Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, I guess just writing incredibly hostile posts at people who have different opinions of podcasts is an improvement....

I don't know how many different ways I can say the exact same thing before it sinks in. I don't care if people dislike a podcast.. I care if they express that dislike in a way that is rude and condescending to people who do like it.

Edit: I just noticed that's the third post in a row where you misinterpret what I'm saying. Am I being trolled?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

I don't know how many different ways I can say the exact same thing before it sinks in. I don't care if people dislike a podcast.. I care if they express that dislike in a way that is rude and condescending to people who do like it.

Edit: I just noticed that's the third post in a row where you misinterpret what I'm saying. Am I being trolled?

Dude step back and calm down. That quote you posted literally is them saying "That's nice you don't like thing." You really are coming off as overly hostile about a podcast like you have some personal stake in it. Also point out at what point I said people who like Nightvale are shallow because at no point did I say that yet you keep accusing other people of reading your posts wrong.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jurgan posted:

If you're getting trolled, it's only because you're continuing to take someone's opinion too personally, regardless of whether it's because someone doesn't like the podcast or someone thinks fans of the podcast have worse taste than them for continuing to like it. Someone disliking either a series you like or a fandom you're a part of isn't a personal attack on you.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

Dude step back and calm down. That quote you posted literally is them saying "That's nice you don't like thing."

Did you read the second part of the quote where he said "we never write to fan feedback?" So saying that they only write based on what fans will like is calling him a liar. This whole thing started when someone said "they started pandering to their audience," which strikes me as unfair.

Len posted:

Also point out at what point I said people who like Nightvale are shallow because at no point did I say that

Len posted:

The only people outside of SA I've ever met who know of Nightvale are this exactly. Granted it's not a large pool but my anecdotal evidence tells me ['shipping and fanservice rather than good stories] are exactly what the fans want.

Sinteres posted:

If you're getting trolled, it's only because you're continuing to take someone's opinion too personally, regardless of whether it's because someone doesn't like the podcast or someone thinks fans of the podcast have worse taste than them for continuing to like it. Someone disliking either a series you like or a fandom you're a part of isn't a personal attack on you.

I'm tired of this. I didn't intend a giant argument. But I don't think people should insult other people based on their opinions of what shows they like. I'm looking at the rules for RGD and they say you shouldn't be a dick to other posters or "Post in threads for the sole purpose of being a dick to everyone that likes a particular show." Okay, as far as I can tell no one was posting for the sole purpose of being a dick to fans of other shows, but saying "you have bad taste if you like this show" is pushing right up to the line. Since I'm not a mod I don't get to make that call, but what does it accomplish? Why would you want to insult people just for having different opinions? Quite simply, while it's fun to talk about what you like and dislike about shows, I think it's rude and inappropriate to insult people for their opinions on entertainment.

Believe it or not, I'm not taking most of this personally. Stepping back, I can see how it looks that way. I'm pretty sure someone just said "oh crap, he's still posting about this?" I was trying to push back when I thought someone was being inappropriately hostile, but unfortunately I seem to be having the opposite effect and we're going in circles. Fine, this will be my last post on the subject, as it's stressing me the gently caress out (not the "you like a bad show" part but the "you rear end in a top hat, you're pissing people off" part) and probably other people too.

So, how 'bout that new Black Tapes? As far as I can tell, the history of the Pythagorean cult is legit and was kind of fun to hear about, but I still can't keep track of who all these characters are.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I actually thought the weakest part of Nightvale was the whole mayoral election and following assassination plot stuff. It felt a bit too comic book story telling for my taste. Otherwise yeah it feels like they lean on running jokes a bit too much but it's still pretty good and everything after the assassination itself wrapped has been way less intrusive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

READING WORDS I DIDN'T SAY

Yeah at no point in there does it say shallow though?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Terrible Opinions posted:

I actually thought the weakest part of Nightvale was the whole mayoral election and following assassination plot stuff. It felt a bit too comic book story telling for my taste. Otherwise yeah it feels like they lean on running jokes a bit too much but it's still pretty good and everything after the assassination itself wrapped has been way less intrusive.

For a bit I really enjoyed hearing how Kaushik was doing just because I have a co-worker named Kaushik. He's a good guy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Yeah at no point in there does it say shallow though?

Whoa man, don't get anti-semitic too.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The Magnus Archives and Archive 81 take place in the same world. Don't @ me.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone

I'm here to tell you that night Vale was always bad

Welp cya

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BrainParasite posted:

The Magnus Archives and Archive 81 take place in the same world. Don't @ me.

counterpoint: The Magnus Archives has a good second season.

Montalvo posted:

Hey everyone

I'm here to tell you that night Vale was always bad

Welp cya

this guy gets it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
TMA's second season is definitely good. I would actually agree with the referenced Redditor who thinks it focuses too much on the meit taplot though. It shortened the creepy one shot stories and the quality suffered a little bit, especially how the main threat gets nerfed in the season 2 finale.

However, it's still excellent and I am sad I don't have a new episode to look forward to every Wednesday :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

HIJK posted:

TMA's second season is definitely good. I would actually agree with the referenced Redditor who thinks it focuses too much on the meit taplot though. It shortened the creepy one shot stories and the quality suffered a little bit, especially how the main threat gets nerfed in the season 2 finale.

However, it's still excellent and I am sad I don't have a new episode to look forward to every Wednesday :(

I don't believe we even know what the main threat is. Also not sure what season 2 finale part changed any of the threat at all. !Sasha was imprisoned before the finale and isn't dead is just weakened. Leitner was never the threat. Season 3 is going to be an awesome Jon Roadtrip I hope!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

HIJK posted:

I don't think not-Sasha was the main threat, just the most immediate one. We now have Elias/The Observer as a new major threat (I mean, he does appear to be framing John for murder), plus who knows what else once John leaves the relative protection of the Archive

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Sure but hearing not-Sascha put away so neatly was a real let down after all the work they put in to make her threatening. I think it was a bit wasteful. Leitner was cool and it was nice to get clarification on the library but that particular bit just annoyed me.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Opinions so edgy they could cut you:
Night Vale - Good
Alice Isn't Dead - Good
Within the Wires - Good
Orbiting Human Circus - Bad
Conversations with People who Hate Me - Bad

I started the Magnus Archives not long ago (just finished ep18), and I'm enjoying it so far. There have been little bits of a larger plot dropped in that you guys say will develop into something; I'm looking forward to that.

Archive 81 is awesome, both seasons. As is their little one-off podcast The Deep Vault. Is there more Archive 81 coming? I thought the end of season 2 was a pretty satisfying conclusion.

I've also been impressed at how Sayer managed to continue after the end of season 3.

I don't know why I'm still listening to The Black Tapes and Tanis. I guess I hope they'll go somewhere eventually? I'm also hoping they never do more of Rabbits, because that was a nicely self-contained story with a solid end. And yeah, PNWS is the undisputed master of the overly-dramatic pause.

If you like Myths and Legends, be sure to try his new series, Fictional. It's retelling of stories from famous literature (Sherlock, Dante's Inferno, etc) in his rather unique style.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So Rabbits was a one-and-done story, then? I listened to the first few episodes but figured it was just going to be an endless Tanis type thing, but if it actually goes somewhere and wraps up, I'll give it a shot. I liked the more grounded premise of basically an ARG that has gone on for centuries than... well, whatever the basis for Tanis and TBT was.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'll put it this way:
Whether or not PNWS makes more, the current ten episodes of Rabbits tell a complete story. It has some of the flaws of their other shows, and it does get weird, but I thought it was their best effort yet.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 16, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I want to apologize for getting out-of-hand a few days back, especially to Ten Cent Fang. I remember in the last version of this thread it somehow came up that there are a lot of LGBT characters in podcasts and a pretty heated argument came up about whether that was "pandering." So I think I overreacted when I thought we were going there again and tried to nip it in the bud. Ironically I started the argument I was trying to avoid, and in the process acted like a jerk without realizing it. It's very Oedipal (the "self-fulfilling prophecy" part, not the "boning your mom" part). Anyway, sorry about that. I'll try not to let it happen again.

vortmax posted:

I'll put it this way:
Whether or not PNWS makes more, the current ten episodes of Rabbits tell a complete story. It has some of the flaws of their other shows, and it does get weird, but I thought it was their best effort yet.

Huh, that actually sounds good. I thought Tanis was going to be a one-season spinoff of Black Tapes, but I dropped it when I realized it wasn't going anywhere. My biggest problem with both that and Black Tapes is that there are too many characters to keep track of. I can't follow the conspiracy because I can't remember who all the players are. It's a learning experience, though, in that I've gotten feedback on my unpublished novel that I have way too many characters to keep track of. So it helps me get in the reader's head and figure out ways to streamline things.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So wait is this season of Tanis over?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

vortmax posted:

I started the Magnus Archives not long ago (just finished ep18), and I'm enjoying it so far. There have been little bits of a larger plot dropped in that you guys say will develop into something; I'm looking forward to that.

You're five ahead of me and I now feel the need to race you to the end. Curse my competitive streak.

Jurgan posted:

I want to apologize for getting out-of-hand a few days back, especially to Ten Cent Fang. I remember in the last version of this thread it somehow came up that there are a lot of LGBT characters in podcasts and a pretty heated argument came up about whether that was "pandering." So I think I overreacted when I thought we were going there again and tried to nip it in the bud. Ironically I started the argument I was trying to avoid, and in the process acted like a jerk without realizing it. It's very Oedipal (the "self-fulfilling prophecy" part, not the "boning your mom" part). Anyway, sorry about that. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Don't worry about it, we're cool. :angel:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

You're five ahead of me and I now feel the need to race you to the end. Curse my competitive streak.

Don't worry about it, we're cool. :angel:

Good to know. I've been listening to a lot of politics podcasts lately (everything from Crooked Media is good), which means I haven't had time to listen to much fiction. I'm still crawling through season 2 of Magnus. Actually, I think I have a problem with anything that's just one person talking to the microphone. The writing is very good, but my mind tends to wander and lose focus. My favorite podcasts tend to be ones with a cast of actors performing off each other.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
For me personally, podcasts verge on meditational as much as anything else, so I prefer a single speaker droning about something interesting. Otherwise it's too chaotic, and more characters just means more ways for it to gently caress up.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Jurgan posted:

When you're done boning your mom, I sentence you to The Blood Crow Stories as punishment.

My particular quirk with fictional podcasts is that I need them to in some way acknowledge the fourth wall. The straight-up, old-timey radio show analogues tend to leave me cold. I never got into things like Wolf 359 or psychopomp's podcast because of it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Farg posted:

So wait is this season of Tanis over?

I assume so.. There hasn't been an episode in a couple weeks, but I don't remember some big season finale.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

I assume so.. There hasn't been an episode in a couple weeks, but I don't remember some big season finale.

No, they're just in the middle of an unusually long dramatic pause.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Dramatic pause?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Farg posted:

Dramatic pause?

You've never heard of the dramatic pause? It's something that happens on podcasts- that's like radio for the internet. I'll mail you an explanation using stamps.com

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jurgan posted:

You've never heard of the dramatic pause? It's something that happens on podcasts- that's like radio for the internet. I'll mail you an explanation using stamps.com

I tell you the best thing I ever did for myself while listening to Rabbits was downloading the episodes and just listening to them on my laptop so I could manually skip the ad sections.

stamps.com/rabbits. that's stamps.com/rabbits. or click on the little microphone and put in, rabbits. something blue apron mattresses it's like tv for your ears!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Jurgan posted:

Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing something about that on the Dark Net. It was taken down pretty quickly by a master hacker, but they were no match for my tracking algorithms.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just got done bringing through all of Crimetown and while I loved the podcast, it had maybe the most miserable advertisements. Particularly because they reused the same recordings for the same products for every episode (and for a podcast where most episodes were ~30 minutes, I think six minutes or so were ads). The one advertising the group discussion of podcast hosts from that network as the narrator breathlessly describes it as an "extraordinary conversation" particularly grated.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I just got done bringing through all of Crimetown and while I loved the podcast, it had maybe the most miserable advertisements. Particularly because they reused the same recordings for the same products for every episode (and for a podcast where most episodes were ~30 minutes, I think six minutes or so were ads). The one advertising the group discussion of podcast hosts from that network as the narrator breathlessly describes it as an "extraordinary conversation" particularly grated.

See, I don't mind much if the ads are dry copy being read the same way each time. That's no different than television or radio. What annoys me is when they try to work the ads into the universe of the podcast. PNWS is the worst offender, always talking about how useful Bombas Socks are when you're trying to unravel a global conspiracy. I get that it's supposed to make the world feel more real, but it has the opposite effect for me. Having these characters stop everything to do a promo just makes it seem like the threat is far less serious than they're making it out to be.

A similar note is how many of them are so devoted to the "found footage" concept that they go out of their way to give an in-universe explanation for how the recording was made. Bright Sessions does this a lot- "Wait, why are you recording this?" "Oh, well, I was just thinking..." - and it's one of the very few things I dislike about that show.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 18, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
File Number 060723; a subject describes their experience with the intense comfort and microbe destroying power of MacWelden undies. Recorded by Johnathon Sims, head archivist of the Magnus Institue, London. Statement begins.

*paul F thompkins begins drawling*

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Crimetown got extremely boring extremely quickly; and the two narrators were trying way too hard to be gritty.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Jurgan posted:

A similar note is how many of them are so devoted to the "found footage" concept that they go out of their way to give an in-universe explanation for how the recording was made. Bright Sessions does this a lot- "Wait, why are you recording this?" "Oh, well, I was just thinking..." - and it's one of the very few things I dislike about that show.

This is probably the thing I'm most annoyed by that's done in The Magnus Archive. A third of the supplemental recordings in the second season don't have a particularly good reason for being recorded, but they still insist on having Jonathan Sims say "End Supplemental" at the end, instead of him just turning it off, or reflecting on what happened afterwards and then saying it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

then there's the sound of the play button being pushed, which I guess means that I'm listening to these tapes or something, but why don't i also hear myself putting the cassette in the deck and pushing it closed? or did sims splice in the sound of the play button being pressed in editing the tapes??? Or are each of these recordings only 13 minutes long and then he records a 30-second supplemental on a whole other tape, I mean that's just so wasteful. But if it's on one tape, why is the play button being pushed again? At the end of each story, am I, the listener, pressing Stop, then immediately Play again so I can hear the supplemental?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

then there's the sound of the play button being pushed, which I guess means that I'm listening to these tapes or something, but why don't i also hear myself putting the cassette in the deck and pushing it closed? or did sims splice in the sound of the play button being pressed in editing the tapes??? Or are each of these recordings only 13 minutes long and then he records a 30-second supplemental on a whole other tape, I mean that's just so wasteful. But if it's on one tape, why is the play button being pushed again? At the end of each story, am I, the listener, pressing Stop, then immediately Play again so I can hear the supplemental?

I'm not even listening to these on a tape recorder, I'm playing them on my cellphone?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I would assume that the supplementals have to be on separate tapes. The season two plot line (as of three or four episodes in) is that Jonathan is investigating a murder, and his prime suspects are his coworkers. So I would assume he wouldn't make recordings about his suspicions where his coworkers would be able to listen to them.

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm not even listening to these on a tape recorder, I'm playing them on my cellphone?

No, you can't do that, the stories are so disturbing that they can't be recorded digitally. I kind of hated that plot twist- it seems so silly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not disturbing supernatural :iiam: it's definitely not a high point of the writing so far but it might pan out for a good thing at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I always thought it was a contrivance to use some nice background sound effects. I'm cool with it in a series that features haunted books and a ghost trap table. A tape recorder beats using a typewriter or wax cylinder Ediphone.