Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hate the hex+blademaster combo. Poof your hero is now super slow and can't use any spells or abilities and now there's a superhigh dps hero who ran invisible through everything and is now going crit, crit, crit, crit aaaand your hero is dead lol. :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
Kodo #1

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Poil posted:

I hate the hex+blademaster combo. Poof your hero is now super slow and can't use any spells or abilities and now there's a superhigh dps hero who ran invisible through everything and is now going crit, crit, crit, crit aaaand your hero is dead lol. :rant:

Hex is so good, I don't think any other disable lasts that long (except sleep which you can just attack out of). If Blizzard was still patching this game they should have given better ways to get dispel early for all races. Some games I watch hinge on who gets that troll priest and/or who's able to kill it off.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

schmitty9800 posted:

Hex is so good, I don't think any other disable lasts that long (except sleep which you can just attack out of). If Blizzard was still patching this game they should have given better ways to get dispel early for all races. Some games I watch hinge on who gets that troll priest and/or who's able to kill it off.

On its own it's not too broken, but with the blademaster combo it just breaks everything. Reducing duration on heroes to more like a stun would do wonders, since it basically is a stun.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Hero duration is already reduced.... the ability to level 1 hex an ogre magic creep feels like it lasts for an hour

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I meant reduced to the same level as stormbolt or warstomp (uhhh!).

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

OhFunny posted:

I feel the opposite. I though the old BW pixels hold up better despite the blurriness compared to Warcraft 3's early 2000s 3D graphics.

yeah, WC3 isn't just dated, it's so lo-fi that it's impossible to tell what the hell's going on sometimes

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Zorodius posted:

yeah, WC3 isn't just dated, it's so lo-fi that it's impossible to tell what the hell's going on sometimes

If they just updated the engine with modern lighting and shadows and native non-stretched widescreen support I think it would look fine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zorodius posted:

DARKTERROR

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

A lot of the hero names in that game were pretty great if I remember.

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
Kesha Wildbarley

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

JAINA PROUDMOORE

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I always liked how a lot of those random hero names went on to become minor characters and bosses in WoW.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Malfurion Stormrage just means bad angry storm angry

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Malfurion Stormrage just means bad angry storm angry

It's kind of funny that he's a chill hippie.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's like when you call a big guy "tiny"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

It's kind of funny that he's a chill hippie.

he's totally not though; dude was a general and a major-league warrior who basically spent his whole life fighting demons until going to sleep for a long time, then fought demons and orcs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zorodius posted:

It's chaotic because this is a team game but I can figure out most of what's going on.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Introducing the Warcraft Grand Campaign
Eregos's suggestions for playing all Warcraft singleplayer missions sequentially
(As for acquiring the older games, I don’t have any advice.)

Warcraft I
There are two basic approaches. The first is to actually play Warcraft 1 via emulation like Dosbox, which is pretty simple to get running but you’ll probably want to have the wiki handy as a reference for commands like ‘cycles=10000’, what I seem to remember running WC1 at and should probably go into the config file. But be warned – Warcraft 1 is only for the hardest core amongst us, as it features even less automation than SC1 and terrible AI. You can select only 4 units at once, and control groups don’t exist. As mice in 1994 often had only one button, rightclicking doesn’t exist and even the move command must always be hotkeyed. Bandboxing requires the control key. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the original experience and challenge.

The second approach is to play Lord Perenoldell’s complete Remakes of the Warcraft I Human and Orc campaigns. These go in your custom campaign Warcraft III Frozen Throne folder. Note the 2017 WC3 patch may moves the custom campaign folder to My Documents on Windows Since I’m hardcore I beat them all on ‘Hard’ and completed the bonus objectives (aside from 12th missions which don’t really count), but this is quite tough and in the case of Human 12 damned near impossible. For more normal players I’d recommend sticking to ‘normal’ difficulty and doing your best with the bonuses. Cheating is also an option if strictly necessary. My biggest complaint is the lack of ability to implement the road system WC1 used, but beyond that, it’s a very good remake. The high difficulty and at times frustrating mechanics are also authentic to the original. I’d recommend youtubing the original cinematics at appropriate junctures though. Given the choice, I’d pick the Lord Perenoldell remake for another playthrough because actually playing the Warcraft 3 client and having basic automation brings down the incessant repetition to such a more manageable level. Whichever version you choose, you’ll soon discover ranged units are extremely good, and catapults are super units.

Warcraft II
By far the best option here is to simply play the fully patched Warcraft II: Battle.net edition, patch 2.02 released May 2001. Can verify it runs perfectly on Windows 10 without emulation or special compatibility settings. I recommend using something like a gaming keyboard, autohotkey or other software to rebind some keybindings, just having a few commands like build peon, bloodlust and heal bound differently (Wc2 doesn’t have bindable hotkeys normally) really turbocharged my most recent playthrough. Even the longer, harder Beyond the Dark Portal missions were smoother and more manageable, never had to slow the gamepeed more than 2 notches. Warcraft II really is a blast and actually faster paced that Warcraft III. IMHO The generally correct gamespeed is 1 notch below maximum. 2 Notches down is too slow. Automation and interface are simpler than Warcraft III, but vastly more bearable than Warcraft I.

Warcraft III
I recommend binding to Grid hotkeys (unless you’ve learned everything by heart already) using a program like Warkeys(newest one’s apparently missing easy ability to assign grid hotkeys, wtf. Maybe download someone else’s customkeys.txt), and downloading the 2017 patch on B.net which enables proper aspect ratio (but not widescreen unfortunately). Hard difficulty is the only difficulty. Don’t play the original prologue in Reign of Chaos – it’s deprecated. Instead play this in Frozen Throne’s Custom Campaign, whose folder the patch moves to MyDocuments.

Proper Order for the Campaigns for the best flow.
Wc1 Human (Can be Wc1 or Perenoldell’s remake): Help Azeroth push the invaders back whence they came! (Non-Canon campaign)
Wc1 Orc (Can be Wc1 or Perenoldell’s remake.): Decimate the Weak, Decadent Kingdom of Azeroth for the glory of the Horde! Doing this second lets you set up a nicer continuity for succeeding games.
Wc2 Orc (B.net edition): Continue your conquests as Orc Chieftain. (Non-Canon)
Wc2 Human (B.net edition): Stop the vile orc onslaught!
Wc2 Beyond the Dark Portal Human (B.net edition): Pursue the Orcs to their homeworld!
Wc2 Beyond the Dark Portal Orc (B.net edition): Aid Ner’Zhul in his dire mission.
Wc3 Reign of Chaos Orc Prologue (Download the original 5 mission version with restored voiceacting and launch via frozen throne’s custom campaign menu): Experience Thrall’s journey.
Wc3 Reign of Chaos Human: Guide Arthas toward True Greatness.
Wc3 Reign of Chaos Undead -> Orc -> Night Elf -> Frozen Throne Night Elf
Wc3 Frozen Throne Orc Bonus (Can go anywhere but arguably best after 2nd NE campaign): Assist the Horde’s Rebuilding and Defense.
Wc3 Frozen Throne Human -> Undead.
For anyone curious, there are a total of 141 missions in the Warcraft Grand Campaign. Additionally, the Frozen Throne Orc Campaign is the final campaign chronologically, taking place a couple years after the Undead Campaign.

While it’s not necessary for the Warcraft Grand Campaign in any way, I’ve enjoyed editing many of the Warcraft III singleplayer maps, which you can do by extracting them from the MPQ file with Ladik’s MPQ editor, then re-importing the edited versions, allowing you to seamlessly play your customized versions using the normal campaign screen. (an aside – if you want to edit ROC campaign maps, you want the 2011 version of Ladik’s MPQ editor, not the 2015 version as this version is missing a critical importation menu screen that prevents the ROC client from reading the imported map). I’ve made a bunch of changes to singleplayer maps, usually to add more difficulty, sometimes to do silly stuff like giving myself Grom Hellscream(Possessed) & Fel Orcs, a few Archimondes and multiplying the number of enemies on the map exponentially. Slaughtering huge numbers of enemies with Fel Orc Grunts is just silly fun. Especially when they have Bloodlust and Unholy Frenzy. Sure, you can accomplish the same thing with whosyourdaddy, but it’s not as satisfying. Smoothing the path to Illidan’s last base in FT UD 10 led to the most titanic battles in all of singleplayer even without giving him extra units. Kept those maps as a duplicate MPQ I rename to use. One permanent change I made was in the Orc Bonus campaign giving Rokhan Unholy Frenzy, Rexxar Bloodlust, Chen Unholy Aura and Cairne Mass Teleport as innate abilities as a way to speed up the campaigns in a way I thought was fun without being as silly as whosyourdaddy (you can’t lose anyways, and I don’t play Bonus Campaign often). Anyways, what somebody might find interesting is my change to ROC Undead 8. By default, when Kel’Thuzad’s summoning timer reaches zero Archimonde arrives and the mission ends. In my version, the alternate victory condition of eliminating all the Wizard structures is the only victory condition. When the timer reaches zero, Archimonde spawns in at level 10 as a commandable unit ready to kick some serious Wizard rear end. I found this to be much more satisfying than the mission abruptly ending, as I can dispense white hot justice onto the Wizards that just hounded me for 30 minutes. From Archimonde’s standpoint, he’s merely warming up his powers and clearing the outskirts of Dalaran, in preparation for his real strike at Dalaran and the Legion’s invasion.

One last thing: Always annoyed me using Grid Hotkeys that Garithos’s shockwave was screwed up. If you add:
[ANsh]
Tip=(|cffffcc00C|r) Shockwave - [|cffffcc00Level 1|r],(|cffffcc00C|r) Shockwave - [|cffffcc00Level 2|r],(|cffffcc00C|r) Shockwave - [|cffffcc00Level 3|r]
Researchtip=(|cffffcc00Q|r) Learn Shockwave - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]
Hotkey=C
Researchhotkey=Q
Buttonpos=1,2
Researchbuttonpos=0,0
To your customkeys.txt, then only Garithos’s shockwave will be bound to C, which on grid hotkey’s would be Devotion Aura which doesn’t need a hotkey.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Great post. Did you come across any good Warcraft 2 campaigns remade in Wc3?

edit: you*

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 14, 2017

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Great post. I want to replay War3 soon but I'm hanging out for some kind of remake/remaster announcement.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Are people still remaking everything in SC2? That could probably handle roads but on the other hand it's SC2 :shrug:

Your modified missions sound really good, is there a way to download them or would that be filez which is a bad and not cool thing?

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 16, 2017

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Some of the standalone Warcraft 2 Remakes in Warcraft 3 might be fun, but my search did not yield any complete remakes of Warcraft II in Warcraft III, there are individual maps but I wasn't really looking for those. Attempts to recreate the Warcraft II campaign were either abandoned or slowly progressing. So to replay the whole Warcraft II campaign the best option by far is the Warcraft II Battle.net edition.

I might make a small package of my maps available if there is sufficient demand, I've done a few iterations between 2011 and now, would you be interested in the completely silly versions or more the serious improvements? My modified 2011 maps are pretty much all Fel Orcs and Archimondes for maximum absurdity, with a shitton more enemy units, sometimes I didn't remove the gold cost of extra units so you have to cheat for gold to afford them. Part of the issue with sharing the maps is the added complexity of adding custom campaign maps to your MPQ, it requires using ladik's editor which isn't very hard but it is an extra step. Playing the maps standalone is possible but you lose connectivity with the rest of the campaign - your heroes start with no items, and you cannot select difficulty (seems to be normal by default).You also want to make a copy of your original MPQ and rename it. While using a custom MPQ, you will be unable to load any saved games from maps that were modified by the custom MPQ. Blizzards 2017 update did seem to overwrite my modified MPQ, so I had to re-import the modified maps I wanted but that's probably a one-time inconvenience.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 16, 2017

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I don't personally know how GOOD they are exactly but some guy on Hiveworkshop remade the Human and Orc wc2 campaigns as custom campaigns for warcraft 3. No cinematics beyond intro and campaign finales. No promises of quality. If you'd like to scrutinize them in action here's the videos I learned of their existence from. Warning: contains facecam.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He spends a lot of time complaining that the maps are poo poo and how the intended difficulty goes out the window with War3 AI which actually switch targets in fights and won't just suicide charge all their units into your prepared line if you poke their base.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If it's the remake I'm thinking of, I remember realizing that the scale of the maps is way higher in that remake than they are in WC2. In short, the maps are bigger, but unit size and things like sight and attack range did not increase to compensate. Resulted in, among other things, buildings that were attackable from the shore in WC2 being out of reach in the remake.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Interesting at least to me, judging from the map files Lord Perenoldell is actually an Italian. IIRC that's the first time I've played any kind of game made solely by an Italian.

I might try that War2 remake. I'm trying to remember if I saw that in my search and mentally dismissed it because it wasn't well reviewed or if I never saw it at all.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 26, 2017

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

OhFunny posted:

I feel the opposite. I though the old BW pixels hold up better despite the blurriness compared to Warcraft 3's early 2000s 3D graphics.

The Zerg looked a million times better in SC1, compared to both SC:R and SC2. Their buildings especially, they were much more.. Nasty and alive to look at. The new style's way too cartoony to have the same effect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They're all purple in SC2 for some reason. Ultralisks are downright cute.

Banelings are cool at least.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-2/diablo-2-warcraft-3-remaster-blizzcon

So one one's mentioned this here or in the D2 thread, but in regards to the Warcraft 3 Remaster Blizzard wants to improve the map pool and rebalance the factions in multiplayer first.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've said it before (in this very thread) but I will read unlimited amounts of posts reflecting on WC3's multiplayer balance and meta. Unlike Brood War I've never really read up on its high-level multiplayer scene.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's still crazy to me that there was ever a pro wc3 scene considering how poorly balanced it was. at least with brood war they could balance with maps.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Orc Blademasters are annoying little shits that like to aim my peasants!.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WC3 is a perfect special child of a game, but having recently played some custom games I really think they need to update the map editor/engine so that the system doesn't just lock units in place if there are greater than 50 units walking around.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's still crazy to me that there was ever a pro wc3 scene considering how poorly balanced it was. at least with brood war they could balance with maps.

There still is a pro scene, and all 4 races have been considered the strongest within the last year or so despite no balance/map pool changes just due to changing meta and especially a few new undeads coming on the scene, so it's probably a lot better balanced than you think it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

likely big fish in a small pond syndrome at this point.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Although it is definitely a smaller scene, and the players are performing less consistently over all, it's mostly made up of old pros and in their big tourney games they play better than they ever did previously. The balance may not be Starcraft levels, but there are no other asymmetric RTS that come close balance wise.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Having 4 such distinct factions is very hard to balance, exponentially harder than balancing with only 3. Off the top of my head I can't think of another RTS which has 4 or more unique factions that is even remotely balanced. In that regard I think WC3 is very good as depending on the meta all of the factions have been considered OP at points, regardless of patches. The only real balance issue that has consistently popped up is Orc vs UD, which is mainly an issue with Blademaster, Hex and Raiders somewhat negating the Undead hero synergy advantages that makes traditional armies like mass Fiends work.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I like how having to rebalance the 4 races and heroes for high level competitive play and also creating a bunch of new maps that the user base will embrace is an equal, is not easier, task than figuring out a way to stop botting in Diablo 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Mahatma-Squid posted:

There still is a pro scene, and all 4 races have been considered the strongest within the last year or so despite no balance/map pool changes just due to changing meta and especially a few new undeads coming on the scene, so it's probably a lot better balanced than you think it is.

WC3 is balanced when you're talking about getting pretty even racial balance on a certain set of map pools, but it is unbalanced insofar as each race has limited choices of heroes/units in any given matchup if you want to maximize your chances of winning. I think that they went to the drawing board to evaluate changes for a future large balance patch. They didn't touch the map pool which would have been the quickest possible multiplayer change. (most of the top players are on alternate servers with updated map pools anyways)