Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ff is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ffxiv is pretty good as far as mmos go, but that is an extremely low bar

ufarn
May 30, 2009
the ff games stopped being good at 8, but they continue have one of the highest concentrations of talent in the industry

ffxv was a mess, but it had some amazing undeniably moments and music no other games have come close to

i don't think they're weeby games, just your typical jrpgs that use their japanese-ness to not bother with the plot and consistent writing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
14 is pretty good because a big chunk of it is just final fantasy nostalgia with emphasis on 3, 5, and 6 so far.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Plank Walker posted:

when your mouth starts to drool while you spit biotruths

that's d'amore

when your phd is a lie and the goog says bye-bye

that's damore

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ufarn posted:

the ff games stopped being good at 8, but they continue have one of the highest concentrations of talent in the industry

ffxv was a mess, but it had some amazing undeniably moments and music no other games have come close to

i don't think they're weeby games, just your typical jrpgs that use their japanese-ness to not bother with the plot and consistent writing

9 is the best and cutest and 8 is the worst and emoest

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nobody liked X?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfiTebewnc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cis autodrag posted:

9 is the best and cutest and 8 is the worst and emoest

6 is the best followed by fft

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The best final fantasy is Kyle's Quest for PalmOS

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

6 is the best followed by fft
this is the correct opinion

jumping into the trap pit

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
no anime in the pos

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Mac OS Copland

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

Mac OS Copland

I'd love to have the Platinum look back, it was always better looking than aqua. Copland > A/UX > OS X.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I'd love to have the Platinum look back, it was always better looking than aqua. Copland > A/UX > OS X.

system 6 on an SE/30 is the best an operating system has ever looked or worked and computers have been getting progressively more capable and progressively worse since. it could even support the se/30's full 128mb ram capacity with connectix optima.

the operating system was designed to be usable and decently quick run off a floppy drive. off a hard drive, it boots basically instantly. you do not need more than one bit of color depth to do good work on a computer.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ya I miss system 7 on my mac IIfx, that poo poo flew. always wanted to find some software that actually used the custom asics on it though, never did.

mmm 32-bit clean 40Mhz 68030 :toot:

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 15, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

ya I miss system 7 on my mac IIfx, that poo poo flew. always wanted to find some software that actually used the custom asics on it though, never did.

mmm 32-bit clean 40Mhz 68030 :toot:

i have a quadra 700 in storage with a Daystar Quad 040 accelerator

the accelerator has the optional sub-accelerator daughterboard with DSPs on it to accelerate Photoshop filters and other things

i miss when computers had "accelerators". sure we have GPUs that are the most powerful floating-point coprocessors ever invented but they're boring

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

So I'm playing a video on youtube, opened in its own window in theater mode. I click to shut off the autoplay, which it does. Then you go to another window, come back and the stupid autoplay is back on. They also changed theater mode recently, to where now even the left and right sides of the window, way outside of where the video is, that's all now an active surface and so if you click on it anywhere - like you're trying to switch focus to the window from another - and now you've either started the video playing, or if you misclicked and clicked twice now the stupid thing is full screen. The interface is also now considerably laggier. It's like they're actively taking products that work well and sabotaging them.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/zooko/status/908468128832737280

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i'm other bets

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

yeah, but none of those are the codenames

maybe if you go back more than ten years, i dunno about then

The cat names were code names. 10.0 and 10.1 were cheetah and puma (or the other way around) internally, and then they started using them for marketing with 10.2 jagwire. I expect that continued up through the rest of the cats anyway. They seem to have quit talking about the version numbers entirely around when they hit 10.10 and it would have been confusing to sell to dummies.

Intel also does it with processors.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
windows longhorn

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
my longhorn is actually a microsoft

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The cat names were code names. 10.0 and 10.1 were cheetah and puma (or the other way around) internally, and then they started using them for marketing with 10.2 jagwire. I expect that continued up through the rest of the cats anyway. They seem to have quit talking about the version numbers entirely around when they hit 10.10 and it would have been confusing to sell to dummies.

the actual macosx codenames were wines, from at least 10.4 up to 10.10. the list on wikipedia is mostly accurate, with a few minor mistakes that i'm not going to correct. afaik the cat names weren't chosen until pretty close to wwdc; they certainly weren't widely known. i'm willing to believe that we previously used cat names as codenames and then just made them public on release, and then decided to change for whatever reason

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Intel also does it with processors.

lol if u dont pronounce it jag-u-are

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
jag-wire

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

do the math

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akadajet posted:

yeah, but apple is humorless

nuh uh! remember their "redmond, start your photocopiers :smug:" ads??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The Jag

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nuh uh! remember their "redmond, start your photocopiers :smug:" ads??

remember how apple has spent the past 24+ years pretending they have products worth buying? good joke imo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Microsoft is the only mature business in tech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

Microsoft is the only mature business in tech

*dumb tech blogger voice* but microsoft is the new ibm!!! this is bad somehow!!

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
real talk gently caress everything about microsoft office how is that poo poo twenty-eight percent of their revenue?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GenJoe posted:

real talk gently caress everything about microsoft office how is that poo poo twenty-eight percent of their revenue?
o365 subscriptions come in various varieties

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GenJoe posted:

lol are you some sort of brokebrain apple knockoff office user or open sores knockoff office user

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

fishmech posted:

lol are you some sort of brokebrain apple knockoff office user or open sores knockoff office user

yes, Pages, the world's most advanced word processor, is free for all of humanity to enjoy https://www.icloud.com/#pages

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GenJoe posted:

yes, Pages, the world's most advanced word processor, is free for all of humanity to enjoy https://www.icloud.com/#pages

apple's office products are literally unusable, which is why microsoft office remains the most popular software package for the macintosh for the 29th year straight

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

lol that's like saying the Ford F-150 is america's best selling car because of how functional and utilitarian it is, consumers are garbage and so is public sentiment

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GenJoe posted:

lol that's like saying the Ford F-150 is america's best selling car because of how functional and utilitarian it is, consumers are garbage and so is public sentiment

says the guy willingly using an office suite worse than libreoffice

also the f150 et al's top selling status is 100% down to its massive purchases for fleet usage. that's why there's like 800,000 of those sold a year, then like 570,000 for the silverado, and 480,000 for the general dodge ram series. actual best selling car's the camry at like 380,000, just like it's been for like 20 years, followed closely by civic and corolla

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 16, 2017

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

i feel nothing but pity and sorrow for those of us who have never had the god's great privilege of creating a presentation in Keynote, the world's most advanced presentation software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the fact that office is so horrible to use is proof of how widely used it is because if it had any competition at all it wouldve had to have been improved at some point after the turn of the century

• Locked thread