Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: ^ yeah, I tried doing that but I need to get better at 'giving up' on games. I'd be about to delete something, then think "wait, I remember having fun with this game" and leaving it there but not actually firing it up to get to that "oh right, this is why I stopped" point.

Yeah you've got to actually play it again to make that decision, and it's not like I'm consciously doing it all the time, but there have been plenty of times where I've not been actively playing anything and just decide to treat culling the library as it's own activity. And if you're not getting to an obvious "gently caress this" point in the game to just stop right now and find another game to apply the approach to, to try to get the number of games removed higher. Usually those are the games I'll play again and giving yourself a taste of it by replaying is a good way to get you interested again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Do you guys ever go "Man, I really want to play some videogames!" go to your pc/console, sit down, look at your backlog, see games you really want to play but then just... don't? And then end up booting up something you've played zillions of hours of?

I'm not sure how to explain it, it's like if properly playing a game was too 'involved', and I end up playing stuff which is more... brainless? Like I can just shut my brain and go through the motions of playing a game.

How do you get out of that rut?

Definitely an after work thing for me. I usually just watch stupid videos or play chill games until my brain gets some rest.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My problem is the complete opposite and shiny new thing distracts me from games I'm already into. Then there's the other problem of getting bored in the middle of a long single player game, picking up something else, then feeling compelled to just restart long single player game because you don't want to pick up the story in the middle. loving poo poo always happens with persona 4 and 5 and I still haven't beaten either despite probably 100+ hours of combined play time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nachos posted:

My problem is the complete opposite and shiny new thing distracts me from games I'm already into. Then there's the other problem of getting bored in the middle of a long single player game, picking up something else, then feeling compelled to just restart long single player game because you don't want to pick up the story in the middle. loving poo poo always happens with persona 4 and 5 and I still haven't beaten either despite probably 100+ hours of combined play time.

See in cases like this, and this may not be true for you, when stuff like that keeps happening I've ended up coming to the conclusion that I got my fun from those titles, my tastes may have changed, and I'm perfectly happy with just dropping them and assuming I don't actually care about them anymore.

It's what happened to me with the SMT and Persona games, I like those but never enough to finish or even mostly play any of them, which led me to just not caring about them. I've just been wantonly looking through spoiler bars every time Persona 5 comes up and it hasn't managed to bother or interest me yet.

And if you change your mind later it's not like these games are hard to get back anymore.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Mr E posted:

It's very good and Velvet's outfit is very bad.

I thought it was pretty funny in the prison break that she stops to change out of tattered rags into other tattered rags

I'm like 30 hours in. It's been fun, and I want to see where it's going, but it's also hitting that point where I want to just kind of hurry it up already.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FirstAidKite posted:

To be frank, this can be a depression thing as well.

Like, yeah, not everything is depression, but I know my depression manifests in, among other things, complete apathy. It makes it hard to actually do anything because I'm left just not really caring and feeling too drained emotionally and physically all of the time to be bothered to play anything outside of the most simplistic, mindless stuff that'll help me get to sleep.

I'll be honest, this may have hit closer to home that I'd like to admit. :smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sorry

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Don't be. It's an insidious, quiet thing, and putting a name on it instead of trying to think you're somehow 'above' it actually helps.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nighttime still feels good and dangerous and rewarding but daytime is a boring cakewalk at this point.

You can always use beds to sleep until nightfall. I don't remember if there's anything at all that's only available during the day.

If you haven't reached Old Town yet, things should pick up nicely then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sefal posted:

I have experienced this multiple times. I think the root of it is, After work. I'm just too tired too start up a new game and learn it all over, really pay attention. If I pop up something quick and something I already know. its much easier to just play a few rocket league matches. binding of isaac, overwatch.

What helps me, is just picking 1 game. Sticking it in, and just sitting through it for atleast 2 hours before it clicks.

This is me right now. I enjoy playing grindy or competitive games that are quick. Right now it's Injustice 2 and Star Wars the Old Republic. If I'm feeling a little bit of extra effort then Rainbow Six Siege. Once Forza Motorsport 7 comes out though that will be the only thing I am going to play.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I really like Uncharted Lost Legacy so far but how am I missing all those relics, where are they, holy poo poo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The thing that really gets me when trying to start new games is that, in many major releases, you gotta dedicate at least a couple of hours just to get to the actual game. There are long intro cutscenes, forced tutorials, easy missions to get you acclimatted, unlocking basic abilities, etc.

Sometimes I just give up and stop playing anything for some days.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mr E posted:

It's very good and Velvet's outfit is very bad.

Thankfully someone on the dev team agrees and you can change to her good prologue outfit immediately after getting the underboob corset

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Got back from work, went for a run, did the housework, cooked dinner and now I've sat down to a 7gig patch just to play some golf

pro tip, pop your disc in before your mundane chores

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guess what games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5B8Kixf2kM

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A beautiful squid.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

really excited for Doom on the Switch

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Phantasium posted:

A beautiful squid.

She's a kitten, not a squitten.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

really excited for Doom on the Switch

I wonder if they could add gyro aiming or if that would even help anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

She's a kitten, not a squitten.

You're a kit you're a squit you're a kit you're a squit

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In the future they'll be squibbons

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Phantasium posted:

In the future they'll be squibbons

Are you a squid or a ribbon

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I really like Uncharted Lost Legacy so far but how am I missing all those relics, where are they, holy poo poo.

pretty early in the game, if you do a giant optional side quest, you get an item that drastically helps you find treasures.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people ordered this for $200 and Capcom downgraded every aspect of it

https://twitter.com/ScottVengeance/status/908438965790892035

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

dont you mean the chaos emeralds

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

people ordered this for $200 and Capcom downgraded every aspect of it

https://twitter.com/ScottVengeance/status/908438965790892035

Capcom has been so loving shameless for years now. Tekken 7 as not a FGC person felt like a breath of fresh air, it was so nice to be able to get into a fighting game again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best things capcom has been doing in the past few years is letting hideaki itsuno make video games, releasing resident evil 7 and rereleasing all their older games that people actually like

and i guess monster hunter worlds but it kind of sucks that they're not going to release xx in english

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ace Attorney is still good

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My Samus Returns copy came early. I think the game plays a little smoother than In Training was giving it credit for but the lack of customizable control options is weird and bad. I can't say I like some of the remixed music either.

Game itself seems fine though.

Help Im Alive posted:

Ace Attorney is still good
This.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cat update: she drinks by putting her paw into the water and then licking it off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Unless it's a game like Star Citizen who are fleecing people for hundreds of millions of dollars, then yeah you kind of have a right to feel owed X when they said the game would have X.

Oh yeah, buuuuut they're pre-selling ships for $2,000. If a game that isn't even out yet sells you something for $2,000 then they owe you a loving lot. (And you're an idiot) but I already said that it was based on how much you spent.

If Star Citizen was $5 then I'd say you shouldn't complain even if it takes 20 years. But it doesn't, instead they try to milk fans for all the money they're worth, so... yeah. No problem there. It sucks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

My Samus Returns copy came early. I think the game plays a little smoother than In Training was giving it credit for but the lack of customizable control options is weird and bad. I can't say I like some of the remixed music either.

Game itself seems fine though.
This.

Ive warmed up to it the more I play but I just wish it had a option for D-pad controls. The later bosses are a lot of fun and I bet a low% run in this game would be really drat hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Do you guys ever go "Man, I really want to play some videogames!" go to your pc/console, sit down, look at your backlog, see games you really want to play but then just... don't? And then end up booting up something you've played zillions of hours of?

I'm not sure how to explain it, it's like if properly playing a game was too 'involved', and I end up playing stuff which is more... brainless? Like I can just shut my brain and go through the motions of playing a game.

How do you get out of that rut?

Its hard for me to get into games sometimes, yeah.

How do you get out of that rut: Buy a new exciting game, play a co-op game with a buddy

I find having friends around makes me much more willing to get into something. Sometimes by myself after work I just go "ehhhh I could...." and then don't. But whatever.

FirstAidKite posted:

To be frank, this can be a depression thing as well.

Like, yeah, not everything is depression, but I know my depression manifests in, among other things, complete apathy. It makes it hard to actually do anything because I'm left just not really caring and feeling too drained emotionally and physically all of the time to be bothered to play anything outside of the most simplistic, mindless stuff that'll help me get to sleep.

Same. Also hungry and tired but no appetite. Just wanna lay in bed and feel bad.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lizard Wizard posted:

Cat update: she drinks by putting her paw into the water and then licking it off.
This water has hair in it. Oh well.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://twitter.com/SonicDahMario/status/908429804059463680

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Smash players are insane https://kotaku.com/for-years-a-smash-bros-impostor-allegedly-duped-frien-1816169320

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

Ive warmed up to it the more I play but I just wish it had a option for D-pad controls. The later bosses are a lot of fun and I bet a low% run in this game would be really drat hard.
Yeah there's been a few times I've instinctively hit the D-pad myself. It's a bit annoying.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smash is the cargo cult of fighting games and this is what happens when you don't instantly squash them

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Lizard Wizard posted:

this video link doesn't seem to be working. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Smash players smell like poo poo, why would you want to live with them.

• Locked thread