Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like achievements because I'm not creative enough to come up with my own objectives for having fun

That's sincere. I don't think that I'd still be playing EU4 if I didn't have a list of interesting-sounding goals. Playing Ethiopia was fun but I don't think that I would have tried that kind of game if left to my own devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

I like achievements because I'm not creative enough to come up with my own objectives for having fun

That's sincere. I don't think that I'd still be playing EU4 if I didn't have a list of interesting-sounding goals. Playing Ethiopia was fun but I don't think that I would have tried that kind of game if left to my own devices
This is why I started playing Ironman and going after achievements, because most games I started I would just lose interest once I achieved a personal goal. Now I quit once I get the achievement popup :v:.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I'm at 1600ish hours but that would probably be more like 600 if it weren't for achievements

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Poil posted:

After my own attempts at playing QQ I can only think of them as :qq:.

All I know is they folded as a lovely ally against the ottomans. I'm probably restarting my Ethiopia game. Can't hold back the the ottos, too much debt. Bankruptcy is certain. Maybe I need to somehow ally the mamluks next run and let them buffer me against Ottos, instead of trying to make a beeline for Alexandria for the Coptic bonuses? This would free me to take the piss out of the East African coast and consolidate my trade collection there so I can actually generate money? Then make my way back north?

Or get an alliance from Austria, Hungary, Poland, Lithuania, or Russia... though I've had no such luck. Was pretty close to getting one with Aaragon, but they don't have adjacent territory to Ottomans.

Edit: Also, is there a strategy for going into bankruptcy?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 15, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Quoting myself to point out that the randomized nations function needs a button you can push that will assign you a random 200 point nation somewhere in the world with random ideas and size and such.

Just push that button and the game boots up and dumps you in a surprise nation in a surprise world.

I would love some sort of "Civ" mode, random map, random nation and then see where you go.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

finished my Brandenburg->Prussia game. Ended up controlling all of the americas and the african trade companies and picking up two achievements, Laughingstock and center of attention, so that was nice. I wish Prussia had a better map colour than almost uncolonized gray, I used to play with a mod that changed it to Prussian blue, but it wasn't Ironman compatible.

It was a fun run especially seeing what the Ai did to Moscow and Novgorod. it started normal with Moscow eating Novgorod, then Denmark taking the Novgorod part from Moscow, followed by Lithuania taking parts of Moscow. Moscow then exploded in a civil war. The minor Russians than fought amongst them self, with Nizhny Novgorod being the dominant power. Novgorod broke free from Denmark, only to be conquered by Sweden and Lithuania. Eventually Sweden broke its alliance with Lithuania and Sweden and the Ottomans basically split Lithuania between them.
Ming also Exploded and Korea emerged as a greatpower.

I'm at a point now where I have done most of the achievements that doesn't require a specific nation and several of the specific ones. Still a lot left, but I kinda miss having the more general ones, since it's nice to have some goals other than blob and colonize. I do wish that there was more triggered modifiers and that they weren't mainly religious ones, since that would help with goals for a campaign other than achievements.
I understand that ages sort of work like that, but I don't have Mandate of heaven and won't buy it until it goes on sale and I'm not even sure then, since it sounds like they broke East Asia with Ming.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

I would love some sort of "Civ" mode, random map, random nation and then see where you go.
I've been begging for this since....EU2, I think?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah, they need to make it so the entire map can be randomized, instead of just the new world. A couple mods have tried and gotten it mostly there, but my impression is they were super crashy.

I'd like to see a Enhanced Randomness DLC.

- Full map randomization
- More tiles
- Enhanced climate/generation (less 'stripy')
- Some more fantasy religion stuff (norse/hellenic etc)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it should be called Terra Incognita. cheque please

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

They should basically add a mode where you make an OPM custom nation, then the game starts on Custom Nations Only rules (bumped income, free colonist) but also seeds between 50 to 100 random AI OPMs around the world. Make the number of AIs an "AI density" option or something.

There used to be an EU3 mod that was basically a ton of OPMs with easier colonisation called Civilisation Universalis and it owned bones but it never got updated for Divine Wind or brought over to EU4. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

isn't there something like that that's about the super black death

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

oddium posted:

isn't there something like that that's about the super black death

I don't know how well up to date the Years of Rice and Salt mod/miscmods is for EU4, or if it was even ever fully ported to begin with, but even then that was only for Europe which was cleared safe for a few OPMs. Civilisation Universalis was that but across the entire world and with a significantly higher OPM density. The few times I tried to play it with a friend, the early game was basically a thunderdome: once each tag had 3 or 4 provinces they'd start bordering another one and things would go south from there.

Speaking of other lost mods, Occultus Mundorum was probably my biggest favourite. Adding extra continents on top of the (slightly modified) regular new world was so fascinating - it was basically throwing off the existing balance rather than setting up a whole new one like RNW does.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

YF-23 posted:

They should basically add a mode where you make an OPM custom nation, then the game starts on Custom Nations Only rules (bumped income, free colonist) but also seeds between 50 to 100 random AI OPMs around the world. Make the number of AIs an "AI density" option or something.

There used to be an EU3 mod that was basically a ton of OPMs with easier colonisation called Civilisation Universalis and it owned bones but it never got updated for Divine Wind or brought over to EU4. :(

Yeah, they used to have a variant like this for EU2 (?) called 'Fantasia'. Randomizer DLC definitely needs a new Fantasia mode too.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

YF-23 posted:

Speaking of other lost mods, Occultus Mundorum was probably my biggest favourite. Adding extra continents on top of the (slightly modified) regular new world was so fascinating - it was basically throwing off the existing balance rather than setting up a whole new one like RNW does.

Not entirely lost. I think this version, renamed as Occultis Orbis Terrestere Revival, is current: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1111809627&searchtext=occultis

I used to play a mod that did the random new world thing for the whole world. I miss it, but to be honest it was kind of bad.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mountaineer posted:

I used to play a mod that did the random new world thing for the whole world. I miss it, but to be honest it was kind of bad.

There was a cool program for EUIII early EUIV that would generate a whole random world like Civ, no pre-made tiles or anything. Something similar exists for CKII. It's definitely my most wanted thing for EUIV.

If I had any programing skills beyond
10 PRINT, "FINTILGIN RULES"
20 GOTO 10
I would make it myself. :smith:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 15, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
YESSSS. Finally managed to form mughals. Jaunpur allied a weak north india minor, , so I waited until it was at war, attacked their friend and snagged Central Doab.

Even better, since I'm no longer timurids, the Ottomans, who had rivaled me, now love me and I got a great ally out of the deal. I can finally afford advisors, and forts!

Any tips for where to expand first? India is juicy, but they hate me fiercely now, and their stuff is pricey to core. Ottos are already in the Levant, but I can so south to steal Mamluk land and maybe reach Egypt. Or creep up toward Kazan for more easy sunni land before Muscovy stops trouncing Lithuaina and grabs it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Not entirely lost. I think this version, renamed as Occultis Orbis Terrestere Revival, is current: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1111809627&searchtext=occultis

Holy hell thanks a bunch for that.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Sephyr posted:

YESSSS. Finally managed to form mughals. Jaunpur allied a weak north india minor, , so I waited until it was at war, attacked their friend and snagged Central Doab.

Even better, since I'm no longer timurids, the Ottomans, who had rivaled me, now love me and I got a great ally out of the deal. I can finally afford advisors, and forts!

Any tips for where to expand first? India is juicy, but they hate me fiercely now, and their stuff is pricey to core. Ottos are already in the Levant, but I can so south to steal Mamluk land and maybe reach Egypt. Or creep up toward Kazan for more easy sunni land before Muscovy stops trouncing Lithuaina and grabs it.

Eat Kazan and cut Muscovy's balls off imo, then conquer India

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah India is worth the price, and as Mughals you get a 35% discount!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy crap. Mughals is awesome. I'm still behind on institutions, but other than that it's going great. I'm alternating in eating India, Mamluks and Russia so I don't form coalitions against me. Jaunpunr and Bahmanis ar eboth huge and allied, and are the main hurdle in India. I'll give Muscovy a good kick, then work on tearing them apart.

There is a decision to change government into something more...modern. Is it worth the effort?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's been a couple years since I've played and I have a bit of the itch again. I haven't kept up on my Steam Sale DLC purchases so I'm kinda behind.

I don't particularly care about music packs or stuff that just adds unit variety or whatever. Are any of the leftovers a Must Have? I've seen some negative stuff about Mandate of Heaven in here.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's been a couple years since I've played and I have a bit of the itch again. I haven't kept up on my Steam Sale DLC purchases so I'm kinda behind.

I don't particularly care about music packs or stuff that just adds unit variety or whatever. Are any of the leftovers a Must Have? I've seen some negative stuff about Mandate of Heaven in here.

Rights of Man is probably up there with Common Sense and Art of War for the best DLC.

Mandate of Heaven is fine, as long as you avoid Asia like the plague.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rights of Man and Cossacks are both pretty good and worth owning imo

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Get Cossacks and Rights of Man. Cossacks adds estate management and more importantly an improved diplomatic system for interacting with AI nations. Rights of Man adds CK2-style traits to your military leaders and rulers, making each ruler much more distinct.

Mare Nostrum has some good features (being able to set ships to repair then return to their fleet) and some that are more mixed (adding counterespionage, which is ultimately a good feature for balance but can be annoying when you are trying to fabricate claims).

The EU4 wiki has good write ups on all the DLC so you can decide for yourself whether the paid features sound worthwhile. http://www.eu4wiki.com/Category:DLC

FYI, the Paradox sale on the Humble Store just ended but they pretty much always do an encore at the end of their sales. Paradox Store sale is still up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Awesome; I got RIghts of Man, Cossacks, and Mare Nostrum. Paradox's sale was still going.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Aside from what's been mentioned--take a look at Third Rome. Do you intend to play a few campaigns in the Russia region or with Orthodox countries? Then this DLC might be worth considering on sale. If the answer is no, or you only see yourself doing one or two runs in the region, then skip it.

I'd say it may become a little more worthwhile after the next expansion, since they're reworking the Georgia region which makes me want to play there for the first time.

But it's as simple as: do you want a bunch of events for Russian states or the rework for orthodox countries?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the streltsy button from third rome is insane. halfway through the game i was raising what would be another nation's entire forcelimit instantly and for free

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah the other two powers are fine but Streltsy is batshit nuts. It literally gives you more soldiers than you know what to do with.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Would it be too much to ask for the blockade mission to not include rebel controlled ports in countries that have nothing to do with the ones I'm fighting? And also maybe to narrow down the size of some of these sea zones so my dozen or so galleys aren't trying to blockade the entire Mediterranean

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Would it be too much to ask for the blockade mission to not include rebel controlled ports in countries that have nothing to do with the ones I'm fighting? And also maybe to narrow down the size of some of these sea zones so my dozen or so galleys aren't trying to blockade the entire Mediterranean
Nah, that feature sailed a long time ago and updating it would not generate revenue!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 15, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you only have a dozen galleys isn't it easier to do it manually anyway

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

skasion posted:

Yeah the other two powers are fine but Streltsy is batshit nuts. It literally gives you more soldiers than you know what to do with.

And those soldiers are also significantly better than regular soldiers! (+10% fire damage iirc)

the extra stability cost is no big deal if you know how to manage your poo poo, I rarely dip into negative stab unless I get really bad luck, and even then I think you could just disband all your streltsy, raise stab and then re-raise most of them if you have the points saved up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It still boggles my mind that they gave Russia that crazy good infantry for free. That sounds like something the French, Prussians, English, or Swedes should have, not backwards rear end, poor, not-industrialized Russia.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Being able to pull Streltsy and Cossacks out of your rear end is pretty great as Russia. They hardly have any land worth stating so lately I've just been stating steppes and handing them over to Cossacks and getting an additional 15% force limit and +10% shock damage cav owns.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

welp now I know how I'm spending this weekend

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a current Single Starting Province mod? I wouldn't mind playing a game similar to how Civilization starts, just in the EUIV engine.

Unrelated, is there a current "This is how you play now" guide?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the single starting province mod is called: stellaris

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The new Stellaris DLC isn't out till next week :argh:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a current Single Starting Province mod? I wouldn't mind playing a game similar to how Civilization starts, just in the EUIV engine.

Unrelated, is there a current "This is how you play now" guide?

Not sure if there's a working updated one. I seem to remember there being some problems with one province AI countries colonizing. They might not have enough income or something. You had to sort of work around it somehow, but I don't remember the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

me at the year 1520: dang the game's practically over. gotta hustle

• Locked thread