Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

but that part is good. what does latin mean to cultures with no connection to rome? it seems like an imposition, especially since translating from latin to indigenous languages usually requires an english translation in between

Then the indigenous people should send a monk on a journey to the west to bring back the original scriptures, possibly engaging in action packed episodic adventures on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
christianity's journey into most parts of africa and asia are... not quite as ideal as buddhism's entry into china. that's... also a major reason why the vernacular was seen as an important move.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Yes, I too would describe the systematic massacre and suppression of christians and missionaries in China, Korea and Japan over the last few hundred years as "less than ideal" though I don't think I would suggest that these have much to do with the use of vernacular liturgy.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
look up the chinese rites controversy. also the japanese martyrs were partially in response to the centuries long practice of bashing the indigenous with the bible and then shooting them with the gun. the expulsion of missionaries was part of an active attempt to subvert foreign influence in japan, and considering what happened elsewhere in the 17th century it's hard to not understand where that came from. the murder of japanese christians is a tragedy but i would argue pointing to it when i am clearly referencing colonialism is a bit tonedeaf

then again so's saying "tokugawa did nothing wrong" so congrats we're both assholes

tho i would once again emphasize that the catholic church was not at all blameless in what happened to chinese christians centuries ago.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

but that part is good.

no

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
man if you just want a perfectly-accessible completely demythologized totally inclusive in-no-way-exalted rite why not just become a unitarian idgi

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chernobyl kinsman posted:

man if you just want a perfectly-accessible completely demythologized totally inclusive in-no-way-exalted rite why not just become a unitarian idgi

i'm buddhist these days actually

also you know latin used to be, like, the lingua franca, right?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

so congrats we're both assholes

Wisdom

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
alright rather than these snarky fly by posts that everyone hates, i'm going to explain why i think the vulgar mass is, in fact, good

it has to do with the fact that translation, by necessity, breeds dialogue. it breeds dialogue with the church in rome with the local communities who often have little to no representation in what the holy see does. how long were bishops in africa, latin america, and asia white europeans? how long have indigenous people been told their words and symbols for god are wrong and to pray instead in a language that has absolutely no meaning for them? you can talk about "demystifying the liturgy" all you want, but which is more mystic; a liturgy that doesn't invite the indigenous faithful to pray in a way that demands they understand what their culture has within it that can be seen in christ, or a liturgy that regurgitates the dead language of dead colonizers? the fact is for centuries christianity demanded that indigenous people let go of whatever their faith traditions had, whatever the cultures considered to be sacred, and instead demanded that they give to rome. whether it was ancestral veneration in china, dance in africa, or their very languages in america, very rarely did the catholic church actually look to different cultures and ask what they can add to the church, instead demanding uniformity in prayer, theology, and culture. where muslims built mosques in styles native to the countries they were in, including a mosque in china that looks exactly like the temples surrounding it (a mosque i've been to and i will say is AMAZING) christians instead built cathedrals without every asking WHY they thought churches had to look like that. the fact that the second vatican council has instead encouraged indigenous people throughout the world to do the hard work of inculturation, of looking to their own cultures to see what is sacred and what is applicable to art, architecture, and yes, liturgy, is something that should be praised and seen as a defiant example of christ overcoming imperialism.

did the second vatican council lead to stale american masses with guitars and poorly translated prayers? yes. but it also led to decades of liturgical, architectural, artisitc, and theological dialogue that has continued unabated, and if guitar masses are the price to pay for giving african americans the ability to sing slave spirituals during mass instead of forcing them to sing gregorian chant, then i think it's a price that was well worth paying and one that people should be willing to pay

besides, you can do the latin mass now! you don't need permission to do it! any priest can do it now! no one took it away from you (well, okay, they did, but they gave it back)! why take this away?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

you joke but recognizing we suck is part of not only calvinist spirituality i assume but also jodo shinshu

i deserve to be reborn in hell and it's only because of amida that i'm not going to be

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

i'm buddhist these days actually

also you know latin used to be, like, the lingua franca, right?

uh sure but for the vast majority of congregants over the millennia of the latin mass' use would still not have been able to understand it, and that was sort of the point

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

uh sure but for the vast majority of congregants over the millennia of the latin mass' use would still not have been able to understand it, and that was sort of the point

you can think that if you want but that's not historically why it happened that way

i'd explain why instead of being snarky but it's been i think five years since i took a liturgical theology class and BOY do i not remember anything about it other than liturgical studies was full of garbage scholarship for decades and based off of faulty assumptions about the applicability of jewish liturgical scholarship and biblical scholarship to our understanding of how the early christians worshipped

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

you can think that if you want but that's not historically why it happened that way

It's of course not how it started but it fairly quickly (and certainly by the Middle Ages) became one of the main reasons it was not altered

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I rather think it would have been nice for the average priest to be able to understand it though, considering how little was apparently understood by most for that "Millenia". I think the most common complaint I remember from some of my Bishop correspondence during the medieval period was "For fucks sake try and learn what the words mean, your just making sounds at this point!"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

i deserve to be reborn in hell and it's only because of amida that i'm not going to be

I'm gonna be checking out Senso-ji and some other temples while I'm in Japan for a bit next month. Cool if I take the opportunity to send you some non-denominational wishes for good vibes and positive energy?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

P-Mack posted:

I'm gonna be checking out Senso-ji and some other temples while I'm in Japan for a bit next month. Cool if I take the opportunity to send you some non-denominational wishes for good vibes and positive energy?

sure, that's cool. i really need to get a job soon so i can use all the non-denominational help i can get lmao

It's of course not how it started but it fairly quickly (and certainly by the Middle Ages) became one of the main reasons it was not altered
is a post facto justification really that much more important than inculturation?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

is a post facto justification really that much more important than inculturation?

that plus a couple millennia of tradition, yeah

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

you joke but recognizing we suck is part of not only calvinist spirituality i assume but also jodo shinshu

No joke. Actual wisdom. can't post much, at work.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
gotta ask if you've actually studied early christian liturgical rituals because dudes were having wineless eucharists and even eucharists with water. dudes were wet and wild with rubrics and poo poo. that's part of tradition too my dawg

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i have yeah and if they'd continued doing those things for the next 1900 years i would defend them as tradition too. they didn't, though, so it's not a very good comparison

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah but now we're doing the vulgar thing so that's part of tradition too

like i get it catholicism is like Tradition and Scripture but i guess i disagree that latin mass is Tradition it just seems like tradition to me

then again i still think countries that don't harvest wheat should be able to use bread from their own regions instead of importing wheat at high prices to make communion wafers and this was a position i held while ostensibly catholic so my position on "hey this is dumb just cause people did it like this for centuries don't mean it has to be like that" is pretty clear

also my whole position on gay marriage, womenpriests, and gender transition. and gender roles. oh also my love of liberation theology and asian theology but those have always been grey areas at worst

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So your defence is literally "well we have always done it this way!"

That, that's the worst arguement for something I have ever heard in my life. I mean sure "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but come on.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

yeah but now we're doing the vulgar thing so that's part of tradition too

lol come on man that's not even worth responding to and you know it

quote:

like i get it catholicism is like Tradition and Scripture but i guess i disagree that latin mass is Tradition it just seems like tradition to me

i honestly dont understand that at all. i know i'm a broken record but it's the language in which the mass was done from 190 until the 60s

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i value indigenous religious experience and culture more than i value historical accident

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

That, that's the worst arguement for something I have ever heard in my life. I mean sure "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but come on.

yeah i think tradition is an important part of catholicism, crazy. well i mean that plus its universality plus it's a strong point of spiritual contact for two thousand years' worth of ordinary christians and saints plus i think it inspires vastly more reverence plus i think it's much more beautiful plus it more effectively marks out the mass as being a sacred event isolated from the normal flow of time

but we can be reductive about it too

Senju Kannon posted:

i value indigenous religious experience and culture more than i value historical accident

ok

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

"We've always done it this way so why change" is apparently one of the fundamental tenets of Orthodoxy, though my only real exposure to Orthodoxy is talking to HEY GAIL (and going to her church a few times) plus this thread.

Pews? Instrumental music?!? What is this modernist heresy.

edit:

yeah i think tradition is an important part of catholicism, crazy. well i mean that plus its universality plus it's a strong point of spiritual contact for two thousand years' worth of ordinary christians and saints plus i think it inspires vastly more reverence plus i think it's much more beautiful plus it more effectively marks out the mass as being a sacred event isolated from the normal flow of time

yeah this seems to basically be how the Orthodox feel about Divine Liturgy, too

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 15, 2017

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

The correct answer is that Latin language enables a less mediated entry into the Latin tradition of the church (which was reified in Vatican II) and everyone should learn Latin and understand liturgy that way, but, barring that, vernacular is good for most of the liturgy (keep those kyries), and the Latin Mass should be offered where it is desired. If parishioners don't understand what's going on they can't contemplate the mystery of the Eucharistic celebration and the whole thing just becomes so much hocus pocus.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
as someone who spent years learning latin no one should learn latin

learn something marginally more useful, like underwater basket weaving

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
nah Latin rules man, it's fun to learn and beautiful to read. if you think it's bad you should try welsh

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
one of the local radio stations broadcasts Lakota drumsongs and then Hail Marys at noon in Lakota, it's p neat

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

but we can be reductive about it too

From what I have read Latin wasn't even spoken by "ordinary Christians" for that long. Hell I don't think it was spoken by educated Christians for that long. Other than if you mean "made sounds with voice" and not "meant and understood". The delenation between the sacred and the secular would also not have been nearly as accute during large stretches of the time period you are talking about. Churches had pigs among the pews, chatting, gossip and couples making out midway through, your idea of it all being a great big sacred quiet space is apparently pulled from the same space that made G.K. Chesterton nostalgic for the medieval period.

I mean I have a source from one of the books "A handbook for Parish priests" written in 1385 describing what you should tell your congregation not to do "He should admonish them that no one should cause a disturbance or a disagreeement or hold discussions or idle and progance conversations in a church or in a graveyard". If you have to forbid something, its kind of a thing that people are doing.

Pellisworth posted:

"We've always done it this way so why change" is apparently one of the fundamental tenets of Orthodoxy, though my only real exposure to Orthodoxy is talking to HEY GAIL (and going to her church a few times) plus this thread.

Personally I have changed, ha, my mind on change. I'd argue that it needs to be nigh on constant. Because, hell, poo poo changes anyway may as well try and get ahead of it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

From what I have read Latin wasn't even spoken by "ordinary Christians" for that long. Hell I don't think it was spoken by educated Christians for that long.

Of course not, I even said that. But define spoken, because educated men very definitely knew and used Latin until like the 17th century, when it was replaced by French as the lingua franca (& of course it was only recently that the classical education died)

quote:

The delenation between the sacred and the secular would also not have been nearly as accute during large stretches of the time period you are talking about.

I know, I'm a medievalist

quote:

I mean I have a source from one of the books "A handbook for Parish priests" written in 1385 describing what you should tell your congregation not to do "He should admonish them that no one should cause a disturbance or a disagreeement or hold discussions or idle and progance conversations in a church or in a graveyard". If you have to forbid something, its kind of a thing that people are doing

I'm not really seeing your point, here?

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 15, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Welp, off to conquer Münster, I guess.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Fr. Michael Oleksa's Orthodox Alaska convinced me both that (1) translating into local languages is an essential missionary tool (the Russians translated as much as they could into Native Alaskan languages, and invented alphabets to do it), and (2) churches should also use and teach the original languages (by the time the Russians left, Native Alaskans tended to be bi- or tri-lingual). At the very least, I'm a lot more okay with Greek parishes using Greek than I was before.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Of course not, I even said that. And define spoken, because educated men very definitely knew and used Latin until like the 17th century, when it was replaced by French as the lingua franca

Educated men used a version of Latin if I remember that is rather different from, y'know, the one the early Christians used. And I define, spoken, to mean "could speak and understand" and even most priests couldn't do that in whacking great portions of the medieval period in Europe.

What you said was "well i mean that plus its universality plus it's a strong point of spiritual contact for two thousand years' worth of ordinary christians" to which I believe I am allowed to go "Not really". Because of the points I pointed out.

The point I am attempting to make is "The thing you are reaching for is not true". Its not an unbroken chain back to the start of Christianity, it isn't a connective across millenia. It is, at best, something that a series of people thought were those things. At worst? It is, as Senju puts it, an attempt to paint over native peoples understanding of their faith with the idea of the chain.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 15, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

Educated men used a version of Latin if I remember that is rather different from, y'know, the one the early Christians used. And I define, spoken, to mean "could speak and understand" and even most priests couldn't do that in whacking great portions of the medieval period in Europe.

medieval latin is not that different from classical latin

and i do not agree that 'most' priests couldn't understand latin in at least the high and late middle ages

quote:

What you said was "well i mean that plus its universality plus it's a strong point of spiritual contact for two thousand years' worth of ordinary christians" to which I believe I am allowed to go "Not really". Because of the points I pointed out.

you're allowed to do whatever you want but i don't really see how what you're saying in any way contradicts that statement. yes, there were pigs in church sometimes. but two thousand years' worth of christians, including just about every saint you've ever heard of, heard the mass sung in latin, and pigs don't change that. that's what i meant about a point of contact

quote:

Its not an unbroken chain back to the start of Christianity

not a perfect one no but it's a drat sight better than english, lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

docbeard posted:

Welp, off to conquer Münster, I guess.

That's your answer to everything!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

medieval latin is not that different from classical latin

and i do not agree that 'most' priests couldn't understand latin in at least the high and late middle ages

So it's not even a straight Millenia now? Its become "maybe, about five hundred years". You don't get to claim it goes on for Millenia when it clearly hasn't. I can accept hyperbole (hells I really indulge in it) but it's not a Millenia long connection, its a disjointed joining of lots of different pieces that can, if you squint, make a whole. Thats fine that you don't agree about 'most', I will try and find a source for my claims but it seems as if a good percentage just don't really care to learn Latin during any age.

you're allowed to do whatever you want but i don't really see how what you're saying in any way contradicts that statement. yes, there were pigs in church sometimes. but two thousand years' worth of christians, including just about every saint you've ever heard of, heard the mass sung in latin, and pigs don't change that. that's what i meant about a point of contact

So your saying that it matters not if the person understood what was being said, merely the sound matters? Perhaps if I changed the words and said it to a smiliar tone it would have the same meaning and connection? If it is as a point of connection then it is still not for millenia. It is for a reasonably shorter period by the looks of it considering that the sounds probably changed somewhat dependent on where you were or if the priest had a stammer.

not a perfect one no but it's a drat sight better than english, lol

I would not wish English to be, English is a bastard language and long may it remain so. I am simply saying that your idea is one that is based more on your own view of aesthetics than any real practical view.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

So it's not even a straight Millenia now? Its become "maybe, about five hundred years". You don't get to claim it goes on for Millenia when it clearly hasn't. I can accept hyperbole (hells I really indulge in it) but it's not a Millenia long connection, its a disjointed joining of lots of different pieces that can, if you squint, make a whole. Thats fine that you don't agree about 'most', I will try and find a source for my claims but it seems as if a good percentage just don't really care to learn Latin during any age.

what are you talking about dude. are you arguing that the mass wasn't performed for millennia in latin? or are you arguing that most priests couldn't speak latin, which i don't believe to be true and furthermore don't really consider relevant to my argument?

also it's spelled millennia, millennium in the singular, and it's not capitalised. i wouldn't be a dick about this except that we've been using this word a lot and it's starting to grate on me

quote:

So your saying that it matters not if the person understood what was being said, merely the sound matters? Perhaps if I changed the words and said it to a smiliar tone it would have the same meaning and connection?

i find it really hard to believe that you're not either being willfully dense or just disingenuous, here

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

what are you talking about dude. are you arguing that the mass wasn't performed for millennia in latin? or are you arguing that most priests couldn't speak latin, which i don't believe to be true and furthermore don't really consider relevant to my argument?

also it's spelled millennia, millennium, in the singular and it's not capitalised. i wouldn't be a dick about this except that you weirdly (wrongly) tried to correct my spelling of it a few posts back

I'm arguing that it wasn't performed in the same latin, across two thousand years, that it was often not transmitted to ordinary people with any understanding of the words being said and that it should not be held up as a permanent link to the past because of that.

Sorry about the misspelling what I meant to point out was focussed on this post:

that plus a couple millennia of tradition, yeah

I was trying to demonstrate that this claim quoted above is incorrect due to the fact that the classical and medieval latin possess differences. If I am being too focussed on details I do apologise.

i find it really hard to believe that you're not either being willfully dense or just disingenuous, here

Neither I hope, I am trying to argue something though.

I will ask it as a question "What is more important, the sound Latin makes during mass or the meaning of the words said". Because if its the later shouldn't it be in the local language?

I am trying to be straightforward here, am I saying stuff wrong?

• Locked thread