Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Aside from the dumb Korn song, Daniel Licht did a pretty good job for the soundtrack for Downpour with a couple of the tracks being the only thing I liked about the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk9bnJnHMIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJcvvnGbKs

Of course it doesn't compare to Akira Yamaoka's stuff in the rest of the series, but then, what could?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I think the Suffering games came out recently on GoG, actually. Yeah, here:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_suffering

Does the USAF still own the rights to the franchise? I'd heard rumors years ago that they'd ended up in some ridiculous situation like that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Marshal Radisic posted:

Does the USAF still own the rights to the franchise? I'd heard rumors years ago that they'd ended up in some ridiculous situation like that.
USAF as in the United States Air Force?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was a Midway game, so I can only imagine some oddity with Midway being chopped into 800 pieces upon bankruptcy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
There's a bunch of great old games that are owned by insurance companies and poo poo that'll never do anything with it.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

USAF as in the United States Air Force?
Yep, the guys with the planes. I did some quick googling and as it turns out, The Suffering was one of three games that were made available by the USAF as free downloads about eight years ago, the other two being Area 51 and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I wonder who bought the rights for Dr Muto...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night Dive has pulled miracles but settling No One Lives Forever may trigger the rapture. Fox and Activision shrugged their shoulders but WB put their foot down, a game they have nothing to do with but they own Monolith.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

al-azad posted:

Night Dive has pulled miracles but settling No One Lives Forever may trigger the rapture. Fox and Activision shrugged their shoulders but WB put their foot down, a game they have nothing to do with but they own Monolith.

We'll never see a re-release of Aliens vs Predator 2 for PC for the same reason - Fox owns the IP, and WB owns Monolith.

Then again the Predator was a DLC character in Mortal Kombat X, so who knows?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
How is Oxenfree? It's free on xbox this month.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hanales posted:

I love it. The dialogue and tone bears some similarities to Life is Strange, but it goes much deeper into the weird and creepy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TEW was decent. I'd say I enjoyed a solid 70% of it. If they can hammer out the 30% of dull poo poo I'll get the sequel day 1. Some personal highlights

All of chapter 12
All of chapter 9, Ruvik wasn't that difficult to avoid
The game actually had a good sewer level with a sweet boss at the end
Monster design was great all around
The stealth sections that give you enough leeway to gently caress with enemies. I like navigating traps when I can actually see them. It reminded me of my favorite parts of The Last of Us where you're just throwing bottles at dudes then stabbing them.
Every arena section. The combat is enjoyable when you're given enough room to actually maneuver

Remove some of the awful chases, trial and error gimmick rooms, and loving ENEMY GRABS JESUS CHRIST and you've got a strong sequel.

edit: Also, get rid of weapon sway. There's no worse feeling as a player than missing a shot I should've hit because the cursor moved 2 pixels over. This is fine with scoped rifles but every gun should be RE4 laser pointer style.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 17, 2017

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

hanales posted:

Fantastic. It's only 6ish hours to beat, but that works to it's benefit cause there's some really clever call backs to early cutscenes near the end, and there's new game+ stuff that changes the story. Plus the actual story takes place over a six hour time period so it feels really natural.

It's obv a bit of a commitment, but I suggest setting aside six hours one day and just shooting through one playthrough in single session

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Fantastic. It's only 6ish hours to beat, but that works to it's benefit cause there's some really clever call backs to early cutscenes near the end, and there's new game+ stuff that changes the story. Plus the actual story takes place over a six hour time period so it feels really natural.

It's obv a bit of a commitment, but I suggest setting aside six hours one day and just shooting through one playthrough in single session

I actually did this last night. I guess this would be a walking simulator?

I enjoyed it, and the story, I don't know if I find the gameplay style engaging enough to do it again. Neat story though.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

hanales posted:

I actually did this last night. I guess this would be a walking simulator?

I enjoyed it, and the story, I don't know if I find the gameplay style engaging enough to do it again. Neat story though.

It's just a genre distinction, but not at all. Walking Simulators are first-person games with zero puzzles or combat, and typically feature completely minimal player interaction besides walking, if any at all. Dialogue choices alone are enough to take this game out of the walking simulator category.

Oxenfree is a nonstandard point and click adventure game. If you thought the gameplay wasn't engaging enough, I think you would hate an actual walking simulator.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

the black husserl posted:

It's just a genre distinction, but not at all. Walking Simulators are first-person games with zero puzzles or combat, and typically feature completely minimal player interaction besides walking, if any at all. Dialogue choices alone are enough to take this game out of the walking simulator category.

Oxenfree is a nonstandard point and click adventure game. If you thought the gameplay wasn't engaging enough, I think you would hate an actual walking simulator.

Ahh ok good to know.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s so point and click adventure means a bit more than this game, which is why I assumed it was something else. I think I would definitely hate an actual walking simulator!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Walking simulator was originally a derisive term to decry a perceived lack of gameplay but has since come to describe any game that involves exploring environments with little to no emphasis on combat or other skill-based mechanics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbf it was originally coined for Dear Esther, a game where literally all you do is walk while someone occasionally reads out a few random diary passages.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

Tbf it was originally coined for Dear Esther, a game where literally all you do is walk while someone occasionally reads out a few random diary passages.

I thought Gone Home had that distinction, giving walking simulator the slurred inference for no reason.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

No, Gone Home was just the first time people objected to the term's application IIRC. And I understand you had to like locate and inspect objects or something in that so it's not as egregious as some of the other entries in the genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty sure it was The Path that started it, a 5 minute game where you literally walk a straight line. Although maybe Dear Esther popularized it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

Pretty sure it was The Path that started it, a 5 minute game where you literally walk a straight line. Although maybe Dear Esther popularized it.

You never went in the forest in The Path?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Gone Home was the first big "mainstream" walking simulator, so its where the term first really took root. It started as a slur, but people outside of 4chan found they liked the style of gameplay so it ended up being a genre descriptor.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the black husserl posted:

so basically Myst

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

al-azad posted:

That same (bad) dev team made The Graveyard even before that, it was that boring pretentious game where you're an old lady walking around a black and white graveyard until you sit down on a bench and die.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

That same (bad) dev team made The Graveyard even before that, it was that boring pretentious game where you're an old lady walking around a black and white graveyard until you sit down on a bench and die.

Hey now.

She only died if you bought the game instead of playing the freeware version.

Even then, it was a random chance whether she'd die or not.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

so basically Myst

??? Myst is nothing but puzzles.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The point of The Path, pretentious though it was, was to go off the path and see all the weird poo poo you could see and then get to the hosed up Grandma's house at the end.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

The point of The Path, pretentious though it was, was to go off the path and see all the weird poo poo you could see and then get to the hosed up Grandma's house at the end.

Yup, as much of a pain in the rear end as they made it, it could get rather creepy.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
It was so Hot Topic it was painful, but it was aight for a dollar.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Echoing the love for Oxenfree. I had to clock the new Dishonoured over the weekend otherwise I would have tried to have cleared Oxenfree in one go. Really looking forward to finishing the story off tonight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

1stGear posted:

Gone Home was the first big "mainstream" walking simulator, so its where the term first really took root. It started as a slur, but people outside of 4chan found they liked the style of gameplay so it ended up being a genre descriptor.

For whatever reason people are hesitant to consider any type of "thinking about stuff" to equal gameplay, but that's what Gone Home is all about. You inspect objects and text in the environment and try to piece together a story that's scattered out of order. The gameplay comes from the reactions and inferences the player makes in a way that would not be as impactful in any other visual medium. In a sense there's even a hidden skillcheck in place because some people are actually really, really bad at interpreting stuff. For as much as people complained about GH being "not really a game" it uses the interactability of the medium to far greater effect than say pressing F to pay respects.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Gone Home really stuck in my craw because it was always sold to me as a horror game about a stormy night and an abandoned, ransacked house

When the game came out and it was absolutely not that(because it's actually a story about one of your family members coming out of the closet) I was a little pissed; I'm not sure what its marketing campaign was originally, how forward were they with "this is not a scary game, this is a game about sad people you never meet"?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Gone Home really stuck in my craw because it was always sold to me as a horror game about a stormy night and an abandoned, ransacked house

When the game came out and it was absolutely not that(because it's actually a story about one of your family members coming out of the closet) I was a little pissed; I'm not sure what its marketing campaign was originally, how forward were they with "this is not a scary game, this is a game about sad people you never meet"?

Not to mention that it released at a twenty dollar price point for a 1-2 hour game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

I thought that it was largely people who thought it was going to be a horror game and that one fake trailer a goon made that advertised it as a horror game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kulkasha posted:

Not to mention that it released at a twenty dollar price point for a 1-2 hour game.

I beat it in under a minute

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jukebox Hero posted:

Gone Home was never presented as a horror game by the devs so sorry someone lied to you I guess?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat it in under a minute

Ok but what about the game?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Gone Home annoyed me because it's about a girl burglarizing her family's home and running off and it's supposed to be heartwarming because ~*~young love~*~

gently caress off, they won't last a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok but what about the game?

That too