Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Considering Trump called Obama a racist and invited a dude who advocated killing both Obama and Hillary to the WH this is pretty rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/desusandmero/status/908164669738590208

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

oof

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/908441860191944706

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Looooool

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Double oof. Good on Michael Smith and the two other hosts ESPN employs for saying gently caress off though:

quote:

ESPN originally tried to keep Hill off the air on Wednesday evening, but Smith refused to do the show without her, the sources said. Both sources also said that producers reached out to two other black ESPN hosts, Michael Eaves and Elle Duncan, to ask them to serve as fill-ins for the show — but Eaves and Duncan did not agree to take the place of Hill and Smith, either.

Faced with the possibility of having to replace Hill and Smith with white co-hosts, the sources said, ESPN then called Hill and asked her to come back on her show.

ESPN refutes this account

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hahahahaha jesus christ

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Excited for all the "MSESPN would rather let OUR PRESIDENT be DISRESPECTED than put a white man on the air, Tucker!!!!" takes from the all the fox sports trash people

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Sage would have done it

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Jackie D posted:

Sage would have done it

"The NEW SportsCenter at 6 with Sage Steele and Stacey Dash. They're black too."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jesus, ESPN

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/908651641943003136

we've reached the point of no return :negative:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Stick To Sports is a lovely retort the vast majority of the time but this is the case for it. The TV president has picked a fight with your network and now people will you pick a side in the culture war.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Stick to Sports is generally Stick to sports unless it's something I agree with.

No one told JJ. Watt to stick to sports when he raised money for Hurricane relief(not saying it's a bad thing)

No one tells the NFL to stick to sports when they make comical amounts of money from the Breast Cancer "awareness" bullshit.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Yea it's basically a form of respectability politics that tries to restrict political speech on topics that don't confirm existing power structures. The NFL is obsessed with integrating the military and law enforcement into their sport. It's political but Cowherd/fatboy Whitlock aren't out complaining about it because it's just assumed that these organizations are just and apolitical.

E: when sports media decide to "stick to sports" they are admitting to being complicit in whatever issue they are ignoring. They're normalizing it so people can go about their day and not worry about how their consumption of sports/opinions on sport related issues may connect to broader political issues.

BWV fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 15, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

Stick to Sports is generally Stick to sports unless it's something I agree with.

No one told JJ. Watt to stick to sports when he raised money for Hurricane relief(not saying it's a bad thing)

No one tells the NFL to stick to sports when they make comical amounts of money from the Breast Cancer "awareness" bullshit.

I meant with sports media.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cash Monet posted:

I meant with sports media.

Since when is bigotry a "political issue".

Oh right, old people being called out on their poo poo and then getting pissy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

Stick To Sports is a lovely retort the vast majority of the time but this is the case for it. The TV president has picked a fight with your network and now people will you pick a side in the culture war.

It's never a good case to not stand up against the relatively rare actually literal infringements of the first amendment.(a president putting pressure on a company to fire someone for their speech is p much the exact definition)

gently caress being cowardly. You want to be cool, and rebrand all your shows to be more "urban" get more minorities watching ESPN, but when those people talk about what they see, and their problems, you simply try and bus toss them, at the president's whim, and then just say oh we'll find another negro to replace you.

ESPN can gently caress off.

Shout out to the other Black people at Bristol who were all going to quit before allowing ESPN to just replace Jemelle and Michael

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/908783766302314497

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So...this just happened
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/908780976498671617

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

"Stick to sports" = white people getting slightly uncomfortable about something even mildly controversial

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/908793780727361537

and

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/908802975040188416

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cash Monet posted:

She's an individual citizen. She didn't make any of these statements during ESPN airtime. She's entitled to her beliefs and the ability to express them.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I can't stop laughing at this

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Bill Barber posted:

She's an individual citizen. She didn't make any of these statements during ESPN airtime. She's entitled to her beliefs and the ability to express them.

She (and probably all of us that work for any large company) had a social media clause in her employment contract that restricts what she can say on social media to avoid situations like this.

That said, it's outrageous that the White House Press Secretary would advocate for the firing of someone just because they criticized the President.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
B double O B S

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

My point is that I get why a broadcaster would want to "stick to sports".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Max Kellerman goes in depth on the origins of systemic racism.
https://twitter.com/ShadowLeagueTSL/status/908721297215119360

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Max Kellerman goes in depth on the origins of systemic racism.
https://twitter.com/ShadowLeagueTSL/status/908721297215119360

:drat:

Preach, Max!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Adun posted:

She (and probably all of us that work for any large company) had a social media clause in her employment contract that restricts what she can say on social media to avoid situations like this.

ESPN has these and she didn't violate them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's horrific

Espn is blatantly political

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Reminder

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A journalistic organization that ran this segment for years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JUAYHRK3k&t=17s

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I am going to revel SO MUCH in Clay Travis' inevitable Marriotti-esque fall from grace

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

IMB posted:

I am going to revel SO MUCH in Clay Travis' inevitable Marriotti-esque fall from grace

It's going to be fun filled, and lice filled

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The "stick to sports" stuff is weird because it's saying that only people in certain professions should be allowed to state their political opinions. Like the person saying it on Twitter is a plumber or something and has 10,000 tweets on politics on their feed.

IMB posted:

Fall from what? He's incredibly small time and I don't understand why people keep giving him attention for this poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So...am I supposed to be shocked at this? After all, this is Clay Travis and he does work for Barstool Sports. If CNN actually thought they were going to get serious discussion out of loving Clay Travis, maybe they're the ones who deserve the most poo poo in this situation.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

So...am I supposed to be shocked at this? After all, this is Clay Travis and he does work for Barstool Sports. If CNN actually thought they were going to get serious discussion out of loving Clay Travis, maybe they're the ones who deserve the most poo poo in this situation.

My main takeaway is that Brooke Baldwin needs to find a new network, just over a month ago they brought on a Sons of Confederate Veterans dude who mansplained her over and over and said Lincoln was basically Hitler, which she also had to cut off.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

deep down inside i think they didn't really want to fire jeffrey lord

jeff zucker must be loving this attention

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whoever was in the NBC truck that loaded up Roundball Rock quickly for the replay of Freeman's TD and celebration last night needs an immediate raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

:yeah: