Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Team 1: Kloe, Estelle, Anelace, Richard
Team 2: Olivier, Schera, Julia, Mueller
Team 3: Renne, Zin, Joshua, Josette
Team 4: Kevin, Ries, Tita, Agate

That was the setup I ran; the following is how I arrived to that setup:

-Kevin and Ries are obviously forced on the World Will team. Full screen non-elemental (read: physical) attack is really handy there so I took along Agate there. Also because World Will was the only enemy with an attack worth a drat, I put Tita there for her tankiness just in case something goes wrong.
-I wanted to split my Zemurian Ore weapons receivers across all four teams; in my game they were Richard, Kloe/Julia, Joshua and Tita. Since both Kloe and Julia can wield the same Zemurian Weapon I split them across two teams with Julia being in a "later" team since I want her to have it for the boss.
-I also had one copy of some traveler weapon that can be equipped by more than one character. Therefore I split all the character pairs who can equip the same weapon across different teams, with the character who I want the stronger weapon to be given to coming later.
-I split a strong spellcaster in each team to give Divine Eye to. Normally the four strongest spellcasters in the game are Kloe, Schera, Renne and Kevin, but since Schera has another duty I had Olivier take on that duty instead.
-Schera, Julia and Mueller are a fixed chain-focused setup that was set in stone. since I want Julia to take a weapon over Kloe and Josette to take a weapon over Olivier (she needs the +5 SPD more than Olivier does), they went to team 2. This also puts Kloe in team 1 and Josette in team 3.
-The other people were more or less thrown around randomly on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
WMD Tita versus all 4 at the same time

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 15, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really that was about the best possible way to wrap up this whole Gilbert thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Team 1 - The 3rd: Kevin, Ries, Richard, Anelace
Team 2 - Seniors: Agate, Scherazade, Zin, Olivier
Team 3 - Brights: Estelle, Joshua, Tita, Renne
Team 4 - Nobility + Bodyguards: Julia, Mueller, Josette, Kloe

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I did not expect Heaven to have tanks. The Testaments must be one hell of a thing to feature that kind of stuff.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The chest messages :kimchi:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The chest messages make this game so much more than it could have been. It's really remarkable and a great addition.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
I'd like all the chests in this series to know that I appreciate everything they've done for me over the years, and that I couldn't have done it without them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And just wait until you see the ones in CS 2.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, I appreciated the chests here for calling out what a labor of love the Trails in the Sky localization is.

Kotaku has a great article about SC's localization, which, uh, "hard" doesn't really begin to describe it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Chest messages know how hard the heroes and player worked, because they've been with us every step of the way. :kimchi:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Castle of Illusions: Phantasmagoria is a wonderful track.

Have I mentioned already how good this OST is overall?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Super Jay Mann posted:

Castle of Illusions: Phantasmagoria is a wonderful track.

Have I mentioned already how good this OST is overall?

It continues to play even during the battles. Very great dungeon/battle music, but it still doesn't crack my top 3 from this game. One of which we still haven't heard yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The chests being dev messages in this final area is pretty great, yeah. Makes it feel more final.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In addition to the "Speak Lies" skill, the Tildawn's physical attack also carries an instant-death property, which makes these things even bigger assholes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
There's really not much to say about these sections other than praise for the use of chest messages to set a mood.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So are we finishing the game today then?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yes that was the end, thank you for reading

The dungeon parts were quick to slap together into an update and there's not much to discuss, so I figured let's just knock those out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Really Pants posted:

yes that was the end, thank you for reading

The dungeon parts were quick to slap together into an update and there's not much to discuss, so I figured let's just knock those out.

Yeah, I figured you'd probably just combine all four paths into one update. There's no reason to take four days, it's nice to play, but not especially interesting to read.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like putting Estelle up against the Golden Giant because she says 'Frick'

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Having Renne summon Real Pater Mater to cannonmurder Gold Pater Mater is the only right way to end that battle.

quote:

Phantasma has been taking in people's desires for thousands of years now, and it's starting to hit the limits of its own capacity. In order to release some of the pressure that's been building up within, it's likely it will start to erode away the real world.

It won't be something that happens overnight... but slowly, its influence will start to extend across the land, blurring the line between this world and yours.

Until eventually, the real world will be filled with devils and ghosts like this one.

This conversation sheds some light on certain things in the Cold Steel arc that never really get explained there. (Cold Steel 1 and 2 spoilers)

At the start of Chapter 1 of this game, Kevin and Ries note how extremely strange it is that not just one but all three of the higher elements are present in the area. In the Cold Steel games, you visit several areas where these higher elements are also present and while Emma briefly acknowledges this, it's never stressed how utterly bizarre this is and what it could mean. While this phenomenon might be intended in locations like the old schoolhouse at Thors and Lohengrin Castle (and possibly the Ancient Quarry if the "statue" in Nord isn't really a statue after all), which are locations where Divine Knights are sealed and as such are essentially testing grounds for potential Awakeners, other locations include the catacombs underneath Heimdallr and in CS2 even Lunaria Nature Park suddenly gets "infected".

In addition, "Cryptids" suddenly start spawning in various locations across Erebonia, creatures that shouldn't exist in the real world, and yet do. This is clearly the same thing not-Rufina was alluding to in the quoted lines about the real world being filled with devils and ghosts. Near the end of Cold Steel 2, even a formerly functioning location like the old schoolhouse goes haywire, turning into a mini-Phantasma (Thomas even directly compares the two) and letting the party explore what's kind of a debug room that wasn't supposed to be accessed by users.

It's not explained at all in Cold Steel aside from some generic lines about "imbalance", but 3rd all but implies that what threatened to happen with Phantasma in Liberl is already happening in Erebonia; a Sept-Terrion sub-system is slowly but steadily going haywire and is starting to erode the real world. Better step up your game, Rean. There's a malfunctioning eldritch external harddrive that must be head-patted into submission.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 18, 2017

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Can't believe this whole game was about Kevin accepting his Shadow and gaining the power of Persona.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just noticed that in the finishing Chain Craft on Gespenst, Mueller did as much damage as Kloe, Olivier, and Julia put together.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

High ATK, hits twice, and he's last in the chain... It has quite an effect.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm sad you didn't include a gif of the hilariously unnecessarily long PS1-style cut-in animation right before the boss gauntlet begins.

Also these fights were mostly painless anyway on hard but on normal it's a total joke. I enjoyed Murder Death Tank 20X6 taking a whopping 2300 damage from a critical Gordias charge. :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fun fact: Phantasma is Styx Stigma certified

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This was the only final boss in the trilogy I died against, because of that drat ultimate attack, which is just absurd. But at least it wasn't as tedious as Reverie

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This was the only final boss in the trilogy I died against, because of that drat ultimate attack, which is just absurd. But at least it wasn't as tedious as Reverie

Same. I wanted to see what it looked like and also found out too late I didn't have enough time to throw out earth wall after making that decision to let it hit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I beat the first phase by setting up Genesic Barrier to block out Sept-Crisis and then took my time killing the pillars one by one.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think Sept-Crisis weakens as you kill the pillars off?

That area-cutting thing kinda screwed me since it cut off my party members and made one of my melee attackers basically unable to attack.
Of course, since I play on normal it was still manageable to beat it on first try... the boss has tons of HP and some annoying tricks, but Cassius it's not.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting how something like elemental resistances can still tell a story.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

You want to bring revival spells to this fight in case of one of your party members gets isolated because of platform destruction. I had no revival spells so I had only 3 people alive during the last phase of the fight. The final boss theme is real good. Very different from SC's.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I'd switched Kevin's S-Craft back to Grail Sphere, which I actually preemptively cast on the principle of "it'll probably throw out a big attack immediately.
- This was actually one time when Josette came in handy for her fullscreen S-Craft. Zin's unfortunately could only hit like one-three pillars.
- But then Josette immediately became pretty useless, only tossing out single Earth Guards (I even hosed up her orbment so she couldn't cast Earth Wall). I didn't give her a unique weapon because for gently caress's sake she's Josette and you'd have to be insane to play the game 4 times without using any Zemurian Ore just to give her an ultimate weapon.
- But the boss wasn't terribly difficult even with my odd party choice. I tanked the big attacks with Grail Sphere comfortably.
- Interesting thoughts near the end, I hadn't considered that. But of course, isn't the purpose of Phantasma to grant wishes? To help the user? Looks like it's working well.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The number of people that apparently took Josette to the final boss (myself included) is slightly unsettling!

Seems like a consequence of thinking that you'd get another chance to reform your party and then the game says "NOPE, the parties you chose two hours ago are what you're stuck with, have fun!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I at least sent Renne alongside Kevin and Ries.

But Zin was my fourth. Thankfully, with True Distend, he could do serious work on some pillars alone while the others focused on elements.

• Locked thread