Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

It seemed like every LG phone Ever made was just destined to not do well.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Duckman2008 posted:

Fixed that for you.

So what is good these days, phone wise? So far I tried that streaming plan from my old Note 4 and it's working pretty decent (just need to get some remote control for it...). AT&T says they don't stream DirectTV Now HD to mobile, but for some reason I'm getting HD :shrug:. That Note 4 was going to replace my current Note 2 (It's -finally- to the point where I'm about done with it).

I might just get another Note 4 for... what, they're going for $250-ish? Is there any android "Note Killers" in that price range?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm getting a shitton more call spam in the past week, like once per day. Different numbers and stuff. I moved recently.

Is there anything I can do to stem the tide or see who sold me out or do I just need to :sever:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Hed posted:

I'm getting a shitton more call spam in the past week, like once per day. Different numbers and stuff. I moved recently.

Is there anything I can do to stem the tide or see who sold me out or do I just need to :sever:

My partner received 14 text messages in one night, all with different numbers but the same spam message including his first name. I couldn't believe it.

I've been using Hiya which seems to do a decent job at blocking spam calls after no more than one ring.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So.. is there a way to prevent people from bypassing your ringer and going straight to voicemail?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

I've been using Hiya which seems to do a decent job at blocking spam calls after no more than one ring.
Thanks for the rec. If it gets bad enough I will probably have to get over their privacy policy (store contact lists and call logs) and just enable it

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

If i switch FANs, will it screw up my bill for a couple months? Or will the pricing from the old FAN hold until the new one takes effect?

Also, is ATTs website having wierd issues? It wont let me login through a pc but works just fine on my phone. I tried different browsers with and without adblock.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So is this right? I'm going to link instead of embed because I don't know how big it will be (phone screenshot): http://imgur.com/a/vcJQU

My current plan (15gb, 7 devices) is on the left, the unlimited plan is on the right. I end up paying like 280-ish a month so I don't know where that 380 number comes from but that seems like an absurd difference.

Doesn't seem like there would be a reason not to switch if that's the case.

Edit:
Looking at it a little more, it seems wrong. It says I pay $40 per line access charge currently, and the new plan would be $20 per line. But if I look at the actual bill, it does say $40 for access but then it also says a credit of $25 for each line. I'm not sure if that's a promotional rate that's going to go away or if I'm grandfathered into some different rate but it seems like I'm only paying $15 a line. So the unlimited plan is slightly more expensive on its own and then also $5 per line more.

I'm not sure where that discount is coming from though. I have a "national account plan" credit for $19 on there, then a "discount for access" of $25 for each line.

Edit2:

So the $25 a month discount is for being off-contract. The AT&T "compare plans" page is super misleading. And barely mentions that FANs don't apply either. lovely

myron cope fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2017

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah. I was just looking at the same sort of thing. I've got 5 devices on the 15 GB plan and it's a poo poo deal to upgrade.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

myron cope posted:

So is this right? I'm going to link instead of embed because I don't know how big it will be (phone screenshot): http://imgur.com/a/vcJQU

My current plan (15gb, 7 devices) is on the left, the unlimited plan is on the right. I end up paying like 280-ish a month so I don't know where that 380 number comes from but that seems like an absurd difference.

Doesn't seem like there would be a reason not to switch if that's the case.

Edit:
Looking at it a little more, it seems wrong. It says I pay $40 per line access charge currently, and the new plan would be $20 per line. But if I look at the actual bill, it does say $40 for access but then it also says a credit of $25 for each line. I'm not sure if that's a promotional rate that's going to go away or if I'm grandfathered into some different rate but it seems like I'm only paying $15 a line. So the unlimited plan is slightly more expensive on its own and then also $5 per line more.

I'm not sure where that discount is coming from though. I have a "national account plan" credit for $19 on there, then a "discount for access" of $25 for each line.

Edit2:

So the $25 a month discount is for being off-contract. The AT&T "compare plans" page is super misleading. And barely mentions that FANs don't apply either. lovely

Im glad i read your post.. i was about to drop Cox for tv and pick up direct tv and change my att plan to the unlimited. Initially figured it would be about the same with the FAN included but i was wrong. Should have guessed att would screw people over.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

delfin posted:

My wife still loves her Lumia 1020 and its monster camera, but it's about time to upgrade and I think she'd like something with some actual apps. She has a slot on an AT&T plan and pays a la carte for 3GB a month of data for it. What's her best option in Android-land for AT&T these days?

EDIT: Just realized how vague that request was. Looking for an Android phone, something either unlocked or contract-subsidized, running Android and with a good-to-great camera by modern standards.

Posting quite a bit late to the party, but if she wants a good camera, your main option is a Google Pixel or whatever new pixel comes out in October if you're willing to wait that long. The Google branded phone also will probably have a longer tail life because Google tends to do OS/Security updates for their phones longer than third party manufacturers.

Aside from that, I've heard that the Sony Xperia line have pretty good cameras too and can potentially run a spot cheaper than the Pixel, but IIRC Goons don't generally pay them much attention because Sony's baked in software and mods are kind of janky and buggy.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 19, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Possibly a Nokia 8? Should learn real info about that in the next week or so.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Okay, so for the last few years I've been getting emails from AT&T about another person's account. My email address I use is firstlast@gmail.com, and this person signed up with AT&T using first.last@gmail.com. In case anyone isn't aware, gmail ignores any periods in email addresses, so this dude has been having his AT&T bills sent to me for a while. When I first started getting them, I contacted customer support and tried to get it resolved. It didn't work. I tried again two months later and it still didn't take. I kind of gave up at that point and have been ignoring them... but that's not really the right thing to do, so I'm going to try one more time here.

How the heck do I get this fixed? I don't want this guy's payment confirmations. I don't even have an AT&T account anymore, so logging in with my account info and trying to contact support that way doesn't seem like it'll help...

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Call up and cancel "your" account.

Don't actually do this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

Okay, so for the last few years I've been getting emails from AT&T about another person's account. My email address I use is firstlast@gmail.com, and this person signed up with AT&T using first.last@gmail.com. In case anyone isn't aware, gmail ignores any periods in email addresses, so this dude has been having his AT&T bills sent to me for a while. When I first started getting them, I contacted customer support and tried to get it resolved. It didn't work. I tried again two months later and it still didn't take. I kind of gave up at that point and have been ignoring them... but that's not really the right thing to do, so I'm going to try one more time here.

How the heck do I get this fixed? I don't want this guy's payment confirmations. I don't even have an AT&T account anymore, so logging in with my account info and trying to contact support that way doesn't seem like it'll help...

Yeah, it's really on that persons side to fix, and if the person isn't aware or tech savvy enough to fix it, whelp. I would just create a filter for it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Yeah, that's probably the route I'll take, but I figured I'd try one last time to help this random person out before I did it.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Aranan posted:

I had the same thing happen to me (except with a Verizon account). I tried reaching out to the Verizon Support account on Twitter. They tried to help, but like Duckman said, they just tried to reach out to the other person. I still get emails. :saddowns:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Try telling them you'll file a CAN Spam complaint if they don't fix it, that might spur some action.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ATT has come a long way. I had an original iPad with the unlimited data plan. Moving from that to an iPad 3 and then an Air was pretty crappy over the years. Just got a new iPad Pro and migrating the OG Unlimited Plan was pretty easy, and built into the interface. No fuckery changing data on an obscure ATT website.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Not sure if this is for an at&t thread, but I am on At&t and i recently damaged my iphone. I filed a claim and will be paying a deductible of about 110 bucks on my next bill.

They said once my phone is shipped to me, that I need to send back my damaged phone.

Is that correct? I wanted to try and fix it so I can try to get my data from it because although it still works, the screen is severely damaged.

What happens if I don't send it back?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t know about ATT in particular, but usually when companies do this, they will put a temporary authorization on your credit card for the full retail price of your phone when they ship you a new phone, and then wipe it out or change it to the cost of repair when they receive your old phone.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hey helpful ATT peeps:

Some time ago, there were people who could look at your bill and give some advice. I am on the original OG iPad unlimited plan, and separately have a family 700 plan with two iPhones with unlimited data, and a home phone (POTS, yes really). The two cell phones and landline run around $280/mo. I pay that much because I care to have unlimited data.

Is it true that I can get the new top tier unlimited plan without actually getting U Verse or Direct TV and still save money?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Still waiting on my first bill, so someone who knows more can chime in.
https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

$155 for two lines with Unlimited Plus, $20 for each additional line, unlimited data, unlimited talk, 22GB Soft Cap for each device, 10GB hotspot soft cap for each device. Taxes are supposed to be roughly $5 per line. Each line is: A Device is a Device is a Device. Provisioning is supposed to be different for each type of device, but billing wise each device is supposed to be $20 per month. $10 per month discount with autopay and paperless billing checked.

So for you, three device, $155 + $20 + $15 in taxes = $190 without the paperless/autopay discount, $180 with. Plus any insurance you pay for. You can also get DirecTV Now's lowest plan + HBO for an additional $10 a month after bill credits, and streaming those on mobile devices doesn't count against your soft cap because of Data Free TV.

And then you have your landline, whatever that costs. I'm not too familiar with the OG iPad Unlimited Plan, other than people sell it on ebay for bunches of money. I guess it was standalone for cheap? Did it have any soft caps like 22GB?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stoops posted:

Not sure if this is for an at&t thread, but I am on At&t and i recently damaged my iphone. I filed a claim and will be paying a deductible of about 110 bucks on my next bill.

They said once my phone is shipped to me, that I need to send back my damaged phone.

Is that correct? I wanted to try and fix it so I can try to get my data from it because although it still works, the screen is severely damaged.

What happens if I don't send it back?

If you don't send it back they charge you they'll cost of the phone. You have a week to send it back (although really they give you 2-3 weeks).

BeAuMaN posted:

Still waiting on my first bill, so someone who knows more can chime in.
https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

$155 for two lines with Unlimited Plus, $20 for each additional line, unlimited data, unlimited talk, 22GB Soft Cap for each device, 10GB hotspot soft cap for each device. Taxes are supposed to be roughly $5 per line. Each line is: A Device is a Device is a Device. Provisioning is supposed to be different for each type of device, but billing wise each device is supposed to be $20 per month. $10 per month discount with autopay and paperless billing checked.

So for you, three device, $155 + $20 + $15 in taxes = $190 without the paperless/autopay discount, $180 with. Plus any insurance you pay for. You can also get DirecTV Now's lowest plan + HBO for an additional $10 a month after bill credits, and streaming those on mobile devices doesn't count against your soft cap because of Data Free TV.

And then you have your landline, whatever that costs. I'm not too familiar with the OG iPad Unlimited Plan, other than people sell it on ebay for bunches of money. I guess it was standalone for cheap? Did it have any soft caps like 22GB?

The original unlimited iPad plan was $30 for true unlimited, but I don't know where ATT is with their throttling on it (whether they throttle or not throttle). If it's true unlimited and you use the iPad a ton, I would consider leaving it separate, it would only save $10 a month to combine it to the new unlimited plans.

The numbers there look right for the new unlimited plan, so switching to that for phones is def something to consider.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I have a Lumia 920 that I got yonks ago.

Best Buy is current selling unlocked Galaxy S8s for way less than what AT&T is asking.

Can I go to BB, get a phone, take it to the AT&T store, and just have them drop the 920 from my account and activate the S8 without them getting surly? (Would need a new SIM -- can't use the SIM from the 920, it's a micro and the S8 takes a nano.)

Presto fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 20, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Check the fine print. Is BB selling the S8 at that price fully unlocked with no obligation to buy service?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

nimper posted:

Check the fine print. Is BB selling the S8 at that price fully unlocked with no obligation to buy service?

Yep, as far as I can tell.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Presto posted:

Can I go to BB, get a phone, take it to the AT&T store, and just have them drop the 920 from my account and activate the S8 without them getting surly?

To answer my own question: yes you can.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I bought my iPhone 6s two years ago on the unlimited plan-which I'm still on. That was the last time they would subsidize my phone, where I paid $200 for the phone. Am I correct that since it has been two years now (or a month from now), that my monthly charge should start dropping? I'm currently paying about $96/month after taxes for the unlimited plan with something like a 10 or 15% military discount.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Hi all - I’ve been on a grandfathered Unlimited plan since 2007, and get a FAN discount, so my total bill comes to just under $90/month.
What would be the potential downsides to switching to the new Unlimited plan other than a loss of $5 month or so? I routinely go through 40-60 GB/month, and rarely, if ever, encounter any slow down as-is - and would hate to switch only to get slowdown on my phone.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Presto posted:

I have a Lumia 920 that I got yonks ago.

Best Buy is current selling unlocked Galaxy S8s for way less than what AT&T is asking.

Can I go to BB, get a phone, take it to the AT&T store, and just have them drop the 920 from my account and activate the S8 without them getting surly? (Would need a new SIM -- can't use the SIM from the 920, it's a micro and the S8 takes a nano.)

For future reference, you can do this all at bby. We have the ability to change pretty much everything with your account

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't plan on keeping my unlimited. When pre-ordering the new iphone, does it matter which payment option I choose, if I am going to be changing plans at AT&T?

Do I have to chose the AT&T Payments option, or can I just pre-order from Apple/upgrade program if I want?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Do any of you know if you can keep the DirectTV discount with the updated Unlimited Choice plan coming out tomorrow? My wife is currently on the top tier unlimited so we can get the HBO and DirecTV discounts...she uses 2-300MB of data a month. The updated Unlimited Choice is adding HBO but it looks like the DirecTV discount only applies to DTV now?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm still on the old unlimited plan but I traded in my iPhone 6 to get an iPhone 7 for "free" last year.

If I pay $325 to pay off my Next plan, will the phone be unlocked? Seems like it might be worth the trouble if I can net $100 selling my iPhone 7 rather than trading it in.

Also, does that end the monthly bill credits I'm getting from the iPhone 6 that exactly offsets the iPhone 7 Next payments? In other words, will my iPhone 6 credits carry into my iPhone 8 payments?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm still on the old unlimited plan but I traded in my iPhone 6 to get an iPhone 7 for "free" last year.

If I pay $325 to pay off my Next plan, will the phone be unlocked? Seems like it might be worth the trouble if I can net $100 selling my iPhone 7 rather than trading it in.

Also, does that end the monthly bill credits I'm getting from the iPhone 6 that exactly offsets the iPhone 7 Next payments? In other words, will my iPhone 6 credits carry into my iPhone 8 payments?

Your phone can be unlocked after you pay it off. You need to request it. But it shouldn't be too bad. They seem to have improved the process over the years.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TheWevel posted:

Do any of you know if you can keep the DirectTV discount with the updated Unlimited Choice plan coming out tomorrow? My wife is currently on the top tier unlimited so we can get the HBO and DirecTV discounts...she uses 2-300MB of data a month. The updated Unlimited Choice is adding HBO but it looks like the DirecTV discount only applies to DTV now?

You can't. :(

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

After 2 1/2 hours on the phone and two trips to my closest AT&T retail store, and I think things are mostly sorted. Indeed the new Unlimited plans are capped per device not for the whole plan, so it's 22Gb soft cap for each, which is enough.

The iPad they couldn't do over the phone, since it was a separate plan and they could not combine them. Had to do it in store and they put in a SIM (weird because the iPad can now see the Apple SIM and the ATT physical SIM card both). The old iPad p,an still isn't really cancelled, so I need to see how that goes.

And of course the billing people couldn't help since my wireless and wired lines are on combined billing, and nobody know how to even reach that group any more. Good times.

If it's right though it's $50/month in savings. And calls to relatives in Canada will be included.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwiniwn posted:

I bought my iPhone 6s two years ago on the unlimited plan-which I'm still on. That was the last time they would subsidize my phone, where I paid $200 for the phone. Am I correct that since it has been two years now (or a month from now), that my monthly charge should start dropping? I'm currently paying about $96/month after taxes for the unlimited plan with something like a 10 or 15% military discount.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm going to be traveling to Germany for 2 weeks in December. What do I need to do to ensure I don't get my rear end handed to me over random charges?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwiniwn posted:

Any ideas?

Also, I'm going to be traveling to Germany for 2 weeks in December. What do I need to do to ensure I don't get my rear end handed to me over random charges?

Your plan wouldn't drop, the old unlimited was the same price even with two year contract, which was their big appeal.

Compare old and new plans to see which is better monthly, whichever phone you get you will be buying full retail either up front or over 2 years.

For Germany you can either call and get an expensive roaming plan with ATT or buy a local SIM when you get there. ATT international is +1 (916) 843-4685

Not sure if your military discount applies to the new plans, so factor that in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Your plan wouldn't drop, the old unlimited was the same price even with two year contract, which was their big appeal.

Compare old and new plans to see which is better monthly, whichever phone you get you will be buying full retail either up front or over 2 years.

For Germany you can either call and get an expensive roaming plan with ATT or buy a local SIM when you get there. ATT international is +1 (916) 843-4685

Not sure if your military discount applies to the new plans, so factor that in too.

According to my rep, all FAN discounts do not apply to either unlimited plan now.