Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/909157100709990400

Wunderground has it hitting PR as a Cat 3, apparently. Hopefully the models don't keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

Hi. Just wondering if you were going to respond to anything I posted on this subject as an actual human being with a mental illness that has gone through exactly the scenario you are commenting on here. For the record I think "housing first" with heavy follow-up and supervised housing for those unable to handle living on their own is a great way to go about things.

Also it is my stance that in order for many people to become truly functional they require the stability of regular housing in order to do the kind of therapy/medication work necessary in order to gain full independence. I explained that all in my post, just repeating it here and wondering what your reaction is to my stance on things.

FWIW I lived for over two years in Haven for Hope so I'm quite confident I can more than match your horror stories tit-for-tat.
I don't know the specifics of your illness or your case. My stance is that, yes, it will work for some people. My question is, what is the goal (i.e. a X% reduction in Y metric of homelessness) and how effective is it in meeting that goal compared to similar funds expended in a different way. Also whether it would be worthwhile to spend the money on that goal vs e.g. reducing greenhouse gas emissions so that we all don't die, but that's a broader question. Given the expense and staffing required for Deteriorata's proposal, space would necessarily be limited, and given that it has no way to deal with the aforementioned problems, I would be skeptical that it could make a significant dent in the homeless/transient population of a major metro area.

Lemming posted:

You're framing your argument as if these things are free you loving vermin. Go crawl back into your filthy hole.
They aren't free, but they are the mechanisms we have chosen to deal with people who are routinely assaultive, larcenous, non-compliant, or unable to care for themselves through either mental or chemical incapacity. A group living situation as described has no way to deal with those people while maintaining its responsibility to provide a clean, safe and stable environment that fosters independence, and would end up shuttling them back to the current system. Deteriorata's proposal is expensive. Expense means limited space. Limited space means pressure to bounce out more difficult patients in order to make space for those likely to complete the program in two years.

Lemming posted:

The problem is the people who repeatedly post in bad faith forever. There's no point in having a discussion if that's what's going on, and it derails other potential good conversation.
Problem is, a lot of people think anyone who disagrees with them is posting in bad faith, because the idea that people might honestly have differing opinions and experiences never seems to cross their mind.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 16, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

. Also whether it would be worthwhile to spend the money on that goal vs e.g. reducing greenhouse gas emissions so that we all don't die, but that's a broader question.

So you are actually an amoral sociopath who will invoke a Malthusian big picture argument in order to justify refusing aid to the poor. "But guys what if helping the poor takes too many resources away from the rest of us and the human race all dies off" is some Gilded-age bullshit.

An amoral sociopath posted:

Given the expense and staffing required for Deteriorata's proposal, space would necessarily be limited, and given that it has no way to deal with the aforementioned problems, I would be skeptical that it could make a significant dent in the homeless/transient population of a major metro area.

I literally came through a facility that does very much what Detioriata has laid out and it has had a massive impact on the numbers of homeless people wandering the streets of San Antonio.

Finally you are clearly lying about working at a homeless shelter and are just making up stdh.txt horror stories in order to somehow lend credence to your amoral sociopathy with regards to people you regard as sub-human (the homeless).

Has it ever occurred to you that I'm not your enemy? I've spent my entire adult life in public services, and it's all I ever want to do. I want to help people and keep them safe.

Strait up bullshit. You don't know the first goddamn thing about working with the actual homeless/mentally ill and the simplistic ideas you have and complete ignorance about current programs that are successfully being implemented to combat homelessness give you away.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 16, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wunderground has it hitting PR as a Cat 3, apparently. Hopefully the models don't keep up.

This is hurricane 5 now?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Problem is, a lot of people think anyone who disagrees with them is posting in bad faith, because the idea that people might honestly have differing opinions and experiences never seems to cross their mind.

Haha, sorry, no.

You're just like the guy who shows up to the fascist protesting their free speech, waving Pepe around and then trying to deadpan "it's just a frog man".

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crabtree posted:

This is hurricane 5 now?

Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irma, Jose, Katia so far

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

Given the expense and staffing required for Deteriorata's proposal, space would necessarily be limited, and given that it has no way to deal with the aforementioned problems, I would be skeptical that it could make a significant dent in the homeless/transient population of a major metro area.

San Antonio's homeless solution used as national model:

San Antonio's local NBC affiliate posted:

SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- As Western Washington wrestles with how to help the area’s homeless population, one Texas city serves as a model for other cities around the country.

About 250 cities have come to visit Haven for Hope in San Antonio, Texas.

It’s a “one-stop shop” campus that’s dedicated to helping Bexar County’s homeless.

There are 30 agencies on its 22-acre campus. The services include housing, food, job training, child care and even kennels for pets, among other services. Mental health and addiction treatment is done across the street at the Restoration Center.

“All of the resources that a homeless person could need, if he or she is motivated, is centrally located right there,” said graduate Sam Lott, 52.

Haven for Hope reports it has had about 2,700 graduates move to permanent housing. About 4,600 others have moved into temporary housing, like in-housing treatment programs.

According to annual statistics, the number of the unsheltered homeless population has decreased about 15% since Haven started in 2010.

Keep in mind, the campus has not solved the city's homeless issue. The last homeless count shows about 2,800 people who are still unsheltered in the area.

"Let me say that the homeless will always be with you," said Greehey. "We’re not going to solve all the homeless problems that exist today."

Hey check it out Mr Expert- you don't know poo poo about what is actually happening at the national level w/r/t homeless treatment or research into what actually combats homelessness. Its almost like you are not arguing in good faith or something and are just making up whatever facts feel right to you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irma, Jose, Katia so far

Where did Franklin and Gert hit?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

How many juggalos even are there? Is being a Juggalo always about ICP or is it possible to be part of that community but not like the music? I'm just shocked that ICP would be popular enough for this to be a thing. The gang label is complete bullshit though so good on them for taking a stand, and the coverage so far has given positive vibes for them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Where did Franklin and Gert hit?

Franklin hit the Yucatan of Mexico, Gert hit fish.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

They aren't free, but they are the mechanisms we have chosen to deal with people who are routinely assaultive, larcenous, non-compliant, or unable to care for themselves through either mental or chemical incapacity. A group living situation as described has no way to deal with those people while maintaining its responsibility to provide a clean, safe and stable environment that fosters independence, and would end up shuttling them back to the current system. Deteriorata's proposal is expensive. Expense means limited space. Limited space means pressure to bounce out more difficult patients in order to make space for those likely to complete the program in two years.

Oh word and you calculated how expensive the proposal is vs the current system, and that's why you're arguing against it? You have numbers and data to back up your argument?

Oh, no, you obviously don't, because you're scum and you're just pulling poo poo out of your rear end and expecting us to take you seriously. gently caress you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

So you are actually an amoral sociopath who will invoke a Malthusian big picture argument in order to justify refusing aid to the poor. "But guys what if helping the poor takes too many resources away from the rest of us and the human race all dies off" is some Gilded-age bullshit.
How is that robber baron logic? I think climate change and environmental degradation is literally the most important issue we face as a country and a species, and if we don't get on top of it, millions of people and thousands of species are going to die. At best. Most of those people will be the poorest and most desperate ones. If IDGAF about the bottom 99%, I'd be saying we should pour money into SpaceX so Elon Musk can give us orbital Villa Straylight mansions to watch the carnage from.

Prester Jane posted:

I literally came through a facility that does very much what Detioriata has laid out and it has had a massive impact on the numbers of homeless people wandering the streets of San Antonio.

Finally you are clearly lying about working at a homeless shelter and are just making up stdh.txt horror stories in order to soemhow lend credence to your amoral sociopathy with regards to people you regard as sub-human (the homeless).
Which is why I asked about effectiveness and metrics.

I never said I work in a homeless shelter. I work in EMS and come into contact with homeless and transient patients on a regular basis.

Lemming posted:

Oh word and you calculated how expensive the proposal is vs the current system, and that's why you're arguing against it? You have numbers and data to back up your argument?
Literally no one party to this discussion has posted anything remotely resembling a plan with numbers. Deteriorata asked for criticisms and potential issues. I gave mine.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 16, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

How is that robber baron logic?

You are worried that feeding the poor will somehow kill off the race because there are already too many poor and the money would be better spent on preserving the non-poor against the impacts of resource crises that having too many poor is about to cause.

Yeah, refusing to feed a homeless American child today because of the problems climate change will be causing decades down the road is a perfectly normal argument that any empathetic human being would make.

Wrong. You asserted in complete ignorance that metrics and studies would bear your position out. Except that they don't and you refuse to address the posters who have linked you counter evidence.

The actual studies and metrics reveal you to be completely wrong, you are arguing agaisnt helping poor people because of your personal paranoia that there are too many of them and they are somehow a threat to society. You need a new line of work because your present one is really loving with your head and making you believe some monstrous poo poo.

In conclusion, go gently caress yourself you amoral sociopath.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Dead Reckoning posted:

I never said I work in a homeless shelter. I work in EMS and come into contact with homeless and transient patients on a regular basis.

There just might be some selection or other bias here.

Doesn't explain your eagerness to smear right wing think tank feces on the walls though.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

Literally no one party to this discussion has posted anything remotely resembling a plan with numbers. Deteriorata asked for criticisms and potential issues. I gave mine.

I linked to a report about Haven for Hope, a facility which is basically the Platonic ideal of what Detoriata is arguing for with a well-studied track record of success. It is in fact serving as a pilot program for multiple clones that are currently being constructed in a variety of major cities around the country. You would know this if you have bothered to click on the links provided instead of trying to argue that your confident ignorance should somehow be treated with respect. (Hint: it shouldn't and also gently caress you.)

In conclusion shut the gently caress up about things which you know nothing about, you amoral sociopath. No one cares about why you know better than the experts and the people with direct living experience of the situation you are making ignorant assertions about.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Guess what, America has more than enough capacity to afford helping the homeless and our citizens and working towards combating climate change.

But we won't and the least among us will continue to suffer.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have some more information, in case anyone would like. :)

Here's an evidence roundup on Housing First programs: http://whatworksforhealth.wisc.edu/program.php?t1=109&t2=126&t3=89&id=349

This also contains implementation resources, for people looking to design their own programs (Deteriorata I'm looking at you).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

Here's an evidence roundup on Housing First programs: http://whatworksforhealth.wisc.edu/program.php?t1=109&t2=126&t3=89&id=349

This also contains implementation resources, for people looking to design their own programs (Deteriorata I'm looking at you).

Hey, thank you. That will help quite a bit. Sorry about kicking off this whole derail, though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

You are worried that feeding the poor will somehow kill off the race because there are already too many poor and the money would be better spent on preserving the non-poor against the impacts of resource crises that having too many poor is about to cause.

Yeah, refusing to feed a homeless American child today because of the problems climate change will be causing decades down the road is a perfectly normal argument that any empathetic human being would make.
You know what? Screw you. If someone says, "hey you can feed this starving child right in front of you, or you can choose to prevent ten people on the other side of the planet from dying of preventable disease this year" it's not a failure of empathy if I pick the ten, it's a choice not to limit my empathy to what is right in front of me, not to limit my focus to immediate problems. I get that this issue is personal for you, but asking "would this be the best use of our limited resources?" isn't sociopathy, it's rationality.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thank you, I'll read that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Also I don't think EMS gives you any kind of insight into anything other than dealing with people in crisis who also happen to be homeless.

Like you are totally full of poo poo regarding your experience because it's completely 100 percent bias to how you actually interact with the homeless.

Your addressing a crisis not dealing with a homeless person.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

You know what? Screw you. If someone says, "hey you can feed this starving child right in front of you, or you can choose to prevent ten people on the other side of the planet from dying of preventable disease this year" it's not a failure of empathy if I pick the ten, it's a choice not to limit my empathy to what is right in front of me, not to limit my focus to immediate problems. I get that this issue is personal for you, but asking "would this be the best use of our limited resources?" isn't sociopathy, it's rationality.

Lmfao yeah for every homeless person we don't help 10 people's lives get saved, that's exactly how it works you loving moron

Edit: for every homeless person we leave on the street, ten cops get overtime for beating the poo poo out of them and locking them up, how dare you call me a sociopath for advocating for this

Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 17, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Lemming posted:

Lmfao yeah for every homeless person we don't help 10 people's lives get saved, that's exactly how it works you loving moron

If he really is an EMT it makes sense from a privatized ambulance point of view.

Having said that every EMT I've met willing to work for a private bus has been a well meaning libertarian

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

How is that robber baron logic? I think climate change and environmental degradation is literally the most important issue we face as a country and a species, and if we don't get on top of it, millions of people and thousands of species are going to die. At best. Most of those people will be the poorest and most desperate ones. If IDGAF about the bottom 99%, I'd be saying we should pour money into SpaceX so Elon Musk can give us orbital Villa Straylight mansions to watch the carnage from.

I forgot we can only solve one problem at once y'all

e:

Dead Reckoning posted:

lmao yes policy is an either/or proposition we can only either feed starving children or do public health work on disease

the only way you could say that you're arguing from a rational place is if you literally have no knowledge of the fact that governments can do more than one thing at once

you do know that so you're really not arguing the smartest position with the given information so either you're a hopeless moron or a pathetic troll

either way

stone cold fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2017

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
We could do something to actually help the homeless. On the other hand we could concoct weird trolley-problem hypotheticals to justify inaction and call it "rational". :thunk:

USPOL is back baby.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

I love optimization as much as the next guy, but this isn't some complicated issue like health care with multiple providers, numerous services, unorthodox demand curves, etc. We can cure homelessness by building houses and giving them to people, none of that is particularly complicated. May be expensive, and may or may not cure other problems as a side effect, but even if you don't fix mental illness you've still cured homelessness for millions.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mister Adequate posted:

This Juggalo kid got a better comprehension of what Makes America Great than a hell of a lot of other people do :unsmith:

I love the idea that Juggalos are roaming our nation's capital, aggressively hugging strangers and promoting a communal future.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

You know what? Screw you.

This whole "getting morally outraged while being a sociopath" thing you have going is really something, I'll tell you what.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

mdemone posted:

I love the idea that Juggalos are roaming our nation's capital, aggressively hugging strangers and promoting a communal future.

Yeah, my partner is out there and saw this cool sign!

Some more photos:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Well I mean since the the new year I was drinking at least a pint almost every day. I got super drunk one night and had a meltdown about a person in my life, I broke a TV etc. It was very bad and I never want to do that again.
:unsmith: :respek: :unsmith:

I mostly lurk but just wanted to say me too, exactly, to the pint-a-day/election bender/morning drinking/major personal crisis detail. I have six months next month and although the world's still a gigantic fuckoff mess I feel like it needs us to not be messes quite so much, so. Good for you, good for us. Carry on.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Party Plane Jones posted:

poo poo, I hope those tracks that have it headed toward Florida get revised. There's tons of people in SoFla that still don't have power, can't get back to their homes, etc. For example, there's stores in Boca that are wiped out of tons of foods because the restocking trucks are apparently so backed up. There's shitloads of debris everywhere still too.

Holy poo poo :lol: 2017 sure is something else

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

How is that robber baron logic? I think climate change and environmental degradation is literally the most important issue we face as a country and a species

Didn't you vote against the Paris Agreement because of Her Emails?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

isn't sociopathy, it's rationality.

Yes it is a failure of empathy. It's an abstraction used as an excuse allowing inaction.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If there is a starving child in front of you and you can do literally anything to make that better and don't you are probably a monster, hope this helps.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Dead Reckoning posted:

We have the resources to do both things. Actually we have the resources to do both of those things and a hell of a lot more.

If you have to construct a bizarre hypothetical to justify arguing against utilizing a proven policy with proven good outcomes, you are way far afield from where you should be. You have made an error. You have either seriously messed up somewhere in your initial premises, or you just really desperately have some sort of need to go "well I wish we could help these people, but we can't so sucks to be them I guess." There is absolutely no reason why we as a society cannot choose to prioritize both domestic homelessness and foreign aid targeting any number of diseases. The issue is allocation of existing societal resources (which includes the totality of the economy, and not just federal/state/local budgets), not availability of resources.

It is analogous to hunger - the issue is not really the amount of food produced globally, it is the allocation of that food, its waste and hoarding by people who already have what they need, corruption, and a lack of priorities. Similarly the money and resources to build cheap, minimal housing for the homeless exist - what is lacking is the political will to have governments use taxation to transfer that money for the purpose of aiding the homeless in this way. Martin Shkreli can go without his Wu-Tang album and a hundred people can be off the street. We have the ability to do this and do not. We can have the resources if we want to. They are in the economy. They exist.

Asking "would this be the best use of our limited resources?" when the resources actually aren't that limited is not rationality, it's being obtuse. And constructing a scenario where the "rational" choice is to ignore the suffering that you can immediately solve in front of you, when the scenario is really a false choice anyway...I mean, you should take a step back and think about what that says about you.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

spite house posted:

:unsmith: :respek: :unsmith:

I mostly lurk but just wanted to say me too, exactly, to the pint-a-day/election bender/morning drinking/major personal crisis detail. I have six months next month and although the world's still a gigantic fuckoff mess I feel like it needs us to not be messes quite so much, so. Good for you, good for us. Carry on.

We're gonna make it, baby! Failure is not an option.

I'm proud of you! If you ever need to chat, I'm here. :)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fraction Jackson posted:

We have the resources to do both things. Actually we have the resources to do both of those things and a hell of a lot more.

If you have to construct a bizarre hypothetical to justify arguing against utilizing a proven policy with proven good outcomes, you are way far afield from where you should be. You have made an error. You have either seriously messed up somewhere in your initial premises, or you just really desperately have some sort of need to go "well I wish we could help these people, but we can't so sucks to be them I guess." There is absolutely no reason why we as a society cannot choose to prioritize both domestic homelessness and foreign aid targeting any number of diseases. The issue is allocation of existing societal resources (which includes the totality of the economy, and not just federal/state/local budgets), not availability of resources.

It is analogous to hunger - the issue is not really the amount of food produced globally, it is the allocation of that food, its waste and hoarding by people who already have what they need, corruption, and a lack of priorities. Similarly the money and resources to build cheap, minimal housing for the homeless exist - what is lacking is the political will to have governments use taxation to transfer that money for the purpose of aiding the homeless in this way. Martin Shkreli can go without his Wu-Tang album and a hundred people can be off the street. We have the ability to do this and do not. We can have the resources if we want to. They are in the economy. They exist.

Asking "would this be the best use of our limited resources?" when the resources actually aren't that limited is not rationality, it's being obtuse. And constructing a scenario where the "rational" choice is to ignore the suffering that you can immediately solve in front of you, when the scenario is really a false choice anyway...I mean, you should take a step back and think about what that says about you.

Ding ding ding.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

God drat.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Dead Reckoning posted:

Dead Reckoning posted:

This poo poo right here is why I can't take a lot of the more militant UHC advocates seriously. "Beep boop, just take. all the F-35 money and use it to buy healthcare. So simple." The F-35 program is our only option to recapitalize our fighblah blah blah
hey you can feed this starving child right in front of you and you can choose to prevent ten people on the other side of the planet from dying of preventable disease this year, or you can build another dumb plane.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I know this is a little off topic and not related to homeless people, but I hear Levin types talk often about the national debt, and how going ever deeper into debt and never paying it back is a bad thing. I don't believe him, because there's no way it's that simple and I'm predisposed to not believe anything he says, But I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Could someone help me out here? What prevents ever increasing debt from, for example, reaching a level of interest the US simply can't pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

stone cold posted:

I forgot we can only solve one problem at once y'all
Give me a call when you've solved the reality of limited resources.

Fraction Jackson posted:

Oh cool, all we need to do is totally re-orient our economy without any of the corruption, waste and violence that normally accompanies such affairs. I'm sure glad we don't have to think about scarcity any more. You child. Observing that there is enough wealth in the economy to do what you want is like observing that we have enough steel in the world to build a ladder to the moon: pointless and naive. Other people get a say, and planning without considering what resources you might reasonably utilize isn't planning at all. "Oh but we can do all things at once and never have to make hard choices as soon as we seamlessly harness our economic output to Full Socialism Now" is a fantasy to avoid making uncomfortable decisions, to avoid having to make the judgments you don't want to make. You want to run our society like a person who never goes to the doctor because they hate bad news, who never goes to the dentist because they're afraid of pain.

• Locked thread