Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I like how this anti suffragette cartoon makes being a suffragette seem extremely cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

trapped mouse posted:

That's temperance, not suffrage!!

There was a lot of overlap. People nowadays don't realize that Temperance was largely a woman's rights movement. Women didn't want their husbands to spend all the money at the bar and then come home drunk and beat them and the children.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dreddout posted:

I like how this anti suffragette cartoon makes being a suffragette seem extremely cool

Whole lotta nasty women in there.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dreddout posted:

if the mom is spending all her time drinking and smoking in a bar why do her kids look so well kept

did dad take over

because he seems like he's got this childcare thing pretty much solved, maybe he should just keep doing it

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

trapped mouse posted:

That's temperance, not suffrage!!

It was the same crowd for the most part.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was a lot of overlap. People nowadays don't realize that Temperance was largely a woman's rights movement. Women didn't want their husbands to spend all the money at the bar and then come home drunk and beat them and the children.

I feel like we don't get perspective about how loving drunk men were like 24/7 in America. Like, it made just banning the stuff seems almost rational.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't drink solvents you morons.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like we don't get perspective about how loving drunk men were like 24/7 in America. Like, it made just banning the stuff seems almost rational.

"Were"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Don't drink solvents you morons.

Motherfucker I'll drink as much water as I want!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slime posted:

Motherfucker I'll drink as much water as I want!!!

*Dies of hyperhydration*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best suffragette poster (also a funny picture):

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
My brain was parsing that tree as a mushroom cloud at first and I was really confused.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The woman in the cartoon represents a real suffragette named Edith Margaret Garrud; she and her husband were among the first jiu-jitsu practitioners in Britain and they taught self-defence classes and acted as bodyguards for members of the vote for women movement.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not just in America. I remember Dan Carlin did a Hardcore History episode called History Under the Influence where he spent about an hour and a half ruminating on how many of history's great men were alcoholics (or drug addicts). Like, think about how many major, world-altering decisions were made and overseen by people totally out of their gourd on something or other.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basically everyone was constantly drunk and/or high in the olden days. Booze was safer than water

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slime posted:

if the mom is spending all her time drinking and smoking in a bar why do her kids look so well kept

did dad take over

because he seems like he's got this childcare thing pretty much solved, maybe he should just keep doing it

Those are upper class women, they probably had staff taking care of the kids whether they were home or not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

And there's a really popular thread to say that temperance was only bad and had no good effects and was 100% negative, but actually people did start drinking less, and drink considerably less to this day.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

FreudianSlippers posted:

Basically everyone was constantly drunk and/or high in the olden days. Booze was safer than water

Yes but also no. The kind of wine and beer that were drunk constantly instead of water had very little alcohol in them.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wasn't the point to have the yeast kill off all the other nasty microbes that'd be waiting in there to make you sick, or at least have it deplete the sugars that the nasties would live off of while waiting to kill your thirsty rear end? So in effect, funny water safer than boring water.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

Wasn't the point to have the yeast kill off all the other nasty microbes that'd be waiting in there to make you sick, or at least have it deplete the sugars that the nasties would live off of while waiting to kill your thirsty rear end? So in effect, funny water safer than boring water.

I mean, that wasn't explicitly the idea because no one knew what microbes were but in effect, yes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I didn't realize they made Pampers in adult sizes.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Karate Bastard posted:

Wasn't the point to have the yeast kill off all the other nasty microbes that'd be waiting in there to make you sick, ...

Well, to make beer, you end up boiling the whole thing for at least an hour, and then sealing it off an keeping it sanitary until it's done fermenting. So, effectively, they were boiling away microbes without realizing what they were doing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Popular myth, but also completely inaccurate.

http://zythophile.co.uk/2014/03/04/was-water-really-regarded-as-dangerous-to-drink-in-the-middle-ages/
http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/05/21/medieval_europe_why_was_water_the_most_popular_drink.html

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I didn't realize they made Pampers in adult sizes.
I'm pretty sure they don't.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

null_pointer posted:

Well, to make beer, you end up boiling the whole thing for at least an hour, and then sealing it off an keeping it sanitary until it's done fermenting. So, effectively, they were boiling away microbes without realizing what they were doing.

Oh. When I make wine I just put a bunch of stuff in a bucket. Also I hear that's the right way to make proper cider, like 1) put the ingredient in a bucket. Like that's it. There is literally just one ingredient and that's apples. No sissy water, no yeast, apart from the gunk that lives naturally on apples. Or I have been gulled into making something indefensible in my basement.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

People stil had water in the countryside, but in larger cities fresh water was hard to come by. I know a lot about Dutch history, and in The Low Countries there was tons of water in the canals, but they all essentially functioned as a giant open-air sewer, so small beer was the norm in the 17th century. This is also a later period than these articles address, when larger cities developed and the spread of urbanization made this a larger problem. Nowadays the water in Amsterdam's canals is changed daily when they open the water locks at night, but in that time it was more like once a week, and you can imagine how undrinkable the rivers of sewage would be after a week in the summer heat. There are no springs in this swampy land, so it's either beer, sewage, or rainwater. Luckily it rains here often, so there was at least some water to drink, if you don't mind mind drinking rainwater collected in a moldy barrel in the middle of a city where the air is filled with soot.

So if anything the myth is that this is a medieval phenomenon, when it was actually an early modern one. These people are looking at the wrong period for their mythbusting evidence.

Edit: don't forget that smoking a pipe is good for you because the dry hot air counteracts the dampness of your body in the winter and helps balance the humors

twoday has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Sep 16, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Karate Bastard posted:

Oh. When I make wine I just put a bunch of stuff in a bucket. Also I hear that's the right way to make proper cider, like 1) put the ingredient in a bucket. Like that's it. There is literally just one ingredient and that's apples. No sissy water, no yeast, apart from the gunk that lives naturally on apples. Or I have been gulled into making something indefensible in my basement.

You just need your chosen yeast to outcompete the other microbes.

Boiling beer is about chemical changes in the hops getting bittering acids and sugars changes. It actually makes it more dangerous to the wrong microbes because it's a blank slate not already at a natural equilibrium like a farm cider.

Cider especially is just drop in yeast and walk away.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Karate Bastard posted:

Nowadays it's the norm to pasteurize the cider before fermentation. Traditionally you used windfall fruit that would have had naturally occurring yeasts. But the traditional method also runs the risks of e coli. The rates of failure were probably pretty high, just like with old timey canning.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mfw brewing

(from Star Guarded's Matul Remrit dwarf fortress LP)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Edit: don't forget that smoking a pipe is good for you because the dry hot air counteracts the dampness of your body in the winter and helps balance the humors

Smoking a pipe is good for you because it keeps away insects

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Smoking a pipe is good for you because it keeps away insects
So does bathing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grey Fox posted:

So does bathing.

Shower pipe keepin' it tiiiiiiight!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Grey Fox posted:

So does bathing.

Yeah, but being without rank odor promotes the sin of lust, which Christ abhors. Nothing promotes carnal forbearance quite like being a permadrunk pile of grey microbial fudge endlessly spewing plumes of smoke so thick & sustaining that you can write your suicide note on them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grey Fox posted:

So does bathing.

Bathing before the invention of running water is extremely labor intensive.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Per capita alcohol consumption in the US was 3x higher in the 1830's compared to today, that's accounting for the difference in alcohol concentrations too. Even if the dangerous water part is a myth, 19th century living was very boozy.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31741615

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Karate Bastard posted:

Reading this post and had a mental image of you making wine in your avatar.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The funny thing is they mean this as a slam on marvel but it's actually the reason why DC movies suck.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah, but being without rank odor promotes the sin of lust, which Christ abhors. Nothing promotes carnal forbearance quite like being a permadrunk pile of grey microbial fudge endlessly spewing plumes of smoke so thick & sustaining that you can write your suicide note on them.

hey tell your mom i said hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/Julian_Epp/status/909133715992907776