Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd loving love xcom war of the chosen on switch

No mod support would blow tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want Mario + Rabbids 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh man, this World 4 gauntlet is rough

Edit: Whew, pulled it out on my first try! Got kind of tense because I had the feeling I would have to redo a bunch of stuff if I had to start over. Also Rabbid Mario is unstoppable. (Spoilers for 4-8)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 15, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I finished up the main story campaign last night, and enjoyed every last minute of the game.

I'm probably going to do all the challenges, and play all the co-op stuff too. Game seriously owns.

Favorite bits include:
-Everything about Rabbid Peach is wonderful, from her ruthless behavior to the fact that she looks like a dumpy middle-aged man in drag.
-World 3. All of it. Especially the boss, who had me laughing my rear end off.
-In general this game has hilarious story and cut scenes. (Some of the text jokes fall flat, see below)
-Beep-O being a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone, especially Toad.

Things they could do better:
-I want to be able to drop Mario from my party.
-There was no reason to use anyone other than Rabbid Luigi, Rabbid Mario, and Luigi (pick 2 to go with Mario: rLuigi if you need healing, rMario if you need AOE damage, Luigi if you need movement speed and/or single-target damage). This group can perfect every level.
-If you're wandering around, and you get the contextual "look" button above Beep-O, don't bother. It's some snarky remark about some stupid Rabbid doing some stupid thing. It got old by world 2.
-Some of the overworld puzzles were dull. They weren't hard, they just took time to complete.

Wish List for the Inevitable Sequel:
-Bring in traditional Mario baddies as enemies, map hazards, or both. I want to kick turtle shells at hammer bros through a line of Goombas while Lakitu throws spinies into the world.
-More "puzzle" style bosses (world 3 boss had a basic puzzle aspect) and fewer surprise transformations.
-More alternate win conditions like "reach area". A coin generating/collecting mechanic would be great.
-More abilities with tradeoffs. Rabbid Mario, for example, does huge AOE damage--but deals friendly fire, too. Made him more challenging to use.
-Multiplayer would be amazing, especially if they bring in more advanced tricks like moving a dude through a pipe to trigger an overwatch from Peach that hits her own team also.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Mordiceius posted:

I want Mario + Rabbids 2.

:same:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
While it has a lot of mechanics ripped straight from the modern XCOM games, it's still pretty apples to oranges. I'd say it's akin to a seperate game in a genre, like a first person shooter such as the modern Doom versus the Metroid Prime games in terms of how different the two are.

Mario + Rabbids, compared to XCOM, is extremely mobility-based and very focused on aggression and constant damage as opposed to defensive play (the game even outright rewards you for bumrushing in the ranking system) and fights and battles come out at a very rapid pace. So, oddly enough, Mario + Rabbids would be the Doom 2016 in that comparison, as long as you replace development and research from XCOM with a one-stop shop that updates as you progress and overworld puzzles.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
After all of the mobility in M+R, going back to XCOM feels sloooooooow.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

^burtle posted:

It truly is my hope that the XCOM guys play this and decide to push for a Switch port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4VB5g7JXc

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Finally got to 4-9, man those stages are rough. Is there anyway to deal with the third stage?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I just stumbled onto one of the "Ultimate Challenges" and, uh... well, that name is pretty accurate :stare:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This final boss doesn't feel like the pushover the thread made it out to be

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It took me a while to figure out the final phase so I have to redo that stage to get a perfect. If that is what the previous poster was asking about you need to put your guys behind the solid full cover. Bowser will slam into it and lose his shield

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's getting to the third phase I'm having trouble with. Everyone keeps ganging up on Mario :saddowns:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:toot: Managed to survive! And the killing blow is gonna be with Mario which is just a perfect way to end it :discourse:

Edit: SEVEN turns??? :wtf:

Edit: omg the credits :discourse: :discourse: :discourse:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 16, 2017

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Macaluso posted:

Ignore the minions/kill them with movement. Focus on Bowser. I got it done in 6.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:toot: Managed to survive! And the killing blow is gonna be with Mario which is just a perfect way to end it :discourse:

Edit: omg the credits :discourse: :discourse: :discourse:

Your mistake is not using R.Mario.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah I was planning on using Rabbid Mario when I go to redo it

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ultimate challenge 4, got to turn 7, then a poo poo ton of bucklers and valkyries spawned around Toad. gently caress this challenge.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So far of the normal challenges, challenge 4-9 "uphill battle" has been the hardest for me so far. It has me completely stumped

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macaluso posted:

So far of the normal challenges, challenge 4-9 "uphill battle" has been the hardest for me so far. It has me completely stumped

I had to look up a guide for that one, I recommend you do, too. the only one of those i enjoyed solving was the one in world 3

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

spit on my clit posted:

ultimate challenge 4, got to turn 7, then a poo poo ton of bucklers and valkyries spawned around Toad. gently caress this challenge.

Yeah, the worst is when they expect you to spend 15 turns on a challenge, because they'll be happy to screw you over on turn 14.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

I had to look up a guide for that one, I recommend you do, too. the only one of those i enjoyed solving was the one in world 3

Finally figured it out on my own. Took a lot of trial and error on finding the perfect spots cause the tornado is pretty unpredictable

Edit: :lol: the next challenge. Started to run out of ideas huh?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Going through the main campaign I had no technical issues, but with the challenges I have had multiple crashes, it's getting kind of bothersome

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:lol: okay I take back what I said about that challenge (kill 18 enemies). The end of that made me laugh out loud

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

:lol: okay I take back what I said about that challenge (kill 18 enemies). The end of that made me laugh out loud

It starts with a 50HP ziggy, and ends with a 50HP ziggy. It's like poetry, you know, it rhymes.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 17, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo this game is good.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

spit on my clit posted:

That was the first ultimate challenge I did and every time the enemies spawned rabbid Mario was in more or less a great spot to magnet and hammer everything. I feel like I got pretty lucky, it would feel real bad losing toad on like turn 21.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I wish there was a demo of this game, I would have picked it up on launch day. Instead, I got it for free from the library and now I am wondering if I can marathon through it in a week before it has to go back. Save files at least stay on the system with these cartriges.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love the animations on Bowser Jr's mech

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

This Bowser Jr midboss battle without anybody dying is hard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Hebug posted:

This Bowser Jr midboss battle without anybody dying is hard.

Round 1: Mario does M-Power (you have this maxed, right?), then move Mario and Luigi to opposite sides of the arena. Activate Hero Sight/Steely Stare. Shoot Jr with your third guy, watch as Jr aggros back and forth due to overwatch shots.

Shoot with Mario or Luigi (whoever is furthest), then the other. Move third guy somewhere safe.

Jr should be at least half dead, and the valk that did the shield is probably dead through the feedback effect.

Round 2: you won't have overwatch, but just juggle Jr's location by choosing who shoots in what order.

Round 3: If overwatch is back, repeat round 1, else repeat round 2. Repeat this step until Jr is dead.

Edit: seriously just ignore the valks.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 18, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

Round 1: Mario does M-Power (you have this maxed, right?), then move Mario and Luigi to opposite sides of the arena. Activate Hero Sight/Steely Stare. Shoot Jr with your third guy, watch as Jr aggros back and forth due to overwatch shots.

Shoot with Mario or Luigi (whoever is furthest), then the other. Move third guy somewhere safe.

Jr should be at least half dead, and the valk that did the shield is probably dead through the feedback effect.

Round 2: you won't have overwatch, but just juggle Jr's location by choosing who shoots in what order.

Round 3: If overwatch is back, repeat round 1, else repeat round 2. Repeat this step until Jr is dead.

Edit: seriously just ignore the valks.
Going to have a hard time activating mpower and Mario's overwatch on the same turn though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PneumonicBook posted:

Going to have a hard time activating mpower and Mario's overwatch on the same turn though.

You're right. So just do Overwatch. The key is the back-and-forth overwatch fire to pull him in multiple directions (resulting in him not moving very far at all).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

After spending like an hour trying to find the single chest I was missing in the ghost world (it was basically in plain site, I literally just kept running by it) I finally stepped foot into the first ultimate challenge

Holy gently caress :psyduck:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I don't remember who said Luigi was bad but whoever that was, you are so wrong that it hurts. It's the same camp as the sniper class in XCOM 1. You just plop him on high ground for a downright bonkers damage bonus, and with a 3-shot, 1-turn cooldown overwatch making you able to fire on average twice per turn, and a sentry for crowd control, and an ability to add 3 cells to your movement for you and your other characters, and a ridiculous mobility to get to superior positioning and the longest range in the game so you never have to leave that position. Not only that, but slapping Mario's damage bonus ability on Luigi gives him four whole shots which, with max weapon strength and high ground bonuses, do about 550 non-crit damage that you can focus on a single target or on multiple enemies. Luigi has carried me through all four of the challenges. He's just so good.

I mean, every character is really good, but Luigi is anything but bad. For anybody struggling with the ultimate challenges, give Luigi max high ground bonus and overwatch abilities and just set back and let him handle everything. Pair him up with either Rabbid Peach to pick off stragglers or Rabbid Luigi to do the same, both are capable of keeping Luigi fully healed.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/DavideSoliani/status/909828559291678721/video/1

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Theta Zero posted:

I don't remember who said Luigi was bad but

I literally don’t remember anyone at all saying this anywhere in this thread. We’ve all been saying he’s the best character since the beginning.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Luigi is actually bad and very map dependent. He's a glass cannon and if you have to deal with either multiple fights in the chapter or close quarter maps and you don't get to keep control/overpower the enemy right away, he's going to get killed. He's mostly useless against the beach ghost stages of world 3.

On big maps he's great, though.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lol if that was actually in the game I would have lost my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

1k animations per character for combat seems pretty insanse... There's definitely a lot, but 1000 seems way higher than I thought.

• Locked thread