Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Our team’s back together, Daiya still resting cozily at #1 while Kenji and Ichitaka compete with one another. The Jeeg path gave a total of about 120k more money than the other, so that’s what I kept.

Random upgrades everywhere, with Hyouma taking an extra pip in weapons since he was still at two.

The EVAs and Iczer-3 are deploying as event units, so we make a few changes. Do note that we’re not finally starting to run low on deployment slots – the next mission only allows 16 – so a few good people’ll need to start getting benched.
Ozma/Luca
Daiya/Yanma
Kouichi/Quatre
Ichitaka/Mil
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Voltes/Dick
Alto/Michel
Combatler/Deceive
Shinn/Luna
Goh/Anna
Tetsuya/Canaria
Rey/Domyoji
Kouji/Yagyuu
Dancouga/Yamashita
Ken/Lou

Off we go.

: You’re not getting away from me! TAAAH! (Mari)
: !!

: Urgh… drat, this hurts so bad…!
: But… it’s so much fun!
: Sorry we couldn’t get you one of the newer suits in time. (Kaji)
: Yeah, I can barely breathe with how tight this is.
: To say nothing of the fact that we had to send you off into combat with the Provisional Unit, right? Apologies for that too.
: Forget about it. I’m just happy to finally be piloting.
: That’s all on you, little firebrand. But good luck out there.

*Bloop.*

: …Field, redeployed…! Oohoho, I’m getting all tingly here!

: Yeesh, this thing moves like a rock…! Then we’re just gonna have to brute-force it!

: Time’s running out… and the unit’s not holding either. The spare arms weren’t synced right, so they’re not strong enough…!

: Hrrgh, fine! You want this arm so bad, take it!

: Now hurry up and…DIIIIIEEEEEEE!!

: Well, the #05’s self-destruct program worked like a dream…
: Still, it’s a shame we need to have these kids do our dirty work. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth…

Nearby…

: Owowowow…. Syncing with an EVA was even more brutal than advertised.
: But I’m alive, so that’s all that matters. Bon voyage, EVA-05. It was a real honor working with you…

Time for the usual catch-up after a route split, but this one doesn’t really have any amusing bits. Both sides end with Ichitaka asking where Iczer-3’s at, and Nagisa says she’s always waiting by the sleeping Nagisa’s side. Also, it feels really awkward for her to refer to someone with the same name as her.
Quatre surmises that Nagisa Kasumi was exhausted from piloting the Iczer Robo, and she confirms. Mind, Canaria said her condition was nowhere as bad as the first Nagisa’s, so she should be waking up soon.

: Haah, Haah… Where… Where am I…?!

quote:

: I’ve no bindings around my feet today, Iczer-1… I’ll destroy you with my own strength!
: Nagisa, we must summon the Iczer Robo as well!
: Right! Let’s go, Iczer-1!

: That’s… the Iczer Robo? And me…?
: No, it’s that girl… Nagisa Kanou? And they’re fighting together…

*Beam! Craaaaash!*

: WAAAAAAAH!

: Ah…?!
: A dream…? No… those memories were…
: Ah, Sleeping Beauty’s back with us?
: Nagisaaa!
: Michel… and Iczer-3. Oh, that’s right… I was asleep…
: Looks like your fatigue’s fully gone. Now… we’re sorry to spring this on you so soon after you’re awake, but we’ve something to talk with you about.
: Though I’m not sure how to begin…
: Do you mean how Alto and Michel have been fighting the Cthulhu? How they’re working with JUDA?
: It figures you would’ve put two and two together, I guess. We wanted to come clean some time… but we still apologize for keeping quiet, Nagisa.
: The fact is Alto, Luca and I have teamed up with the ZAFT folk. We’re mercenary pilots, a separate force from the NUNS.
: No, no, it’s fine… I understand that you didn’t want us to worry.
: Good to hear… wait a minute, no, something’s off here! Aren’t you taking this way too well for someone who’s been asleep all this time?!
: I… suppose that’s true. We were all expecting you to be dumbfounded and lash out over this bombastic revelation.
: I saw it in a dream… How all of you, and Nagisa Kanou, were fighting these robots and monsters…
: That’s far too detailed for a dream, I think.
: I don’t really get what’s going on, but maybe I’ve been seeing parts of Nagisa’s memories as dreams…?
: Come to think of it, you did mention way back that you’d been having those strangely real-looking dreams, right?
: Yeah. I wasn’t sure what to make of them, but it kind of makes sense when I look at it that way.
: And here I thought I’d seen so much occult business that nothing would surprise me again…

: … And with all that said, I’m happy to be officially working with you guys.
: Listen, things may be calm now, but we’ll likely get dragged into battle again. Aren’t you scared of that?
: I’ve made up my mind on this… I know it’s my destiny to fight with Iczer-3.
: You’re so strong… unlike me.
: Not really; you’re the only reason I managed to get strong in the first place. The pain you had to bear, how you feel for Iczer-1… all of it came to me.
: This is so weird… How could my memories and experiences appear in your dreams?
: Woo-hoo! Nagisa’s all better, and Nagisa-1’s doing good too! I’m gonna keep this streak rolling in the next battle too!
: Hey, Iczer-3. You said the two of us are partners, right?
: Yup!
: Then I want you to make me a promise. That you’ll be more careful, and stop fighting so recklessly.
: Whaa?! But how am I gonna protect you, then?! Besides, fighting’s so much fun!
: And do you know how badly I’d feel if you got hurt doing that?
: Being partners means being friends. And here on Earth, being friends means trusting and looking after each other.
: That’s right, Iczer-3. You’d feel bad if our LOTUS friends got hurt, wouldn’t you?
: Sister Gray told me to listen to the Nagisas but… Ooh, this is a toughie…
: It might be tough for a kid to wrap her head around it, but you’ll get there.

Time for Alice to check in with the JUDA techs again. Have they figured out what happened to her body during the Straybird attack? From what Rachel imagines, having to personally control the Rushbird’s energy flow overheated both the regular and combat-oriented sectors of her AI. The radical increase in irradiation and throughput lead to her organic parts being transformed temporarily.
Whatever the case, Maki chides them for doing something so crazy – the Rushbird’s dimensional interference capabilities haven’t even been thoroughly tested, haven’t they? Ichitaka apologizes, saying they weren’t really thinking of the dangers back then, and Rachel concedes that they were out of options.
HOWEVER, she now wants them to defer to Misato’s judgement on whether or not to use that trick again – if they screw it up, the out-of-control energy could level everything around them. Granted, seeing how Ichitaka absolutely can’t handle that, and Alice has her own difficulties, he figures we can’t really try it anyway.

With that in mind, Ichitaka asks Kosuke if there isn’t any way he could make things easier for his partner, and the kid figures there is. Ichitaka can just take over some of the energy management responsibilities. Not something he could learn on the fly, of course, but Yamashita figures he could familiarize himself with it over the sim.
Ichitaka apologizes for having to impose on him again, having realized during the showdown with Himika/Mimetic Beasts that he still has a long way to go. Yamashita sas it’s all good, and he just needs to use that realization as motivation.

Kosuke and the group set out to reproduce the Rushbird’s systems inside the simulator, leaving Rachel to ponder how much Ichitaka’s grown despite his young age. Yamashita himself seems to be getting over his dependency on Reiji, and she only wishes Kouichi could do the same. Maki disagrees: “he’s also growing. Little by little, sure, but it’s happening.”
Truth enough. Rachel’s seen that Kouichi’s been, for instance, slowly acting more responsible as he tries to be THE SENIOR for Shinji. Speaking of, where is the kid? He’s supposed to be running some of his usual tests soon.
From what Maki’s heard, he’s visiting his mother’s grave.

Cut to the Cthulhu Fortress, Neos Gold is getting to work with the Iczelio. By using it, she’ll be capable of creating a new, powerful warrior to replace the still-recovering Iczer-2 in battle (and the disposed of Fiber and Insect, too). With a lightshow, Neos Gold commands the warrior born from the stolen Iczelio – Atross – to awaken!

Elsewhere, Golem passes the news along to Bigro. Neos isn’t about to underestimate LOTUS again, and is ready to send in this new warrior if Bigro isn’t confident in her ability to seize Nagisa Kasumi.
Bigro, of course, is insulted by that: she can get the job done without taking help from either Golem or this Atross. Fair enough, Golem tells her to remember that vow and leaves. Bigro’s heading out, too, sniffing at the thought of the new warrior. If the girl even so much as troubles her slightly, she’ll tear her to shreds!

: It’s been three years since we came here together.
: I remember that I ran back then… and I hadn’t come since. It still doesn’t feel real that mom’s buried here. I can’t even picture her face anymore…
: It’s by forgetting that people live on. That said, there are some memories that must never be forgotten.
: Yui taught me so much – things I could never replace if I tried. I come here precisely to remind myself of it all.
: Do you have no pictures of her?
: There are none left – even this grave’s just a piece of décor. Nothing of her remains.
: You got rid of everything, huh? My teacher said you would.
: I still have it all, safely within my heart. That will do for now.

*Helicopter!*

: …It’s time. I’ll be heading back.
: … Dad!
: …
: Um… Thank you for today. I’m glad we could talk…
: … I see.

*Helicopter away!*

: See, Shinji? You were so worried about this, but you two spoke and nothing bad happened.
: Despite your reservations, it was good that you came here with him, right? I mean, this is your mother’s grave.
: I only came here because you pretty much forced me to.
: Only because I knew that, deep down, you wanted to do this. You should be a bit more honest about how you feel.
: … If I did, I’d probably just be miserable.
: Come, now. You rose above and beyond everyone’s expectations during both Operation Yashima and the battle with the Mimetic Beasts.
: So believe in yourself. I’m sure your father does.

*Beep!*

: Katsuragi speaking.
: The 7th Angel has appeared at Sagami Bay! LOTUS has been asked to deploy right away!
: What?!
: The SDF troops are trying to keep it pinned down, but conventional weapons are pretty much useless against it.
: Copy that. I’m heading back to HQ with the #01’s pilot. Can the #00 deploy?
: Neither can, actually: both units are still undergoing repairs. We’ll be finished soon, but they won’t be deploying until then…
: Trying to repair both at once to save time blew up on our faces… Speed things up as much as you can. We’ll be there in a few!
: As you say. We’ll prioritize finishing up the #01 as quick as can be done.

*Boop.*

: Of all the worst possible moments… We’ve to hurry, Shinji!
: OK!

Mission 23 - The Warriors' Encounter

: We’ve reconfirmed the Angel’s route: it’s headed directly towards NERV HQ in Neo Tokyo 3!
: Its shape might be different, but this one’s still after the same as the others…
: Are they being commanded by someone, or are they simply following an instinct…? There’s so much we don’t know about them.
: Whatever the case, we can’t let it get any further.
: All we can do is keep the thing stuck here. We gotta wait ‘til Shinji and Rei make it over.
: Iczer-3?

: !! Iczer-3 deployed?!
: Iczer-3! The captains haven’t given the green-light to deploy yet!
: I’m getting a very bad feeling… As in “the Nagisas are gonna be in big danger” kind of bad!
: Please, Uncle Arthur! Lemme deploy on this one!
: U-Uncle…
: I ask the same. Something’s been bothering me for a bit, too.
: (Does she have some sort of precognitive abilities like Iczer-1 and Lulu…?)
: Alright. If you say so, I’ll allow it.
: Thanks, Lulu!
: And deploy the rest of our units too!

Kill the Angel, don’t lose any ships or Iczer-3. No, really, you need to do this without any mooks to help your guys build up morale.
Good news is that most of your Supers should be more than well-equipped to pop the A.T. Field even at base morale; bad news is that the target hits HARD. Don’t go too crazy with SP, as there’s more coming, only prioritizing defensive spirits. Support Attacks from your bigger hitters will also really help.

Clockiel, The Seventh Angel
Mech Features:
A.T. Field (Strong)
30% HP and EN regen

What, they replaced the cool Israfel fight with THIS? Please…
Same deal as the other Angels: it hurts, it’s somewhat resilient but will fall quickly if you can reliably pop its barrier, and has a MAPW centered on himself.
Spend a turn to get your folks close enough, and swarm for a one-turn kill. Its strongest attack is range 1-3, so if you can outrange that, all the better.

: That clock-like bit… it’s like it’s taunting us to attack.
: Oh, boy, look at him wanting us to rush the thing down. Way he’s focusing on that red thing, he oughta be piloting an ox mech.
: It’s all good, I say. Humanity’s on the line here, so I say we psych ourselves up and sink our teeth into that Angel!
: Letting our instincts run loose has been feeling more and more natural nowadays, huh? And with that in mind…
: Let’s go wild!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPOo4BP6Ehg
Here’s its best attack.

: Didja hear? I got possessed by this evil spirit and saw Hell with my own two eyes! Now it’s your turn, and Jeeg’ll dunk you straight down there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-oJLKXtBD4

: We managed to get rid of even the Mimetic Beasts. Should only be a matter of time before the Angels go the same way…
: And I’ll carry on fighting until that day arrives! Me and all my teammates!

: This is the fourth time we’ve fought the Angels… You gotta admire enemies that always cook up a different gimmick for every attack!
: Still, there’s absolutely not gonna be a Third Impact while I’m here to say anything about it!

: Hrk… I can’t even anticipate how it’s gonna attack by looking at it. What a pain in the rear end…
: Guess that leaves only closing in and shooting ‘til it stops moving…!

: How is this dippy bird-looking thing as dangerous as it is?! But, alright, here I come to toss you into the trash!

Iczer-3: “Found a baddiiee!”

: It’s up to the seniors to make sure our undergrads have a bit of an easier time! Here we go, Linebarrel!

Get the Angel below 28k, and…

: Look at how fast it regens…!
: Why does it always feel like there’s no way for us to beat these things?!
: Now what’s going on there…? Guess the EVAs really are the only ones that can take on an Angel.

: Bah, missed the core…! (Asuka)
: A red Evangelion…?

: You’re not going to last long if you go at it like that, Asuka. Go and reconnect your cable! (Hilde)
: That’s the Death Scythe and a Taurus!
: Hey there, Quatre. We just came back from Germany – and we brought gifts, too.
: Duo! What a relief to see you well!
: So you two were assigned to back up the EVA-02’s tests, huh?
: A Preventer agent’s work is never done, ya know how it is. But never mind that now; can you folks handle the #02’s cable?
: Of course. Pilot of the #02, step by the Daiku Maryu please!
: No need. I can easily drop that Angel before the battery runs out!
: Hey, now, don’t be so full of yourself. It’s not good for you! This is a real battle, so you know anything can happen, right, miss?
: …! You’re preaching to the choir, kid!

*Asuka moves by the Daiku Maryu.*

: There. Happy now?
: Very!
: Whew… that girl didn’t even give Asuka’s crusty shtick a chance.
: She’s being a bit more watchful of her teammates, isn’t she?
: Seems Nagisa’s words got through to her.
: We’ve a way to dispatch the Angel now. Troops, support the EVA-02 and eliminate the target!
: Alright, let’s get back to it! I’ll show everyone the power of a real Evangelion!

Evangelion Unit #02 (Asuka Langley Shikinami)
Pilot Skills:
Sync Rate
Sword Cut
Shoot Down
Counter
Support Attack L2
Attack Combo L1
Mech Features:
Sword
Gun
A.T. Field
Umbilical Cable
Spirit Commands:
Sense
Focus
Fury
Faith
Squad Bonus: Melee weapons’ power +100, Crit ratio +10, exp gained +10%, Land terrain rating: A

Why’d they feel the need to change her surname? I liked Souryu better… Also, is her hair darker?
Regardless, Asuka’s built pretty much the opposite of Shinji: she’s melee-focused in attacks and stats, though her defenses aren’t as good, she’s way more likely to crit, but her range is mediocre. The #02 IS somewhat weaker than the #01 as far as raw weapon power is concerned, but its morale and EN requirements are significantly lower.
All in all, the EVA-02 is still a fine unit and, as with MX, you can absolutely deploy Asuka for the rest of the game.

Gundam Death Scythe Hell (Duo Maxwell)
Pilot Skills:
Sword Cut
Shoot Down
Counter
Support Attack L2
Attack Combo L2
Spirit Commands:
Invincible
Focus
Accelerate
Fighting Spirit
Mech Features:
Sword
Gun
Active Cloak – reduces beam damage by 1000
Hyper Jammer – over 130 morale, 40% chance to outright evade an incoming attack (mitigated by Skill difference)
Squad Bonus: crit rate +10, melee weapons’ power +100, Water terrain rating: A

Sure would have loved to have you WAY earlier in the game, Duo. As in, when I was drowning in water stages!
Duo, as always, is a reliable unit simply due to the Death Scythe knowing exactly what it’s supposed to do and being tailored towards it. Mind you, he’s not as powerful as he was in W due to L’s penchant for giving melee attacks piddly range: his Beam Scissors only reaches up to 1-2, which isn’t that great.
You can compare Duo against Quatre, only he’s completely offense and dodge oriented, in contrast to the latter’s support spec. Quatre has the Magnac guys to give him a lot more reach, though. On the flip side, Duo DOES have a rather accurate MAPW that hits everything in a 1-3 range… problem is, like in W, it is not post movement and will hit your guys as well. Sending him into a big group for set-up can be dangerous with L’s evasion decay, so watch it.
Still, he’s got accelerate, water terrain and a melee boost, so we can certainly field him as someone’s squaddie.

Taurus (Hilde Schbeiker)
Pilot Skills:
Shoot Down
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L2
Attack Combo L1
Spirit Commands:
Cheer
Focus
Alert
Lucky
Mech Features:
Gun
Transform
Resupply Module
Squad Bonus: Money earned +10%, armor +10%, 1000 Barrier, HP+500

If Rei’s the likely best defensive support, I’ll say Hilde is the best pure supporter we have right now (I won’t say forever, as later entries might change that). You mean Noin could be rocking THIS Taurus all along if she hadn’t painted hers the Cinq Kingdom’s colors?! Sheesh.
I’m guessing someone at Banpresto really likes Hilde, because they pretty much gave her everything needed to secure a permanent spot as any Super’s squadmade for the rest of the game. I am even seriously considering upgrading her straight to 50% to further boost that bonus. Having a Resupply Module for a constant 10% EN regen is just the cherry on top.
As a pilot, though, Hilde is pretty dang middling. Her stats are the worst of any Gundam Wing units, and if I could have Noin take her place in this Taurus, I would (why can’t I, Banpresto?!). Still, you really should try to make it work simply due to how amazing the unit itself is.

Now, back to work.

: I gotta hit a slim target like that…? But, still, we can’t let it push us back!

: Only thing that’ll work for us is bashing that guy with the biggest hit we can manage. Pick us an easy-to-tag spot, Hyouma!
: You got it! We’re going straight for its “head”!

: Is this really a living creature? Its whole body’s hollow…!
: Common sense doesn’t really apply to these… They’re like the Vajra in that way!

: I can handle Angels just fine by myself! Everyone’ll see that we don’t need LOTUS for this!

: That’s gotta be its weak spot – its core – right up there!
: I see no problems with that assessment. The first two Angels we fought always had their cores exposed, so this one’s likely the same.
: I dunno how much of this guy’s punishment the Rushbird can take, but we’ll at least try and keep it stuck here!

: This sensation is… Iczer-3, something’s coming!
: Let them! We’ll see what’s been bugging us!

: I am Bigro, one of Neos Gold’s four generals, and I am here to claim Nagisa Kasumi!
: drat it, not now!
: Iczer-3… We’ll see how much of your power remains once you’re taken far from this battlefield. There’ll be no one left to protect the girl after I’m done.

: Wah?!
: Monica!
: We’re detecting an energy distortion around Iczer-3 and the Cthulhu!
: I see… By doing that, they’ll be able to fight to the death and no one’ll be able to do anything about it. It’s something of a death match arena.
: No way out of this for me, huh, granny?
: That’s right. Come!

: Iczer-3 and the Cthulhu have both vanished from our sensors!
: Iczer-3…! Luca, do we know where she went?!
: I’ve got nothing…! It looked like she was warped somewhere else…!
: Maybe it’s like when Nagisa and I were kidnapped…?
: But Iczer-1 came and saved us back then…
: Oh, no…! Is there nothing I can do for her, then…?!

: What’s wrong, Iczer-3? Is that all you have?
: U-Urgh… Why… Why am I feeling so weak…?
: Accept your defeat. The source of your strength, your partner, is still in regular space, forever out of reach. And now you’ll die without so much as a parting word from her!

: Nagisa… help…! NAGISAAA!

*Back in the real world.*

: (Nagisa… help…! NAGISAAA!)
: Iczer-3?!
: What is it?
: She... Iczer-3’s calling me! She’s begging me for help… and I can’t do anything…
: … Yes, you can. Focus, and call out to her.
: Huh?
: Distance means nothing to the bonds between partners. If you really want to help Iczer-3, then I know that wish will reach her.
: …Alright. I’ll try.
: (Stay strong, Iczer-3! I’m there with you…!)

: Die!
: (Stay strong, Iczer-3! I’m there with you…!)
: …Nagisa?!

: Okay, Nagisa! I’ll be strong!

: Curse you…! You still stand?!
: I’ve Nagisa with me, and no one’ll beat me while she’s there! Ever! Iczeeer… BOOOMB!!

: Captain! There’s Iczer-3!
: Ooorgh…! It can’t be…!
: How’d you like THAT!
: Oh, thank god you’re safe, Iczer-3!
: …Kill me, then! Death is all that awaits me now that I’ve failed…!
: If you say so… Consider it your punishment for trying to hurt my friends.

*Energy charge!*

: Iczer-3, stop!
: Why, Nagisa? She’d make you and Nagisa-1 suffer so much if I hadn’t beaten her!
: I know that. But she can’t fight anymore, right?
: Please, Iczer-3.
: Fiiine… I guess I can forgive you, granny.
: And listen… maybe you don’t need to go back to Neos Gold? I’m sure you could find a nice, quiet place to live somewhere.
: You… You mean to dishonor me further?!
: N-No, I… I can still fight! Come and face me, Iczer-3! You and your humans!

: Hahahaha! Oh, I can’t watch anymore! How can you call yourself one of Lady Neos’ warriors after that?
: ?!
: If you want to die fighting this much, I can make that happen. Lady Neos told me that the weak had to be made an example of!

: GAAAAAAAH?!

: She’s with the Cthulhu?! They killed their own friends again?!
: Who are you?! You look like me…
: I am Atross, and I am here to kill you in Lady Neos’ name!
: Atross…? And why’d you have to go and kill Bigro?!
: Didn’t she say she wanted to die? You were taking too long, so I decided to do it myself… Actually, shouldn’t you be thanking me for that?
: All units form up around the EVA-02 and prioritize destroying the Angel!
: We don’t know how strong the new Cthulhu android is, though, so you’ll have to also back Iczer-3 up!
: Aah, come on! We’re busy enough already!
: Just leave the Cthulhu to us, Asuka. You worry about the Angel!
: You say, like ignoring them would be that easy…!
: Good luck, Iczer-3…!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And it’s dead! :v:

: What the hell?! Didn’t we get the core?!
: That was just a fake, by the looks of it!
: A biological decoy… The Angels really are a mystery.
: Save the admiration for later, Johnny! Where is the real core, then?!
: We’ll just be shooting blind if we can’t get a bead on it!
: … I figured out where it was after my attack. Back off and let me handle this.
: Alright, please do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0WOcRsLGI

: OK, next!

And that’s that. Now we just need to wipe out the Cthulhu and we’ve done this plenty before. As far as stats go, Atross, like Iczer-3, is a slightly worse fighter than her elder sisters. Treat her accordingly, same for the regular Dilos, as this fight’s pretty much a redo of Angel Down.
Even if you’ve already moved Iczer-3 this round, most, if not all, of the Dilos should be too far away to reach her yet. Don’t send her, or the Preventers, too far ahead before your main group comes in, though, or evasion decay might get her shot down – which is a game over.
Finally, there’s a big river right through the middle of the map, so your land-bound units (which is about half of them) will have to make do with the main bridge available. Liberal use of Accel is encouraged – nobody wants giant robots jamming their morning commute.

Most of our troops are either spent or still moving thatta way.

Enemy Phase!

And, yeah, only one in the upper group of Dilos gets to attack anything.

But, when that’s Tetsuya, it’s no big deal.

Player Phase!

The Celleblader also boosts water terrains, so Ken has no problems with going swimming.

: Let us see whether or not you are worthy of my blade…

--

: My revenge is over. Starting today, I’ll be fighting for everyone else… Watch over me, dad…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4CsHzfVio
Here’s Ken and Lou’s combined attack. “… Wait for me in Hell!”
Following that, Iczer-3, Shinn and Tetsuya take a kill each while the rest of our group spreads evenly between north and south.

Oh, what the hey.

: Our debut battle as part of LOTUS sure is a tough one. Guess I drew the short straw again…
: Well, whatever. We gotta make up for being late to this party. Here we go, buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf_UHrY1w54
This reminds me that I still need to redo W… blah.

Enemy Phase!

Iczer-3, Hiroshi, Jeffrey and Duo get pestered by the incoming mob. Only the latter two score kills.

Player Phase!

And now we go to town on the weakened mooks.

All but, like, five Dilos survive the oncoming slaughter.

Make that four.

: I’m not sure how useful I’ll be with this Taurus, but if we’re fighting for peace, then you’ll get no complaints from me!

Bam.

Enemy Phase!

I don’t really have anything special to say here.

These things have long since stopped being a problem, and they’re getting oneshotted left and right.

Player Phase!

Whatever’s still left of the Dilos is dealt with, and Hiroshi gets to show off his Panzeroid pants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AdTTesDOG4

Now we set our sights on Atross, who’s only just starting to move after Iczer-3 (though she didn’t attack anyone).

: How do you want to do this? Maybe figure out which of us is the fastest?
: You got it!!
: You’re playing right in her hands, Iczer-3! Are you listening?! Iczer-3!
: She’s too incensed, I think… My voice isn’t even reaching her.

: Guess Iczer-3 also “lucked out” in the stalker department.
: You say that, but aren’t you feeling a bit lonely with how long it’s been since the R-Daigun showed up?
: Don’t be silly, you. Now, we better do something about this kid and get her to stop bullying Iczer-3.
: Oh, you don’t need to worry about that. I plan on making this my first and last battle with her!

: Hey, aren’t you like Iczer-3’s baby sister or something? Then quit trying to kill her!
: I’m a warrior built by Lady Neos. While she may be a Battle Type like me, that hardly makes us sisters!
: She doesn’t even care…! Guess she took after Iczer-2, then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2efgntVWJA

: Not bad, humans. You too, Iczer-3, though that’s what I’d expect from another Battle Type!
: Huh…?
: You’re the same as me, no? You were born to fight!
: No way, that’s not who I am!
: You don’t even know what you are, do you? Take a look. Aren’t we so like each other?
: I saw that, but then I realized something: outside of our looks, we’re very different!
: And on this subject, Lady Neos had plenty to say about you guys. Some of you were given life just to fight too.
: Kch…!
: And wasn’t it the same for the Jama Kingdom? They were born to do battle, and now they’re gone – both times by the hands of humans.
: Urgh, enough with your blah, blah, blah! What’re you getting at?!
: That we’re all the same: us, the Jama Kingdom… and you folks.
: Sure, the Zentradi were originally created to fight, but I don’t really care for you labeling them all just because of that.
: Our ancestors eventually met with other civilizations, and managed to find a different path than war!
: Right! You’re suggesting everyone’s life is decided at the moment they’re born, and that’s a load of bull!
: Hmph… I guess you really are idiots. We’re warriors and, as such, the only thing that matters is who’s stronger!
: Quit talking crazy at my friends! Now you’ve made me mad… I’m gonna mess you up!

: Someone born to fight… You’re letting your birth define who you are, and that’s what’s pushing you to this…
: I don’t remember ever asking for your pity. I fight because I like to fight.

: On the outside, she doesn’t look all that different from Lou… But she really is as strong as Iczer-3.
: You’re right, Goh. Her appearance may be of a kid, but inside she’s a weapon!
: Hey! You’re being mean to Iczer-3!
: Ah… I-I didn’t mean it like that! What I wanted to say is that you can’t underestimate her…!
: What are they thinking, bickering with a battle raging around them…? Well, I don’t mind, so long as they make for a good match!

: Iczer-2 and Iczer-1, Atross and Iczer-3… Is pitting look-alikes against each other part of someone’s plan or something?!
: I don’t really care if it is or isn’t. Just being able to fight Iczer-3’s enough for me!

: My targets are only Iczer-3 and Nagisa Kasumi. I don’t care about you.
: Maybe you don’t, but I do! I’m not just gonna hang back when someone’s gunning for my friends!
: “Friends”? Psh, what nonsense… With the exception of Lady Neos and Big Gold, all others are just enemies in my eyes.
: That tells me you just don’t know how important friends are… I’d never have gotten as strong as I did if I didn’t have my friends and my teammates…!
: Come on, then. Show me that strength of yours!

: Way these things usually go, I figured we’d be getting an Iczer-4 or Iczer-0 after 3… Guess I was wrong.
: We’ll see how long your chatter lasts against me.

: drat it, think… How was it that I fought that Cthulhu during Angel Down…?
: Looking a bit frustrated, aren’t we…? But thinking won’t do you any good against me, so let’s get right to it.

: I can tell they’re fearless just by looking at them. That’s quite the steely resolve they have.
: Whatever you might look like, you’re with the heartless mob that attacked Mihoshi. I don’t hold back against people like you!
: And I wouldn’t want you to! We duel!

: Can’t you just keep out of this? I finally have my chance to fight another Battle Type and I want to enjoy it!
: I can kinda get where you’re coming from… but that don’t mean I’ll leave Iczer-3 hanging in the wind!

: I’ve no idea how strong you are, but I know for a fact you’re not good enough to take on the #02!
: Well, look at you, being all hard working. Still, you really should have a better grasp on your own limits!

: Sorry, kid, but I don’t hold back on my slaps! Brace yourself, ‘cause your butt’s gonna be deep red by the time I’m done teaching ya a lesson!
: “Brace myself”? I’ve no reason to do that against you.

: I’m a Battle Type! I am not being beaten like this!

: That girl… she really thinks fighting is her only purpose in life…
: The way of the warrior… rather, of destruction, was instilled in her since the moment she was born.
: An adept of Shurado… I did not expect this young girl to hold such a spirit.
: But she only thinks like because they filled her mind with bad stuff…!
: Those two shouldn’t be fighting each other…! I have to stop this!

*Open door!*

: Huh?! Wait! Where’re you going?!
: There is always only one winner! Come and face me!

: (She really is strong… What’s going on with me? My heart’s racing.)
: How do you like it? There’s nothing better than fighting for your life, is there?
: Ah…!
: Hah, I knew it. You are a Battle Type like me.
: I told you I’m not like that!
: That’s enough, both of you!
: What? Who dares try to stop our battle?!
: Nagisa?! There’s a battle going on! Why’s she standing on the ship’s deck?!
: Hmph… So that’s Nagisa, Iczer-2’s potential partner…
: And if she does become her partner, I won’t be needed anymore… Nagisa… you rotten human!
: She’s not rotten! She’s someone very dear to me! Someone who makes me so much stronger!
: Oh, really? Then I’ll take the time to make sure this “very dear someone” can never get in the way of my battles again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7Sw6wsxUI

: You alright, Iczer-3?!
: I’m fine… What about Nagisa…?
: I’m here, Iczer-3! I’m okay!
: AHAHAHAHA…! What a moron you are! What were you thinking, jumping in front of that beam?!
: I’m not like you, that’s why…!
: You’re still going with that…?
: Because… Because I’ve Nagisa with me!
: How many times do I have to tell you before it sinks into your thick skull? We are Battle Types… we fight, and that’s it!
: Atross… Please, listen to me.
: Excuse me…?
: What’re you still doing there, Nagisa?! It’s too dangerous!
: It’s fine, Michel… I need to talk to her.
: Atross. You were also born from the Iczelio, like Iczer-3 was, weren’t you?
: I know nothing about that. I am the daughter of Lady Neos – she gave me life!
: Wrong! I can feel the warm light inside your heart… It’s the same light Iczer-3 has!
: Silence! I’ll just kill… you and… Wh-What? My body… I can’t move…!
: What… Why am I feeling so weird… ?
: Atross…
: The Icze…lio…? S-Stop…!

: Gaaaaaaaaaah!!

: Oh, wow! You beat her, Nagisa!
: No, no… Actually, I think we might be friends someday.
: What, with her? No way!
: Hahah… But never mind me. Are you really alright?
: Hmm, I’m actually kinda tired… and my body really hurts… I think I need… a bit of sleep… Night-night, Nagisa…

: Iczer-3…?!
: Get her to the infirmary, quick!
: We’ll handle the rest of the battle!
: Okay!

The battle’s already over!

: All enemy forces, including the Angel, have been confirmed destroyed.

: Huh…? The battle’s…?
: Guess we took a bit too long.
: And that’s mission complete. Returning to ship.

I forgot to have Shinn attack the Angel, so here’s his line:

: The destruction left throughout this coast is all because we couldn’t stop the Junius Seven drop…!
: And I’m not about to let more tears be shed because of me!

Duo finally catches up with Quatre after so long – he’d no idea they were coming to meet up with our squad. In truth, their transfer was expected to happen tomorrow, but they caught wind of the Angel’s appearance while transporting the #02 and decided to do something about it.
And there are plenty of folks around they don’t know, so Duo asks Quatre to introduce them to everyone. Nearby, Shinji’s apologizing for their late arrival, but Yamashita says it was just bad luck things went down when they did. Kouichi’s way more focused in the EVA-02, loving its boss-like color – red really is the manliest of colors!
Ichitaka ponders that that the pilot’s way of fighting was also very different from the other EVA pilots. Shinji figures the pilot must have received some intensive training, but Rei hasn’t heard anything about it.

Asuka struts on over, liking that they can see how the difference between them extends beyond their units’ coloring. For one, the #00 and #01 are, respectively the prototype and test models – not the #02, though! It’s the first true-to-form, combat-oriented EVA in the world!
Yamashita recognizes her voice from the battle and Misato officially introduces her as the #02’s pilot. She’ll also be working part of LOTUS from now on. Goh thanks her for the assist with the Angel, but Asuka says she didn’t do it after their praise: “I was just carrying out my duty as one of the elite few.”
Seems to Misato that her personality hasn’t mellowed over since they last saw each other.

Now, Asuka takes a look at the chosen #00 and #01 pilots – Wonder Girl and Daddy’s Boy, as she dubs them – and Shinji bids her a “how do you do”. “Are you stupid,” the girl harrumphs, “Right when you were needed the most, you weren’t even there! ‘How do you do’, he says! Aren’t you even a little be ashamed you couldn’t fight the Angel with your EVA?!”
Shinji’s a bit dazed, and Asuka shoos him away. She doesn’t wanna talk with him, only with the other Pros of LOTUS that she heard so much about. And speaking of, where’s the girl that gave her sass during battle? The infirmary? Asuka asks Emi to show he where it is, and off they go, Misato sighing that the girl’ll take some getting used to.

Hilde and Duo had asked her to try and play nice, but that obviously went in one ear and out the other. Quick round of introductions from them, and Dick has heard of Duo, the God of Death. “I think we’ll get along swimmingly, you and I,” he says. Hopefully, but Duo hopes LOTUS can be retired as soon as can be – there’s just too much war going around the world these days.
When Goh asks if Asuka’s always like that, Hilde nods right away. See, the girl’s huge amounts of both dutiful and prideful, so she’s always very, shall we say, severe with everyone else. She might be fated for some very tough battles, but can see that, in the girl’s eyes, fighting and beating the enemy gives her life. She revels in it.
Shinji’s a bit surprised that there are people who actually enjoy piloting an EVA.

: So, that girl, Atross, was born from the Iczelio they stole…?
: That’s what I think, yes. I could feel it.
: We should ask Iczer-3 about it when she wakes up.
: Um… Will she be alright?
: There isn’t really anything we can do right now.
: Oh, no…!
: Easy. What she meant is that she doesn’t need any treatment. She fell asleep to try and recover quicker – she’ll be back to normal soon.
: Iczer-1 also did that. I guess we’ll have to remember to let her rest after she’s tired herself fighting.

*Door opens!*

: Hmph… taking a nap right after a battle? Someone’s not taking this seriously.
: Don’t be like that, Asuka. She’s still a little girl, and she needs to recover—
: Doesn’t change the fact that what that Atross said was right. Iczer-3’s a warrior – a weapon!
: You’re out of line, Asuka!
: I am not. If you’re a warrior, then you must behave like a warrior and always be ready to fight!
: Okay, stop!
: You’re right that she’s a lot stronger than most of us… But she’s also a kind, gentle girl…
: And? Kindness won’t do anything for you during battle.
: Wrong! And if you ever met Iczer-1, you’d know. She was a warrior through and through, and so strong… but she was also a very kind person.
: Ken also told me once… that it’s possible for strength and kindness to coexist.
: Jack Smith’s also a kind man… and he is also very strong.
: So I don’t ever want to see you looking down on Iczer-3 again!
: Oh, brother… so many strong, actually living, people, and they’re all these devil-may-care types.
: That’s not what they were trying to say, Asuka.
: I can tell. Still, that doesn’t mean I’m fine with this daycare you’re running.
: But I’m assigned to LOTUS now – the so-called defenders of the Earth Sphere – and I really don’t care to see weak-kneed folks here... That’s all I wanted to say.

*Out she goes.*

: Asuka… she keeps such a wall around her heart. I wonder if she’ll open up someday…
: The same could be said for that Cthulhu, Atross. I hope so, if she really does have that light inside her heart, if we really can become friends, like Nagisa said…
: That’s one question I’ve no answer for.

: (They're not like me… I’m special…)
: (You’re gonna have to go it alone, Asuka…!)

Back at the Cthulhu Fortress, Neos is annoyed at Atross’ failure. The girl cries out that she’s feeling weird and asks what’s going on, but Neos first wants to know why she didn’t destroy Iczer-3. “I couldn’t do it! When I saw that human, Nagisa, I…” she starts, but is cut short. Is she going against Neos’ command? A warrior fleeing from war… absolutely disgraceful!
Atross asks what the Iczelio is, as Nagisa said it gave her life, but Neos tells her to get lost and not to show her face again until Iczer-3’s gone. As she goes, Atross is very confused: “Why… Why couldn’t I bring myself to fight? Nagisa… the Iczelio… I don’t understand anything!”

Golem smirks at the failure – not only did she not steal Nagisa, she also fell victim to the humans’ influence. Neos doesn’t appreciate that, as they wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place if her Four Generals could actually do their job. Golem promises to take responsibility for her peers’ failures, killing Iczer-3 and returning with Nagisa Kasumi. Good, but she ought to remember the price she’ll pay for a failure.
She leaves, Neos fuming at how she’s surrounded by incompetent worms. She wouldn’t have to rely on them if she could only recover the strength she lost fighting Iczer-1… Whatever the case, it’s clear the Iczelio is rejecting her command (though she doesn’t know why), so she might have no other choice but to wait until Iczer-2’s fully healed.

Kaji’s finally made it back to NERV after that crazy job they put him to. The 3rd Angel and the EVA-05 have been disposed of as planned, and the Marduk Plan at Bethany Base has been set back indefinitely. Seems like everything’s mostly going according to the script, huh?
And, in regards to the newest files on SEELE, Fuyutsuki says that construction of the #06 has been delayed – the 13th variable is likely the source of the distortion, indeed. Whatever, the case Kaji’s also brought what Gendou asked, the twining between God and soul… though he doesn’t know how useful the thing will be at this juncture. God only knows if this “key” can open the Doors, Gendouu figures.
Before Kaji goes, though, he asks him to pass on a message to Lady Une: “Send me Ishigami’s reports.” Hmm, well, in the eventuality that Kaji runs into her, he’ll let her know. With him gone, Fuyutsuki ponders Chief Inspector Ryoji Kaji – can he be trusted? Gendou thinks so, taking him to be the same as them: someone who’s worried for this world.

Some time later, we’re back at JUDA and Misato asks if Asuka’s getting along with the LOTUS crew. The girl, of course, doesn’t really care for any of that – fighting’s more than enough – and why does Misato care in the first place? Um, because she’s our commanding officer, so of course she cares, Ichitaka says.
Well, Asuka tells “Birdboy” that a whole squad getting along doesn’t automatically mean stuff’ll be better, but Shinji begs to disagree. For one, he figures he’s changed for the better from who he was before, and it’s thanks to his LOTUS friends.
What, he’s still here? Asuka figures he and Wonder Girl’ll be getting the boot soon – don’t need any other EVAs in both this team and in defending NERV HQ. Actually, no, Misato says both Shinji and Rei are still going to be working here. Why?! Because Gendou figures that’s for the best, because we don’t want to be short on hands, because those are Lady Une’s orders… there are plenty of reasons why. Asuka seems annoyed.

Right then, our folks come in: Kouji invites Asuka to come eat something with our crew, and Daiya points out Ishigami’s old policy that sharing a meal’s the best way for folks to know one another (a policy he agrees).
Maybe getting some food’ll put her in a better mood, Kenji figures; there HAS been scientific evidence showing a correlation between hunger and irritation, Rachel points out. Asuka passes, saying she wants to be alone, but Misato vetoes it: team harmony is always important, so she tells her to go.
Is that an order? She can take it like that, as Misato figures, for all her merits, Asuka’s communication skills are kind of lacking. She’s going to be fighting beside all these people, so she should try to make friends with them.

Fine, fine, she’ll go. Daiya spots Lulu nearby and invites her to come with; she’s a bit busy, though, but says she’ll catch up in a bit. What’s she up to? Well, she broke this cup her father really liked, so now she’s cleaning up the mess and picking up the pieces.
Well, if we’re talking about cleaning, Alice is more than ready to help out. So is Daiya, figuring the three of them’ll have this sorted out real quick. Thanking them, all this camaraderie reminds Lulu of her friends back in the Dairus World. It’s said that no news is good news, so she hopes everything’s going fine down there.

And, with this, the game has enabled us to upgrade units to 100%. On the flip side, it costs an extraordinary amount of cash to fully upgrade anything; remember, the weapons count, so we’re looking at about 800k to 1.1mil for any of our decently upgraded guys. I’d likely have to save for, like, three or four missions to do that right now.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 10, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Hyper Jammer – over 130 morale, 40% chance to outright invade an incoming attack (mitigated by Skill difference)

While that sounds incredibly metal, I believe it should be "evade".

Also Asuka appeared, yaaay. I never liked her and this is not making me like her more. The hair colour change is bad too.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Fixed.

And I wouldn't really say it's a bad color, I just found it an odd thing to change.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like the way they're playing Asuka against the Iczer plotline.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

: Right! You’re suggesting everyone’s life is decided at the moment they’re born, and that’s a load of bull!

:roflolmao: PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTT!!!!

Oh man, I love moments like this.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Oh Shinn, he's such a joker.

Also

Brunom1 posted:

: Way these things usually go, I figured we’d be getting an Iczer-4 or Iczer-0 after 3… Guess I was wrong.

Not being able to read the actual name they used, I always called her Iczer-4 myself.

I wonder what was up with that eva cut-scene in the beginning though. I never watched the show so I'm at a loss. I know that Eva has a purple one, a red one and a yellow one. So I guess they're hinting at a fourth bot here, but the dialogue said it blew up. It is weird in all kinds of ways. Why wasn't LOTUS made aware of an angel stomping around? Is this supposed to be happening at the same time that they're fighting the scarecrow-angel and not-Iczer?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

maninthesuit posted:

Oh Shinn, he's such a joker.

Also

Not being able to read the actual name they used, I always called her Iczer-4 myself.

I wonder what was up with that eva cut-scene in the beginning though. I never watched the show so I'm at a loss. I know that Eva has a purple one, a red one and a yellow one. So I guess they're hinting at a fourth bot here, but the dialogue said it blew up. It is weird in all kinds of ways. Why wasn't LOTUS made aware of an angel stomping around? Is this supposed to be happening at the same time that they're fighting the scarecrow-angel and not-Iczer?

In the films there was an Eva that got destroyed after a single fight.

And yeah Shinn's line made me laugh, it's nice to see this game and be able to understand it.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

That is some world class irony from the pilot of the Destiny right there.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Literally enemy palette swap...

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
There seems to be a weird amount of cheapness when it comes to Iczer. The mooks are just recolored Iczer-Robos, Iczer-2 is a slightly modified Iczer-1, and Atross is a slightly modified Iczer-3. On top of that most of the villains get killed off without any custom assets beyond a portrait and maybe a map icon.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

There seems to be a weird amount of cheapness when it comes to Iczer. The mooks are just recolored Iczer-Robos, Iczer-2 is a slightly modified Iczer-1, and Atross is a slightly modified Iczer-3. On top of that most of the villains get killed off without any custom assets beyond a portrait and maybe a map icon.

NHO posted:

Literally enemy palette swap...

Not quite - you can see a handful of differences, like her hair which is way longer.

That being said, Atross IS supposed to be quite similar to Iczer-3 in looks and abilities, so there's only so much they could do there. Same goes for Iczer-1 and 2, in that the latter was pretty much designed to be Iczer-1, but stronger.

I'll give you the Iczer-3 villains, though. Seeing as how we've plenty of human-sized enemies fighting robots in this game, it stands to reason they'd be able to go a round or two against us before getting blown up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

maninthesuit posted:

Evangelion isn't that great on explaining things, and the Rebuild movies that this Eva appearance especially like to shake up their "remake" status by adding completely new stuff and not explaining it at all until much later (if ever), so there really isn't much you're missing out on. In a secret base no one on our team knows about, an Evangelion unit no one knew about self-destructed after destroying an Angel no one knew about, and the pilot (who no one on our team knows about) survived by ejecting. It makes exactly as much sense in the actual movie. How does this tie into anything else that happened this mission? So far, it doesn't; it might come up sometime later. That's Evangelion for you.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Bethany Base was a storage facility for an Angel that humanity managed to capture in an embryonic state - the third Angel. See, all the other Angels had their number increased by one in the movies. What had been called the 3rd Angel was now the 4th, the 4th was now the 5th, and so on. As is their wont, the Eva fandom produced a small national library's worth of speculation as to why this might be, only for the answer to turn out to be something so very, very simple. Anyway, the team at Bethany Base were studying this Angel, basically tearing it to pieces until only its skeleton was left, and yet it was still powerful enough to breach containment and fight Unit 05 to a mutual kill. As for Unit 05, it was called a provisional unit because it was only half grown. It had four spider-like limbs with rollers instead of legs.

As for the girl, Mari... Evangelion is well known for deconstructing common character archetypes. Some people wonder if Mari is supposed to be a deconstruction of a Mary Sue. Some say that they wouldn't have heard of such a thing in Japan, but anyone who's glanced at a light novel will tell you that at least the concept is definitely well known. The evidence:

Mari pilots a special Evangelion in a special plug suit (but the things that make it special also make it weaker, and the plug suit is uncomfortable)
Unlike the other pilots, fighting is a pure, uncomplicated joy for her (because she's a Combat Sadomasochist and tends to freak people out)
She wears glasses, a common cute flaw (which hampers her because her eyesight really is terrible)
She possesses knowledge the other pilots don't, and goes off on her own adventures, and mentions having her own plans like Gendou and the big players (but the story is not about her, so she ends up almost completely irrelevant to it)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Main Paineframe posted:

Evangelion isn't that great on explaining things, and the Rebuild movies that this Eva appearance especially like to shake up their "remake" status by adding completely new stuff and not explaining it at all until much later (if ever), so there really isn't much you're missing out on. In a secret base no one on our team knows about, an Evangelion unit no one knew about self-destructed after destroying an Angel no one knew about, and the pilot (who no one on our team knows about) survived by ejecting. It makes exactly as much sense in the actual movie. How does this tie into anything else that happened this mission? So far, it doesn't; it might come up sometime later. That's Evangelion for you.

as a Confirmed Evangelion Fanatic I have a lot of words on this game's treatment of Rebuild that have to be saved for later, but can still even now be summed up with "they did their best, i guess"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

Bethany Base was a storage facility for an Angel that humanity managed to capture in an embryonic state - the third Angel. See, all the other Angels had their number increased by one in the movies. What had been called the 3rd Angel was now the 4th, the 4th was now the 5th, and so on. As is their wont, the Eva fandom produced a small national library's worth of speculation as to why this might be, only for the answer to turn out to be something so very, very simple. Anyway, the team at Bethany Base were studying this Angel, basically tearing it to pieces until only its skeleton was left, and yet it was still powerful enough to breach containment and fight Unit 05 to a mutual kill. As for Unit 05, it was called a provisional unit because it was only half grown. It had four spider-like limbs with rollers instead of legs.

As for the girl, Mari... Evangelion is well known for deconstructing common character archetypes. Some people wonder if Mari is supposed to be a deconstruction of a Mary Sue. Some say that they wouldn't have heard of such a thing in Japan, but anyone who's glanced at a light novel will tell you that at least the concept is definitely well known. The evidence:

Mari pilots a special Evangelion in a special plug suit (but the things that make it special also make it weaker, and the plug suit is uncomfortable)
Unlike the other pilots, fighting is a pure, uncomplicated joy for her (because she's a Combat Sadomasochist and tends to freak people out)
She wears glasses, a common cute flaw (which hampers her because her eyesight really is terrible)
She possesses knowledge the other pilots don't, and goes off on her own adventures, and mentions having her own plans like Gendou and the big players (but the story is not about her, so she ends up almost completely irrelevant to it)

I don't really know anything about Evangelion but most of those sound like fairly common characteristics. Especially 'wears glasses because she has bad eyesight'.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mister Olympus posted:

as a Confirmed Evangelion Fanatic I have a lot of words on this game's treatment of Rebuild that have to be saved for later, but can still even now be summed up with "they did their best, i guess"

Doing Eva at Ls point was not smart if they were going to do Rebuild, they really should have just used the TV Series again

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Was 2.0 even out when this came out? I don't think it was from memory which would be kind of...limiting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

Was 2.0 even out when this came out? I don't think it was from memory which would be kind of...limiting.

It was... but 3.33 wasn't out. So 2.0 ended on a pretty big cliff hanger.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Normally, I'd ask what deity Duo and Hilde pissed off to get saddled with Asuka Babysitting DutyTM, but then I remember how much the Frozen Teardrop novels screw them over, so I let that slide.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Maybe only a Wing-character is crazy or edgy enough to handle an overly aggressive teenager. If all else fails, there are always the old war-stories.

And reading what is said of Eva, it just feels even weirder. I guess the producers wanted to use the hype of the new movies to catch fans. I can't remember any other time SRW used a series that was technically incomplete. Maybe Gundam Seed back in Alpha 3 (never played it), but that one doesn't count because Gundam Seed is a full story without the later sequel series. On the other hand, it's not all that uncommon to have a series that's mostly there to pad out the unit-list.

Alacron posted:

The mooks are actually the enemy bot from the first episode of Iczer-1, if I remember right. As for why they're so similar to the Iczer-robo, there is a good reason. Iczer-1 and the Iczer-robo are both originally created by the Cthulhu. Hence why their plan b is 'Iczer-2, Iczer harder'. The OVA didn't have time or reason to establish a grunt unit though. The closest would be their human-sized infiltration unit, whose existence SRW L has largely skipped over. I think Iczer-1 mentioned that Kasumi's parents had been killed but that's about it. It's kind of funny because they're the one aspect I can actually remember decently.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

maninthesuit posted:

Maybe only a Wing-character is crazy or edgy enough to handle an overly aggressive teenager. If all else fails, there are always the old war-stories.

And reading what is said of Eva, it just feels even weirder. I guess the producers wanted to use the hype of the new movies to catch fans. I can't remember any other time SRW used a series that was technically incomplete. Maybe Gundam Seed back in Alpha 3 (never played it), but that one doesn't count because Gundam Seed is a full story without the later sequel series. On the other hand, it's not all that uncommon to have a series that's mostly there to pad out the unit-list.

They did a much better job with Rebuild in V...and a weird job with it in Z3.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

maninthesuit posted:

Hilariously enough, SRW F way back in the day used a trimmed down version of the Evangelion TV series with Kaworu in the EVA-03 as the boss of that path. Which IIRC, was one of F's bad endings, to boot. So, Evangelion getting presented in edited formats in SRW is nothing new, although I think Alpha 1 and MX are the only times we get the full Evangelion TV experience without plot cuts or omissions. The only really weird showing was Z3.2, where all of Rebuild 3.33 happens off screen and is never relevant to the in-game plot.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Welcome back, folks, and things aren’t a whole lot different here. All top aces made exactly one kill last mission, so their positions haven’t shifted at all.

Money wasn’t all that plentiful, either, but it was just enough to bump Kenji up to 50%. His Squad Bonus is now mobility +15, melee weapons’ power +200.

Daiya and Ichitaka are deploying as events, so we switch things up accordingly:
Ozma/Luca
Asuka/Yanma
Kouichi/Quatre
Iczer-3/Zechs (I wanted her to have Accel, and fiddling more with the squads would’ve taken effort)
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Voltes/Dick
Alto/Michel
Combattler/Deceive
Shinn/Luna
Goh/Anna
Tetsuya/Canaria
Shinn/Rey
Kouji/Yagyuu
Dancouga/Hilde (though she would’ve also been a great fit to EN-hungry bots like the Nagahamas)
Ken/Lou

Forward!

By the Dairus World…

: They’ve us surrounded…! Have we managed to get in touch with the Daiku Maryu yet?!
: No, we can’t get through to them! (Rebecca)
: It won’t be long before Operation FD makes Her Highness’ world real – a world belonging only to those chosen by her…
: As for the inferior beings found wanting, death is all that awaits!
: The idiocy coming from these puppets…! Out of our way!
: We won’t allow you to sacrifice the innocent Darian people…!

: Blast you all…!
: These damned rebels!
: We’ll be cutting your ambitions right at the root, whatever it takes!
: Allow me to handle this.

:siren: You wouldn’t expect a mech with that name to have any other BGM, would you? :siren:

: The Dvorak! Proist’s come here in person?!
: Garis… I’m afraid I haven’t the time to indulge you anymore. I shall now head towards the surface, putting into practice the final step in Operation FD.
: What…!

*RUUUUMBLE! Explosions!*

: What’s going on, Kain?!
: We’ve volcanic eruptions happening throughout the Darius World!
: Not just that: there are distortions cropping up across the entire sky!
: Proist, you didn’t…! You took the Darius Core?!
: You are, indeed, very knowledgeable, Garis. Impressive.
: And, yeah, I took the Darius Core! And with its power, everything’ll be MINE!
: My victory’ll be complete! My rule’ll be absolute! AHAHAHAHAHA!
: Proist, you’re insane…!
: The second the Final Death Cross is finished, that’ll be game over! So I think I’ll leave you alive for a bit longer, and enjoy slowly tearing you apart later! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

: drat it, they used a Death Cross to warp away!
: We’ve to stop the Dvorak and Proist! Troops, we’re going after her!
: Y-Yes, sir!

Cut to Arkholand, Darius XVII has just been informed of Proist’s theft of the Darius Core and is appalled. Doctor Two reports that their world is already starting to come undone without the thing, and the King realizes that his words did not dissuade Proist from her plan.
This isn’t the time to lament, though: they must call for the immediate suspension of Operation FD’s offensive against the people and start migrating into space via the Ark Project. The King isn’t opposed, but they’ll need the Darius Core back to do that. Proist isn’t willing to listen to him, so the only option left will be to borrow the Daiku Maryu’s strength to do it.
Doctor Two’s mulls at the suggestion, and Darius knows why: the boy, Daiya Tsuwabuki, being Two’s son, after all! Regardless, Darius proclaims he’ll also be headed into the surface to cooperate with the Daiku Maryu, and Two’s coming with to help prove that he and his people no longer have any plans to invade us.

Back at JUDA, Ichitaka’s started training to work with Alice to replicate their big attack from before… and it’s not going too well. He can’t get the barrier output to stay on level, which’d result in the dimensional boundary growing unstable. CRAAAAAASH!
That’s Ichitaka’s 10th failure in a row and Noin suggests he take some time off the sim, which he readily accepts. Plus, there are other folks wanting to train, Tetsuya points out. Alice thinks the failure’s on her for raising the barrier’s output too quickly, but Tsubaki points out that it’s not easy to get so in sync with your partner.

Any tips from Kenji, maybe? He can’t give him much, saying it’s probably because he and Tsubaki have been friends since they were little kids. Or, more likely, it’s his perverted nature that helps him pull this stuff off, Shizuna objects, pointing at the Booby Drills incident.
“Th-Then I just gotta let my man’s instinct help me with the control gauges… Hmm, what should I visualize them as?” Ichitaka wonders aloud, and Kyo suggests he give up on that idea. That only works for Kenji because he is who he is. Oh, well.

Micchi also steps out of a nearby sim, surprising Kenji that she’s also training. Isn’t that pushing it at her age? Still, she can’t well let the kids leave her in the dust. She’s worked up quite the sweat, though, so she and Tsubaki head off to the bath… and Kenji better not peek, OR ELSE. He won’t, not wanting to get dunked in boiling water again.
Ichitaka figures hitting the shower to cool off his head might help, too, and Noin agrees: he’s bound to just repeat the same mistakes if he doesn’t take a breather every now and then. She suggests Alice do the same, seeing that she’s drawing closer to “overheating” status.

But before she can leave to cool down, Duo comes in: since Alice’s still in charge of managing the team’s health care, she needs to compile his personal data as well. Frig, off to the infirmary she goes. Duo wasn’t even in a hurry, but Alice’s too much of a workaholic. At least Rachel doesn’t think health care duties’ll impede the combat side of her AI from cooling down (though it’d be better if she were taking it slow).
Seems to Duo that he came at a bad time, but Noin tells him not to worry about it. Rather, hurry over to Alice before his delay stresses her out.

By the lounge, Goh explains to the worried Ru why Ichitaka and Alice looked so worn out when she passed by them – they’re working even harder than usual. Daiya’s got his training, too… though he can only do basic fitness work-out nowadays. When Shinji asks, he explains it’s to help strengthen his flame.
What the kid really wants, though, is to be learning from Lee. You see, the guy’s a master of the Shinryuken kenpo and was teaching Daiya before all this went down. He’s still fighting down in the Darius World, of course, which is all the more reason why Daiya can’t ease up now.

Or, rather, he was in the Darius World, because Misato gets on the mic and says we’ve pinged the Daichi Maryu and Tenku Maryu’s distress call – a large mob of Darius troops have appeared on the surface! Now that’s a surprise for Daiya. Proist’s also been spotted up here, so we’re moving to intercept right away.

Mission 24 – When the Great Power Cleaves the Sky…

: Where… Where is this?
: The surface; somewhere close to the North Pole, by the looks of it.
: Excellent. This frozen land shall serve as your communal grave, right as my dark flames burn all to cinders.
: Hmhmhahaha! Her Highness’ conquest of the surface has begun at long last!
: Daichi and Tenku Maryu! This is where all your lives come to a screeching halt!
: Silence! Vermin like you aren’t good enough to beat me! Come!

Losing anyone’s a game over and there are plenty of units. Our guys’ll come in next turn, so simply hang back and let the enemy come in both to save time. All of our current guys are massively tough, of course, but there’s no reason to rush them ahead (especially since that’d mean risking Proist or her goons deciding to attack sooner, rather than later).

Daichi Maryu (Vestanu)
Pilot Skills:
Flame L5
Commander L2
Prevail L5
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L2
Spirit Commands - Vestanu:
Invincible
Accelerate
Strike
Iron Wall
Spirit Commands – Rebecca:
Scan
Trust
Assail
Squad Bonus: Accuracy +5

Tenku Maryu
Pilot Skills:
Flame L3
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L2
Spirit Commands:
Accelerate
Invincible
Trust
Strike
Squad Bonus: Mobility +5

Big, bulky, hard-hitting ships which also have combined attacks with Norza (Tenku) and Lee (Daichi). The Daichi’s a more ranged-oriented ship, though its strongest attacks are post-movement. Bread and butter weapons are pre, though.
The Tenku doesn’t really have a preference, carrying one pre-movement and one post-movement attack – slightly stronger than the Daichi too. Each carries and S in their respective terrains, so accuracy isn’t bad at all.
As far as functionality goes, the Daichi Maryu is better due to have two pilots with better spirit commands (Vestanu is a flat-out better pilot than Kain, too), but the Tenku Maryu has it beat in raw attack power. FYI, the ships are big EN guzzlers, so don’t go too crazy there, but if you’re deploying Norza and/or Lee, you might as well deploy their respective ships for the combined attack.

Vulking (Lee Jian-xing)
Pilot Skills:
Flame L5
Sword Cut
Predict
Prevail L3
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L1
Attack Combo L2
Spirit Commands:
Focus
Invincible
Strike
Iron Wall
Squad Bonus: HP+1000, 1000 Barrier

Raiking (Norza)
Pilot Skills:
Flame L6
Sword Cut
Commander L2
Prevail L5
Support Attack L1
Attack Combo L1
Spirit Commands:
Strike
Alert
Fighting Spirit
Drive
Squad Bonus: Mobility +5, 15% chance to auto-dodge an attack

Not only are Norza and Lee very fine pilots, their units are also great. Lee’s Vulking is very hardly (serious, it’s got more HP than the Gaiking and it’s at 30% upgrades), while Norza’s Raiking is surprisingly dodgy for an L-sized robot. Both, like their ships, carry S ranks in their respective terrains to help with those %s.
Their attack types are pretty much the same, each bot having mostly pre-movement weapons outside of one spammable melee weapon and a combined attack. Like their ships, they will quickly run out of EN if you don’t watch it.

Of note is how both units carry a debuff attack: Norza’s will drop the target’s mobility, which isn’t too hot, but Lee’s Corona Blast has that lovely attack-down debuff. Since we’re starting to meet with big bosses, it’s always good to have this handy in a pinch.
Considering their similar ranges and whatnot, I’d say both men could work very nicely if paired up, but you can easily fit the Vulking and Raiking with, respectively, anything tanky or dodgy.

Now, let’s fast forward to the next turn since, like I said, I had them all stay put to let the enemy come in.

: The Daiku Maryu…! They’re here!
: Father, are you all right?!
: I am, yes!
: Lee, Norza, we’ve come to back you up!
: Psh… I wanted to end this before you arrived, but I suppose what’s done is done.
: Daiya Tsuwabuki! I figured you’d dropped dead ages ago, and here you are still kicking!
: So that’s Proist, the head of the Darius Army?
: Oh? I presume these troops are the protectors of the surface, yes?
: That’s good, ‘cause my Dvorak’ll crush EVERYONE who dares mess with me!
: Proist’s taken the Darius Core for herself, and if nothing’s done, both the Darius World and the surface’ll be in great danger! We’ve to defeat her and pry the Core out her hands!
: Roger that. Run interference on the enemy and bring down their forces, people!
: Skull Leader to all units! That “Dvorak” mech’s a whole lot more powerful than the rest, so keep your heads on a swivel around it!
: We’re gonna close the book on this fight today, Proist!

Now you just gotta keep your ships, Daiya and Ichitaka alive. Your guys on the other side of a river and at a rather hefty distance away, though, so keep the Maryu teams hanging back. Next turn, we’ll converge and start dealing with them. Playing defensively is recommended since there are plenty of them and they’ll already be coming in waves – the rough terrain slows your forward push down, too. Once the way is clearer, then you move after the bosses.
Furthermore, on top of the usual mooks we’ve fought before, the Darius are deploying a couple of Zelgaia ships and some new Giant units. They’re among the hardest-hitting mooks we’ve fought so far, so be careful around them; focus fire quickly once they’re in range, and get them off your hair.

Proist’s generals are the standard midbosses in terms of tricks and stats (though they’ve an annoyingly high level of Support Defense, so be ready with Fury casts), but they are also worth 15k bucks each. That’s an easy 120k if you get Luck/Bless casts for each, so keep that in mind (if you can squeeze some for the bigger mooks, so much the better – save one for Proist, naturally).
But, of course, your biggest worry here by a mile is the boss lady herself:

Dvorak (Proist, the Crown Princess)
Pilot Skills:
Flame L9 (!)
Break Morale Limit
Commander L4
Prevail L7
Support Attack L3
Attack Combo L3
Mech Features:
20% HP Regen
30% EN Regen

Proist is a monster of a pilot. Not only are her stats the highest we’ve seen so far, the combination of Prevail L7 and Flame L9 also makes her VERY tough. Thankfully, the Dvorak only has 60k HP, which offsets that a bit.
Special notice should be given to just how absurdly accurate this girl is with pretty much anything: everything sans her strongest attack has +30 and +20 modifiers, which paired with her huge Accuracy state, Flame and Prevail means your Real’ WILL need Alert or she’ll very likely connect (and possibly oneshot them, because she’s also very crit-happy).

The Dvorak, of course, comes with a directional MAPW which is both very accurate and will tag everyone in a 3x7 area with the Attack Down debuff. Do your best to approach her diagonally. Finally, her hardest hitting attack is point-blank range – keep that in mind.
Good thing is that she’s way back and is one of the last units to start moving, so build up morale, let her come to you, and then swarm for a one-turn kill. Don’t let her get a move with Prevail running or bad things could happen.

Considering the bevy of bulky mooks we’ll have to contend with, and my defensive approach to this, let’s fast forward some.
Mind you, we’re still waiting for the enemy to get in range, so when turn 3 comes around…

: Yuu, they’re…
: Fighting the Darius Army apparently.
: Do we engage?
: …No, this is actually a good opportunity for us. We’ll see whether the Rushbird displaying that power before was just a fluke, or…

And now we can get to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0DFlSGdkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FeWGPQ1qmw
It’s only now that I’m starting to realize how much damage drops off in longer chain attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkixSc0MuqQ
These Giant mooks have some slick attacks, too. I’ll have to try and get the Valeon’s to connect sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmk3o1j2hwM
Something about how the DK is the enemy apparently spontaneously combusting just tickles my funny bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HUAD3NH1LU
Small fuckup here, not seeing that Micchi was about to defend him. But at least we managed to get one of the strongest mooks’ attack on tape as well.

: Her Highness…
: Is under our protection, her four new generals!
: Bid this world farewell!
: And plummet into the abyss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbOd2oFNtO8
Why are their bots themselves a Sentai team…? Regrettably, they’ve no combined attack.
All four of them make a beeline for Kain, who takes some not-insignificant damage, but nothing to worry about. Proist is heading in, farther back still, so the best plan is to have all four down this turn, so that we can bumrush her on the next one.
If you can bypass the generals’ support defense net, they fall easily enough.

: A direct hit? Inconceivable! I humbly beg your forgiveness, Your Highness. Retreating!

: I’ve taken too much damage… I humbly beg your forgiveness, Your Highness. Retreating!

: Curses, my controls are failing! I humbly beg your forgiveness, Your Highness. Retreating!

: M-My Galean can’t take much more…! I humbly beg your forgiveness, Your Highness. Retreating!

Yes, they all say the exact same thing other than the first part. But that’s all of them down and with just a handful of units to spare, so we wait one turn (Proist tries MAPWing, but I was ready for it) and get to work.

: You’ll pay for all you’ve done with your life, Proist!
: Spare parts like you dares give me crap?! Say my name with the honor it deserves, maggot!
: Bitch…! I’ll spread your ashes across the surface, Proist!

--

: You’re an even crazier boss than advertised! Do you seriously think it’s OK to kill anyone just to get what you want?!
: You’re too stupid to get it, aren’t you? There’re two kinds people out there: those chosen by me, and trash! And I don’t give a drat if trash drops dead!
: You…! You won’t get away with this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEipd733rqY
Norza: “I’ll cut your sickening laugh short…!”
Proist: “You’re not worthy of being my spare parts anymore!”

: My dear father is a naïve fool. Had we unleashed the Final Death Cross and invaded in earnest, we would have long since brought this to a close.
: Sorry to say, but the Earthlings aren’t as stupid as you might think!
: Now, I’ve a beef with your group from even before the War of Giants, and it’s high time you answered for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-s9XcfraIY
Here’s her strongest attack.

: My friends and family live up here, and I’m not about to let a monster like you run amuck!
: Those are fine words, Daiya Tsuwabuki…
: But what the hell do I care about the cries of worms?! It’s time to cut you down, Gaiking!
: My flame can’t be put out, Proist! Get here and take a look!

--

: The fate of both the surface and the Darius World will be decided with this battle. Daiku Maryu – forward!
: Aye, aye, ma’am!
: Garis’ pest of a daughter… You and your ship’ll be a pilot of slag by the time I’m done!
: You might burn my body to ash, but all our souls have been poured into the Daiku Maryu! And you’re not strong enough to break those!
: Proist… this ends now!

: You’ll oppose me as well…? It’s only logical for the powerless to simply yield and follow… surely you are aware of that, no?
: I am… or, rather, I might’ve tricked myself into thinking that way because it was easier.
: But I was wrong…! Because even if you’re powerless… you can’t run away!

: I know this is your first trip to the surface, but I don’t care to let you see the sights. We’re putting a stop to you here and now!
: What foul tunes this little bird sings…
: Death is all a canary that’s forgotten how to sing deserves! And I’ll snap your neck with my own two hands!
: You won’t be getting any songs from me! Rather, all you’ll be hearing are our cheers of victory!

: Be very careful, Hyouma! By my analysis, the Dvorak’s comprised of over 500 parts!
: They may not be too powerful individually, but we’ll be in big trouble if we get mobbed by the lot!
: And it’s also got some major regen as a bonus. We can’t take ‘em bit-by-bit!
: That don’t mean it can regen forever, though. Find me anything that looks like a core, Kosuke, and what’s what we’ll go for…!
: Hmhmhm. You poor moron… Do you honestly believe you have the leeway to succeed at that…?

: I’ve read plenty about elitist blue-bloods in history books, but I don’t think even they had anything on her.
: I’m above your puny standards! It’s my destiny to rule the world – me and my father!
: I really don’t like folks who force others to dance to their tune…
: Say, Aoi, there’re big parties whenever princesses take the throne, right? How about we give this nasty piece-of-work our gifts right now?
: Sounds great. One full-course of everything the Dancouga’s got, coming right up!

: That fire there… It’s giving me vibes as bad as the Jama Kingdom’s big demon-thing…!
: Cower in fear, insect! Run from my flame like the beast you are!
: Bzzt, wrong guess. See, I’m the kind that gets stoked the more dangerous it gets!

: The Darius World’ll turn to nothing unless you’re stopped… to say nothing of all the damage the surface would suffer. More than enough reason to end you no matter the cost!
: And you think I give a drat about the Darius World, when all that’s left there is garbage?
: The elite have already come to the surface with me. And there’s no room here for anyone I didn’t pick!
: No one who’d say such things has a right to rule others!

Vestanu: “Just what do you take the Darian people for?!”
Proist: “Vestanu… you always were a beautiful woman… BUT! You’ve betrayed me too!”

: However many Giants of Flame you may gather, they are all but powerless face the Dvorak…
: And as hard as a lackey like you might try, you’re still just wasting your breath!
: I think not, Proist! We’ll see how you like when I blow away those black flames surrounding you!

: Your tyranny brings nothing but pain to your people! You’re the worst kind of stateswoman there is, Proist!
: Please, you are so very mistaken. My chosen people will survive, and theirs will be the Heaven I’ll create.
: So there’ll be no one in pain! Because all others will be DEAD!
: That’s another reason why I can’t let it happen, then! I’ll free the innocent Darian people from you!

: I’d like to say I’ve seen plenty of what the dark side of the world’s hiding…
: But I’ve still never met anyone as insane as you before!
: I beg your pardon…? Did you just call me “insane”…?
: Looks like I’m gonna have to teach you where you stand in all this!
: I know exactly where I stand, Proist! It’s you who doesn’t, but I can fix that!

: How can you be so mean? You got even this forest crying!
: An artificial human, I presume? Well, beings like you…
: Oughta take both your opinion and that sentimental bunk, and shove it!
: Hey! Iczer-3’s our friend, so don’t talk to her like that!
: And? That tincan and all her buddies are just trash that didn’t deserve to come with me! But we’ll see how sassy you’re feeling after I’ve ripped out your tongues!
: Like I’d ever let a crazy monster like you beat me up! I’ve got a whooping with your name written on it!

: The Tenku Maryu’s too good for a mook like you to use!
: But I am nothing if not merciful, so I’ll give you a choice: surrender to me, or hand the ship over to me. Choose!
: I choose neither! I am a proud warrior, sworn to serve Lord Norza…
: And I’ll readily take a Maryu as part of me if it’ll help his cause!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb3K6S2PWMo
As I found out, Proist’ll only use this attack at range 2 unless her morale’s really low.

: Oh, yeah, that’s a proper “boss of the Darius Army” face you got going there.
: By which you mean that the ruler looks appropriately ruler-esque? I see even that’s within your grasp, yes?
: Close, but no cigar. What is meant is that you got the look of someone who CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE gotta run into the ground!

: I’ll create a new world with my Dvorak. You trash need to just accept it and bow down to me!
: Who do you think you are, a goddess or something? I won’t let someone like that do their thing!
: You won’t “let” me?! Do you actually think an impudent, worthless maggot like you has the right to say what goes?!
: Alright, I’m done talking! Here’s where you Darius’ plans get ripped to shreds!

: If you think the Dvorak’s going down from that, think again! HAAAAAAAH!!

: drat, look at that thing regen…! What’re we gonna do now?!
: Think back, Daiya! Remember what I taught you about the Shinryuken… the Dragon Stance!
: Ooh, right, the Dragon Stance! I can compress the Hydro Blazer energy if I get it right …!

: Like hell you will!!

: Uwaaah!
: I’ll keep her at bay, Daiya! You do that Dragon thing meanwhile!
: A-Alright! Take care!
: What’re you up to?!
: I’ll cover the Gaiking from those black flames and try to create an opening for him! I’m sure the Rushbird can pull it off!
: But, Ichitaka, we’re not strong enough to be capable of…!
: … Wait, are you considering that attack?! Absolutely not! There are so, so many problems with that idea!
: Back during one of our fights with Yuu, you associated barrier control with cooking, right?
: That got me thinking, and I had an idea. Do you remember what happened last year, when we were going home after the Professor’s birthday party?
: Ah…?! Um… At that time, I’m quite sure the Professor…
: Yeah, yeah. Just try and remember that feeling, and I’m sure we’ll pull this off!
: …! … Alright. Converging energy into the Laplace Wall!
: Give us the green-light, Misato! I know this wasn’t the plan… but we know we can do it!
: … If you say so. We’ll bet our chips on you two.
: (Those movements…! You’re going for it, Ichitaka…?)
: (If you’re actually set on fighting with that bot all the way to the end, then show me… Show me how strong you are!)
: You’re pushing your luck, WOOORM!!

: Now!
: Your flames burn too hot for your own good, Proist!!

:siren: :siren:

Ichitaka: “Alice, we’ve got to keep Daiya safe!”
Alice: “Right! We’ll be successful this time!”

Alice: “Initiating distortion…!”

Ichitaka: “HERE IT IS!!”

Alice: “The energy’s fully secured!”

Alice: “We're ready!”

Ichitaka: “Take some of this dimensional energy! I call it: DIMENSION STORM!”

: Whaaat?!

: The Dvorak’s regeneration’s faltered!
: Well, drat, he actually did it!
: Now, Daiya! GOO!
: Alright! Open your eyes and take a look! This is the technique Lee taught me! HAAAAAAH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6wFMU6N_U

: He used kenpo with the Hydro Blazer?!
: Yow, he handled that huuuge flame like it was nothing…! Now that’s a real deathblow!
: Attaboy, Daiya!
: Impossible…! How could the Dvorak be defeated?!
: How’s the world look from down there, Proist?! You and your plans are done now!
: Heheheh… Don’t get so high on yourself over this tiny victory. I’ve the Darius Core, and so long as I do, I’m invincible! HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
: What?!

: Stop right there! Proist!
: Her signal’s vanished from radar! We can’t pursue.
: We came so far, only to have our prey slip between our fingers…!

: Ichitaka… Your strength’s as clear as day…
: Voice file found.
: Apparently, one time when the Professor was drunk off his feet, they both had to support him on their shoulders in tandem. They drew upon that past experience and applied it to their joint-control of the dimensional distortion… Not a feat a combat-specialized unit like me could pull.

: Well, we may have lost her, but at least we can now catch our breath.
: No, it’s still too soon to relax. Countless Darius Army troops have come to the surface.
: All due to that massive Death Cross she caused, right.
: The Final Death Cross, she called it.
: And did you see how confident she was? I get the feel she’s got another trick up her sleeve.
: Something even worse than the Dvorak…? drat you, Proist…!

*Beep, boop!*

: Captain, an urgent transmission’s come in.
: Urgent…? Put it through.
: I am Emperor Darius XVII, and I wish to speak with the captain of the Daiku Maryu.
: ?! Th-The Emperor…?!

: Ichitaka… how much you’ve grown. I thought you were just messing about, but it seems I was very wrong.
: What’ll we do, then, Yuu…?
: We won’t be trying to get him to stop anymore. I doubt his life’s at risk with all that power at his disposal, either…
: But what about the Professor? The Straybird isn’t enough…
: … Look at how much he’s grown. We should also stop trying to cut corners, and simply do what we can with what we have.
: I know what I must do… and that’s start over.
: Roger that. I’ll be with you whatever you decide…
: (Go and follow your path, Ichitaka… Unwavering, as you’ve been all along…)

So, what does the Emperor want? He wants us to stop his daughter. What she’s doing is not in either of their world’s best interest, but he lacks the strength to do anything himself. Lee isn’t amused by this guy coming in to ask OUR help after all how much the people of Earth have been hurt by the Darius, and Shinn agrees. Wasn’t the Emperor the one who signed off on the invasion way back when?!
Darius takes their censure on the chin, but the fact remains that his world is now facing destruction, and he confirms to Sakon that it’s due to the Darius Core theft. They’re running the risk of all of the Darian people perishing because of it That’s not what anyone here wants, Garis notes, but the question remains: what will the Emperor do once the Core’s returned?
If we can stop Proist, then he swears to permanently suspend the invasion of the surface – especially due to how they’re now planning on setting off into space aboard their arks. As Lulu gapes, Alto realizes that those would be the ships they used to get to Earth in the first place.
Whatever the case, Darius is headed towards the surface right now, and he’d like to confer with us in person. Kurara’s a bit antsy, wondering if this could be a trap, but Darius has a way of proving his bona fides: Daiya’s own dad can vouch for him!
The hell? What’s the guy even doing with him?

It’s the truth, though, and the aptly named Daiya’s Dad steps in front of the screen. He doesn’t say much, only relaying us data of their expected warp point and requesting that we rendezvous with them. Before signing off, Darius proclaims that he does not wish for a continuation of hostilities and hopes that, if anything, we’ll believe him on that.
When Tetsuya asks, Misato thinks we actually should take them up on their offer to meet. Aoi protests that this is the guy behind an offensive that’s been running for DECADES, and while Misato agrees it could potentially be a trap, she kind of doubts it. Sakon feels the same way: with the Darius World being at the risk of coming undone, it wouldn’t be too farfetched to believe that the Emperor’s wish to recover the Core is genuine.
And what does Garis think? Well, as another Darian, he can’t bring himself to turn the other cheek while even one of his innocent compatriots dies. Then, as far as Kouichi’s concerned, this is a no-brainer: “Saying no to this isn’t what CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE do!”

Granted, Nagisa (Kanou) sees no reason why we couldn’t also keep ourselves ready in case it IS a trap, and Sakon’ll see that we’re as well covered as can be. One thing that worries Goh is the Emperor having Daiya’s Dad along with him – what’s going on there?
Daiya confirms to Norza that that REALLY was his dad, and Micchi ponders that the guy might be a hostage. If so, we should go with the meeting if only to look for a way to set him free. Whatever the case, Kenichi adds that both sides have much to lose, so that levels the bargaining table; if the guy is a hostage, that’s our best shot at freeing him.
Misato decides to go with it, then. It might finally be time to put an end to our battle with the Darius for good, Kouji hopes. Meanwhile, Daiya’s deep in thought: “Dad… Have you actually been helping Emperor Darius…?”

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 16, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was expecting a name for Daiya's dad, but I guess Daiya's Dad will have to be enough.

Also you used Kenichi's portrait instead of Kouichi's during the latter's pre-battle talk with Proist and had Daiya said he'd defend Daiya instead of Ichitaka doing so.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was expecting a name for Daiya's dad, but I guess Daiya's Dad will have to be enough.

Also you used Kenichi's portrait instead of Kouichi's during the latter's pre-battle talk with Proist and had Daiya said he'd defend Daiya instead of Ichitaka doing so.

If his mother isn't called Daiya's Mom to keep the cartoon convention intact, I'll be annoyed.

And fixed.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yuu shows up again but doesn't get his rear end handed to him (because he does literally nothing)

I'm actually disappointed.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

Yuu shows up again but doesn't get his rear end handed to him (because he does literally nothing)

I'm actually disappointed.

At least he seems to have finally realized that he is not the main character.

That's the first step towards better times in a super robot show!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With the talk of cooking beforehand did Alice and Ichitaka learn their ultimate attack by drawing back on a time they had to make something to help a crazy scientist with his hangover? That's not really how I expected that to go I must say.

Also, I like Proist's evil face and her dino/dragon bot. Attacks seemed kind of lackluster though.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

With the talk of cooking beforehand did Alice and Ichitaka learn their ultimate attack by drawing back on a time they had to make something to help a crazy scientist with his hangover? That's not really how I expected that to go I must say.

It's more like they could already use the attack, but lacked the sync needed to do it safely. Same way Alice drew a parallel with cooking to wrap her head around task parallelism, they remembered the time they had to balance Grife on their shoulders at the same time to figure out how to sync-up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

If his mother isn't called Daiya's Mom to keep the cartoon convention intact, I'll be annoyed.
IIRC, yes, Daiya's mother also has no name as well. You'd think his dad would have one given how much of a driving force his disappearance is to Daiya, but no, they don't give him one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Putting the armor back on is a nice punch-robot equivalent of dropping your sword back in its sheath. Well done that attack animation.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Considering the special place in my heart Gaiking has, there are...a bizarrely huge number of characters who I simply do not remember at all.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I've been reading up on some of the series I'm not already familiar with. Did you know there was a third Iczer OVA with a third Nagisa? Oh, what could've been.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

I've been reading up on some of the series I'm not already familiar with. Did you know there was a third Iczer OVA with a third Nagisa? Oh, what could've been.

Clearly we need to remake L and W as a single game. Bring Gai, Gai and Gai together with Nagisa, Nagisa and Nagisa.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Clearly we need to remake L and W as a single game. Bring Gai, Gai and Gai together with Nagisa, Nagisa and Nagisa.

We need a W remake in general though. Imagine W, but with full voice acting and a semi-competent Asian-English translation.

I want to hear Gai shouting. Yes, all of the Gais. Including the one that isn't prone to shouting.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lobsterman posted:

Considering the special place in my heart Gaiking has, there are...a bizarrely huge number of characters who I simply do not remember at all.

Before this update I would have sworn Norza/Kain piloted the Vulking/Daichi while Lee/Vestaanu piloted the Raiking/Tenkuu. Funny how memory works.

Gaiking LoDM is great and I urge everyone who likes super robots to give it a try. The first 4-5 eps are very generic but after that it just keeps getting better with time.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Got a new update incoming, but I reckon it'd be best to get a new page.

We need 2+ posts for this, so I ask you, thread: are you ready to go full Super Saiyan and jettison any semblance of difficulty from the game?

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Definitely. It's always fun to see how silly things can get once everyone is rocking all their upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Got a new update incoming, but I reckon it'd be best to get a new page.

We need 2+ posts for this, so I ask you, thread: are you ready to go full Super Saiyan and jettison any semblance of difficulty from the game?

Break this game over your knees!

• Locked thread