Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A big flaming stink posted:

that deck really just needs an angel of serenity-esque card that can massively catch you up from behind. That way it won't be punished as bad for failing to interact with its opponent.

man i miss unburial rites

6/6 Flying Lifelink Vigilance Haste Pump your team catches you up pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Tom Ross on 8 rack is hysterical

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Tom Ross on 8 rack is hysterical

He's taken a huge left turn this year. Now that infect is dead, he decided, "gently caress it, lets go janky control."

I mean, really? 8-rack and B/W Pox?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I feel he is one of those people that hates playing the regular decks and makes up for the percentage loss with ridiculous skill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alaan posted:

I feel he is one of those people that hates playing the regular decks and makes up for the percentage loss with ridiculous skill.

No shame in that, half the fun in Modern is sneaking out wins with weird decks. I actually played against 8-Rack at FNM last night.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alaan posted:

infect was definitely a regular deck by the time git probe got banned

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah it was garbage in anyone else's hands for a long time though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wow that guy must be really smart then

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Abrade is going to be played much less after rotation. it's going to be in SB's, but not as a 3 or 4 of in MBs.

As someone currently running 4 abrade mainboard in ramunap red I have seen nothing that has been spoiled or is rotating out that would make me want to stop.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

that deck really just needs an angel of serenity-esque card that can massively catch you up from behind. That way it won't be punished as bad for failing to interact with its opponent.

man i miss unburial rites

Yeah that or an Elesh Norn, or hell a Griselbrand. There were some great targets to hose decks.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I just scrubbed out at a modern 5K here in T.O. But made back the entry fee comboing out commander pod side events with Gitrog Monster.

Good day is a good day!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Makeshift munitions looks like it could be a cool part of the Marionette Master deck.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

LordAbaddon posted:

As someone currently running 4 abrade mainboard in ramunap red I have seen nothing that has been spoiled or is rotating out that would make me want to stop.

Lightning strike? -artifact removal +reach?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordAbaddon posted:

Lightning Strike goes for the dome.

I could see a split, though.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

got a holo walk the plank today at a beginner's event. got a premade black/red deck, my partner got a black/blue one and was amused at creatures blue had like giant crabs. they had fun.

also my white weenie deck actually won vs a decent deck today, I'm making my way up!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You can be the one man to bring vampire monument to greatness

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Lightning Strike goes for the dome.

I could see a split, though.

You misunderstand me my removal suite currently is:

4x Shock
4x Incendiary Flow
4x Abrade

Incendiary flow is rotating so the strikes need to go there

Edit: Might as well just post the full list:

4x Bomat Courier
4x Falkenrath Gorger
4x Soul-Scar Mage
4x Shock
2x Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
4x Abrade
4x Earthshaker Khendra
4x Incendiary Flow
4x Ahn-Crop Crasher
3x Hazoret the Fervent
4x Sunscorched Desert
4x Ramunap Ruins
15x Mountains

SB:
1x Chandra, Torch of Defiance (working on getting more)
2x Collective Defiance
2x Kari Zev's Expertise
2x Glorybringer
2x Akoum Firebird
2x Aethersphere Harvester
2x Chandra's Defeat
2x Scavenger Grounds

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 17, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LordAbaddon posted:

4x Lightning Strike is going to be stock in every single red deck.

LordAbaddon posted:

You misunderstand me my removal suite currently is:

4x Shock
4x Incendiary Flow
4x Abrade

Incendiary flow is rotating so the strikes need to go there

Edit: Might as well just post the full list:

4x Bomat Courier
4x Falkenrath Gorger
4x Soul-Scar Mage
4x Shock
2x Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
4x Abrade
4x Earthshaker Khendra
4x Incendiary Flow
4x Ahn-Crop Crasher
3x Hazoret the Fervent
4x Sunscorched Desert
4x Ramunap Ruins
15x Mountains

SB:
1x Chandra, Torch of Defiance (working on getting more)
2x Collective Defiance
2x Kari Zev's Expertise
2x Glorybringer
2x Akoum Firebird
2x Aethersphere Harvester
2x Chandra's Defeat
2x Scavenger Grounds

I think you're playing way too much removal for G1's.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

I think you're playing way too much removal for G1's.
I have found that to not be the case, the critical mass of removal is excellent for the mirror and turns into reach for the rest of the field. Abrade itself is simply too good against the gearhulk finishers of control and midrange while attacking one of the major sideboard cards against red (Aethersphere Harvester).

Quite frankly I would rather be in a situation where I'm siding OUT Abrades instead of siding them in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LordAbaddon posted:

I have found that to not be the case, the critical mass of removal is excellent for the mirror and turns into reach for the rest of the field. Abrade itself is simply too good against the gearhulk finishers of control and midrange while attacking one of the major sideboard cards against red (Aethersphere Harvester).

Quite frankly I would rather be in a situation where I'm siding OUT Abrades instead of siding them in.

You're talking about the previous format (even though I think less than 4x Hazorat and 3x Kari Zev is insanity). Going forward, you won't be able to play as much removal that doen't kill stuff with 4 toughness. If you're looking to beat the mirror you should be playing Magma Spray and the Matchup against gearhulk decks is so good that maindeck abrade also seems bad. The lists I've seen in the new standard are playing 1MB and 1SB which I think is probably right because they want a couple of Magma Spray's in the board too. I also would MUCH rather side them in when you go big than have them dead in the MB against a number of matchups.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

You're talking about the previous format (even though I think less than 4x Hazorat and 3x Kari Zev is insanity).

They're both legends that you never want to see two copies of in your hand. I've long since thought that 4x Hazoret and 3x Kari Zev is obscenely greedy.

mcmagic posted:

Going forward, you won't be able to play as much removal that doen't kill stuff with 4 toughness.

Based on what? I'm far more scared of Kitesail freebooters tearing my hand apart while Hostage takers beat me to death with my own hazoret, Kari Zev's Expertise will still be able beat people to death with their own win conditions outside of carnage tyrant and Glorybringer earns some of those empty sideboard slots for the matchups where 4 toughness matters (if/when thats even an issue)

mcmagic posted:

If you're looking to beat the mirror you should be playing Magma Spray

I'm already beating the mirror nothing needs to change in this regard

mcmagic posted:

the Matchup against gearhulk decks is so good that maindeck abrade also seems bad.

The problem is that when they resolve a gearhulk that sticks they almost always stabilize, Abrade turns losses into wins off of killing gearhulks alone

mcmagic posted:

The lists I've seen in the new standard are playing 1MB and 1SB which I think is probably right because they want a couple of Magma Spray's in the board too.

The new standard doesn't exist yet so I don't know where you are getting this from. More importantly you are massively overvaluing Magma Sprays in the mirror. I've tested it, its bad.

mcmagic posted:

I also would MUCH rather side them in when you go big than have them dead in the MB against a number of matchups.

Abrade is so rarely dead in matchups that the only one I can think of off the top of my head is U/W approach.

Edit: one last thing that is not immediately obvious (but has and will continue to win me games) is that soul-scar mage means every burn spell is relevant so long as targets for them exist, shrinking bombs with -1/-1 counters is an angle not a lot of people consider while the prowess triggers can increase the potential damage of every spell

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 17, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LordAbaddon posted:

They're both legends that you never want to see two copies of in your hand. I've long since thought that 4x Hazoret and 3x Kari Zev is obscenely greedy.
Hazoret is the best card in the deck. It's the reason to play the deck. NTM drawing 2 is perfectly fine. You want Kari Zev on t2 pretty much every game both on the play and draw.

quote:

Based on what? I'm far more scared of Kitesail freebooters tearing my hand apart while Hostage takers beat me to death with my own hazoret, Kari Zev's Expertise will still be able beat people to death with their own win conditions outside of carnage tyrant and Glorybringer earns some of those empty sideboard slots for the matchups where 4 toughness matters (if/when thats even an issue)
If you're worried about bad cards like Freeboaters and 4 mana 2/3's, you don't have a good reading on what the format is going to look like. It's going to be the Mirror, Temur Energy with Ripjaw Raptors (which is going to be a very rough matchup), GFG and probably some kind of Dino deck. The thing I do agree with you about is Kari Zev's expertise. That card is going to get better after rotation.

quote:

The problem is that when they resolve a gearhulk that sticks they almost always stabilize, Abrade turns losses into wins off of killing gearhulks alone
You don't build mono red decks to answer 6 drops. If you have a few abrades and it kills a gearhulk that is great but that is not a reason to play 4.

quote:

The new standard doesn't exist yet so I don't know where you are getting this from. More importantly you are massively overvaluing Magma Sprays in the mirror. I've tested it, its bad.
This is almost definitely wrong. Magma Spray literally kills everything in the deck besides Kari Zev and Hazorat g1, is a clean answer to Kenra which is the best card in the mirror and will kill Lannery Storm post rotation, NTM if you're playing Lannery Storm magma spray has terrific synergy with it.

quote:

Abrade is so rarely dead in matchups that the only one I can think of off the top of my head is U/W approach.
The only matchups Abrade is GOOD in is Temur (getting worse because of Ripjaw Raptors) and GFG, Magma Spray is better in the mirror.

Edit: Magma Spray has the same good synergy with Soul Scar Mage as Abrade does so that shouldn't make a difference in the split between those 2 cards.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 17, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I know the project was a failure but it's too bad the deck can't be called Red Ash since it's so full of legends

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I know the project was a failure but it's too bad the deck can't be called Red Ash since it's so full of legends

I don't hate this name and I am now also saddened.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Ok mcmagic, here's a stupid deck I plan on running for FNM week one that you're going to love to pick apart:

Deck: Drakenap + Cannons!

//Lands
6 Island
6 Mountain
4 Ramunap Ruins
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Sunscorched Desert

//Spells
4 Abrade
3 Chart a Course
4 Lightning Strike
4 Opt
3 Reduce // Rubble
4 Shock
3 Vance's Blasting Cannons

//Creatures
4 Champion of Wits
4 Enigma Drake
3 Hazoret the Fervent

Display deck statistics

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Hazoret is the best card in the deck. It's the reason to play the deck. NTM drawing 2 is perfectly fine. You want Kari Zev on t2 pretty much every game both on the play and draw.

The only reason Kari Zev isn't the worst creature in the deck is because the one-drops are bad midgame top decks. Its lack of haste is crippling to the point that it is the very first card I side out against almost all of my matchups. Hazoret is also only one of the reasons to play the deck, the printing of ramunap ruins and abrade are the reason for this decks existence.

quote:

If you're worried about bad cards like Freeboaters and 4 mana 2/3's, you don't have a good reading on what the format is going to look like.
Yes, slightly worse tidehollow sculler and fiend hunter+gonti's love child are bad cards. Post rotation grasp of darkness is out and Hostage taker is one of the most efficient answers we're getting out of the new set.

quote:

It's going to be the Mirror, Temur Energy with Ripjaw Raptors (which is going to be a very rough matchup), GFG and probably some kind of Dino deck.

GPG continues to be trash thanks to the very existence of abrade. Plus Ripjaw Raptors gets punked by Ahn-Crop Exerts as much as anything else, and its even less of an issue than bristling hydra thanks to it not being able to get on-demand hexproof to prevent it.

quote:

You don't build mono red decks to answer 6 drops. If you have a few abrades and it kills a gearhulk that is great but that is not a reason to play 4.
You're right, and if I was running By Force that would be a good point but what i'm actually running is a 3 damage removal spell that blows up blockers and kills relevant creatures while also giving me an out against a control finisher

quote:

This is almost definitely wrong. Magma Spray literally kills everything in the deck besides Kari Zev and Hazorat g1, is a clean answer to Kenra which is the best card in the mirror and will kill Lannery Storm post rotation, NTM if you're playing Lannery Storm magma spray has terrific synergy with it.
I have NEVER seen a Khenra eternalized in a mirror match, if you are getting to the point where that is deciding the game you have already lost, this is an aggro mirror not a Death's Shadow mirror.
Also Lannery Storm is not good enough full stop. The last thing you want is to be raising your curve.

quote:

The only matchups Abrade is GOOD in is Temur (getting worse because of Ripjaw Raptors) and GFG, Magma Spray is better in the mirror.
And gearhulk decks which will almost certainly still be in the meta

quote:

Edit: Magma Spray has the same good synergy with Soul Scar Mage as Abrade does so that shouldn't make a difference in the split between those 2 cards.

The damage increase is far more relevant than the exile effect

Edit: Let me add on an addendum for Captain Storm, I think it will enable to R/B version of ramunap to become far more stable while also giving an easy enabler for fatal push but pure red is the worst spot for it.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 17, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I remember when everyone thought Hazoret was mediocre.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I remember when everyone thought Hazoret was mediocre.

Well, she was before support was printed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I just think you're 100% wrong in your read on the deck. Lannery is good and the fact that you have 1 less one drop means you have no choice but to go up the curve. It attacks through everything on t3 and the Treasure's are very good in the deck because it lets you empty your hand faster for Hazoret. In testing the deck, every god draw in involves a 1 drop, kari zev, and either kenra plus shock or an crop and attack for 6-7 on T3. it's the best start the deck has. We're going to see what the decks look like and who's right but if you think a 4 mana 2/3 multi color card in colors that you don't even know are good is the "most efficient answer" you're just not engaging in realism though. You have no idea if a black aggro deck is going to be something you can play. NTM BU.

Well, she was before support was printed.

I said it was the best card in the set.

Edit: Fatal Push is terrible in standard.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 17, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LordAbaddon posted:

Edit: Let me add on an addendum for Captain Storm, I think it will enable to R/B version of ramunap to become far more stable while also giving an easy enabler for fatal push but pure red is the worst spot for it.

I'm sure you know this but fatal push isn't nearly the insane power level card it is in standard. But really, I think ramunap has no reasons to mess up the consistency of their deck and jam as many spell lands as possible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'd like to believe my love for playing Tezzeret in Standard is going to die, but it won't. Every deck I've made testing out on the beta is just a variant of the same Tezzeret deck but with Deadeye Plunderers.

My testing of standard in the beta shows me that this set has a ton of fun cards that don't seem to have homes, e.g. Treasure Map is one of my favorite cards in a long time already, it's just not necessarily a good card.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptaer/deck-tech-blue-red-no-saheeli-sight-2017-02-04

would this deck be any good in modern?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

the fact that you have 1 less one drop means you have no choice but to go up the curve

Rigging Runner

quote:

We're going to see what the decks look like and who's right but if you think a 4 mana 2/3 multi color card in colors that you don't even know are good is the "most efficient answer" you're just not engaging in realism though
You're looking at this backwards. There are two other answers to hazoret in the upcoming format that could potentially replace grasp, those are Hour of Glory and Vraska's Contempt. Its not that Hostage Taker is ridiculously good at being an answer, its that everything else is so obscenely bad. They're the same mana cost and don't give you a body.

Edit: Also those colors are already good: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-blue-black-control-39692#paper

quote:

Edit: Fatal Push is terrible in standard.

Because it doesn't have enablers, Storm is an enabler with her treasure tokens and makes it a clean answer to the raptor you're so worried about

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 17, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=16822&f=MO

With better cards, yes!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

If you want to play UR Counter-burn in Modern there's a new Blue Moon variant floating around that looks pretty fun.

I'm not convinced that UWx Control is a real deck in Modern. I keep running into it at FNM and I've only dropped a single match to it in maybe a year. I had a 40-minute game 2 against it yesterday where the only threats he stuck were a single Vendilion Clique and a Colonnade that he only animated once before I killed it. Maybe the walker-heavy variants are better, but no one around here is playing them.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 17, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LordAbaddon posted:

Rigging Runner

You're looking at this backwards. There are two other answers to hazoret in the upcoming format that could potentially replace grasp, those are Hour of Glory and Vraska's Contempt. Its not that Hostage Taker is ridiculously good at being an answer, its that everything else is so obscenely bad. They're the same mana cost and don't give you a body.

Edit: Also those colors are already good: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-blue-black-control-39692#paper

Because it doesn't have enablers, Storm is an enabler with her treasure tokens and makes it a clean answer to the raptor you're so worried about

Scarab God control decks aren't going to be in the market for 4 mana Banisher Priests with marginal upside.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Scarab God control decks aren't going to be in the market for 4 mana Banisher Priests with marginal upside.

They are when they are getting killed by Hazorets

Edit: especially when the etb is repeatable off of scarab god's eternalize

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

red removal is really bad at the moment because the most popular threads are death's shadows and big eldrazis. Control decks need to have black or white for hard removal. Torrential Gearhulk has been popping up in some control lists though as a 5th snapcaster. that list kingofsprings posted is the closest you'll get

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LordAbaddon posted:

They are when they are getting killed by Hazorets

Edit: especially when the etb is repeatable off of scarab god's eternalize

They are going to pack answers for Hazoret but Hostage Taker isn't one on of them, it's a terrible card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

They are going to pack answers for Hazoret but Hostage Taker isn't one on of them, it's a terrible card.

Every single other answer they can pack is even worse, and doesn't generate a relevantly sized blocker that can be reused with scarab god at the same time.