Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
More than anything else it's an indicator of how hosed up television and movies were/still are that someone like Whedon ends up being held up as a feminist simply because he made projects that focused on female main characters. Analyze his work past that and the feminist thing doesn't really hold water but just by giving a woman a lead role in an action series he was ahead of the rest of show business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What if they rape her in the rear end does the poison still work?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

What if they rape her in the rear end does the poison still work?

The hard hitting questions.

There's a level on which Whedon's rep as a 'feminist' writer isn't really his fault. It's just that the bar is so loving low that even he manages to clear it, and the fact that he clears it better than anyone else of his standing and era is an indictment of everyone else.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The three female leads from Firefly:

Acts 'like A Man' and is respected for it, but is basically cut off from femininity 99% of the time. Has no major plotlines.
Abused child dependant on others to calm her during tantrums
Prostitute (but classy!)

I liked the show, but it's just not what people think it is. Take that great casting out of the show and think about how much of a loving mess it'd be.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, it absolutely would have fallen apart if it were around any longer.

If anything, the movie works best as its own thing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Acts 'like A Man' and is respected for it, but is basically cut off from femininity 99% of the time. Has no major plotlines.
Prostitute (but classy!)

I liked the show, but it's just not what people think it is. Take that great casting out of the show and think about how much of a loving mess it'd be.

Don't forget the twee mechanic. Who's character begins at 'knows engines' and ends at 'talks about sex, but in a cute way'

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

but it's cute because that's boy stuff! she's a tomboy! it's feminist because she has a boyfriend AND a job.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Donnerberg posted:

Wasn't there a rape scene in Buffy too? I vaguely remember an interview with the frosted tips vampire where he said he was forced to do the scene despite vehemently protesting it.

Ugh. There's good reason to pretend the show ended with season five.
Then in the comic book follow up Joss had Xander hook up with Buffy's teenage sister, because, of course he did.
I'll never understand the love for Firefly, the stories and characters squander any intrigue of the setting.
Suppose it's a bit like those that defend Bethesda's Fallout games. :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Really, Serenity worked for me seeing it because of the actors. Fillion just nails it and as does everyone else. I like Firefly okay, but if I want to hang out in that universe, I usually go to Serenity. There's something about that film that works better than the show ever did.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

well why not posted:

Prostitute (but classy!)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

well why not posted:

Prostitute (but classy!)
The "tell" for me with Firefly fans is when they talk about how River Tam is their favourite character. The one that's a plot device locked in a box most of the time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What if my favorite character is Mal?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Xenomrph posted:

What if my favorite character is Mal?

There's nothing wrong with a little man-crush on Nathan Fillion.

e: I really liked Jane; it's a pity that Adam Baldwin was evidently just playing himself.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wash was my favorite.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a case of character chemistry and charisma elevating mediocre writing. Tudyk and Baccarin are probably the most successful cast members, and I think it's well deserved.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

wyoming posted:

Then in the comic book follow up Joss had Xander hook up with Buffy's teenage sister, because, of course he did.

Even more gross considering Xander is like his self insert character.

edit: also RIP Harry Dean Stanton :(

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

edit: also RIP Harry Dean Stanton :(

He will meet David in Valhalla.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Right.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I usually go to Serenity. There's something about that film that works better than the show ever did.

The loss of the show forced the plot to advance to what was essentially its endpoint, after developing a solid season to launch off of and not having any chance whatsoever to overstay its welcome or begin jogging in place the way, say, X-Files did.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dont even fink about it posted:

The loss of the show forced the plot to advance to what was essentially its endpoint, after developing a solid season to launch off of and not having any chance whatsoever to overstay its welcome or begin jogging in place the way, say, X-Files did.

Serenity is basically just Season Two as was planned but massively condensed. The series would've eventually had all out war with the Alliance. Etc.

Also the Inara rape story is terrible but lots of terrible ideas are thrown around before a series takes shape. It probably never would of made it to air, in fact I'm fairly sure it evolved into the Reaver episode we did get.

Some of the original Breaking Bad ideas where equally as awful for example.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was outta this thread for a while and skipped about 50 pages. Was there any Harry Dean Stanton chat pre- page 300?

I was joking with people about 'huh, two Alien actors dead in 2017, in the order they were offed in the movie. Tom Skerritt better watch his back.'

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Veronica Cartwright and Sigourney Weaver are young enough (relative to the rest of the cast) to be the last two to go out, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Donnerberg posted:

Wasn't there a rape scene in Buffy too? I vaguely remember an interview with the frosted tips vampire where he said he was forced to do the scene despite vehemently protesting it.
Season, uh, 5 (the one where she gets yanked out of heaven) has the incredibly broken and toxic as gently caress 'relationship ' with Spike and Buffy as an amazingly bad D-Plot so it was probably one of those scenes where they're hatefucking.

Ugh. Late Buffy is really about tearing down the character in ways that isnt fun. The Body probably starts this, as good as that episode is, and it's just a series of things to clumsily show how so not a 'gift' the powers and lineage are.

well why not posted:

You also forgot the Occasional Special Guest loving LYING BITCH WOMAN WHORE with nice knockers who gets the best of Captain Aw Shucks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wyoming posted:

Hahah, holy poo poo, gently caress Joss Whedon forever.

The beauty part is, that quote doesn't name the female character, so you can safely assume it's all of them.

It's not actually that bad, but Whedon and Firefly do have their flaws,

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

FilthyImp posted:

Season, uh, 5 (the one where she gets yanked out of heaven) has the incredibly broken and toxic as gently caress 'relationship ' with Spike and Buffy as an amazingly bad D-Plot so it was probably one of those scenes where they're hatefucking.

Ugh. Late Buffy is really about tearing down the character in ways that isnt fun. The Body probably starts this, as good as that episode is, and it's just a series of things to clumsily show how so not a 'gift' the powers and lineage are.

It reminds me of a criticism of Madoka a goon posted, that being that deconstructing a fantasy of female empowerment has the ugly side of basically making GBS threads all over a rare example of a fantasy which actually emphasizes women's agency.

This is substantially more relevant when there isn't a whole genre with embedded regressive elements and interpretations to deconstruct, but rather your own freaking show which is lauded as the only one of its kind in its cultural context is the target instead.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

mllaneza posted:

The beauty part is, that quote doesn't name the female character, so you can safely assume it's all of them.

It's not actually that bad, but Whedon and Firefly do have their flaws,

It would basically have to be Inara. Sex drug that kills people who have sex with you is exactly the sort of place someone who would write that plot line would go with a geisha-esque character.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah its obviously the prostitute chick. "Mal gets on his knee and treats her like a lady" is not gonna make sense wrt the other dudes wife, the chick who wants to gently caress the other guy, or the 14 yr old girl.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's telegraphed from her first scene that the show was going to end up with her either dying, marrying Mal or most likely, both.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Didn't she have space cancer or something?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowman_McK posted:

Didn't she have space cancer or something?
I think the Space AIDS Needle also made the companions sick after a time. That or TRAGIC BACKSTORY time.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The prologue, the flute scene, and the 'who wrote Ozymandias' confrontation are my favorite moments of Alien Covenant. Michael Fassbender is an exceptionally good actor.

It will be interesting to see how the sequel will play out if it gets made. Having the villain win at the end was a risky — and refreshing — direction to take; they could go in so many different directions with that cliffhanger.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Eh. "The monster wins in the end" is an old horror movie trope and not really all that refreshing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah but in the Alien series itself if there's a humanoid antagonist they get some pretty serious comeuppence.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Eh. "The monster wins in the end" is an old horror movie trope and not really all that refreshing.

A reminder that even 'Alien' was originally going to end with the Alien biting Ripley's head off and then mimicking her voice to do the "signing off" transmission.

Yesterday was my dad's birthday, I stopped my parents' house after and 'Aliens' happened to be on cable, so he and I sat and watched that. I can say with confidence that 'Aliens' is still a good movie.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They've been blasting Alien and Resurrection for the past couple weeks on Cinemax at the hotel I'm staying at and they totally hold up. Resurrection has its fun moments even if it's not objectively good.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
20th Century Fox CEO Stacey Snider was recently asked about the future of the Alien films:

http://variety.com/2017/film/features/stacey-snider-21st-century-fox-first-year-1202563799/

quote:

"Alien: Covenant” stumbled at the box office. Is that franchise over?
It was a disappointment, but I trust Ridley [Scott] and Emma [Watts] to know the right story when they find it. When universes are as rich as “Alien,” they can stay in a too familiar groove — in which case you’re in trouble — but they can also find a planet or a storyline or a villain that also lives in that universe that can be groundbreaking.

Ridley is still on it. :dance:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Call the next movie David.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The problem in "finding the right story when it comes along" is that if you're gonna set up a multi-piece story, you'd better have the entire thing mapped out before you even start. Or else you end up with... what we got. And the last half of Battlestar Galactica. And I'll even put money on the next Star Wars movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The end is David taking his eggs into the Derelict ship and crashing in a suit of armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NarkyBark posted:

The problem in "finding the right story when it comes along" is that if you're gonna set up a multi-piece story, you'd better have the entire thing mapped out before you even start. Or else you end up with... what we got. And the last half of Battlestar Galactica. And I'll even put money on the next Star Wars movies.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't know how relevant that is here. Neither Prometheus or Covenant were multi-piece stories.