Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is the worst discussion about Orville yet

Although there is some food for thought to be had about his (yes HIS) species when it's not about semantic pronoun poo poo. If they pair up, presumably they mix genes, so I guess they're hermaphrodites with both sets of genitalia, but who lays the egg in the preview? I can only think that for the purpose of sex one of them decided to be the egg-bearing female

They don't have to have 2 different sets of genitalia, just 1 that is compatible with itself.

Or when 2 Moclans :fap: :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean I think all these issues are literally what the third episode is about.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'm hoping for a lot of alien dick jokes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

adhuin posted:

They don't have to have 2 different sets of genitalia, just 1 that is compatible with itself.

I think that's where it's going yeah, but one of them has to make the egg and then the other has to inseminate it to deliver a complementary set of genes somehow, like with a sperm, unless two eggs combine, which would be a freaky outcome of evolution

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Mother nature is a mad scientist.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
In Dr Who the Sontarans are a slave-species made entirely of cloned males...
:goonsay:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

adhuin posted:

They don't even have to have genitalia in the same way we do. They're aliens.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I mean I think all these issues are literally what the third episode is about.

Well who has seen that yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was in the first three reviewers have talked about

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well who cares what they think anyway, I didn't read any of those. I guess we'll see in a week if he has A PENIS or whatever.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Viewers demand full frontal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

vermin posted:

In Dr Who the Sontarans are a slave-species made entirely of cloned males...
:goonsay:

The asari are all female in mass effect. This is hardly a unique thing in sci-fi

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Azhais posted:

The asari are all female in mass effect. This is hardly a unique thing in sci-fi

It seems to be a thing in really bad scifi though, as in your example.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I liked it in Forever War though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Well who cares what they think anyway, I didn't read any of those. I guess we'll see in a week if he has A PENIS or whatever.

I don't think US network television will let us see if he has a penis. Not first hand anyhow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Babylon 5 you saw Londo's penis, which he used to cheat at cards.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well, one of them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That makes me wonder... how do US censors work around the concept of something that is explicitly referred to as a penis but looks nothing one? Like that blue guy in the pilot. If a character had said "hello my name is Basil Exposition, and i can confirm that that head is actually his penis and that is cum coming out of it", would censors allow it?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

In Babylon 5 you saw Londo's penis, which he used to cheat at cards.

The one scene I remember clearly from my older brother watching that show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that was a funny way for the Humans and Centauri to find out they weren't as similar as first appeared.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That makes me wonder... how do US censors work around the concept of something that is explicitly referred to as a penis but looks nothing one? Like that blue guy in the pilot. If a character had said "hello my name is Basil Exposition, and i can confirm that that head is actually his penis and that is cum coming out of it", would censors allow it?

Censors like to pretend they have an objective formula for this sort of thing but it generally comes down to their whims and personal feelings on what's gross or over the line. Also look into their attempts at "objective" criteria it's hilariously outdated and weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/obscene-indecent-and-profane-broadcasts

This about sums it up. There aren't hard and fast (phrasing!) rules. Enforcement is completely subjective on broadcast networks so internal standards and practices have to play it conservative unless they want to engage in a fight.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I thought the blue guy was secreting a lubricant/stimulant juice and was going down on Palicki and on the rewatch have no idea how I assumed that.

In my memory it was certain like there'd been a whole gag on the specifics or something.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I assumed inking. Like squids.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

in any case, talk about blue balls, am I right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Accretionist posted:

I assumed inking. Like squids.

That's the funny option, so I'm going with that too. Although I would have allowed a blue balls joke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I watched Hellboy 2 again last night, and I always forget it's Seth doing Johann Krause's voice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The_Doctor posted:

I watched Hellboy 2 again last night, and I always forget it's Seth doing Johann Krause's voice.

It always thows me because it sounds exactly like Dee Bradley Baker doing Klaus on American Dad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

God, I remember all the controversy around that (Del Toro replaced the original voice actor with Seth). Fans lost their poo poo so much that Del Toro had to put out a statement (Fans thought Seth had somehow forced himself into the project, against Del Toro's wishes)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't they also replaced Abe Sapien with Niles Crane? Or was that the other way around?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Didn't they also replaced Abe Sapien with Niles Crane? Or was that the other way around?

That was the first film. Doug Jones was doing the body and voice on set, but then the studio decided they wanted a name as Abe so they got David Hyde Pierce to revoice him. For Hellboy 2, they just let Doug do the voice on his own, which sounds a lot like Hyde Pierce anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel dumb I just realized the ship is named for Orville Wright

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Me, too. poo poo, I thought they were just going for a midwest flair.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
so is this better than discovery

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Discovery hasn't aired yet

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
checkmate CBS

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

That was the first film. Doug Jones was doing the body and voice on set, but then the studio decided they wanted a name as Abe so they got David Hyde Pierce to revoice him. For Hellboy 2, they just let Doug do the voice on his own, which sounds a lot like Hyde Pierce anyway.

And didn't Hyde Pierce refuse on screen credit anyway, so not to take anything away from Jones' performance?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Seth has done two Reddit AMAs today, the second off his own bat because the first was such a disaster. Apparently the PR company only wanted him answering questions about The Orville.

The second one is here.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

From the AMA:

Well, after the audience response, we have a good shot at sticking around.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Look on the desk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wish he wouldn't have cast himself as the star. It would be like Roddenberry casting himself-- get a real actor in there jeez. There is something about his dopey face that just brings down my enjoyment for this show.

Also, the lighting was terrible-- like TNG S1 lighting bad. It made the whole thing look real cheap. This somehow extended to the special effects too-- everything just looked really cheap. Oh well.

The real problem that I had with this pilot was ugh having his ex beg him for forgiveness? What the gently caress? It sounds like McFarlane had a bad break up and was writing this to get back at his ex or something. It was really bad writing.

This was probably still more enjoyable than Discovery will be though.