Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Was there any violence at the Shapiro speech?

No, they had about a billion cops and cordoned off the whole school with security checkpoints like six hours before he showed.

Here's some hilarious bits from this local news site: http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/09/15/relief-satisfaction-ben-shapiro-talk-uc-berkeley-goes-smoothly/

quote:

Amid a massive police presence and tight security that cost Cal an estimated $600,000, conservative commentator Ben Shapiro spoke to an enthusiastic audience at Zellerbach Hall on Thursday night while hundreds of protesters were cordoned off on Bancroft Avenue.

Carol Christ, who took over as UC Berkeley chancellor in the summer, vowed to allow a year of “free speech” on campus. The university even took the unusual step of paying the rental costs of Zellerbach to ensure that Shapiro’s talk, hosted by the Berkeley College Republicans, could go on.

The protests stayed on Bancroft Avenue for the entire evening. As a security precaution, Cal had blocked access to Sproul Plaza, Lower Sproul, Sproul Hall, the student union building and other buildings. White concrete and plastic orange barriers known as K-rails formed a perimeter between the south side of campus and the street. Hundreds of police officers from around the state, including contingents from all nine UC campuses, the Berkeley and Oakland police departments, Alameda and Contra Costa counties, and the California Highway Patrol, stood all night facing the crowd. Dressed in bulletproof vests, helmets, and carrying batons, plastic handcuffs, and other items, they were an intimidating presence.

Numerous police agencies provided assistance. In addition to the Berkeley and UC Berkeley police departments, the California Highway Patrol, the Oakland Police Department, the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department, the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office, the Solano County Agencies, the Fremont Police Department, the California State Police, the Stanford University Police Department, the Citrus Heights Police Department, and police departments from eight other UC campuses sent officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's getting disturbing how much they think anything that makes them look bad is a conspiracy. Like Heather Heyer being killed by a heart attack instead of a car.
Oh yeah. 'So totally not our fault!'

Then he gets charged with murder anyways and they react 'So what you're telling me is that if I plow my car into a crowd of protesters, and someone who wasn't hit but what standing right next to it has a heart attack and dies... that I'm responsible!?'

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Shear Modulus posted:

No, they had about a billion cops and cordoned off the whole school with security checkpoints like six hours before he showed.

Here's some hilarious bits from this local news site: http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/09/15/relief-satisfaction-ben-shapiro-talk-uc-berkeley-goes-smoothly/

Ah, "Free speech zones" are back baby!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

c'mon kid, you've got neighbors

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Over Easy posted:

the brown braided belt really brings the outfit together

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

is there any indication that the college will spend six hundred grand on non-alt-right free speech

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

is there any indication that the college will spend six hundred grand on non-alt-right free speech

lol no

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasVanguard/status/908612523091480576

The revived Texas Vanguard totally arrived at the statue too early so they missed it when the city hauled it away. There was an unexpected delay.

Second from left is the guy who got manhandled by the Oathkeepers in Houston. He later lost his flag at Charlotteville during a fight.

He really liked that flag, too. To be fair, it was a pretty good design IMO. (Edit: Removed wrong video. He was actually trying to wrestle with a line of riot cops -- bad move -- when someone came up behind and snatched it from him.)

The guy on the left in the Vanguard photo looks uncannily like someone from the so-called "National Bloc" who has been putting up neo-Nazi propaganda on college campuses in the middle of the night around these parts. I say that because the NB tweeted a photo of someone with the same build and stance holding one of the signs over his face. The photo has since been removed, though, from what I can tell.

Do the chuds know those painting masks don't do anything? They need full respirators or gas masks. Also it burns your skin, right? It's almost like they're a bunch of morons playing dress-up.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

be the change u want to see at ur university

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Shear Modulus posted:

even tho no fash could possibly get bashed its extremely good that they are blowing a ton of money on defending these things because eventually they're going to run out of it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Over Easy posted:

i love that its a plastic dollar store kids sword. like he couldnt even spring from a sorta ok looking fake from a renfair or even a cheap katana.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Ah, my Bloodborne character.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bump_fn posted:

be the change u want to see at ur university

jokes on them, I haven't donated despite 17 years of alumni association spam

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jose posted:

ben shapiro is 5'4

lol He's so little

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

Do the chuds know those painting masks don't do anything? They need full respirators or gas masks. Also it burns your skin, right? It's almost like they're a bunch of morons playing dress-up.

i dont think he even has the filter canisters on it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It was discussed further up in the thread, but I'll add. Certain segments of the Air Force have higher populations of weirdos. Comm and Intel are usually the worst for anime and whatnot. Bronies didn't exist when I went through Comm school 9 years ago. I apparently really dodged a bullet there because there's apparently a lot of them there now.

There was a ton of idiots using 4Chan stuff in real life but it wasn't quite the cesspool it is today at that point.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

It was discussed further up in the thread, but I'll add. Certain segments of the Air Force have higher populations of weirdos. Comm and Intel are usually the worst for anime and whatnot. Bronies didn't exist when I went through Comm school 9 years ago. I apparently really dodged a bullet there because there's apparently a lot of them there now.

There was a ton of idiots using 4Chan stuff in real life but it wasn't quite the cesspool it is today at that point.

Any insights as to why this is happening to begin with?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
NEETs parents telling them they have to go somewhere and those areas let them use computers

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Ah, the hit character Bloodborne, from the Soul Calibur series!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Over Easy posted:

Any insights as to why this is happening to begin with?
A certain level of computer aptitude is required for these jobs so there's a higher than average chance these people have dorky hobbies to begin with, and might have beem exposed to the darker side of the internet. Then, because the military hasn't quite figured out yet that treating people like poo poo keeps level headed people from wanting to stick around there's an overabundance in the higher ranks of people who are only there because they can't handle the real world. Then there's 16 years of GWOT that keeps a good portion of normal people out. It's quite the mess.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

a gun instead of a sword and this would be a sweet man in black halloween costume; he might even make a passable van cleef as angel eyes

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

A certain level of computer aptitude is required for these jobs so there's a higher than average chance these people have dorky hobbies to begin with, and might have beem exposed to the darker side of the internet. Then, because the military hasn't quite figured out yet that treating people like poo poo keeps level headed people from wanting to stick around there's an overabundance in the higher ranks of people who are only there because they can't handle the real world. Then there's 16 years of GWOT that keeps a good portion of normal people out. It's quite the mess.

That's a really good and depressing answer

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i'm glad i stopped returning my recruiter's phone calls or i might be eeven more 0nline than i am now

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The current UMSC Commendant gets it which is funny because their culture is really the worst among the services to the point that you'll wish you were working with a guy who has anime statues all over his desk.

quote:

"Most people with good ideas are annoying because they are frustrated," Neller said. "The Marines that we want to re-enlist don't want to stay because they get tired of being around stupid people. They do. They get frustrated, they get tired of beating their head against the wall. [They say] 'You guys won't listen to me, I'm outta here. I'm going to go to college and make a million bucks.' And they do."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

The current UMSC Commendant gets it which is funny because their culture is really the worst among the services to the point that you'll wish you were working with a guy who has anime statues all over his desk.

I mean, that's great but I've been hearing this same refrain from the military top brass about the need to retain good people for at least a decade, and I never see anything change.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The US should have compulsory service

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

I mean, that's great but I've been hearing this same refrain from the military top brass about the need to retain good people for at least a decade, and I never see anything change.
I've never outright heard someone at his level talk about "stupid people". I remember sitting through a talk from the CMSGT of the Air Force during the height of the Iraq surge where he went on and on about just how hard it was to get into the Air Force. All I could think about was my roommate that McDonalds decided to pass on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKnzREWQb24

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

lancemantis posted:

The USSA should have compulsory service

Permanent Revolution, baby!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Why is this video so quiet.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

lancemantis posted:

The US should have compulsory drive-through service

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Sep 16, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

lancemantis posted:

The US should have compulsory service

they did and it turns out that people don't like being drafted to fight stupid imperialistic wars :shrug:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

https://twitter.com/ColsBols/status/908782393644875776

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the ground is antifa

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

they did and it turns out that people don't like being drafted to fight stupid imperialistic wars :shrug:

eh draft really isn't the same thing as compulsory service -- its just compulsory service on a lottery

a universal requirement to provide some level of service can help dilute the career military class, troop worship, hawkishness, etc

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasVanguard/status/908612523091480576

The revived Texas Vanguard totally arrived at the statue too early so they missed it when the city hauled it away. There was an unexpected delay.

Second from left is the guy who got manhandled by the Oathkeepers in Houston. He later lost his flag at Charlotteville during a fight.

He really liked that flag, too. To be fair, it was a pretty good design IMO. (Edit: Removed wrong video. He was actually trying to wrestle with a line of riot cops -- bad move -- when someone came up behind and snatched it from him.)

The guy on the left in the Vanguard photo looks uncannily like someone from the so-called "National Bloc" who has been putting up neo-Nazi propaganda on college campuses in the middle of the night around these parts. I say that because the NB tweeted a photo of someone with the same build and stance holding one of the signs over his face. The photo has since been removed, though, from what I can tell.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol from that twitter account

wheres waldo but w/ hitler

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

tag yourself, I'm Bigfoot with the Nazi armband

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im baked alaska obv