Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Phanatic posted:

No kidding, I can't even figure out what their intended use is at all.

The only thing i like about it is that you can pre-select photos to send to your phone while you're reviewing them, then they'll all be sent once you connect successfully. Everything else sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
gently caress YEAH, I just picked up a D850 after work. 6th store I called had one for their display model that they weren't aware of until they checked for me. Take that credit card! :black101:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nice! How is it? Is snap bridge functional?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

namaste faggots posted:

Nice! How is it? Is snap bridge functional?

Pretty awesome so far. I don't have a lot of high ISO images to compare against because I hate noise but from the few I did have it seems like ISO 18000 on the D850 is roughly on par with ISO 6400 with both my D7200 and D3 (I have so few images above ISO 6400 from those cameras I can't really judge higher).

I only got around to testing SnapBridge after you mentioned it, I'll say this, it shouldn't be a big achievement but... compared to WMU I just installed it, told it to connect and it connected and worked. I didn't have to screw around with disabling my wifi network or mobile data or whatever the stupid workaround I had to do with the other app to make it connect at all.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy gently caress WiFi on my d750 is so loving worthless. Glad to hear snap bridge actually works.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

6400 on the 7200 is definitely usable if you need to hit that, so an extra stop and some is definitely a good thing.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I have a D3400 how do I handle this camera in rainy conditions?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Orions Lord posted:

I have a D3400 how do I handle this camera in rainy conditions?

Bag it up.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1235782-REG/ruggard_rc_p8_rain_cover_for.html

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

My camera bag was stolen while I was traveling and I need a new zoom to replace my old 18-55 VRII kit lens. A quick look on ebay shows them selling for £70-130. Is it worth looking at say, an old 18-70 or a used 16-85 as a replacements instead?

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
The lack of VR may be an annoyance to you. Or you may not notice it at all depending on your shooting style. There's also a 18-140mm kit lens that could maybe be found cheaply on craisglist or eBay, but it'll definitely go for more than the 18-55.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Turns out: Nikon is sexist
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/14/technology/nikon-camera-campaign-men-only/index.html

quote:

Nikon had 32 men and 0 women test its new camera

The Japanese camera maker is under fire for hosting an advertising event that featured 32 professional photographers testing its new D850 camera.
One problem: All 32 photographers were men.
The absence of women was first spotted by photography blog Fstoppers.com, which sarcastically asked whether the camera was designed specifically for men.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Official r/redpill camera

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I didn't even think about it until now since macro photography seems to have become even more niche than it used to be and I haven't seen anyone talking about this use on the usual sites/YouTube but the D850 has probably most improved compared with previous Nikon's for macro work.

Resolution (both as FX and it's DX crop being on par with now with APS-C cameras)
Focus peaking
ISO performance
Electronic shutter
Tilt screen

Even moreso with >1:1 reproduction.

Especially since Nikon Cameras can't seem to use mirror lock up in tethered shooting, EFCS should be great and I remember a lot of guys on the photomacrography.net forum switched to mirrorless for focus peaking.

Time to pull out my bellows.

Edit: I meant to say the live view silent shooting mode instead of electronic shutter, both are important but the D810 already had that and the more important feature is not having to worry about mirror slap at all.

Magog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 19, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don't forget about the automatic focus stacking shooting (you still have to merge in photoshop but the shooting part is automated)

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

don't forget about the automatic focus stacking shooting (you still have to merge in photoshop but the shooting part is automated)

I knew the list I originally thought up had something else on it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just was in a store that had a unopened D850 sitting on its shelf. Wish I hadn't set a limit of at least 10% discount before I would grab one, its just so tempting.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
If I were looking at making a switch to Nikon, is there a compelling reason to choose the Nikon versions over the Sigma Art versions for the:

Sigma 12-24 over Nikon 14-24
Sigma 24 1.4 over Nikon 24 1.4
Sigma 50 1.4 over Nikon 50 1.4 or 58 1.4
Sigma 85 1.4 over Nikon 85 1.4

?

My primary concerns would be autofocus accuracy & speed, sharpness/CA, and build/durability/weathersealing. Not super concerned about weight or size, but I am wondering about if NPS membership would be a factor.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The Nikon 85 1.8 is the one to have not the 1.4.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Can you do decent astrophotography with a 35mm Nikkor prime? Spending near £200 on an 8mm fisheye for it when I live in London and will be in dark places very rarely seems dumb as gently caress.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I've tried, but on my DX with the crop factor it just wasn't worth it at all. I'd assume it wouldn't be much better on an FX. All you get is a small random patch of starry poo poo with nothing to give it context. Unless you have a really precise tripod and want to be quickly panning and spending hours cropping a panorama it's never going to produce very compelling photos, IMHO.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TheBananaKing posted:

I've tried, but on my DX with the crop factor it just wasn't worth it at all. I'd assume it wouldn't be much better on an FX. All you get is a small random patch of starry poo poo with nothing to give it context. Unless you have a really precise tripod and want to be quickly panning and spending hours cropping a panorama it's never going to produce very compelling photos, IMHO.
The other problem with a narrower lens is that for the equivalent long exposure you'll have stars move across a lot more pixels than with a wide-angle lens due to the rotation of the earth.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Thanks for the insights, I shall keep an eye on eBay!

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
The new Nikkor 10-20 is moderately more expensive than what you quoted for an 8mm fisheye and 8ts arguably much more versatile. I haven't tried any astrophotography with it yet but it's a great lens for the price. ($300 in the US)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have the new 10-20mm Nikkor and it's fantastic for the price. Going to some night/astro photography this winter.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Problem I have is that nice as that 10-20mm looks, isn't compatible with my body according to Nikon's website. Given that they specifically refer to firmware incompatibility, I'm assuming this is some kind of new wizardry or a cynical 'gently caress you, old camera.'

e: new autofocus system, apparently, which means it wouldn't even work for manual focus only. If I could use it in manual only I could at least justify the purchase as 'well I'll buy a newer camera in the future.'

Theophany fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 26, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Lol the new 10-20 doesn't have a vr switch to disable vr

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Lol the new 10-20 doesn't have a vr switch to disable vr

It's a cheap lens, it doesn't have a lot of things :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unusual omission, but the only time I ever really turn VR Off is when is when it's on a tripod and I'm not utterly convinced that's really an issue these days. Keeps things simple I guess.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Is it possible to deactivate it via the menu? Perhaps it is a mix of cheaping out and not wanting people to disable it on accident.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On specific newer bodies it is in the menu somewhere.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Drunk me bought me a present last night.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GB5X0TG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Drunk me seems to think this is actually just an other-branded Samyang, which come with high praise as a budget fisheye. Sober me knows that Vivitar lenses aren't known for the sharpness and quality they once were, but what's the consensus on this?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Theophany posted:

Drunk me bought me a present last night.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GB5X0TG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Drunk me seems to think this is actually just an other-branded Samyang, which come with high praise as a budget fisheye. Sober me knows that Vivitar lenses aren't known for the sharpness and quality they once were, but what's the consensus on this?

That is indeed a rebranded Samyang fish. Stop it to 5.6 or 8, set the focus ring to 1M and fire away

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Excellent! It's arrived and feels like a quality item in terms of weight, feel on the action on the focus and exposure rings. Added bonus was that it was £40 cheaper than the Samyang CS, which was why I was worried it would be an expensive potato.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So let's say I'm in the market for a new 50mm lens for Nikon full-frame. I've got the old 50mm f1/8D that dates from the D70 era. Fine as far as it goes, cheap as water, tiny and light. But I want something that's better across the board: sharper, less distortion and aberration, etc. And I want something with autofocus, so that's the Zeiss glass out of the running.

Is the Sigma Art the clear winner? I've seen customer reviews talking of problems with focus calibration and catching focus in low-light situations. Is some of the current Nikon glass a better bet? I'd also love to not have a GIANT lens for the 50mm, but that seems to be the way a lot of the Sigma/Zeiss lenses just are.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 29, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The Nikon 50mm f1.8 g is very good and very cheap

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

thetzar posted:

So let's say I'm in the market for a new 50mm lens for Nikon full-frame. I've got the old 50mm f1/8D that dates from the D70 era. Fine as far as it goes, cheap as water, tiny and light. But I want something that's better across the board: sharper, less distortion and aberration, etc. And I want something with autofocus, so that's the Zeiss glass out of the running.

Is the Sigma Art the clear winner? I've seen customer reviews talking of problems with focus calibration and catching focus in low-light situations. Is some of the current Nikon glass a better bet? I'd also love to not have a GIANT lens for the 50mm, but that seems to be the way a lot of the Sigma/Zeiss lenses just are.

If you want significantly better quality, your selection isn't huge - Zeiss and Sigma are about the only options out there with high performing 50's, and they both sacrifice size/weight/price to do so. Alternatively you can get the Nikon 1.8G which is a step up from the 1.8D, and I'd argue is a much better value proposition for most people.

If you ask me, I reckon both Canon and Nikon are due some new higher resolving options for their 50's. They're slowly refreshing their ageing line-ups now (Canon is ahead of the game so far with their 35mm and upcoming 85mm), and my guess is they won't let their standard primes languish for much longer.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 1, 2017

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Also don't get the Nikon 50mm 1.4G. Not worth it. (I own one. I don't like it.)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

That's with all the Nikon 1.4's though. The 1.8's are better.

Except for the 105 and the 58

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I've been drinking again. Is the Tamron Adaptall 2 200mm f/3.5 any good as a pissing around telephoto? Maybe for the odd full moon shot? Or am I better hunting around for a much longer focal length prime? I'm thinking cheap out for now with old lenses I can use an adapter with and once I settle on something I like I can spend more than £50. The added benefit is I'm forcing myself to learn how to manually focus a lens properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Is there a reason there's no AF lock (hold) mode on my D3300? You can do AE hold but not AF. Seems silly to not have that on purpose. Would make zone focusing much easier.