Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

My theater was dead silent and i burst out laughing at that moment, and thankfully other people caught on and laughed too so it wasnt too awkward

I can't believe how much this movie made me laugh. There was so many great little comedy moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
w/r/t the hot topic drawing that was shared, i generally think anything tweeted by an anime avatar should be cautiously latched onto, so i understand the hesitation

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So in another interview Muschietti revealed that Freddy Krueger almost had a cameo in IT but was axed due to being too meta.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

So in another interview Muschietti revealed that Freddy Krueger almost had a cameo in IT but was axed due to being too meta.

When Stan got separated in the sewers I was hoping for it so badly. They even teased a possibility of Freddy with Nightmare on Elm Street 5 playing in the theater.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

MacheteZombie posted:

I can't believe how much this movie made me laugh. There was so many great little comedy moments.

The shot afterward of Ben's headphones dragging on the ground with the NKotB song still playing got a hearty chuckle out of me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

The shot afterward of Ben's headphones dragging on the ground with the NKotB song still playing got a hearty chuckle out of me.

That one was good, Richie constantly looking for approval for his jokes as one of my favorite running jokes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Richie being left hanging on a high five got the biggest laugh for my theater ("this loving clown!" came close).

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

w/r/t the hot topic drawing that was shared, i generally think anything tweeted by an anime avatar should be cautiously latched onto, so i understand the hesitation

Babadook makes much more sense as a queer horror icon than Pennywise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Then explain what you mean with the tweety bird macro, because we seem to be missing each other entirely.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Biggest laugh in my screening was after the creepy 'You look like Lois Lane' line a guy in the back row said 'NOOOOOO!' very loudly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Biggest laugh in my screening was after the creepy 'You look like Lois Lane' line a guy in the back row said 'NOOOOOO!' very loudly.

My wife laughed and cringed extremely hard during that scene. It was loving fantastic, perfectly executed.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Richie being left hanging on a high five got the biggest laugh for my theater ("this loving clown!" came close).

Babadook makes much more sense as a queer horror icon than Pennywise

Alright I'll bite. Why? The Babadook has only become a "Thing" online because it was listed somewhere by mistake (if I'm remembering correctly) under "Gay Cinema" or some such.

I'm genuinely curious if I missed something in the movie or if it's just the internet being the internet and giving a piece of media a new meaning like every other meme.

Also reading every SMG post in this thread has made me remember the parody post about "The Goofy Movie" and laugh.

It's literally a killer clown movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

in Lacanian terms, would Pennywise be considered the objet petit a of the kids? the 'fun' of the summer they keep referencing?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You defeat the Babadook by putting him in the closet.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

joylessdivision posted:

It's literally a killer clown movie.

IT is literally not a killer clown; IT is literally a magic space-spider whose powers are indistinguishable from childish ramblings.

e.g. "Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and then the baby looked at me."

But there are various obvious hints, in the film, as to what is actually going on:

"A boat's not an it; it's a she."

"What's a placebo?" "Placebo means bullshit."

"Bill's gonna kill me."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

IT is literally not a killer clown; IT is literally a magic space-spider whose powers are indistinguishable from childish ramblings.

e.g. "Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and then the baby looked at me."

But there are various obvious hints, in the film, as to what is actually going on:

"A boat's not an it; it's a she."

"What's a placebo?" "Placebo means bullshit."

"Bill's gonna kill me."

Yes I've read the book I am aware.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Then explain what you mean with the tweety bird macro, because we seem to be missing each other entirely.

My bad. Anyway, internet youths, at least the nonreactionary kind, use a lot of radical queer language, concepts and politics to assert themselves.

i.e. "You can't threaten me with the cops, I scare the cops. I can freak them out by loving them too."
"The Babadook doesn't scare me, bitch I SHIP the Babadook."

Both are ironic and jokey but appropriation is about power. Pennywise is a lovely bully but the impulse to overidentify with him is a way to show yourself as being critical of power, it deflates power. Also in the case of horror and villanous characters, solidarity with the unknown, repressed, foreign, etc. It's like how "stan" has become a neutral or positive term as opposed to the original connotation, which is a blindly obsessive fan. A "stan" is someone who admittedly and consciously overidentifies with the thing they're a fan of.

But this is also a really old phenomenon, not just some internet thing.

Like, the del Toro movie coming out is an mannered romance about forbidden (interracial) sex with the Gillman, which has always been the subtext of the Gillman story, for example the very sexually coded ambiguous supervillain Namor is a Gillman. In the 50's, they brought back the Wolfman and Frankenstein explicitly as teenage alienation metaphors, Stephen King also pointed out in Danse Macabre that I Was A Teenage Werewolf was rife with queer subtext. Tweety Bird is rendered as both male and female in bootleg t-shirts. The way that the "nontraditional" Disney Princesses and the Disney villains are totally popular online, but the heroes of these movies generally really aren't. Things like that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mantis42 posted:

You defeat the Babadook by putting him in the closet.

You defeat the Babadook by letting him come out of the closet.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Glad you said so because I swear up and down that's the point of the last ten minutes or so.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fair enough. I didn't think incredibly hard about that movie beyond the first watch.

Gay Babadooks for everyone!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I finally saw the film earlier today, while the film itself is undeniably superior to the Miniseries, the new Pennywise is a far cry from Curry's version (although It was legitimately creepy when he wasn't Pennywise). Dunno, maybe is nostalgia blinding me since Curry's Pennywise scared me shitless when I was young.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Curry's IT is a creepy adult in a clown costume while the new IT is a demon in clown form.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Then you've got stuff like this:

This is getting close to that sweet heroin-grade stick it in my veins "Other to the other" type poo poo (I'm probably getting my caps wrong there - I'm rusty on my Lacan.) I'm probably never going to get to the point where I'm writing my reviews like that, but there's a ton of interesting theoretical ideas I can unpack then try and find some way to reframe without losing the idea underneath.

Jesus Christ, please don't.

Your writing is fine the way it is and there's no need to take it to a next 'level' that no one asked for or wants.

SMG is the epitome of over analyzing poo poo and the living embodiment of deconstructing films to the point that they're not only no fun anymore, but also add and imagine a bunch of bullshit that I doubt ever even crossed the writer's or the director's minds in the first place simply to justify his intellect and make him feel like a part of the experience.

He invents poo poo of whole cloth and is one of the most "ignored" posters on these forums for very good reasons.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You were clearly drawing a line connecting the queer acceptance of villainous fictional characters and the sexual internalization of socially approved violence by cops. unless you weren't, in which case you should have better explicated your point rather than drop a lovely, vague hot take. It's nice when everyone understands what you mean.

I don't even know who MHB was even addressing.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 15, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm honestly surprised SMG isn't arguing that the kids are fascists.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

I'm honestly surprised SMG isn't arguing that the kids are fascists.

All kids are pseudo fascists. War is play and play is war for most young boys. The rule on the playground is the rule of the jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfH2ARyd5Lc

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

SMG is the epitome of over analyzing poo poo and the living embodiment of deconstructing films to the point that they're not only no fun anymore, but also add and imagine a bunch of bullshit that I doubt ever even crossed the writer's or the director's minds in the first place simply to justify his intellect and make him feel like a part of the experience.

He invents poo poo of whole cloth and is one of the most "ignored" posters on these forums for very good reasons.

Said it better than I could.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm not surprised if I got it wrong since its been so long, but weren't they keeping him in a room at the end?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just an explanation on the pennywise as gay icon thing, it's not like the babadook situation where it was from a fluke in Netflix. People joked about it because Pennywise is the next huge iconic horror monster, which got backlash by people explaining that "Pennywise would NEVER be a part of that SJW stuff" so if anybody earnestly supports the joke, it's most likely meant as a middle finger and not literally believing that Pennywise has any subtext attached to him which could be construed as part of being LGBT, like people have done with the Babadook.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know Ben's pain all too well, the very first concert I ever went to was New Kids on the Block when I was like 10 (my sisters and female cousins all went too, me and my cousin Oscar were the only boys). Then I didn't go to another live show until I was in my mid-20s. Whenever my friends in college would talk about going to live shows, I always just dummied up and never, ever, brought up my first concert experience.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerBoat posted:

Your writing is fine the way it is and there's no need to take it to a next 'level' that no one asked for or wants.

So you're kind of an rear end in a top hat, huh?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

I am not a deconstructionist, I am not an intellectual, and I am having more fun than you are.

Like of course Pennywise is appropriated by the woke twitter crowd; he's canonically trans, and the 'killing' stuff is just fun and games. Moreover, Pennywise is anti-bullying: when the lanky teen goes into the sewers in search of the kids, the filmmakers very deliberately mislead us, making it look like the kids are lurking in the dark ready to ambush him. Lanky teen is then attacked by monstrous children and 'dies', and then we cut to the kids escaping on their bikes.

Did the kids just kill the bully? Probably not, given their characterization at this point of the film - and, yet, the attack on the bully by IT and his congregation clearly stands in for their latent desire for violent revenge. See the end of Starship Troopers, with IT as the brain-bug: "IT's afraid!"

Again, it's the children's show theme: IT is characterized as an educator - a dark teacher.

The IT premise is generic enough that we've seen it dozens and dozens of times. It was even an episode of Star Trek, where an evil nightmare clown is accidentally produced by some Inception-style 'shared dream' technology. Another simulation. Another game.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mantis42 posted:

I'm not surprised if I got it wrong since its been so long, but weren't they keeping him in a room at the end?

Yeah, but the point is that she can't get rid of it. They could've shut it up in the basement and forgotten about it, presumably, a lot of other movies would've ended there.

thecluckmeme posted:

Just an explanation on the pennywise as gay icon thing, it's not like the babadook situation where it was from a fluke in Netflix.

What's this?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really really liked IT and think it' my favorite horror film in years, I find it handled everything exceedingly well with regards to horror as well as the coming of age aspects of the story. It made major mistakes, but I feel as though they were not large enough to ruin my overall enjoyment of the film, I also feel like Skargard's Pennywise has the makings of a horror icon.

I also feel that SMG has very valid points in regard to tone and ideas present in the movie and how it is handled.

Stop being a dork and getting angry about someone having a different opinion of a film you like. SMG isn't magically ruining the film for you, he has his own opinions you may or may not agree with. Like his ideas or not the dude's never a dick about it.

Stop getting mad about film theory.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, but the point is that she can't get rid of it. They could've shut it up in the basement and forgotten about it, presumably, a lot of other movies would've ended there.

What's this?

The movie got put into the LGBT category instead of horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

The movie got put into the LGBT category instead of horror.

That's pretty funny.

The IT premise is generic enough that we've seen it dozens and dozens of times. It was even an episode of Star Trek, where an evil nightmare clown is accidentally produced by some Inception-style 'shared dream' technology. Another simulation. Another game.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm glad they nixed it.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Hah! I really appreciate that, but I think I communicated something poorly. I have zero interest in writing like SMG, and a big problem when I first started reviewing with Sheldrake at Can't Stop the Movies is I had this tendency to ape Roger Ebert.

My interest is primarily in experimenting with language. If I'm arguing or making a point, I like trying to find common linguistic ground to convey my perspective while understanding a bit of theirs. I also love theory, but the vast majority of the theory I've read is useless to utilize directly in something I ultimately want to be accessible if a bit challenging. So those who really want to push language in their analysis or take relatively unpopular viewpoints are useful in this way.

I don't believe in over-analysis, but at a certain point it obfuscates more than illuminates and the overall effect reminds me of a set from my second favorite poem:

Buddy Wakefield posted:

Dillon’s drug of choice was more
So he took more
And more
Until the day he woke up
Babbling in a pool of his own traffic jam
Realizing he is killing off the best parts of himself
And claiming he could read people's skin
When he looked down at his heart flap
It read Boy, "go find your spine and ride it outta here"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hah! I really appreciate that, but I think I communicated something poorly. I have zero interest in writing like SMG, and a big problem when I first started reviewing with Sheldrake at Can't Stop the Movies is I had this tendency to ape Roger Ebert.

My interest is primarily in experimenting with language. If I'm arguing or making a point, I like trying to find common linguistic ground to convey my perspective while understanding a bit of theirs. I also love theory, but the vast majority of the theory I've read is useless to utilize directly in something I ultimately want to be accessible if a bit challenging. So those who really want to push language in their analysis or take relatively unpopular viewpoints are useful in this way.

I don't believe in over-analysis, but at a certain point it obfuscates more than illuminates and the overall effect reminds me of a set from my second favorite poem:

The nuances are important, but I don't believe there is anything obscure about saying the film is narratively identical to Guardians Of The Galaxy, down to the absent mother who secretly protects her traumatized child. For another variation on this narrative, see Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't even know who MHB was even addressing.

lmao dont listen to this clown

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

The nuances are important, but I don't believe there is anything obscure about saying the film is narratively identical to Guardians Of The Galaxy, down to the absent mother who secretly protects her traumatized child. For another variation on this narrative, see Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close.

Right, and I don't feel like you're obfuscating here as I can see the narrative broad strokes you're talking about. My point is more about negotiating the way you're talking about IT compared to, like, some of the "lol wut" responses.

The way everyone writes about movies and their respective emotional responses (or absence of writing about them) is super interesting. And I feel like I've failed as a communicator / writer if I can't find some way to reconcile different approaches in my own writing.

Kind of as a way of getting back on track, all the discussion I've had here has made it easier in the long run to rewatch IT when it comes out on DVD. Plus I'll have a few other perspectives to consider.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The movie was fine. Not great, but fine.

My biggest complaint is that the movie felt overstuffed. The scenes of the kids being kids were good, as were some of Pennywise's tricks. Georgie's disappearance and everything everything involving Bev's father made my skin crawl.

Unfortunately, there was a lot that felt underdeveloped. Mike and Richie were almost entirely tangential. The background on the town often seemed rushed or poorly explained. While I can't complain about the performances, the bullies veered in and out of the movie and there never seemed to be any logic to their actions. I never got a sense of them being anything more than a minor threat, which is weird considering the literal patricide near the end.

As much as I liked the book, I wish they had either trimmed down the edges of the story or added another hour to the running time. The kids were good. The clown was good. The sets and cinematography were excellent. The whole thing just needed more room to breathe.

E: The tower of toys and the ominous child singing was dumb and cliche.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, one of the main chains here did this little stunt during the film's premiere

https://twitter.com/Cinepolis/status/908526198954844160

And amusingly, where the film got rated R in the States. Here got the equivalent of PG-15

:v:

• Locked thread