Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

And this is why I'm terrible at this game, I need to open my eyes more.

Advice question: When in Turf War, is it better to advance with a teammate for safety, or do you split up to cover more ground? I generally figure in the other modes it's much better to stick together but in Turf War you should go solo.

If you're coordinated enough to not waste time both inking the same ground, probably fine to stick together. I've never managed that with randos though so I just split up. To the extent where if me and a rando both start inking the same direction I will turn around and go another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Could I get a few people to jump on Discord and play some Salmon Run with me? I am sick of playing with randos.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wow, at higher ranks in Salmon Run, the Sting Ray goes from being one of the best specials, to the absolute worst. You have absolutely no time or a good opportunity to use it since Salmonids just keep pouring in, and using it makes you a sitting duck for a long time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bizarre deformity posted:

Could I get a few people to jump on Discord and play some Salmon Run with me? I am sick of playing with randos.

What’s the discord? I’d be happy to try to play some with goons.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Lost at wave one because two teammates stood and guarded a batch of eggs spamming c'mon c'mon c'mon instead of just taking them in.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Aaaand the next round one because they scattered at glowflies. Did something happen to pubbies since the last time I played a couple weeks ago or was it just bad luck?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

so if i got the super bonus and the jacket is there any reason to keep playing salmon run other than fun? can i get chunks at all from this salmon run or is it just money and drink tickets?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
After you get the 2nd super bonus it just alternates between the current month's item and a pink capsule containing a previous month's item or money every 200 points

Unrelated but my last 5 kelp dome matches have ended in a KO loss so maybe the game is telling me to take a break...

Last 6 TC matches have been KO losses now...

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 17, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Aerospray RGs are loving terrifying now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Playing with goons made Salmon Run a breeze (after we lost the initial couple of rounds). I'm never playing with randos again

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wow, at higher ranks in Salmon Run, the Sting Ray goes from being one of the best specials, to the absolute worst. You have absolutely no time or a good opportunity to use it since Salmonids just keep pouring in, and using it makes you a sitting duck for a long time.

Nah it's always good. Just go to where your team is and use it and in my cases randos will protect you while you gun down your target. Least I've always had backup. That and with the buff everything just kinda eats poo poo in front of you anyway.

Also the canon event is super fun once you get the hang of doing literally everything by yourself. I'm pretty drat good at using the canons but there's always that one guy who houses himself in a canon the second they spawn and never leaves. I've had so many rounds where that guy just utterly fails to do anything that I've figured out a rhythm to ducking into a canon, making my own path, then racing along it and back before the big guys have time to repopulate a lane.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

:psyduck: two points. .

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I gotta say, while I hate Splat Zones Kelp Dome, I like Tower Control and Rainmaker a lot more. It's far more exciting to take advantage of all the options the map gives you when the objective is moving around the map.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah it's always good. Just go to where your team is and use it and in my cases randos will protect you while you gun down your target. Least I've always had backup. That and with the buff everything just kinda eats poo poo in front of you anyway.

Also the canon event is super fun once you get the hang of doing literally everything by yourself. I'm pretty drat good at using the canons but there's always that one guy who houses himself in a canon the second they spawn and never leaves. I've had so many rounds where that guy just utterly fails to do anything that I've figured out a rhythm to ducking into a canon, making my own path, then racing along it and back before the big guys have time to repopulate a lane.

Oh I'm not just talking about Profreshional. I'm talking about at like rank 400 and above. The Salmonid spawning gets crazy and it's just a hellscape of Flyfish and Stingers. Think high tide wave 3, only several times more intensive. :gonk:

Also thank you Mr. Grizz, for giving us 4 Poo Tubers when it was a Glowfly wave. We wiped instantly. :suicide:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

had a wave where three of us had the grizzco blaster, lol

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also thank you Mr. Grizz, for giving us 4 Poo Tubers when it was a Glowfly wave. We wiped instantly. :suicide:

Sorry for the Pewdiepie round, my condolences.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kaubocks posted:

had a wave where three of us had the grizzco blaster, lol

Multiple Grizzco Blasters is just the funniest poo poo

You even get a special end of round response, Mr Grizz is a good sport about the mixup

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flowers posted:

This Salmon Run is the best Salmon Run, I wish it was randomized every time. Way better than me looking at the weapons and going ehhhh, I don't want to play with these. I go in and we get what we get.

Like all RNG, it's nice in theory, but atrociously lop-sided in practice. As someone already said, three goo tubers in a glowfly wave is not gonna end well. It either needs to be a locked-in set at the start of the round, or a fix ratio of weapons (eg; two shooters, two of anything else; one charger at most).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Part of the fun is honestly trying to work with what you got. Having played Tentacle Difficulties for quite a while, you can't really get an impossible weapon set. It's just gonna be much rougher than usual.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You can get impossible weapon sets if you're out of specials, but that usually shouldn't happen until wave 3, and literally can't happen until wave 2, so it's okay.

I do think Tentacle Difficulties makes it more important than normal to get in a voice chat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What is tentacle difficultly and how do I know if I’m playing on it?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's the current event where weapons in Salmon Run are randomized each round. If the weapons display as ? ? ? ? in the salmon run schedule and stuff, then it's on.

Edit: The name comes from the Splatoon tumblr post

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SeANMcBAY posted:

This Salmon Run with the randomised weapons.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It's also just a pun on "technical difficulties," not a new difficulty level (except insofar as randomized weapons can be difficult)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's happening right now as full random weapon sets.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i thought this session wouldve been super easy but there are definitely times when the rng stacks things against you, like the whole quad eliter thing

has definitely been fun though

also i thought of keeping track of time and getting to this high a rank definitely takes much longer than getting to queen during splatfests, like holy moly it was a nice rare sunny day so i went out for burritos instead

Smiles fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 17, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

GrizzCo weapons are neat, but I really don't think they need the randomized weapons element to work. I'd like to see them seeded in regular play as well. Just a fun little lotto where, say instead of getting a splattershot for a round, you get Mr Grizz's Turnt Blastr.

Tentacle Difficulties was fun though. I want to see that continue.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

When wearing Object Shredder, all weapons get a 10% damage boost against objects. Unfortunately, this means that even with Object Shredder, the Aerospray is the only weapon in the entire game that can't destroy Ink Armor in one hit. :laffo:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Aerospray is a weapon for Bad Players

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kelp Dome still a poo poo map.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have the hardest drat time in Salmon Runs with Steelheads and apparently randos do too because I had three wave 3 wipes in a row last night because of them. It just feels like most of the weapons in the game barely have the range to reach his head unless you're right at his feet looking up, at which point you're getting owned by the salmonids around him.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Aaaand the next round one because they scattered at glowflies. Did something happen to pubbies since the last time I played a couple weeks ago or was it just bad luck?

Bad luck because I had a ufo round where all the pubbies shot the fliers and the ufo as needed, we got 34 eggs out it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Kelp Dome still a poo poo map.

I would've (naively, it seems) assumed a charger had a good time on Kelp Dome. What do you dislike about it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*breathes an enormous sigh of relief*

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Just a heads up that I haven't forgot about the Splatoon goon tournament. I'm just busy at the moment. I'll outline my thoughts about the format and how it should go down in due time, hopefully soonish.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

*breathes an enormous sigh of relief*

Welcome to the club. :hfive:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I would've (naively, it seems) assumed a charger had a good time on Kelp Dome. What do you dislike about it?

Extreme lack of verticality and tons of blind corners make Kelp Dome a roller/shooter playground. But now you can also dominate lanes by lazily spamming curlers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Imagined posted:

I have the hardest drat time in Salmon Runs with Steelheads and apparently randos do too because I had three wave 3 wipes in a row last night because of them. It just feels like most of the weapons in the game barely have the range to reach his head unless you're right at his feet looking up, at which point you're getting owned by the salmonids around him.

You cant kill'em from there, the brim of their drat hat gets in the way. Hell, it interferes with shots that should hit half the time.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You cant kill'em from there, the brim of their drat hat gets in the way. Hell, it interferes with shots that should hit half the time.

So what do you do if you have a really short range weapon? Besides depending on your teammates, because we know how reliable that is...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel really stupid being given a brand new Switch but not really caring about using it because all my data for Splatoon is on my brother's. The prospect of grinding out all the gear and levels and single-player again is...not fun.

Shame Nintendo is still stuck in the past and your save data isn't actually tied to your profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, so me and a couple of people in the Nintengoons Discord decided to run some tests on Stealth Jump to see if maybe it's more useful than we gave it credit for. The results:

Marker is visbile, though part of it is starting to fade out.

Marker is fading out more.

And this is where Stealth Jump fully kicks in.

The activation distance is honestly shorter than I expected, but honestly? Just learn how to super jump smarter. Or have Splashdown ready. There are tons of better things to put in that ability slot.

On the plus side, we discovered that squid beacons just hide the marker entirely. And considering that enemy players pretty much destroy them on sight, super jumping to a beacon is considerably less risky than super jumping to a player.