Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sometimes you just don't want to row the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nm

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 13, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll never understand the complaints people have with manuals and commuting, especially in a car with a stock clutch.

I think it depends on where people live.

I live near Cleveland so even rush hour isn't all that bad, but if I lived near LA it'd be an entirely different equation. It's not hard with a stock clutch, but it does get annoying after a while. A few weeks ago when returning from the eclipse I got off the highway and drove farm roads for about 100 miles of Illinois because after two hours of stop and go I was just done with it.

I think the GTI would have been a lot higher on my list if I experienced extended stop and go traffic more often solely because it's the only FWD automatic I've ever not hated.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 13, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm bedding my hawk DTC-60 front pads today on the street. I wouldn't recommend them for street use but jesus gently caress do they bite!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's actually less about the manual and more about the seats and the stiffness of the suspension. The RS does have a pretty heavy clutch though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm bedding my hawk DTC-60 front pads today on the street. I wouldn't recommend them for street use but jesus gently caress do they bite!

Haha, I'm running them in the front of my S2000 now (HP+ in the rear), and ran them on my 330. Bedding them at night is fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OysFVms1KD0

They sound like a dumptruck when cold. Don't let your wheels get wet with that dust on them, it's very difficult to get off after.

KillHour posted:

It's actually less about the manual and more about the seats and the stiffness of the suspension. The RS does have a pretty heavy clutch though.
Shrug, I commute in a Sparco Evo and on 850/650lb springs.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 13, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I commute in Houston rush hour with a 6-speed and it's not THAT bad.

Anyway, I think the deals to be found on '17 GTI's are a lot better than the '16's. Why do you mention '16 models, are you looking at CPO or gently used models? I'm pretty sure the '17 has better new purchase pricing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha, I'm running them in the front of my S2000 now (HP+ in the rear), and ran them on my 330. Bedding them at night is fun.

They sound like a dumptruck when cold.

Shrug, I commute in a Sparco Evo and on 850/650lb springs.

How do you like them? There isn't a very deep amount of brake Information out there for tracking the fiesta, so I took a gamble on these.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love them, and they are dirt cheap if you shop around. I get somewhere between 5 and 8 days out of a front set, depending on the track.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I love them, and they are dirt cheap if you shop around. I get somewhere between 5 and 8 days out of a front set, depending on the track.

Good to hear. I got mine for around $140 for the front set. Fiesta rotors are pretty small though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Here's a random question for you nerds. I removed the rear apron on my bug, and I want to use those removable clips so that I can take it on and off easily. What the hell would I be searching for as a term?

n/m. I think I found what I'm looking for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

Here's a random question for you nerds. I removed the rear apron on my bug, and I want to use those removable clips so that I can take it on and off easily. What the hell would I be searching for as a term?

n/m. I think I found what I'm looking for.

Bumper Quick Release. Or DORIFTU BANDZ

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
If you want a FiST better buy one now, because we aren't getting them anymore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I should set up some cameras next time I need to bed in brakes on my top secret closed test circuit.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Can anyone speak on the merits of a MK7 GTI stage 1 flash? Looks like a lot of power on a simple flash but I'm worried about the ride qualities since I'll be commuting (granted, my commute is a pretty fun mountain road situation) but the beginning and end of the commute is more like flat straightland so I'm worried it will be too rough.

I've also read that you should get the DSG or it can be rough on the clutch?

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 16, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Taima posted:

Can anyone speak on the merits of a MK7 GTI stage 1 flash? Looks like a lot of power on a simple flash but I'm worried about the ride qualities since I'll be commuting (granted, my commute is a pretty fun mountain road situation) but the beginning and end of the commute is more like flat straightland so I'm worried it will be too rough.

The MK7 has a lovely clutch in the manual. So ya, if you plan to tune, either plan to also tune the trans or plan on a new clutch by 20k.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On the Mk5 the APR tune was literally invisible unless you were hammering on it. It had no impact whatsoever on drivability, NVH, etc. As far as I'm aware the Mk7 still uses basically the same drivetrain so I can't imagine it's any worse. The rear motor mount/trans mount on the other hand, that made reverse feel like a paint shaker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lame. American car buys suck.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm not sure how I feel about the new Fiesta ST - the three cylinder sounds cool and all but the exterior restyle hasn't done it any favours

The new interior looks a lot nicer though

e. I know the ST isn't actually available yet but you can see where things are going from the ST-Line

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 16, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think a Fiesta ST is becoming more and more likely to be the next car. The overall cost of ownership for a performance model can't be beat and I love what it brings to the table. Honestly the only thing I don't like is the lack of auto down on all the windows.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

I think a Fiesta ST is becoming more and more likely to be the next car. The overall cost of ownership for a performance model can't be beat and I love what it brings to the table. Honestly the only thing I don't like is the lack of auto down on all the windows.

FiSTs are a hoot to drive, basically a go-kart for the street.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Taima posted:

If you're just doing a flash, all it does is tweak the internals with magic to output more torque and Hp. Your ride quality will be unaffected unless you start doing engine mounts, which isn't necessary until yours wear out. Then just replace with oem because the aftermarket stage 1 mounts are awful for several thousand miles. Basically, no one is ever sad they did a stage 1 gti tune.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Youll have low end torque earlier so should help daily driving too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, that blue Focus RS paint is fuckin dreamy in person.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Man, that blue Focus RS paint is fuckin dreamy in person.

Yeah it's gorgeous. On a sunny day especially.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah it's gorgeous. On a sunny day especially.

If the FiST came in that color I'd probably already own one.

Edit: So I'm probably jumping the gun since I haven't sold the MS6 yet but this one righter here checks all the boxes.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/709615646/overview/

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 16, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

PabloBOOM posted:

If you're just doing a flash, all it does is tweak the internals with magic to output more torque and Hp. Your ride quality will be unaffected unless you start doing engine mounts, which isn't necessary until yours wear out. Then just replace with oem because the aftermarket stage 1 mounts are awful for several thousand miles. Basically, no one is ever sad they did a stage 1 gti tune.

Thank you for everyone who responded, you're awesome.

And to your point Pablo, I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you can get more horses than a stock Golf R and a big torque increase, for seemingly no downside as long as you get the DSG?

Like, why doesn't VW tune their cars that way if you can drop so much more power through a simple flash? The whole thing is bewildering to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Market segmentation, emissions, warranty.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I've had my FiST for about a year and I have the itch to do some upgrades. I'm trying to decide between exhaust or an Accessport.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

IOwnCalculus posted:

These. The stock ea888 motor is a spectacular beast that can be tuned to all sorts of purposes. They artificially segment their cars' performance to fit where they want in the market. All it needs is a change in programming to pep the engine up. But then they'd hurt the R sales (which is already hard to justify in some cases since a stock gti is still most of the same good fun.) It sounds a bit :tinfoil: but it is what it is. There was even a 400hp ea888 they sadly axed before officially offering it in a car.

The only real downside is the price it costs (though well worth the money) and the potential for drivetrain warranty woes, when that applies.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Korbin posted:

I've had my FiST for about a year and I have the itch to do some upgrades. I'm trying to decide between exhaust or an Accessport.

Accessport, without a doubt

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 16, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

PabloBOOM posted:

These. The stock ea888 motor is a spectacular beast that can be tuned to all sorts of purposes. They artificially segment their cars' performance to fit where they want in the market. All it needs is a change in programming to pep the engine up. But then they'd hurt the R sales (which is already hard to justify in some cases since a stock gti is still most of the same good fun.) It sounds a bit :tinfoil: but it is what it is. There was even a 400hp ea888 they sadly axed before officially offering it in a car.

The only real downside is the price it costs (though well worth the money) and the potential for drivetrain warranty woes, when that applies.

I've been reading that the flash doesn't actually void the warranty in most cases, is that not true? And even if you did void the warranty, couldn't you just flash it back to stock before taking it in?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Read up on your vehicle warranty and tunes.

Short answer: you can't void a warranty like that. the dealer can decline service if they believe your aftermarket part is responsible for the issue.

Also the ÉCU stores data, including how many time it's been flashed, that makes it fairly easy to detect.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My point on the warranty is that when building the car and calculating the warranty costs, they make some determination on how likely various parts are to fail at a given power level. If they increase horsepower, they might need to upgrade other parts downstream to survive under the worst possible case over the life of the warranty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

I should set up some cameras next time I need to bed in brakes on my top secret closed test circuit.

It'd end up looking like an Iraq war snuff film with our landscape around here :v:

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

Korbin posted:

The exhaust won't do much for power, but it will make more noise. An Accessport is the best bang for the buck to gain more power, and additional gauges if you keep it installed in the car all the time. I second the Accessport.

Rhyno: In the Mid-Atlantic area, no option FiSTs are maybe $1000 more expensive than the car you linked before taxes and tags if you're willing to bargain. If you qualify for 0% financing, payments would be pretty cheap.

pr0craztinazn fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 16, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Taima posted:

And to your point Pablo, I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you can get more horses than a stock Golf R and a big torque increase, for seemingly no downside as long as you get the DSG?

Like, why doesn't VW tune their cars that way if you can drop so much more power through a simple flash? The whole thing is bewildering to me.

Look at how bad Porsche neuters non-911s :v:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Korbin posted:

accessport first, exhaust second. unless you don't like another 35HP to the wheels.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG

thetechnoloser posted:

accessport first, exhaust second. unless you don't like another 35HP to the wheels.

35 to the wheels with just the tune? Even if I only have access to 91?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Taima posted:

This is only true if you compare a tuned gti to a stock R. The R has a different head and bigger turbo. Stage 1 is close to 400 hp on the R :)

Speaking of dumb amounts of horsepower. Anyone happen to use those drive safe programs through their insurance? I just installed mine today for State Farm. Get 5% off just for signing up, but they claim I can get discounted up to 50%. I assume thats for cars that never get driven. It's just a little gps device that talks to my phone via blutooth vs the OBDII devices other companies use. Wish they had told me about this poo poo last year when I quit my job. I've barely put 1500 miles on my car in a year.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 16, 2017