Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Saladin Rising posted:

A big part of it is the red-white-black color scheme. The Nazis used and this ruined that scheme, and pretty much tainted it for the foreseeable future.

Also black uniforms with silver trim, which look awesome but can never be used by a respectable military again (many US police forces have taken up that slack, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I keep going back and forth with whether Jeff Sessions or Neil Gorsuch is the most dangerous thing Trump has done

So far Sessions is in the lead. We'll have to revisit this later, though the double whammy of Trump and Gorsuch does seem to have spooked Kennedy into not retiring for the time being. So the true damage of Gorsuch is going to be hanging in the balance until the next vacancy happens.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I took a quick look at what the Juggalos were protesting, and what they are facing is kinda hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTNLtTOLCuw

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

"Steve" Miller is just you know who in clownface.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Deteriorata”" post="“476448709”"]
I’m sure they’re harmless, but they sound just like the Manson family and it creeps me out. I’m glad they’re happy, but I’ve heard all I want to from them.
[/quote]

You recognize your prejudice, but I question the direction you're taking it. I bashed juggalos a good deal in the past, but I regret that and think it's worth becoming more comfortable with those we find ideologically agreeable even if their cultures are different. Otherwise, that's how you turn NIMBY.

Ague Proof posted:

"Steve" Miller is just you know who in clownface.

You mean it's not Maurice the space cowboy?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Been seeing a little bit of frustration at the promotion of Medicare for All, in light of the newest push to repeal the ACA. While I agree that the failure of the skinny repeal as the definitive moment of victory was premature, I don't really consider the recent calls for MfA to inappropriate in light of these upcoming fifteen days. If anything, I feel it would help make all the more stark what it is the GOP actually intends with bills like Graham-Cassidy, AHCA and so forth. I mean, sure, Republican bloodlust ought to be obvious by now, but an earnest policy alternative grounds that particular quirk of the party more solidly, in my opinion.

Honestly I'm just trying to imagine the best way to keep this awful, awful bill from going forward without just yelling at people from Alaska to put pressure on Murkowski.

Gyges posted:

So far Sessions is in the lead. We'll have to revisit this later, though the double whammy of Trump and Gorsuch does seem to have spooked Kennedy into not retiring for the time being. So the true damage of Gorsuch is going to be hanging in the balance until the next vacancy happens.

It feels like the best time to have dealt with this was the Bush nomination of Alito. Gorsuch is a robot obviously subservient to the sinister forces that drive the GOP, and is a very sterile kind of evil. Alito knows exactly what he's doing, and the circumstances really suggests to me that the filibuster should have been invoked back then. I don't know, they're all poo poo but that felt like a turning point.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol madchild still has a career

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Speaking of magnets, Maddow did some reporting on some updated details of those weird "Sonic attacks" in Cuba.

That's probably one of the weirder crazy stories I keep forgetting about with all the other stuff going on

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I haven't heard about the Sonic attacks yet or maybe not by that name.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

namaste faggots posted:

Lol madchild still has a career

Now that he can cross the border again.

I'm wondering why Onyx only gets 10 minutes.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

_aaron posted:

This was awesome. I haven't seen Feynman speak much, but I think I should probably look for some more.

If you haven't read his autobiographical book, "Surely You Must Be Joking, Mr. Feynman" you're in for a treat. The guy had a very interesting and fun life, it's a collection of anecdotes along with his famous speech about Cargo Cult Science towards the end. It's great but also a very easy and entertaining read.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

WrenP-Complete posted:

sonic is real
and he's out for blood

okay, not really

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Guess.

Nothing.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

I took a quick look at what the Juggalos were protesting, and what they are facing is kinda hosed up.

I'm having a really hard time disliking these people, but I also really feel like I'm supposed to for some reason.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

but I also really feel like I'm supposed to for some reason.

low effort classism

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thousands dead, maimed as sonic mania sweeps the nation

empty whippet box posted:

I'm having a really hard time disliking these people, but I also really feel like I'm supposed to for some reason.

It's probably time to admit that the people who just want to do meth in a field and drink faygo aren't really a problem.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

highme posted:

Now that he can cross the border again.

I'm wondering why Onyx only gets 10 minutes.

How long is slam?

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Rigel posted:

Who could expect in the Year of Our Lord, 2017 A.D., that Teen Vogue, Buzzfeed and the Juggalos would end up guiding the political landscape for how to interact with the youth and populist demographic? That video alone introduced legal and political concepts better than the majority of media out there right now. I can't wait for history books to explain this.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm kinda conflicted on the Juggalo stuff.

I knew/lived with a poo poo load of juggalos when I was younger. Some of them were cool, but most of them were either tweakers, or reformed tweakers. I dated a couple of them (look, I was pretty trashy myself at the time). While girls were (for the most part) treated as equals, the dudes weren't exactly the best when it came to consent, and goddamn did some of them not use condoms enough.

All of us shoplifted on the regular. lots of drugs. Not great parenting from the ones with kids. Lots of drinking/drugs around the kids.

In their (and my) defense, we were all from lovely homes, grew up poor, little education, HS dropouts were common. Most of us just wanted to make a new family of our choosing.

And I think that's still the case for almost all juggalos. lovely homelife + wanting to be accepted into a group as you are. And as for being poor/uneducated, that's where the shoplifting came in (mostly it was food, clothes, and razor blade cartridges we'd steal). And life as a poor young adult with no family support, no insurance, and (if you're working) working a poo poo job honestly kinda sucks, and that's where drugs come in to make life tolerable.

So yeah, on one hand, I know a lot juggalos do a lot of illegal things in groups, which technically DOES make them a gang, but I also know that they do them because poverty loving sucks, and as humans, we need to feel accepted and have membership in groups.

Maybe we should you know, do more to combat the effects of familial stress on kids/teenagers, and combat the effects of poverty stress on young adults? I don't necessarily want ICP fans to be the catalyst for that, as the vast majority of their fans are white, and then it's just like "this isn't a problem until white people are affected", you know?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Thousands dead, maimed as sonic mania sweeps the nation

It's probably time to admit that the people who just want to do meth in a field and drink faygo aren't really a problem.

Hey, I relate to that. It's not my aesthetic but when I really think about it I don't have any good reason whatsoever to hate on juggalos. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gnossiennes posted:

I knew/lived with a poo poo load of juggalos when I was younger. Some of them were cool, but most of them were either tweakers, or reformed tweakers. I dated a couple of them (look, I was pretty trashy myself at the time). While girls were (for the most part) treated as equals, the dudes weren't exactly the best when it came to consent, and goddamn did some of them not use condoms enough.

All of us shoplifted on the regular. lots of drugs. Not great parenting from the ones with kids. Lots of drinking/drugs around the kids.

In their (and my) defense, we were all from lovely homes, grew up poor, little education, HS dropouts were common. Most of us just wanted to make a new family of our choosing.

And I think that's still the case for almost all juggalos. lovely homelife + wanting to be accepted into a group as you are. And as for being poor/uneducated, that's where the shoplifting came in (mostly it was food, clothes, and razor blade cartridges we'd steal). And life as a poor young adult with no family support, no insurance, and (if you're working) working a poo poo job honestly kinda sucks, and that's where drugs come in to make life tolerable.

So yeah, on one hand, I know a lot juggalos do a lot of illegal things in groups, which technically DOES make them a gang, but I also know that they do them because poverty loving sucks, and as humans, we need to feel accepted and have membership in groups.

Maybe we should you know, do more to combat the effects of familial stress on kids/teenagers, and combat the effects of poverty stress on young adults? I don't necessarily want ICP fans to be the catalyst for that, as the vast majority of their fans are white, and then it's just like "this isn't a problem until white people are affected", you know?

Yeah, we went through this poo poo with the SiFunkalos in the 60's but really the world was a better place after LBJ learned we could press them all down paper thin and print millions more bibles and hymnals with a positive environmental impact.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Gnossiennes”" post="“476450232”"]
I’m kinda conflicted on the Juggalo stuff.

I knew/lived with a poo poo load of juggalos when I was younger. Some of them were cool, but most of them were either tweakers, or reformed tweakers. I dated a couple of them (look, I was pretty trashy myself at the time). While girls were (for the most part) treated as equals, the dudes weren’t exactly the best when it came to consent, and goddamn did some of them not use condoms enough.

And I think that’s still the case for almost all juggalos. lovely homelife + wanting to be accepted into a group as you are. And as for being poor/uneducated, that’s where the shoplifting came in (mostly it was food, clothes, and razor blade cartridges we’d steal). And life as a poor young adult with no family support, no insurance, and (if you’re working) working a poo poo job honestly kinda sucks, and that’s where drugs come in to make life tolerable.

Maybe we should you know, do more to combat the effects of familial stress on kids/teenagers, and combat the effects of poverty stress on young adults? I don’t necessarily want ICP fans to be the catalyst for that, as the vast majority of their fans are white, and then it’s just like “this isn’t a problem until white people are affected”, you know?
[/quote]

It seems like you look down on your former self. Do you think there's a possibility selection-bias came into play, in that you didn't associate with the juggalos who weren't into or necessarily accepting of the behaviors you engaged in, and now you're taking that smaller group of juggalos that were part of your social circle and trying to claim the subset is the same or a more-significant portion of the whole?

That shoplifting doesn't sound condemnable to me, sounds more like survival.

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, we went through this poo poo with the SiFunkalos in the 60's but really the world was a better place after LBJ learned we could press them all down paper thin and print millions more bibles and hymnals with a positive environmental impact.

I'm sorry, but what are the SiFunkalos? I promise i tried google, bing, and wikipedia.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

This is legit one of the best and most honest looks into the juggalo world out there. If you have 20 minutes and want to gain a decent insight into what juggalo culture is all about, this brief documentary is a great place to start.

Edit: Warning! NSFW owing to tons of profanity and occasional casual full nudity.

Double Edit: Posted correct video.

https://vimeo.com/29589320

thanks, now I don't have to find and post anything :v:

but maybe I will anyway

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'm sorry, but what are the SiFunkalos? I promise i tried google, bing, and wikipedia.

They were the unholy followers of Reverend Simon and Garfunkle the Popadelic.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Ahahaha that's awesome

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RandomBlue posted:

It's justified to be weary of people who keep going on about how darkness is their friend.

Unless they were talking about Charlie Murphy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

[quote="“Gyges”" post="“476450549”"]
It’s justified to be weary of people who keep going on about how darkness is their friend.

Unless they were talking about Charlie Murphy.
[/quote]

And their recipes suck

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gnossiennes posted:

I think it's important to realize that you should meet people where they are and not where you want them to be. These people aren't perfect, are poor, are neglected, and they became part of a group that definitely wasn't perfect, but it's not for perfect people anyway. A lot of these people would've been on their own otherwise or got mixed up with worse groups.

So you seem to have gotten away from that, and that's fine, but not everyone does, and getting away from this may actually mean backsliding into something worse.

You work with what materials you have.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

Every time I see these I'm sad that the Juggalawyer doesn't show up in a nice suit and face paint.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 16, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just popping in to say that people being forced to shoplift to survive is more of a condemnation of the society they live in rather than a demonstration of personal moral failings. People, especially children, should be provided enough food to survive. I can't believe this is considered a radical statement.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Trumpthread has been full of a lot of poo poo but I will not have it guilt trip me into feeling sorry for mocking juggalos.

If that happened, then I'd be the bleeding heart liberal boogyman Tucker Carlson uses to scare elderly viewers at night.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

AriadneThread posted:

sonic is real
and he's out for blood

okay, not really

Well that's fuckin weird

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just popping in to say that people being forced to shoplift to survive is more of a condemnation of the society they live in rather than a demonstration of personal moral failings. People, especially children, should be provided enough food to survive. I can't believe this is considered a radical statement.

It doesn't change the questionable consent stuff mentioned, which is why I didn't disagree with the sentiments about the people they knew entirely.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think it's important to realize that you should meet people where they are and not where you want them to be. These people aren't perfect, are poor, are neglected, and they became part of a group that definitely wasn't perfect, but it's not for perfect people anyway. A lot of these people would've been on their own otherwise or got mixed up with worse groups.

So you seem to have gotten away from that, and that's fine, but not everyone does, and getting away from this may actually mean backsliding into something worse.

You work with what materials you have.

oh trust me, I absolutely know that. I was lucky as hell that I had the opportunity to escape. Most of them did not have that privilege. and yeah, many of them went on to worse places.

I got really lucky.

Grassy Knowles posted:

It seems like you look down on your former self. Do you think there's a possibility selection-bias came into play, in that you didn't associate with the juggalos who weren't into or necessarily accepting of the behaviors you engaged in, and now you're taking that smaller group of juggalos that were part of your social circle and trying to claim the subset is the same or a more-significant portion of the whole?

That shoplifting doesn't sound condemnable to me, sounds more like survival.

Oh, I definitely look down on my former self. I have a lot of shame from that time because I have a lot of trauma from that time.

I'm a little confused about "juggalos who weren't into or necessarily accepting of the behaviors you engaged in," -- nah, they were super accepting. I wasn't accepting of some of the behaviors my friends had, though -- eg drinking, toking, rolling, and tripping around their small kids, and the aforementioned consent/rape issues (compounded by drug use).

am I extrapolating? Probably, yeah, but this was a wide social circle in a smallish city in the south. I moved away and briefly ran into some juggalos where I was living then, and they were similar, although I didn't stick around to see how similar.

So, overall: they were accepting people, albeit kinda racist and definitely homophobic. And while I'm sure not every juggalo is a lovely parent, I met a whole lot of them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

If that happened, then I'd be the bleeding heart liberal boogyman Tucker Carlson uses to scare elderly viewers at night.

Become the fear instead the Boomer's heart and bury them under it.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I agree -- the things we were shoplifting weren't done for any reason than "we need this and we can't afford it."

I don't condemn the juggalo folk I knew near as much as I condemn the systems in place that failed them. Eg child abuse swept under the rug by schools and cps, unforgiving school environments, and a total lack of life stability growing up and having to take on stress/burdens from their families, way way too young.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Embrace it and join us

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

[quote="“Gnossiennes”" post="“476451027”"]
oh trust me, I absolutely know that. I was lucky as hell that I had the opportunity to escape. Most of them did not have that privilege. and yeah, many of them went on to worse places.

I got really lucky.

Oh, I definitely look down on my former self. I have a lot of shame from that time because I have a lot of trauma from that time.

I’m a little confused about “juggalos who weren’t into or necessarily accepting of the behaviors you engaged in,” — nah, they were super accepting. I wasn’t accepting of some of the behaviors my friends had, though — eg drinking, toking, rolling, and tripping around their small kids, and the aforementioned consent/rape issues (compounded by drug use).

am I extrapolating? Probably, yeah, but this was a wide social circle in a smallish city in the south. I moved away and briefly ran into some juggalos where I was living then, and they were similar, although I didn’t stick around to see how similar.

So, overall: they were accepting people, albeit kinda racist and definitely homophobic. And while I’m sure not every juggalo is a lovely parent, I met a whole lot of them.
[/quote]

All I was saying is that you probably were shown more of the negative aspects in others because they saw them in you as well, so it perpetuated, and because the juggalos who were less interested in those activities simply decided not to be around while you did them. Not trying to say I see it better than you, just asking some of the questions I find useful to ask about my own past behaviors.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gnossiennes posted:

I got really lucky.

Glad you got out of it. Not everyone succeeds, but it seems that you did. At least in this case. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

All I was saying is that you probably were shown more of the negative aspects in others because they saw them in you as well, so it perpetuated, and because the juggalos who were less interested in those activities simply decided not to be around while you did them. Not trying to say I see it better than you, just asking some of the questions I find useful to ask about my own past behaviors.

It could be, but this wasn't a very big city (80k?). We probably knew the vast majority of juggalos in our age range. Sure, maybe there were a few pockets of juggalos with perfectly normal family lives and/or totally sober, but I don't think I met any of them.

Trust me, I've been in therapy long enough to question/work through past behaviors and situations.

For real though, if you want something that preys big time on young broken kids, let me tell you about magkids and the glamorous life you can lead as a door to door magazine salesperson. It's a pretty horrifying thing, actually.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Glad you got out of it. Not everyone succeeds, but it seems that you did. At least in this case. :)

Yeah, I ended up alright. :v

I got out around when I turned 20, so pretty young still, and my life's been pretty good ever since. marriage, college, left the south, working, came out as trans this year.

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 16, 2017

• Locked thread