Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

something like this?

um, NO obviously not, that's ridiculous

it'll look like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

it'll look like this

:laffo:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i ordered an 8+. the x seems kind of gimmicky but maybe next year the xi will be better

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

it'll look like this

:worship:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dislike button posted:

i ordered an 8+. the x seems kind of gimmicky but maybe next year the xi will be better

gonna get whatever x they figure out how to get touch id working on the screen. ride or die with my 6s until then

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

My Linux Rig posted:

lol so I guess the notch covering poo poo up in landscape mode is gonna be a thing when it releases huh?
unless....

https://twitter.com/vojtastavik/status/907911237983449088

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

You could just orient the bottom side to the left and it wouldn't be so bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
reeeeeee

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

they are not allowed to do that i think

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

seems odd that you can still get every color every size and every capacity of the 8 for pick up or delivery on launch day. didn't past launches of in-demand combinations get backordered within an hour or so or am I misremembering?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

whip posted:

You could just orient the bottom side to the left and it wouldn't be so bad

“you’re holding it wrong”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

Don't mask or call special attention to key display features. Don't attempt to hide the device's rounded corners, sensor housing, or indicator for accessing the Home screen by placing black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Don't use visual adornments like brackets, bezels, shapes, or instructional text to call special attention to these areas either.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

seems odd that you can still get every color every size and every capacity of the 8 for pick up or delivery on launch day. didn't past launches of in-demand combinations get backordered within an hour or so or am I misremembering?

nah it'd be like a week's drought, you are right

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

The 8 isn't the new phone this year, the X is.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

people might be waiting for the X

or they might’ve gotten all that poo poo figured out by now since the iphone 8 design isn’t a huge departure from the 6, 6S, & 7.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

Don't mask or call special attention to key display features. Don't attempt to hide the device's rounded corners, sensor housing, or indicator for accessing the Home screen by placing black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Don't use visual adornments like brackets, bezels, shapes, or instructional text to call special attention to these areas either.

so, basically, if your app is using the correct UI positioning stuff already (Autolayout, anchoring constraints to the system-provided edge insets, using the built-in navbar & toolbar elements, etc) then your app will Just Work.

apps that do dumb poo poo like assuming status bar height, anchoring to vertical insets but not horizontal ones, making their own navbar & toolbar UI elements instead of customizing the built-in ones, etc, will be the only ones affected.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doc Block posted:

or they might’ve gotten all that poo poo figured out by now since the iphone 8 design isn’t a huge departure from the 6, 6S, & 7.

ya, wasn't the ~micro polished~ jet black the only 7 that was really supply constrained?

Doc Block posted:

apps that do dumb poo poo like assuming status bar height, anchoring to vertical insets but not horizontal ones, making their own navbar & toolbar UI elements instead of customizing the built-in ones, etc, will be the only ones affected.

this is probably behind that awful.app screenshot i took that everyone's sharing around--we basically fake an ipad style popover for the iphone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't wait for tim's next keynote where he talks about how excited he is about the iphone 8 and iphonx and doesn't ever mention sales numbers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

people are going to lease iphones like idiots and apple will be fine

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

that still looks terrible though

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gently caress the notch

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Doc Block posted:

Apple should just move to releases every 18-24 months like they've done with Macs and iPads. Every other major smart phone maker would follow.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

My Linux Rig posted:

:thejoke:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

apps that were already handling edge insets properly shouldn’t be affected.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dislike button posted:

that's timb's master plan for the chinese market. they literally throw u in jail for refusing a xi

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

if you don't like the red crown on the series 3 lte watchdots has a solution for you

https://twitter.com/watchdots/status/908659608914468864

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eric posted:

Apple should just move to releases every 18-24 months like they've done with Macs and iPads. Every other major smart phone maker would follow.

apple sells about 75 million phones per launch quarter and about 40-50 million other quarters. moving the launch day of the phone out by a week has a noticeable impact on their earnings which hits the stock price. pushing out the release by 6 months would make shareholders very sad.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

gently caress the notch

yeah. gently caress notch too!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that's timb's master plan for the chinese market. they literally throw u in jail for refusing a xi

Lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the iphone xi will finally be thin enough and thus sharp enough to enable BloodID

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

iPhone XS

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mr. Apollo posted:

if you don't like the red crown on the series 3 lte watchdots has a solution for you

https://twitter.com/watchdots/status/908659608914468864

#DigitalClown

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

[quote="“Dixie Cretin Seaman”" post="“476435740”"]
that’s timb’s master plan for the chinese market. they literally throw u in jail for refusing a xi
[/quote]

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Assuming the Geekbench scores hold, Apple TV 4K is faster than the Mac Mini.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

they are comparing the new fast cores to the old fast cores and the new slow cores to the old slow cores. the numbers between fast and slow are completely unrelated. does that make sense now?

yes, thankyou ☺️

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jimmy Carter posted:

Assuming the Geekbench scores hold, Apple TV 4K is faster than the Mac Mini.

It has an A10X which keeps up with or outperforms 2016 processors.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

it would be really cool to see how apple's cpus perform in a non-power-constrained system (ie desktop). big honkin heatsink, no thermal throttling or worries about draining a battery.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SO DEMANDING posted:

it would be really cool to see how apple's cpus perform in a non-power-constrained system (ie desktop). big honkin heatsink, no thermal throttling or worries about draining a battery.

they'd probably run software that's designed for the architecture at an amazing speed. the problem is, outside of apple oses and more specifically ios, nothing is designed to run on them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

they'd probably run software that's designed for the architecture at an amazing speed. the problem is, outside of apple oses and more specifically ios, nothing is designed to run on them.

let's go back to the very early 90s where you like had a CHOICE, man, a choice for your hardware. fuckin' RISC OS, BeOS on PowerPC chips, enough of this boring wintel stuff! *massive bong rip*

• Locked thread