fine to me; it's in the same vein as the Complete Mystery cover.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is a simplistic and bad explanation of David Lynch.

you're a simplistic and bad person

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

I doubt it. If it was up to him it would probably be a pencil drawing of the frogroach or something

wa27 posted:

I like how the zig-zag is continued at the bottom by Cooper's collar. The cover looks fine to me; it's in the same vein as the Complete Mystery cover.

At least that one is evocative of the themes of the show as a whole. The season three poster is just good guy/bad guy Twin Peaks flavour:

My personal favourite is the DVD cover with a portrait of Laura Palmer on a partially transparent slipcase. When you remove it, there is Laura's face after her death. It's literally the ugly truth beneath the wholesome surface.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The box shows that Coop has been fractured into two different people in two different places. Its not as beautiful as the the DVD or Blu Ray covers of the OG run above but its good enough.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/15/david-lynch-twin-peaks-finale/amp/

FRANICH: Do you ever have any Monica Bellucci dreams?
LYNCH: So many you can’t count ’em.

:worship:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
FRANICH: Do you view “Richard,” Kyle in Part 18, as a different character from the Agent Cooper that we’ve seen previously? Should we consider that a slightly different version of the character?
LYNCH: You should look at that part again, and you could see it in different ways. I’m not gonna talk about it, though.

:aaa::allears:

edit:

"It’s the Roadhouse in Twin Peaks. To listen in to two or three characters talking about what’s going on in their lives in Twin Peaks was the thing. They’ve all got their problems, and [they’re] dealing with them."

so the roadhouse scenes were not in audrey's head, probably?

edit2: and the bit about catherine coulson.. holy poo poo. this is a pro-read interview not that I needed to tell this thread to read the first post-finale interview with lynch

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 15, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Re: Log Lady

quote:

Catherine passed away four days after she shot that scene

Goddamn

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hakkesshu posted:

Re: Log Lady

Goddamn

The Walrus posted:

edit2: and the bit about catherine coulson.. holy poo poo. this is a pro-read interview not that I needed to tell this thread to read the first post-finale interview with lynch
:smith:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Quantum of Phallus posted:

quote:

FRANICH: Talking about some of the actors you worked with this season, one actor you worked with was… yourself!
LYNCH: Unbelievable! Unbelievable! A pain in the rear end to work with, though! Talk to Sabrina about that guy.

bless

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Twin Peaks: The Return - LYNCH: [laughs] [does not answer]

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lynch whackin’ it all day to Monica Bellucci :patriot:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
LAST NIGHT I HAD ANOTHER JIM BELUSHI DREAM

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
How do you interview Lynch and, knowing he never discusses answers and interpretations of his completed works and never wants to color people's personal viewings of his work, proceed to ask a million questions about what this or that means or what inspired this or that?

quote:

Is that central to your conception of Twin Peaks, that that character is never quite safe?

Do you view “Richard,” Kyle in Part 18, as a different character from the Agent Cooper that we’ve seen previously? Should we consider that a slightly different version of the character?

I’d love to know what you and Peaks co-creator Mark Frost intended with these scenes, all these check-ins on new characters?

What was the inspiration for that elaborate exit?

Where did the inspiration for the atomic bomb entering into the world of Twin Peaks come from?

What was the inspiration for the way you brought Sarah Palmer into this season?

What was your inspiration for that?

Are those happy coincidences?

What is the story with Billy?

Do you have any ideas for what would be next?

jesus

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/15/harry-dean-stanton-dead/

Harry Dean Stanton just died.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :cry:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mary had a little clam posted:

How do you interview Lynch and, knowing he never discusses answers and interpretations of his completed works and never wants to color people's personal viewings of his work, proceed to ask a million questions about what this or that means or what inspired this or that?

I’m glad Esco posted his podcast here cos those EW guys are insanely irritating on the Twin Peaks podcast.
Darren Farachi or whatever is insufferable.