Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Im a pretty casual fan and i think Canelo is going to get the poo poo beat out of him if/when he puts his back on the ropes as he has a habit of doing

but I also think he'll probably make it to a decision so who knows what can happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Jack B Nimble posted:

For reasons outside of boxing?

Part of it is a generational divide, with the JCC generation having some resentment towards canelo as a result of him being "anointed" at a young age.

I'm sure many of you have heard criticism of GGG based upon HBO really pushing him, like he was a created star rather than earning it. Canelo is actually in the same situation.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

For reasons outside of boxing?

Mexicans hate that he dropped a belt rather than defend it. He also inflicted that farce of a fight against Chavez Jr on us.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I also hated that fight, but I blame all three camps. That was just a stupid, awkward infomercial advertised as a fight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was going to say whatever else you say about that fight Canelo finally killed JCCJr's career forever which is something we can all appreciate. But I looked it up and of course he's coming back.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what time is the weigh in?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/908730815869100032

:getin: what a year of fights

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yesssssssssssssssss

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder if the May-Mac is somehow responsible for the parade of good bookings. Maybe freak show inspired shamed boxers and promoters to stop loving around and make the good fights so that the freak shows don't have a chance to steal the spotlight.

e. fixed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I lied my thread is going up tonight even if it's half finished and will have no pictures.

CommonShore posted:

I wonder if the May-Mac is somehow responsible for the parade of good bookings. Maybe freak show inspired shamed boxers and promoters to stop loving around and make the good fights so that the freak shows don't have a chance to steal the spotlight.

e. fixed.

I think that's part of it, I also think just Mayweather and Pacquiao vacating means there's room again for guys to establish themselves as "the best." Regardless it's been a great year for boxing, lots of fantastic matches from start to finish.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
^^ We look forward to it (with or without pics), cause your threads are always The Truth.

CommonShore posted:

e. fixed.

I dunno, this entire year has been ridiculous, so I think it's just coincidence.

A big part of it is honestly is HBO telling Top Rank to gently caress themselves, and then Top Rank having to put up quality matchups (or at the very least marquee fighters like Pac) to get approved for ESPN. This is obviously something that could swing back around like it did last year (gently caress 2016), but this year has been amazing.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

e. fixed.

Maybe boxers and promoters have finally figured out they should put on fights that people want to see if they're ever going to get Americans to care about boxing again.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Credit should also go to Fast Eddie Hearn for making big fights in the UK, sacrificing Kell Brook in the process

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What were the numbers for May-Mac? Were the PPV numbers disappointing based on expectations?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

What were the numbers for May-Mac? Were the PPV numbers disappointing based on expectations?

Here's what Meltzer says

Dave Meltzer WON posted:

At this point, the estimate for Mayweather vs. McGregor on PPV is 4.6 million North American buys between PPV and iPPV, so those who bet on the under on the 4.99 million look to be the winners.

It’s not an exact science and it’s been noted that if the same growth as Mayweather-Pacquiao takes place the number could be up to 4.8 million, but with so much a higher percentage of buys being through the Internet (a solid number that won’t grow), the growth from early numbers may not be as significant.

When we look at total revenue the show produced, it should be about $445 million from PPV (Cable providers and satellite providers would get 30 percent of the PPV money but the iPPV money would go to the promotion at a much higher percentage), the live gate was $55 million, the U.K. and Ireland PPV is probably about $28 million, international TV rights were estimated at $35 million, $28 million were estimated in sponsorships, $2.6 million in U.S. movie theaters and $15 million from bars and Restaurant airings. There is also a Las Vegas area closed circuit number that is not yet available but should be in about a week, but going in the estimate for that would have been $7 million.

So all-in-all, the total gross for the event looks to be in the range of $615 to $620 million.
Because a single event like a World Cup final or a Super Bowl is part of a television package, you can’t really give a figure on its value, but for events that you can give a direct money value to, it would be the biggest event of its kind in sports history and I’m thinking probably entertainment history as well.

Regarding unsold tickets for Mayweather vs. McGregor, there were about 1,600 unsold tickets at $3,500, 1,550 unsold tickets at $5,000, 650 unsold tickets at $7,500 and just under 700 unsold tickets at $10,000. So they overestimated what people were willing to pay.

A key part of this that people also don’t take into consideration was that Mayweather vs. Pacquiao had a seven year build and was the natural match to be made between two huge drawing cards and was on a great night. Mayweather vs. McGregor had a few month build, was not on a great night (the boxing people insisted on getting it out there before 9/16 for the unfounded fear that GGG vs. Alvarez going first would lower the ceiling and they had to be first), although honestly I think night is overrated as long as it’s a Saturday

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

imagine how high the numbers for manny vs floyd would've been if, instead of a 7 year build, it had a 4 year one and happened before manny got sparked against marquez and looked like poo poo against bradley

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

weigh in stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDx7yhahKf8

edit;

both bang on at 160

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 15, 2017

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Three Gs baby

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The weigh in already happened? That seems super early.

ozymandius1024 posted:

^^ We look forward to it (with or without pics), cause your threads are always The Truth.

I dunno, this entire year has been ridiculous, so I think it's just coincidence.

A big part of it is honestly is HBO telling Top Rank to gently caress themselves, and then Top Rank having to put up quality matchups (or at the very least marquee fighters like Pac) to get approved for ESPN. This is obviously something that could swing back around like it did last year (gently caress 2016), but this year has been amazing.

So me and MMM watcha say are just chopped liver? :mad:

In defense of HBO-naturally coming from me-losing Top Rank has forced them to be a bit creative in their matchup which gives us things like 'Superfly' and whatever comes from it. If they can get their budget on track they may even be able to start working with Haymon again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
do they have to weight in the day of the fight? or can they start packing on a bunch of weight now?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

One of the belts is the IBF and they have check weights on the morning of the fight and you can't be 10lbs over

e: however don't be surprised if Canelo ignores it and so can't win the IBF

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

do they have to weight in the day of the fight? or can they start packing on a bunch of weight now?

Nah they can pack on whatever they want now.

They used to do weigh ins on fight day but it got people killed, since so many fighters are doing stuff like cutting water to make weight and their bodies didn't have time to recover.

e: Ooops corrected with that belt thing. I was unaware of that.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 15, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lionel Richie posted:

One of the belts is the IBF and they have check weights on the morning of the fight and you can't be 10lbs over

e: however don't be surprised if Canelo ignores it and so can't win the IBF

Would Canelo ignore it? It wasn't that long ago that dude was fighting at like 154 so I'm not sure his walking around weight would be much over 160. He was light going into the catchweight with JCC jr wasn't he?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He might not, it just wouldn't be a huge surprise if he did. Maybe he wants every advantage he can get, because Golovkin will almost certainly be keeping to it.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
For some reason I remember reading about the IBF recently getting rid of the same day weigh in rule, but I can't find any confirmation of that now so maybe I just imagined it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was under the impression Canelo isn't fighting for one of the belts already.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was under the impression Canelo isn't fighting for one of the belts already.

He's got history with the WBC so he's not accepting their belt if he wins.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 15, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
He doesn't even want the dumb phony belt they made up for the fight

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/9/6/16260002/wbc-creates-another-belt-for-canelo-golovkin

Edit: vvv True dat :glomp: game recognize game.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 16, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

So me and MMM watcha say are just chopped liver? :mad:

Thats fine, it's fine.

(Ya though)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Also two of the three judges are the very bad Adelaide Byrd and the very shady Dave Moretti so imo the pick has to be Canelo by (crooked) unanimous decision.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Thats fine, it's fine.

(Ya though)

You guys are the Marvelous Marvin Hagler to my Sugar Ray Leonard.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
This always gets asked, but anyone have an estimate as to what time the main event will be PST?

e: found it

Estimated Start
5:10 PM Ryan Martin vs Francisco Rojo
5:50 PM Randy Caballero vs Diego De La Hoya
7:00 PM Joseph Diaz Jr vs Jorge Lara
8:00 PM Saul Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin

meat CRime fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 16, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The SituAsian posted:

Also two of the three judges are the very bad Adelaide Byrd and the very shady Dave Moretti so imo the pick has to be Canelo by (crooked) unanimous decision.

My favorite thing about transitioning to watching boxing from MMA is learning that boxing fans hate Byrd even more than MMA fans. And MMA fans already hate her.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

You guys are the Marvelous Marvin Hagler to my Sugar Ray Leonard.

More like the Madiana to your TBE and I got the body to prove it

And yes those are cheeseburgers in my pockets

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

hell yeah

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

attackmole posted:

My favorite thing about transitioning to watching boxing from MMA is learning that boxing fans hate Byrd even more than MMA fans. And MMA fans already hate her.

Oh man...she's so amazingly bad I'm almost impressed by her record. And she still gets hired to do this.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

The SituAsian posted:

More like the Madiana to your TBE and I got the body to prove it

And yes those are cheeseburgers in my pockets

It's good to see him getting to enjoy his life. Marcos was a badass.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah, it's over. gently caress.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

hexwren posted:

Yeah, it's over. gently caress.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Also two of the three judges are the very bad Adelaide Byrd

What bad boxing scorecards of hers can you point out?