Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

Maybe people are the same, no matter where you are.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

Chinese people are different, please respect TCM.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Welcome back Plunger, I drove 30 miles to get Indian food in your honor* tonight. I do not expect runny shits.
*: not quite, I just love Indian food and your post reminded me I hadn't had any for a while.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

BONGHITZ posted:

but also maybe the exact opposite of this

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I have never had panipuri.

Around here, it's ~$8 for 7 so I've been passing them over --

-- but all this talk is amping up the perception of novelty and boy am I sucker for low-effort novelty-seeking

Might have to finally take the plunge

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gotta get em fresh

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If you have an Indian grocery nearby, they often sell puris and everything else you need to make them... they're not super complicated and it's fun to sit around assembling one at a time for maximum crunch. Just tell the guy at the counter you want to make panipuri/golgappa, he can probably hook you up.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Haier open an india thread, just try it, would love to read posts about the food and what it's like there, because I would say the odds of me ever going to India are like .5%.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Welcome back, Bajaj!

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
india is one of the worlds prime shitholes, it deserves a regular thread

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Great Autismo! posted:

Haier open an india thread, just try it, would love to read posts about the food and what it's like there, because I would say the odds of me ever going to India are like .5%.

there are India threads. they pop up every time a women gets executed for trying to report a rape to the police. they go really well

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

'You Vixen': Knox Grammar mothers sue each other for defamation over WeChat comments

Two mothers at one of Sydney's top private schools are suing each other for defamation after posting comments about each other on the instant messaging app WeChat.

Ava Wei Wu and Michelle Li Chen both had sons at Knox Grammar, in Sydney's northern suburbs, and became friends in mid-2011.

However, their friendship soured in March 2016 and both women took to various Knox parents' groups on WeChat, sparking a feud that has gone all the way to the NSW Supreme Court.

Ms Wu, a mother of two, claimed Ms Chen's comments convey the defamatory imputations that Ms Wu taught children to act with violence, attempted to commit murder and tried to run over a policeman.

In a statement of claim, obtained by ABC News, Ms Wu said her former friend made her out to be a "savage person", an incompetent manager and an unethical person in a series of posts on March 5, 2016. She claims some of the posts were seen by up to 1,000 WeChat forum members.

However Ms Chen launched her own defamation case, claiming Ms Wu published a series of offensive posts about her.

Ms Chen said those posts were seen by at least 64 members of the English as a Second Language (ESL) group at Knox and 24 members of the Knox Mothers WeChat group.

Screenshots of the chats tendered to the court show Ms Wu wrote posts including: "In front of me you call me baby and darling, and behind my back you stab me madly with a knife.

"You really think that you are a high class lady by sending your children to a private school, and by buying a few fake handbags?

"And don't forget, the reason why your son got into Knox is because I noticed the vacancy for you and told you and acted as your referee, I even went to the office with you.

"Don't get so innocent when you are really a bitch! Let me see who is phony and pretentious! Fake Face, Michelle Chen! Look here!"

Ms Chen replied: "@Ava you vixen! Yeah? I just finished my meeting and I see you bitching like a vixen!"

On separate forums Ms Chen accused Ms Wu of "destroying" another woman's family by having an affair with a married man in their native China.

"...such a person who was a mistress and destroyed the families of others is bad in essence," Ms Chen wrote.

"She was the one that boasted about helping my son get into private school by her acting as a referee, when I actually already had two friends write reference letters."

She also wrote: "How dare you attack others when you buy fake products yourself?"

And, "Ava, self-proclaimed chair of ESL, brutally attacked and abused me in our year 4 group and her friendship circle".

In her defence filed with the court, Ms Chen denied her posts convey the defamatory imputations Ms Wu claims.

However, if the court does find the imputations are conveyed, Ms Chen said she can successfully defend her conduct because what she had said was largely true.

She said on a 2012 playdate, Ms Wu encouraged Ms Chen's 12-year-old daughter to hit Ms Wu's 7-year-old. She further claimed at a dinner party Ms Wu's husband said his wife had once tried to avoid a random breath test and attempted to run down a police officer. And she accused Ms Wu of being an ineffective convenor of the Know non-English speaking parents group because of her limited grasp of English.

In May the mothers were ordered into mediation however they were unable to settle the matter. Earlier this month the case was set down for a five-day trial before Justice Lucy McCallum without a jury in July next year.

In a statement, Knox Grammar said: "The dispute is a matter between the two individuals and it would be inappropriate for us to comment further while the matter is before the courts.

"The social media group was not an official communication channel nor endorsed by the school."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-15/knox-mothers-defamation-case/8945082?sf114212219=1

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was wondering why this thread is lively again. I see Haier has returned to us.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
He's out of the smog and it's brought him to a haier level of consciousness.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Rugby_League_mums.txt

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ahahhaahhaaahahhahaahhahhahaha

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Steakandchips posted:

Love dosa, the Indian chowmein, the gulab jamuns. Not the biggest fan of vadapav and idli, but I would not turn my nose down at them. Not sure what a Franky is, googled it, looks like a shawarma/burrito, any specific difference?
Frankies vary in approach. One of my favorite things about regional non-traditional foods like vadapav and frankies is that because they came from somewhere like Mumbai, all other cities making them want to make their version better or more famous, and there's a competition as to who can make it more and more weird and stuffed. The basic idea remains, but the ingredients can be wildly different. I've never had a true "Mumbai" vadapav or frankie, because the guys I buy from want to get famous on their own styles.
Frankies are similar to a burrito/wraps, but without rice and instead with fried everything inside (like pakora, cutlets, paneer, and patties), and then the chutneys are added, fresh veg and onion, sometimes a handful of shredded cheese, and all inside an XL roti that is sometimes not a roti and instead a huge oily puri. They will kill you eventually.

bongwizzard posted:

I love trying weird sodas and would like more information about these Indian soda shops with 1 million flavors.
Basically, the India fountain soda syrup companies make very, very localized flavors fit for a domestic audience. I have seen cardamom, chocolate, peanut, mint, pistachio, banana, green and black tea, coffee, and a wide variety of flower flavors. I can still buy coffee soda in the supermarkets here.
I don't know where this started (though apparently they are most popular in Gujarat), but I've seen them across India for years now and the price has always been the same. The most popular flavors are in the machines ready to be dispensed, but the other flavors are in bottles and the syrup is poured into a cup and then filled with plain soda water and then stirred for a moment. You can make combos and add all sorts of crap to it. There are often alcohol-flavored sodas that seriously taste like sweetened replicas of the original. My favorite, Fruit Beer, tends to be a hit or miss but tastes like really sweet beer with some berries or unknown fruit essence. On a hot day/night, the coldness of the drinks is what makes it best.
Here's an NPR article:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/04/14/523405061/on-a-hot-day-indians-love-to-sip-a-spicy-soda-thats-a-bit-funky-too

My biggest problem is some of the shops here only have signs in local languages, and so I have no clue what to order and just have to ask for boring flavors we all know (Cola, lemon, etc.).

You see it says buttermilk on the sign? You can mix all sorts of stuff into sodas here if you ask for it.

You can even buy ready-made soda rickshaws

Green mango and Ghat mango, two very different flavors and somehow some of these syrups capture the tastes very well.

I often see little wood carts on where a guy has a big tank of soda water and then a horde of syrup bottles to make what you want.

beep-beep car is go posted:

The funny thing is, your China posts made me want to avoid China, and your India posts make we want to go to India. Back in the late 90s in the first Dotcom boom, the startup I was working for hired a few programmers out of Hyderabad and my boss was like "want to go to India and help them get settled for a few weeks?" I was still new in the job and only like 20 and I freaked out about international travel and said no. It was entirely stupid of me, I should have gone!

How is only knowing English in India vs only knowing English in China? Any language difficulties?
People either love or hate India. There is absolutely no in-between. Either you love how crazy it is doing anything here, and can overlook many of the problems in quality and filth and people, or you hate it for the problems of quality and filth and people. At age 20, you might have loved the hell out of it, or been so scared of being out of your comfort zone and deep into the Bob Zone that you might have cracked. Even experienced travelers often come away from a week or two in India with a really sour feeling about it. Most people lose it from the moment they exit the airport and are pestered by the taxi guys.

English is all you need in India, besides knowing numbers, "stop," (for taxis, not for rapes) and a few other words in a local language. People that do or don't speak English are always ready and excited to speak it. Educated Indians or those fluent-enough often do not mess around and do not want to miss their chance to question you about yourself, your culture, and always politics. Unlike Chinese, who will abandon friendship with you if you want to debate something, Indians love to debate and discuss and have a rich history of logic and argument. After some friendly greeting, or maybe none, you'll suddenly be drawn into some deep issue that they've always wanted to get a fresh view on or know how a foreigner thinks about it.

English is the lingua franca, as Indians traveling across India use English to communicate with each other when they can't speak any of the local language. A lot of guys in service positions will learn just enough to do what the customers want. Even yesterday in the supermarket, I walked up to a girl working there and asked if the pot I was holding would work well with an induction cooker, and she walked me around the housewares aisles and explained all about the pots and which is best for the foods I am trying to cook. I know that about 70% of the time I will have no problem getting an English speaker.
Educated and/or rich Indians sometimes see it as a point of upper-classness even in this day and age to converse in English and use it a lot. The thing is that a majority of them have horrible grammar or use local language grammar and word order when they are not paying attention, and it negates the affluent air they are trying to convey.
Indian online writing is even worse and iz wrttn lyk dis bcuz dis how dey wnt 2 luk kool, yaar. I've seen 40-year-olds write like that online.

The common thing is if they are in a position to keep your attention or feel friendly enough, they will ask "do you want tea?" Tea is the facilitator of conversation, and if an Indian asks if you want tea, it means they want you to stay and talk with them for 20-60 minutes. You can turn down the tea and still talk and it is fine, especially when they offer you a cup of super buzz chai at 10pm.

Of course, the most common questions are "WHAR ARE YOU FROM COME? WHAT IS YAR NAME? HOW DO U LIKE INDIYA?" It's the India equivalent of a "halloouuu."

There are a lot of old British-isms in the English, my favorite being the long-forgotten "cum" being used as "and" or "in addition to." It's most common in signs, but people still say it as well. You'll be out and see "Festival cum films showcase," or "Beauty clinic cum massage." It will never get old.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Welcome back Plunger, I drove 30 miles to get Indian food in your honor* tonight. I do not expect runny shits.
*: not quite, I just love Indian food and your post reminded me I hadn't had any for a while.
It is an honor to help you spend more of your money. What did you get?

Accretionist posted:

I have never had panipuri.

Around here, it's ~$8 for 7 so I've been passing them over --

-- but all this talk is amping up the perception of novelty and boy am I sucker for low-effort novelty-seeking

Might have to finally take the plunge
That price is criminal. You can gain a lot of face among them if you shout and point a lot. It works like China, but just make sure you are rich and have powerful connections. They will just laugh at you if you throw a tantrum and can't harm them in some way.
I would suggest you try, just because. It's a new flavor, something different.

Chomp8645 posted:

He's out of the smog and it's brought him to a haier level of consciousness.
I'll be near Delhi next month to meet CG, and the AQI should be between 500 and 999+ to infinity. I hate all of UP and Delhi, and I brought air filter masks with me from China.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This food chat...

We should repopulate the Detroit metro by bringing in 1,000,000 Indians

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
How easy is it to get bhang lassi these days and what's in it?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Okay seriously, where can I get a Frankie in the dc area

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Frankie chat is making me miss frankies. If anyone wants to try outside India, look on the menu for Veg Roll, Kathi Roll, or just Roll. I can buy them across the street from my friend's restaurant, but if anyone sees me it is big face loss for all of us involved (how dare I not partake in his snack counter!).

Subways (sandwich shop) are everywhere in big and medium cities in India now. This has spurned a healthy competition of Indian-styled subs with stupid names.

"This is a sandwich in Thailand, yes? Bangkok Breadkok?"

These are Subway India:

TsarZiedonis posted:

Okay seriously, where can I get a Frankie in the dc area
I can only find in NYC
http://bombayfrankie.com/
Warning: Music playing on 1998 web design.

Kharnifex posted:

How easy is it to get bhang lassi these days and what's in it?
If you're in a legal state for it, like Rajasthan or Odisha, then very easy. Just go to the government bhang shop and buy it, or buy the weed ball and take it home to make yourself. In Rajasthan apparently they sell a lot of sweet balls that are just high-powered edibles that will make the day disappear, followed by puking green stuff. In Odisha, weed is part of the daily diet of Shaivites, and you can buy it by the bag to smoke, in a lassi, or take-and-make, all sold in shops with signs that say "GOVT BHANG SHOP."

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bajaj posted:

If you're in a legal state for it, like Rajasthan or Odisha, then very easy. Just go to the government bhang shop and buy it, or buy the weed ball and take it home to make yourself. In Rajasthan apparently they sell a lot of sweet balls that are just high-powered edibles that will make the day disappear, followed by puking green stuff. In Odisha, weed is part of the daily diet of Shaivites, and you can buy it by the bag to smoke, in a lassi, or take-and-make, all sold in shops with signs that say "GOVT BHANG SHOP."

superbowl to your plumpy holes saar!

Tell me more about the weed situation in india please.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Indian food is the only type of food I like more than Chinese food

it is so loving good

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I wonder if anyone in the history of the world has been like "man european food is so good, it's my favortie"

Except bankrupt countries i guess cuz they're pretty good cooks intaly and grease

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Spanish food is good too

Mediterranean stuff in general is

Northern European food has its place, I guess. Sometimes meat, potatoes, and mustard kinda hit the spot.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

karma_coma posted:

I wonder if anyone in the history of the world has been like "man european food is so good, it's my favortie"

Except bankrupt countries i guess cuz they're pretty good cooks intaly and grease

Hmm yes nobody in the world likes French food at all

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hmm yes nobody in the world likes French food at all

You got a point and i'm dumb. What about russian food though.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

A really good roast dinner is nothing to pass up either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

karma_coma posted:

You got a point and i'm dumb. What about russian food though.

Russian food is awesome.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Grand Fromage posted:

Russian food is awesome.

Clue me in. I'm obviously illertiat.

E: Sorry not being a dick or stupid or anything, I love Indian and Chinese food and new mexico food and mexico food, and I guess french food and Mediterranean food, but what is Russian food? I guess i have fallen prey to stereotypes and they all eat potatoes and stash the other half for making vodka.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 15, 2017

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I think somebody somewhere loves every kind of food.

Hell I even don't mind English food.

Is there any cultural that's hosed so bad they have like literally no delicious food? Maybe some places in the worst part of Africa or something where the food culture has been mostly annihilated by scarcity?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

karma_coma posted:

Clue me in. I'm obviously illertiat.

All kinds of good fish things. Borscht is one of the best soups ever, pelmeni are various sorts of dumplings with sour cream. Pirozhki are little bread things full of meat, cheese, potato, etc. Good pickles. They also took in stuff from central Asia like kebabs and pilaf.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is there any cultural that's hosed so bad they have like literally no delicious food? Maybe some places in the worst part of Africa or something where the food culture has been mostly annihilated by scarcity?

I've intentionally been looking for a culture like this and have not yet found it. I have some suspicions about Iceland but even there I'm sure there's just a grilled fish or something that's tasty.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
to be fair on the french food front when someone brings up french cooking they are talking about some sort of snack or dessert about 90% of the time and it is easy to forget that the french cook actual food on occasion

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Be careful with bhang lassi; improper refrigeration/power cuts can lead to a nasty surprise on the come-up.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Africa has bomb rear end food, especially in the countries where it is inconsistent. Gotta live while you can, and all that. The worst food is from places that suffered collapse once or more. Like England, where adding water to everything helps fill the belly and mask the rot.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Grand Fromage posted:

All kinds of good fish things. Borscht is one of the best soups ever, pelmeni are various sorts of dumplings with sour cream. Pirozhki are little bread things full of meat, cheese, potato, etc. Good pickles. They also took in stuff from central Asia like kebabs and pilaf.

I will try, thanks for the heads up.

Fasdar posted:

Africa has bomb rear end food, especially in the countries where it is inconsistent. Gotta live while you can, and all that. The worst food is from places that suffered collapse once or more. Like England, where adding water to everything helps fill the belly and mask the rot.

I lived mainly in Namibia for 3 years but also other places in southern afica (but never the country of south africa) and they can out BBQ Memphis which is saying something serious.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

LimburgLimbo posted:

I've heard independently from two people that food in Bhutan is just depressing. They described it as dehydrated Indian food that tries to replace salt with dried chili.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CIGNX posted:

I've heard independently from two people that food in Bhutan is just depressing. They described it as dehydrated Indian food that tries to replace salt with dried chili.

I've had Bhutanese food where I live and it's great. But this is reminding me of a friend who lived in Myanmar a few years and said the food there sucks rear end, it's just like a bucket of oil with some chicken bones in it. Yet I've been to Burmese restaurants and it wasn't like that at all, so I wonder if the restaurants abroad are making what they would do if they had the money for it in the homeland or are just making poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is there any cultural that's hosed so bad they have like literally no delicious food?

During my short time in the Czech Republic I kinda got the impression that the local cuisine consists of boiled potatoes and meat without any spices whatsoever. They do some of the best beer in the world though, so I guess that counts for delicious?

• Locked thread