Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i don't think it would even end up like that. didn't ms have an x86 to arm emulator or something back on the original surface rt that was used basically for office and nothing else? i figure it wouldn't be too hard to get some sort of windows running and some x64 compatibility layer or emulator running, but it seems like a whole lot of effort for trivial if any gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't think it would even end up like that. didn't ms have an x86 to arm emulator or something back on the original surface rt that was used basically for office and nothing else? i figure it wouldn't be too hard to get some sort of windows running and some x64 compatibility layer or emulator running, but it seems like a whole lot of effort for trivial if any gain.

no, surface rt was win32 native on arm. some xda guys made a x86->arm wine wrapper that basically worked (if you bypassed the code signing policy), but you wouldn't be running photoshop or anything on it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

no, surface rt was win32 native on arm. some xda guys made a x86->arm wine wrapper that basically worked (if you bypassed the code signing policy), but you wouldn't be running photoshop or anything on it.

to add to this my understanding is that intel has made noises that the the first major company stupid enough to try and implement an x86-64 to ARM emulator had better be ready to take the entire intel global patent portfolio up the rear end.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

to add to this my understanding is that intel has made noises that the the first major company stupid enough to try and implement an x86-64 to ARM emulator had better be ready to take the entire intel global patent portfolio up the rear end.

apple has enough cash to buy intel and that would be hilarious

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

zen death robot posted:

that sort of thing has to go through regulations approval you know

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
like seriously the federal government could stop apple from buying intel if they wanted but loving :lol: at that happening in trump's america

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
apple's interest in x64 stuff won't be for windows, though, so no one will really care. instead it'll be for transitioning to the a15 or whatever iteration it's on at that point laptop ala rosetta stone from ppc to x86.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

apple's interest in x64 stuff won't be for windows, though, so no one will really care. instead it'll be for transitioning to the a15 or whatever iteration it's on at that point laptop ala rosetta stone from ppc to x86.

rosetta was licensed software. that poo poo is hard to get right. unfortunately for apple and other punters, ibm bought the vendor who sold it, and it is now exclusive to ibm platforms.

additionally, x86 was literally 4x as fast as ppc when they bit the bullet. that's not gonna be true for arm vs x86

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

they'd probably run software that's designed for the architecture at an amazing speed. the problem is, outside of apple oses and more specifically ios, nothing is designed to run on them.

arm compilers aren't loving magic

there is an officially supported rhel for arm64, including a real, non-poo poo port of openjdk (i.e. not zero/shark)

the reason you never hear about this poo poo is that nobody actually uses it. the arm chips that you can actually buy off the shelf are horrendously slow both per $ and per watt

edit: maybe a10/a11 are a giant leap forward but i kinda doubt it

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 16, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
of course there's going to be something that can run on it, but like you pointed out no one uses it because there's no practical use.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe they will put both in there :wow:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shifty Pony posted:

the solution is to slowly turn ios into a desktop os by adding a docking mode to ipads and iphones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

of course there's going to be something that can run on it, but like you pointed out no one uses it because there's no practical use.

there is no use because arm is slow and expensive compared to x86

the software platforms are high quality, the chips are not

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doc Block posted:

so, basically, if your app is using the correct UI positioning stuff already (Autolayout, anchoring constraints to the system-provided edge insets, using the built-in navbar & toolbar elements, etc) then your app will Just Work.

apps that do dumb poo poo like assuming status bar height, anchoring to vertical insets but not horizontal ones, making their own navbar & toolbar UI elements instead of customizing the built-in ones, etc, will be the only ones affected.

times well with the removal of 32bit only apps because those are hacky garbage that has somehow survived for years on the app store. even so ill miss my old lovely but mostly functional one task apps

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is no use because arm is slow and expensive compared to x86

lol no

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the reason you never hear about this poo poo is that nobody actually uses it. the arm chips that you can actually buy off the shelf are horrendously slow both per $ and per watt

edit: maybe a10/a11 are a giant leap forward but i kinda doubt it

yeah, i remember some benchmark from maybe 5 years ago that compared arm and intel servers. if you have small loads then arm is better because then it uses less (electrical) power. but intel processors beat arm ones both in terms of speed and in power-per-watt when running under heavy load.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I need Intel because I take lycopene, zinc, l-arginine, lecithin etc daily.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

emoji posted:

I need Intel because I take lycopene, zinc, l-arginine, lecithin etc daily.

we get it, you vape

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we get it, you vape

what kind of stack are you rolling writh

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
ARM = rear end Ramming Machine

but it's up to you to interpret whose rear end is getting rammed

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 16, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crime on a Dime posted:

what kind of stack are you rolling writh

eleaf aster with cubis pro, running double menthol @ 12 mg on lvc claptons

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

eleaf aster with cubis pro, running double menthol @ 12 mg on lvc claptons

gross menthol, are you black or just really old?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

gross menthol, are you black or just really old?

24, could be whiter only after a bleach bath. not sure how i ended up smoking menthol cigs in sweden, but menthol vape has always been my preference since all the pissbaby sugarcane flavours popular with majority have absolutely 0 throat hit

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

any info on Reachability on iPhone X? I double tap my home button all the time.

it might be a deal breaker for me if it doesn't have it, one handed use is essential

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
lol vaping

mmj vaping is alright because it's less conspicuous, but :lol: at sucking on robot dicks for fun or nicotine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

any info on Reachability on iPhone X? I double tap my home button all the time.

it might be a deal breaker for me if it doesn't have it, one handed use is essential

im curious myself so im in a chat with apple right now. the default chat person has no idea so she's talking with a supervisor.

edit: it took a while for them to find out the answer, but it appears that it will be a swiping gesture of some sort.

quote:

Thank you for patiently waiting. Yes, there will be a gesture that you can do in order for that to happen and you can check it on the accessibility options on the Settings

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 16, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

well ok Apple, you win... THIS time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the rep then went on to try to convince me to upgrade from my 6s+ but :lol: at that this thing is still super fast, is in flawless condition, and works beautifully all while still having a headphone jack for when i have to swipe a credit card that doesn't have a chip in it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Nice! posted:

the rep then went on to try to convince me to upgrade from my 6s+ but :lol: at that this thing is still super fast, is in flawless condition, and works beautifully all while still having a headphone jack for when i have to swipe a credit card that doesn't have a chip in it.
I buy unlocked and give my wife my old phones every 2 years and that is one reason I'm getting the 8. she is going to really like this 6s I think

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
6s is a great loving phone and people gonna use it for a while i think. outside of breaking my 6s+ i have no reason whatsoever to upgrade.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

6s is a great loving phone and people gonna use it for a while i think. outside of breaking my 6s+ i have no reason whatsoever to upgrade.

I have a 7 and I like it more, the snappiness is real good and very noticeable

can't wait to have an 8 or an X honestly

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I have a 7 and I like it more, the snappiness is real good and very noticeable

can't wait to have an 8 or an X honestly

same but i just dont see the need yet, maybe a no notch x1 or 9 or some future model but the 7 is fine for my use. heck the 6 was too but i liked the better camera and my old phones are basically upgrades for family members every 2 years

though that display color adjustment is so oddly visual nerd appealing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

phone nazi: no phones for u!!!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one upshot of having no fewer than five different phone models available at any one time is at least one of them, possibly two, are revised versions of hardware so you don't have to buy the first iteration of an apple product (which is a very dumb and bad idea)

the problem is apple's new strategy is to roll out new hardware every year from now on so eventually you will always have to buy first-run products

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what type of phosphor did old monochrome Apple monitors (e.g. the Apple Monitor II) use?

was it P1 or P24 or something else?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

lol vaping

mmj vaping is alright because it's less conspicuous, but :lol: at sucking on robot dicks for fun or nicotine.

i'm not so much into it but it is a million times better than actual smoking so if someone is gaping rather than smoking it's all good

nice typo too. left it for sexual effect

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

i'm not so much into it but it is a million times better than actual smoking so if someone is gaping rather than smoking it's all good

for me its cheaper, i dont stink, and i can do it at home in lovely weather (and the home wont stink either)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

echinopsis posted:

no typo i deliberately typed robot dicks because that's what vapes are.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the only way you could think that vaping doesn't stink is if your sense of smell has been previously eradicated by actual smoking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

for me its cheaper, i dont stink, and i can do it at home in lovely weather (and the home wont stink either)

have you considered not being addicted to nicotine?

• Locked thread