Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Joshua and estelle were heavily involved in the crossed games, so then showing up again wouldnt be that much of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

Joshua and estelle were heavily involved in the crossed games, so then showing up again wouldnt be that much of a stretch.

True, but that was before the timeskip. It's not that likely they'd stick around in Crossbell for 2 years straight. I suspect they were already gone by the time Rufus became head honcho there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Estelle is going to get her own giant robot and rule the world.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Every time I think my hype maxed out, it goes higher.
I prefer the happy go luckiness of the first games where I never have to worry about my party layout, but if 3 is really 200 hours long, its not even going to be competition as to what my favorite game ever is.

Btw if youre playing Ys 8 the Item Collection stats are messed up.

Meal and Foods got their labels switched, Solid Medicine is actually fish, Liquid Medicine is actually ingredients, Ingredients are actually solid medicine, Fish is actually Liquid medicine.

So, thanks Nisa, no clue how you managed this.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 15, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Apparantly, Ys VIII had 4 editors over the course of its development.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MythosDragon posted:

Btw if youre playing Ys 8 the Item Collection stats are messed up.

Meal and Foods got their labels switched, Solid Medicine is actually fish, Liquid Medicine is actually ingredients, Ingredients are actually solid medicine, Fish is actually Liquid medicine.

So, thanks Nisa, no clue how you managed this.
:allears:

Erpy posted:

Apparantly, Ys VIII had 4 editors over the course of its development.
Serious question, is this a ridiculous low number?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's a ridiculously high number, actually. You want consistency for your localization, and less people are better at staying consistent.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Prior to release, Persona 5's team said that it had brought on a bunch of editors and translators because the script was just so huge and big and it was gonna be awesome and rad!

Which is sort of like saying "This book is awesome, it was written by so many authors!!"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Contrast this to Trails which has Hatsuu as its sole lead editor across all the games after SC and anything the sidequest and npc editors write has to go through her.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
This is kind of why, whenever people told XSeed to just add more people to the team to speed up progress on SC, Brittany told them that'd just make the whole thing a mess. In order to get coherance, you ideally have one person finetuning the whole thing in order to keep things consistent.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Contrast this to Trails which has Hatsuu as its sole lead editor across all the games after SC and anything the sidequest and npc editors write has to go through her.

There are still multiple people involved with editor-like titles... just it's clear that there is one person who is ultimately in charge.

Anyway, Ys VIII localization: IMHO: not a disaster, but not really great, either. Occasional apparently inconsequential follow ups from other parties in dialogue in particular kinda stick out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's true what they say: too much cooks spoils the solid medicine.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The game has an issue with giving you control for 1 second to move a few feet or examine something before starting up another scene, but at other times it'll give you an hour of plot with no breaks, obviously only at 9PM when you need to stop playing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even the DLC page is wrong, it has the girls picture next to an outfit for Adol. Obviously hers wouldn't be free lol

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Bloodplay it again posted:

I bought Ys I/II+ and Oath from the Humble Store to try and scratch retro RPG itches. The only Ys game I played was a bit of III on the SNES ~22 years ago. I really appreciate the ability to switch between audio types, but I'm having some issues getting Ys I/II to run in a windowed screen. Everything's a little too big and strains my eyes fullscreen at 2560x1440, so I was hoping to get a windowed 1920x1080 going. In the launcher, if I uncheck the fullscreen box, regardless of resolution chosen, the window is the same size (which is a little smaller than 720) . I can manually resize, which stretches everything and makes it look pretty terrible. The only resolution this isn't true for is 2560x1440--when I select this resolution with fullscreen unchecked, the window takes up about 1/4 of my monitor and I can't see the top 1/6 or so of the screen. I checked PCGW and the only notable thing I saw there is to cap the frame rate at 60 fps because the game's incredibly difficult at higher refresh rates. Anyone have any suggestions? A file somewhere I could edit manually?

If you really want fullscreen at 16:9 you're going to need to set it to Chronicles display mode in the configuration tool instead of Complete or Auto. The original game (Eternal/Complete versions) was only made for 4:3, but Chronicles was originally made for PSP and has something closer to 16:9. It'll feel a bit blown up and zoomed in but it may be more to your liking.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Okay, I was fine with the TL till this.

"What about your wounds?"
"This will be the moment of truth indeed."

Obviously the original was the "I must do it anyway!" trope, but jesus it comes across almost entirely as the dude just ignoring that question and moving on.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Look on the bright side, at least NISA will probably never be hired by Falcom again, after how badly they screwed up this contract. Even ignoring the issues in the console release, there was a stipulation to release on console and PC simultaneously and, uh, the less said about the current state of the PC release the better.

In other news, some new interviews on Trails are at least partially leaking. Found these segments earlier.

Some other details:
-With the completion of Cold Steel, the story of the Trails series sits at ~60% done.
-More than 25 party members.
-Around 100 voiced characters
-Mysteries related to the black records will be revealed
-SSS members haven't appeared because the previews haven't really covered the Crossbell sections, they will be in the game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, I've been thinking of playing Cold Steel (I really enjoyed the Sky games) but I keep getting conflicting reports from my friends-either it's a pile of cliche anime garbage or it's a fun character-driven romp. Which one is it? The fact that the first act has one of the most obnoxious anime tropes ever doesn't fill me with confidence,exactly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

So, I've been thinking of playing Cold Steel (I really enjoyed the Sky games) but I keep getting conflicting reports from my friends-either it's a pile of cliche anime garbage or it's a fun character-driven romp. Which one is it? The fact that the first act has one of the most obnoxious anime tropes ever doesn't fill me with confidence,exactly.

The first act introduces the anime cliches of the characters and the rest of the game fleshes them out into actual characters basically. The first act is a pretty lovely introduction because it really is basically "here is the trope this character fills with little in the way of actual personality" and it's very easy to assume that is how it will stay. The characters become a lot better after the introduction.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's also some weird stuff like Machias being kinda sexist that doesn't really come up again. Basically the prologue is kinda awkward with how it dumps everyone on you but the games are good

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

VolticSurge posted:

It's both. Anime is awesome, nerd.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

either it's a pile of cliche anime garbage or it's a fun character-driven romp. Which one is it?

yes

If you do get Cold Steel, try and give it until at least the end of Chapter 2--that's when it clicked for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the characters are great and it plays around with some goofy anime tropes but only in ways that either subvert them or take it in an interesting direction

like the rean falling on alisa thing happens but then alisa forgives him ten minutes later and they just build a relationship based on mutual trust. its not some sick own on anime tropes or anything, it uses a lot of really obvious cliches and stuff, it just expands on them or grows them more outside of just using them. which is what good writing is, taking ideas and expanding on them.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Endorph posted:

like the rean falling on alisa thing happens but then alisa forgives him ten minutes later and they just build a relationship based on mutual trust

Really? Oh THANK GOD. If the rest of the game was her being a bitch to Rean for no reason I'd have just stopped playing. I hate that anime trope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the characters are great and it plays around with some goofy anime tropes but only in ways that either subvert them or take it in an interesting direction

like the rean falling on alisa thing happens but then alisa forgives him ten minutes later and they just build a relationship based on mutual trust. its not some sick own on anime tropes or anything, it uses a lot of really obvious cliches and stuff, it just expands on them or grows them more outside of just using them. which is what good writing is, taking ideas and expanding on them.

Eh, it takes longer than ten minutes and I think Alisa gets the worst introduction of all the characters between that and her Secret!!! which are the least interesting things about the character and really frontloaded. But she also improves relatively quickly

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

Really? Oh THANK GOD. If the rest of the game was her being a bitch to Rean for no reason I'd have just stopped playing. I hate that anime trope.

No, she apologizes to Rean after about two weeks in-game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'ten minutes' is more like '30 minutes real time' i guess? but in an 80 hour game she forgives him for it right before the first actual thing they have to do together because she knows being weird about it would be awkward for them both, and she's still a little awkward around him during the trip but she doesnt really hold a grudge or rag on him for it and it's totally forgotten by like 6 hours into the game outside of one callback gag that's jsut 'hey remember when' 'lets not remember when' 'okei'. it definitely isn't something that gets brought up constantly or is dragged out, its just a minor character beat that shows them getting off on a weird foot and she reacts to it in a pretty normal way, being kinda rude to him for a bit then apologizing

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

Oh, no, she apologizes to Rean after about two weeks in-game.

Realtalk, I love how Alisa deals with her comic overreaction to Rean falling on her. She's genuinely embarrassed because she knows he didn't do it on purpose because she's a fleshed out character. It was a nice surprise and really set the tone for the rest of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alisa's a little ~tsun~ but she's never really rude to rean, she teases him some and gets grumpy when he teases her back but she definitely doesn't toradora him or anything, the worst she ever does is call him a dummy. she's just kind of easily to embarrass/socially awkward and deals with it by being huffy, it's a pretty believable character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Show him a picture of cs2 altina and see if he's okay with it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let's not get crazy here

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sky is more plotty and alot of the characters fall to the side and dont get much sans a villain and the obligatory billions of lines, love them all.

Cold Steels much more focused on fleshing out every character, and Is personally alot more fun because of it. That and the gameplay being faster and having higher synergy with the 3D graphics.

Gaius is best dude and Sara is best girl.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

Cold Steels much more focused on fleshing out every character

That's really an exaggeration, not helped by the bonding format. It can't have any important character background in them. And in the story its mostly about needing the MC to resolve the few character issues or being defined by their relationship with the MC. Thus there are actually very few development on most party relationships that doesn't involve the MC.
The issues becomes far more apparent in CS2, with a lot of the characters becoming almost afterthoughts and it becomes apparent the bloated cast from the start of the series is somewhat too big get dynamic relationships.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Cold Steel does some things differently, but in the end it's still definitely a Trails game through and through. So basically, lots of world building, NPCs with their own mini-plotlines throughout the game (this is one part CS1 REALLY handles well), slow-and-steady pace and characters who develop into believable characters even if their first impression might not be optimal. (remember Agate's introduction in FC?) The battle system flows a lot better though. Oh, and the dub is really, really good.

If you played the Sky games, there's lots of little references to events, characters and lore for you to pick up on.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Randomzx posted:

That's really an exaggeration, not helped by the bonding format. It can't have any important character background in them. And in the story its mostly about needing the MC to resolve the few character issues or being defined by their relationship with the MC. Thus there are actually very few development on most party relationships that doesn't involve the MC.
The issues becomes far more apparent in CS2, with a lot of the characters becoming almost afterthoughts and it becomes apparent the bloated cast from the start of the series is somewhat too big get dynamic relationships.

I don't really agree. The bonding limit is a negative, but the majority of the fleshing out is done in the main scenes and by just talking to everyone at every chance. Plus other than the final events, there is nothing stopping you from seeing all scenes in one playthrough by reloading, so you still get to see all of it, you just don't get it all saved to your file.

It is true that most things are dictated by Rean, but well, that's less an issue with the game and more an unavoidable issue with telling a a story with a single protagonist in general, at least its not the pre-ps2 era where no one ever talked to anyone but the protagonist. I can think of instances of everyone in class 7 interacting with the others, and if you wander around during free time you'll frequently see them hanging out and talking to each other without Rean.

CS2 has the same issue as Sky 2, you have to account for the players party layout and thus have to write vaguely since you cant write dozens of highly different scenes just to accommodate who the player is using. Its the main reason I like the first games best.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the supporting cast in cold steel more than the supporting cast in sky. rean is a helpful guy who contributes to people working through stuff but it's not like he's the absolute center focus of everyone's relationships, he's just a close friend to the rest of the class

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I feel like the characters in Sky stood out on their own more, while the Cold Steel cast shines as a group. I like both pretty much equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

I don't really agree. The bonding limit is a negative, but the majority of the fleshing out is done in the main scenes and by just talking to everyone at every chance. Plus other than the final events, there is nothing stopping you from seeing all scenes in one playthrough by reloading, so you still get to see all of it, you just don't get it all saved to your file.
The issue was about how so few of them involves any more than just the target and Rean in the scene, especially involving other party members (I only remember it happening in the one that involves the chess club). And how little relevance so many of them have.

quote:

It is true that most things are dictated by Rean, but well, that's less an issue with the game and more an unavoidable issue with telling a a story with a single protagonist in general, at least its not the pre-ps2 era where no one ever talked to anyone but the protagonist. I can think of instances of everyone in class 7 interacting with the others, and if you wander around during free time you'll frequently see them hanging out and talking to each other without Rean.
The vast majority of the time when it happens outside of story event, it just them placed next to each other talking about various topics, and you rarely ever see how the party relationship plays out. And even in story events if they are not the focus, they have a high chance of just saying stock phrases especially in the Japanese version.

I guess I'm thinking of stuff like Final Fantasy IX's Active Time Events and Knights of the Old Republic 2's various party interaction events.