Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Lelouch Vi Britannia commands you to lessen the carbon footprint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Toyota supports the rebellion!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5kakp9_code-geass-lelouch-of-the-resurrection-pv_tv

Higher quality, non-cam version of the previous promo video.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looks like more of the same, which is good.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Indeed, but its a bit distressing that we haven't seen any news at all since that PV.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So Akito finally came out in the US.... hoo boy those accents aren't good.

I really wish there was a stereo mix, the voices are too quiet but the explosions are too loud.

Also what the hell is with their pronunciation of Britannia? Its Bri-TAN-nia, not Bri-TAY-nia.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ok I just finished all 5 Akito episodes, can anyone summarize to me what the gently caress just happened

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

AnacondaHL posted:

Ok I just finished all 5 Akito episodes, can anyone summarize to me what the gently caress just happened

Any particular questions? I thought the first four episodes and half of the fifth were more or less straightforward enough.

Otherwise...well, the weirdest and admittedly kind of convoluted stuff all happens later. Not always self-evident, but they do give a few hints and I believe it can be explained like this:

-The Brain Raid System (BRS) installed in the Alexanders, which can synchronize the minds of pilots and had shown this effect back in episode 2, interacted with Akito, Shin and the Geass command that links the two together. More on that below.

-This causes some sort of quantum reaction and sends them to another plane. Noein, made by the same director, used a similar interpretation of quantum physics that's (slightly) better explained in the show and you can click through stuff in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noein:_To_Your_Other_Self#Concept

-Shin got his Geass from his father after killing him. The idea, new to this OVA, is that you can also inherit a Geass through your blood line (written materials from the original show did reference that Geass potential exists within a person's blood line, but this doesn't come up during the TV series).

-The silly skull is there in order to confuse people and also to represent that this is actually a bad thing born out of Shin's hatred (thus why they called it a "cursed" or "twisted" Geass), which ties into the old warning from C.C. that having the "Power of the King" will isolate the user.

-In the case of Shin, his Geass power can only be used to kill those he loves. In other words, people from his real and adopted families. It didn't work on Leila because he doesn't know this limitation and she's not part of his family. It didn't work on Akito because he was too young to understand the concept of death, so his mind misinterpreted the order and eventually gave him that berserker rage of his (DIE, DIE, DIE), which is externalizing the meaning (kill others, instead of yourself).

-Akito and Shin can see dead people, I guess because their relationship and specifically that twisted Geass command have so much to do with death. This had already been shown at the end of the first episode and, in Shin's case, during the fourth one. There were no real ghosts during the original TV series, but I imagine the new director felt that works with the theme of this new story.

-When the Britannians go in and murder everyone at the facility, Leila subconsciously uses her Geass power and is rescued by the Caretaker of Space/Time. In other words, that mysterious woman who, like she does literally say here, is basically a manifestation or representative of the collective consciousness (also known as "god" or Jupiter, whatever, that thing Lelouch "geassed" in late R2 to get rid of Charles and his mom). The thing is, not everyone can see her, which is why we never saw or heard about this person during the original TV series. Convenient retcon? Yes, but I kind of prefer it this way because that opens more story possibilities.

-Since this entity can manipulate space and time, it sends Leila back in time (or back to her original world, plane, whatever) and lets her prevent everyone in the control room from being massacred. They also bring Akito and Shin back to reality. Why is she so generous? Well, apparently she appreciates that Leila has no greedy ambitions or selfish desires regarding her Geass, unlike most characters in the TV series, which slightly improves her opinion of humanity in spite of its general misuse of Geass.

-What is Leila's Geass? It appears to be a Newtype-style link ability to connect people and let them communicate with each other. That's why Akito and Shin were able to reconcile at the very last second of his life, thus he can die without hatred.

-The Caretaker of Space/Time (tm) had some unspecified dealings with General Smilas in the past and felt cheated. We saw her reference this during the third episode, but no details were explained.

-Since she hates him so much and Shin's already dead, there is no further use for General Smilas (also he's not in R2). Thus Ashley (the red Britannian ace who defected in an admittedly pretty corny scene) is teleported by the Caretaker of Space/Time (tm) to his location in order to kill Smilas.

-How the gently caress can you teleport people? Well, I believe they explained, outside of the show, that it's by using Geass ruins like what V.V. did (man, does anyone remember that character?) during the original series. The difference is that had mostly happened off-screen, while this time they decided to show us a little part of the process.

-With Smilas gone, Europe is in disarray. The local Britannian nobles failed at their task, because of all the business with Shin, so Schneizel and the other Knights of the Round swoop in to conquer the rest of Europe instead. See early R2.

-Rolo picks up Lelouch and Suzaku. The Emperor presumably uses his own Geass on Lelouch again and rewrites his memories, this time in a manner that doesn't radically change his personality nor causes him to become mentally unstable as gently caress, so Lelouch goes back to school with a fake brother and forgets about being Zero but otherwise acts normally. See early R2.

tl, dr: A new director was hired to add new ideas to Code Geass and that does happen here, but he simultaneously was given too much creative freedom yet lacked the ability to convey all of his ideas clearly within five (they were originally supposed to be four) OVA episodes. I feel he was wishing this had been a full TV series by the end.

I believe that should help. This is my not-so-insane interpretation but everything is susceptible to future changes.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 10, 2017

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The first time I watched Code Geass I accidentally skipped the last episode of season one and started season two and I think it actually makes it way better.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Good writeup, ty. Though it misses the two major questions about the end:

1) What actually was Leila's geass? Is it blue just for stylistic choice to show she uses it in a good way, and/or is it mechanically different?

2) How the heck after all that did they get away with returning to the nomadic granny camp and living out their lives there? Like what part of what they did shows that this was a solution to any part of their future lives? Does this imply they just sit around and watch everything in R2 happen from afar, and no one catches them and no one looks for them or finds them or :psyduck:

Obviously both questions are sufficiently answered by

wielder posted:

tl, dr: A new director was hired to add new ideas to Code Geass and that does happen here, but he simultaneously was given too much creative freedom yet lacked the ability to convey all of his ideas clearly within five (they were originally supposed to be four) OVA episodes. I feel he was wishing this had been a full TV series by the end.

but still this was pretty rear end-pull even for a series like Code Geass.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Good writeup, ty. Though it misses the two major questions about the end:

1) What actually was Leila's geass? Is it blue just for stylistic choice to show she uses it in a good way, and/or is it mechanically different?

2) How the heck after all that did they get away with returning to the nomadic granny camp and living out their lives there? Like what part of what they did shows that this was a solution to any part of their future lives? Does this imply they just sit around and watch everything in R2 happen from afar, and no one catches them and no one looks for them or finds them or :psyduck:

Obviously both questions are sufficiently answered by

but still this was pretty rear end-pull even for a series like Code Geass.

1)I think the color is partly due to stylistic choice, yes, and to represent it is different from the other Geass abilities by being more selfless in nature. Like I was saying before...I believe she's got the power to connect people, like a Gundam Newtype. Which makes sense thematically speaking, but obviously the real mechanics weren't explained.

2) Leila is supposed to be dead because the General said so, as far as the public knows. Nobody else is important enough to be worth looking for. They all liked their brief visit to the gypsy camp and the rest of the story convinced them that wars/politics suck, so they wanted to live away from everything.

Either they'll just live like random nomadic tribes during the events of R2 or, who knows, a cameo role could be added to future Geass productions (like the supposedly upcoming 3 recap movies for S1+R2). It's not super likely that we'll ever see them again in any major role though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/geassproject?lang=en

we've got a countdown going

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe we'll get a new season 3 teaser or something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dates for the movies, I imagine

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, they're using obscure images from the first episode of the show. It's likely related to the movie compilation, or at least that's what they want us to believe.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I wouldn't say obscure, just images from the very beginning before we even see Lelouch or Suzaku on screen.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dates for the three compilation movies are out:

10/21/2017
Part 1 Koudo

02/2018
Part 2 Handou

05/2018
Part 3 Oudou

http://geass.jp/L-geass/

PV for the first (nothing new, I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFMFdERyF8

A few more details:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-28/code-geass-compilation-film-trilogy-reveals-visual-teaser-video-dates/.119436

Sequel page (mostly empty):
http://geass.jp/resurrection/

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 28, 2017

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I was under the impression they were going to reanimate.

I somehow doubt they'll fit all of R2 into a single film, I really do hope they trim the fat off of it.

At the very least I hope there's quick turnaround for the English versions. I doubt they'll actually get these out when they say they will but we'll see.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I was under the impression they were going to reanimate.

I somehow doubt they'll fit all of R2 into a single film, I really do hope they trim the fat off of it.

At the very least I hope there's quick turnaround for the English versions. I doubt they'll actually get these out when they say they will but we'll see.

They said there will be "plenty of new cuts" back during the anniversary announcement, so some reanimated and rewritten content will likely be included across the three films, but it seems clear that most of the footage will be the same. The Eureka 7 compilation films seem to be doing something similar, though in that case the aspect ratio differences make it more jarring.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the third movie that contains most of the new stuff and the majority of the removed parts correspond to R2 though. Until we know the running time, it'll be hard to speculate about this in detail.

Sunrise is currently telling international viewers on their Facebook page to "stay tuned!" for more information.
https://t.co/CYml5ckiee

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Didn't Code Geass already have compilation movies?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Didn't Code Geass already have compilation movies?

They did make two compilations that were released straight to DVD back in the day, but then they simply cut and pasted the existing footage with nothing new. Those weren't shown on the big screen either.

This looks like a far more ambitious project, given the higher profile that comes from setting up a proper theatrical release and so on, including actually adding new stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

wielder posted:

They did make two compilations that were released straight to DVD back in the day, but they simply cut and pasted the existing footage with nothing new. Those weren't shown on the big screen either.

This looks like a far more ambitious project, given the higher profile that comes from setting up a proper theatrical release and so on, including actually adding new stuff.
Ah okay, so we're thinking it will be closer to something like the Zeta Gundam movies in ambition.

Well, hopefully better than those particular films.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I want a movie that's entirely about the girl Lelouch controlled into carving a mark into a wall every day.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clearly they're going to make it obvious Marika actually survives her encounter with the SEITEN Eight Elements with these movies.

Well, probably not, though working in some Glinda Knights references, and how Lelouch actually put a non-mind controlled sibling in charge of Damocles, would be somewhat interesting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Command Ant posted:

I want a movie that's entirely about the girl Lelouch controlled into carving a mark into a wall every day.

She went to an asylum between seasons and got de-Geassed by Orange after R2, per canon.

Lord Koth posted:

Clearly they're going to make it obvious Marika actually survives her encounter with the SEITEN Eight Elements with these movies.

Well, probably not, though working in some Glinda Knights references, and how Lelouch actually put a non-mind controlled sibling in charge of Damocles, would be somewhat interesting.

There is no way that the manga are going to get any play. Like yeah Oz and Renya are technically both canon but Taniguchi and Okouchi don't care about that.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 28, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Command Ant posted:

Orange saved her, in my canon.

Lord Koth posted:

Who?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 28, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

Orange saced her, in my canon.
And in regular canon!

quote:

Who?
Marika Sorsei, Kewell's sister, she's in Luciano's Valkyrie squad and gets wiped by Kallen with the rest of them, but in Oz it's shown she survived.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rodyle posted:

She went to an asylum between seasons and got de-Geassed by Orange after R2, per canon.

There is no way that the manga are going to get any play. Like yeah Oz and Renya are technically both canon but Taniguchi and Okouchi don't care about that.

Yeah, it'd be a fun side note but I'm fully aware that realistically none of Oz is going to get mentioned. Hell, there's a fairly decent likelihood everything from Akito will never be mentioned again either.

Specifically, she was one of the two Valkyrie Squad pilots who got an actual face and like 1-2 lines before blowing up. Not even names in the episode, just like 5 seconds of distinctive designs, which kind of begs the question of why they wasted the budget to give them art in the first place.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 29, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Akito blew up the Geass cosmology more than Renya did which is insane, it's probably for the best it's ignored.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Akito blew up the Geass cosmology more than Renya did which is insane, it's probably for the best it's ignored.

Was it that bad? I've heard stories, but never really got around to watching the last episode or two (saw the episode with Lulu, skimmed the one after that) for a number of reasons, so genuinely curious just how much they managed to gently caress everything up. Up through what I watched shouldn't have been particularly difficult to integrate if they wanted to, though given Okouchi it would probably still be ignored.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord Koth posted:

Was it that bad? I've heard stories, but never really got around to watching the last episode or two (saw the episode with Lulu, skimmed the one after that) for a number of reasons, so genuinely curious just how much they managed to gently caress everything up. Up through what I watched shouldn't have been particularly difficult to integrate if they wanted to, though given Okouchi it would probably still be ignored.

It isn't that bad. They do throw a wrench into some of the "mechanics" of the geass. (Like, apparently, you can inherit it genetically in some situations?) But, they are bad movies. They're just kind of forgettable. And the heel turn you see from a mile away was dumb.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

The big thing that got to me was that it personified the collective unconscious as an individual with her own wants and views, which kind of misses the point of the whole thing.

And also, ya know, I didn't give a gently caress about even one character the whole time. Killer fights though, in the last episode you get to see some #Squad vs Knightmare action and it rules.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Curiously, I find the new stuff from Akito easier to re-use than any of the additions from Renya. Either way, seeing a silent cameo from Oz characters in the upcoming movies wouldn't be impossible since it's the closest to the original show in feel.

That said...if they do ever mention any of the Geass lore from the spin-offs, I bet they'll just alter the details to make them compatible with whatever happens in Resurrection.

Rodyle posted:

The big thing that got to me was that it personified the collective unconscious as an individual with her own wants and views, which kind of misses the point of the whole thing.

And also, ya know, I didn't give a gently caress about even one character the whole time. Killer fights though, in the last episode you get to see some #Squad vs Knightmare action and it rules.

The irony is that's a positive for me, because it is more interesting than how said entity was portrayed in the original show. We've seen manifestations of collectives before in other media, so that concept isn't entirely bizarre. That's a matter of differences of interpretation, I guess.

I will admit the characters weren't all that charismatic, but they did have their moments. I didn't hate them or anything. The fights were still the coolest part though, no question about that.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 29, 2017

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Speaking of the Manga.... where the hell can I read it? Obviously the only two that are actually related to canon are the ones that never got officially released thanks to Bandai imploding.

Hell now that the rest is out of print I never did get to finish reading Nightmare of Nunally. :(

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

PV for the first compilation movie, which opens next month, is out with some small bits of new footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLvlQPLAors

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

and a cool poster

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rodyle posted:

and a cool poster

I'm glad my friend Lancelot is being treated with the respect he deserves.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it's all about that smug rear end jeremiah

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm curious as to what gives us that Kallen in a Chinese Dress. :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted: