Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

First coat is drying so there will still be several hours before I can see if it worked, but the guitar fetish conductive paint is as easy to use as advertised.

I've used it on my builds and it's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Just ordered some NYXL 13-56s :getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've got those on my SG. They're beastly.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Good shout on those NYXLs Kilometers, they feel so much better than the stock strings and the 59 feels good even in A.

Glad you like them! It's crazy how well they handle lower tunings when other strings of the same gauge would flub out and be a mess to play with.

Minto Took posted:

I've found that XLs and NYXLs have different feel--even at the same gauge. Placebo or design differences?

They're different strings in general. Not placebo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lumpy posted:

I've used it on my builds and it's good stuff.

Seems like it, I'm just not 100% sure I have the kind of noise that it fixes. It's a very cheap and easy thing to test, though!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

They're different strings in general. Not placebo.

Yeah, I got that. I knew the marketing said they were made different. Guess I didn't expect them to feel different. :shobon:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Maybe I could get a Power Rail for the bridge and a lipstick humbucker for the neck? It's not like I was going to use the neck position otherwise.

It was made for Teles, not Talmans. I guess the Talman's rout is a lot shallower than a normal Tele's -- the stock pots were a lot smaller than the replacement ones, too.

oooooh... get the router out :D

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Callus chat:

My finger tips have basically turned into singular giant calluses. It used to be I just had some "hot spots" that would toughen up but now it has turned into literally the entire tips of my fingers. This is cool in a "I guess I've been playing alot" way but it's also starting to get problematic because when I wake up my finger tips are very unyielding, when I first start playing my finger tips just slide right off the strings until maybe 15-20 mins in when they "flatten" a bit and start to get string dents in them, after that point it's OK.

Is this just the way it goes? Should I had some sort of warm up to "soften" my fingertips before playing?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Moisturizer helps a lot. Soft leathery calluses are much better to have than hard unwieldy calluses. They grip better and give you a better sensitivity to the strings.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Has anybody here tried Nashville tuning on an electric guitar? I only have one acoustic, but my old Korean Squier is just collecting dust. Would it be as simple as slapping on the higher strings from a 12 string set, or would I have to specifically set up the guitar for the smaller gauges?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Never tried it myself but I imagine you'd have to fiddle with the action and intonation a bit.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Justin has (or at least had) a video lesson on it. I think he talks about concerns with string breaking at the begining of the video. Pretty sure he suggests to tune down a semi tone. But maybe that was for open tunings.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've got a formerly decent guitar that needs some attention. It used to have a Floyd Rose, and now it has just a hole. Are Floyd Rose trems pretty much one size fits all, (for 6-string guitars, at least)? Meaning, if I order a replacement from guitarfetish, or amazon even, is it safe to assume that either one would fit?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You don't have a ruler?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Cambridge/Boston goons, any recommendations for acoustic guitar teachers?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

I've got a formerly decent guitar that needs some attention. It used to have a Floyd Rose, and now it has just a hole. Are Floyd Rose trems pretty much one size fits all, (for 6-string guitars, at least)? Meaning, if I order a replacement from guitarfetish, or amazon even, is it safe to assume that either one would fit?

Is it an actual Floyd or was it Floyd-type? If it was an Ibanez one then good loving luck if you don't remember which specific one it was because there are a few that have different routs and different mounting studs and it can be a pain in the rear end

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shugojin posted:

Is it an actual Floyd or was it Floyd-type? If it was an Ibanez one then good loving luck if you don't remember which specific one it was because there are a few that have different routs and different mounting studs and it can be a pain in the rear end

It's not an Ibanez. It's a Kramer headstock, no name, maybe a warmoth neck? Fender tuners, Seymour Duncan pickups (Single coil neck, hummer bridge, no middle), and a huge gaping hole where there once was a floyd rose type whammy. A ruler would be somewhat useless since there's nothing there to measure except the hole.

I'm assuming it's just a plain old floyd rose. Probably a franken guitar from 80s parts. It's been in my closet for 2 decades. The neck's pretty good so I'm guessing at one point it was a decent guitar. I don't even remember how it came into my possession.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Lester Shy posted:

Has anybody here tried Nashville tuning on an electric guitar? I only have one acoustic, but my old Korean Squier is just collecting dust. Would it be as simple as slapping on the higher strings from a 12 string set, or would I have to specifically set up the guitar for the smaller gauges?

I've not found much use for nashville outside of the kind of overdubs you do when you've finished all your tracking a day before studio time runs out and you haven't seen daylight in a week, but it can be fun if you've got a lot of guitars in the band and want a different texture.

You'll need to intonate and adjust the action/truss the same way you would with any string change, but that's it. Also the nut might want recutting or replacing if you're determined that it's going to be the Nashville guitar forever.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Lester Shy posted:

:getin:

Are playing slide? I would just look into C6th tuning or E7. You can also drop the B to an A in your Open G and you'll start to uncover some of the Nashville E9 sounds. Get yourself some steel is the best answer.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

So replacing the pots/capacitor and shielding the cavity did nothing and at last it clicked in my head that it doesn't have the hum when played through the headphone out on my THR but does through any actual room audible situation so the pickups are lightly microphonic. Since I mostly play through the headphone out on the THR these days it's not a critical issue but it leads me to the following question:

Someone please explain to me the pros/cons of the fluence classic/modern/modern ceramic pickups so I can decide, this guitar already has room for a 9v battery because it left the factory with an active boost that uses a 9v so I'm pretty sure it's the guitar that gets fluences I just don't know which ones

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The newer Amazon credit card makes some loving awesome picks

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That looks way more awesome than it has any right to.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

nickhimself posted:

The newer Amazon credit card makes some loving awesome picks

Tweet with enough hashtags and they might start selling those.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Shugojin posted:

So replacing the pots/capacitor and shielding the cavity did nothing and at last it clicked in my head that it doesn't have the hum when played through the headphone out on my THR but does through any actual room audible situation so the pickups are lightly microphonic. Since I mostly play through the headphone out on the THR these days it's not a critical issue but it leads me to the following question:

Someone please explain to me the pros/cons of the fluence classic/modern/modern ceramic pickups so I can decide, this guitar already has room for a 9v battery because it left the factory with an active boost that uses a 9v so I'm pretty sure it's the guitar that gets fluences I just don't know which ones

Any chance it's an issue with the electricity? Like, does it him through someone else's amp in someone else's house?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Any chance it's an issue with the electricity? Like, does it him through someone else's amp in someone else's house?

I haven't had a chance to test that, but it hums through multiple amps and only when there are notes being played (and higher volume makes it worse) so I'm leaning towards microphonic.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are there any acoustics that compete with the Seagull S6 for price + quality new?

I've got a Seagull Entourage QIT dreadnought I got off craigslist, it's the same as the S6 thin with the cedar top, just with a sunburst finish to cover not as aesthetically pleasing woods. I don't anything to compare it to, but I absolutely love it. It's been a wonder to play and beautifully pleasing to my ears. I have zero regrets about buying it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone used Dimarzio Blaze pickups? My Ibanez AF207 came with the 7 string version and it is killer. I was totally expecting to swap it out when I got it because it is a ceramic pickup and I never have liked them but this thing is just great. Particularly on an archtop I am surprised how good it sounds - I really didn't expect that at all from a ceramic pickup.

Edit: actually after googling I'm not sure there is a 6 string version. Which sucks because I would definitely buy one. All the ones I am seeing also don't have pickup covers and mine does so I will have to look into it some more.

rio fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 18, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i bought an agile 7 string a decade ago back when they came with them standard before kurt from rondo had a falling out with dimarzio

i thought they were pretty nondescript and a little muddy, but that's with a fair bit of gain

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How much damage am I going to do to my electric guitars by storing them in an unheated garage? If it's significant, what kind of thing should I look at?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You will get sharp fret ends if that hasn't been dealt with already because the wood shrinks but the frets do not. Once you file them down, though, that won't happen again. Depending on how delicate the finish is, with some nitros, you might get finish checking. Other than that it is just small issues other than being a monster leaving your guitars alone in an ingested garage. Treat them like pets or children :colbert:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had a set neck guitar become unplayable from leaving it in a drafty unhumidified room over the winter. I would only store guitars in the garage as a temporary measure, if I didn't want to leave them out on the curb until the day the truck came.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
So my Chibson arrived in the mail. I ordered one for about $300 ($245 USD) Canadian because the $250 ones had kinda lackluster sunburst patterns and I took a risk that the photos he was showing was actually what the finished item looks like. Wanted a cool base for modifications or in the worst case, something I could hang on my wall like a bluesdad. Wasn't sure if they'd have the fake logos on it because those were artfully cropped out on the selling page.

I'm... impressed actually.

Appears to be set up before shipping too. No frets buzzing, octave intonation appears to be close enough by ear, and it's been holding tuning pretty well.

Forgot to get a picture of the neck joint, but looks okay and neck seems to be straight. it's a little messy under the truss rod cover too, but whatever, there's a truss rod there.

Plan is eventually to upgrade pots and pickups, maybe tuners; the pots don't have quite the resistance of real ones but it's all functional and sounds okay, though I'll admit I'm not some super bluestone purist. Maybe put some shielding in there too.

Anyway, scratched my itch to have a nice sunburst guitar without breaking the bank. Also, when I was broken into a few years ago they left the BFG on the stairs and grabbed my cheap old Squier that was old enough to still just say Stratocaster on it. I figure leaving a decoy next to the carrying case can't hurt. I don't plan on selling it, but if I ever did I'd clearly mark it as a fake before I did.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I would sell my guitars before I'd put them in a cold garage.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stillvisions posted:

So my Chibson arrived in the mail.

I'm... impressed actually.

i kinda want a counterfeit les paul now but it's gotta have a hilariously bad logo like "Gordon" or something

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I want a Les Paul that says Jimi Hendrix on the headstock

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i kinda want a counterfeit les paul now but it's gotta have a hilariously bad logo like "Gordon" or something

Gadsden RuPaul

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I was kinda disappointed that it didn't, NGL. I think they have custom headstock printing available for the Giblets RuPaul

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Anime Reference posted:

Gadsden RuPaul

Don't sashay on me

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Best "do it all" guitar? Hit me.

Thinking Music Man Petrucci has got to be close to the ideal multi-tool.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Best "do it all" guitar? Hit me.

Thinking Music Man Petrucci has got to be close to the ideal multi-tool.

Do they make an HSH version? That would be the ultimate if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are there any acoustics that compete with the Seagull S6 for price + quality new?

I quite like a Sigma in that price bracket, though I heard the ones sold in Europe and the ones in America are totally different instruments. You get a lot of options in regards to wood, too.

It's not an all solid guitar, but it's the perfect banger guitar that sounds good, sets up decent, looks really good, and you get a load of choice in models mimicking Martin.

e; oh yes, and while the sound isn't as good as a Martin, it plays every bit as comfortable as a Martin.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 18, 2017