Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stymie posted:

the only way you could think that vaping doesn't stink is if your sense of smell has been previously eradicated by actual smoking

sweet flavours do stench yeah. menthol is nearly odourless as vapour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

have you considered not being addicted to nicotine?

unsuccessfully

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr. Nice! posted:

no typo i deliberately typed robot dicks because that's what vapes are.

you dont think echi was talking about his own gaping typo????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

have you considered not being addicted to nicotine?

mate i work directly in the smoking cessation field and believe me nicotine addiction is a mother fucker for absolute sure. even with the best drugs and support and incentives it's still small percentages that end up smoke free

here in nz someone can walk in off the street and get two months of nicotine patches and gum/lozenges for $10. we give smoking mother money vouchers for quitting. varenicline course is about $600 but we fund it and charge the patient $10. despite all of this, people continue to smoke. never judge a smoker for it quitting cos everyone is different. even if someone goes from 20/day to 15/day that's a big improvement. i wish i could also sell vape stuff to help people too

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
someone post the addiction chart where nicotine is all the way over with heroin and cocaine

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I smoke

but it isn't lovely tobacco :2bong:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ZevEisenberg/status/908148886363103232

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

mate i work directly in the smoking cessation field and believe me nicotine addiction is a mother fucker for absolute sure. even with the best drugs and support and incentives it's still small percentages that end up smoke free

here in nz someone can walk in off the street and get two months of nicotine patches and gum/lozenges for $10. we give smoking mother money vouchers for quitting. varenicline course is about $600 but we fund it and charge the patient $10. despite all of this, people continue to smoke. never judge a smoker for it quitting cos everyone is different. even if someone goes from 20/day to 15/day that's a big improvement. i wish i could also sell vape stuff to help people too

just ban smoking everywhere like any civilized state

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Management posted:

sir you are going to buy a new avatar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

that solves exactly poo poo, as far as every european country i've lived in goes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

those policies make sense because the heath consequences from nicotine are dwarfed by the smoke itself

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

those policies make sense because the heath consequences from nicotine are dwarfed by the smoke itself

that yes, they don't help smokers quit though, which is what's discussed. extra taxation on tobacco products seems to go quite a longer way in that regard

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

when will apple release its own vape already

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nicotine is fairly safe, it's just very physically dependence forming

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

someone post the addiction chart where nicotine is all the way over with heroin and cocaine

there is also definitely a factor where compared to say heroin, there is significantly less stigma and ease of buying and smoking doesn't really destroy lives and families. smokers would never go to the lengths opioid addicted people go to get their drugs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

second hand smoke, much like first hand smoke, has loads of harmful poo poo though - tars, lead, etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that yes, they don't help smokers quit though, which is what's discussed. extra taxation on tobacco products seems to go quite a longer way in that regard

increases in cigarette prices manage to make some people quit, but it's also argued it hits low socio economic communities harder because of course poor people smoke more and see the doctor less and quit less and now have to spend more of their meagre income on smokes

all we can do is continue to push cessation and continue to lower the barrier of entry to cessation products and drugs and services

i'd hate to see it made illegal tho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Powaqoatse posted:

you dont think echi was talking about his own gaping typo????

ah i glanced right over it. was trying to figure out what was going on.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

all this apple talk convinced to get an ipad pro. it's cool.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

sudo rm -rf posted:

all this apple talk convinced to get an ipad pro. it's cool.

10 inch iPad pro is extremely pro.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

it stinks, it's addictive, it gives you cancer and also those around you, plus it's very expensive and useless

what's not to like about smoking ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

it stinks, it's addictive, it gives you cancer and also those around you, plus it's very expensive and useless

the state of california is getting real salty with these prop 65 notices

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

echinopsis posted:

wasn't there a study that showed nicotine could be carcinogenic on its own though? something about expression of certain genes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

wasn't there a study that showed nicotine could be carcinogenic on its own though? something about expression of certain genes

you're right, they should stick to something 1000x more likely to give them cancer

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

hobbesmaster posted:

you're right, they should stick to something 1000x more likely to give them cancer

yes cause clearly the thing I'm take exception to is vapes and not the notion that nicotine is safe

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

so uh gifvs dont play in ios safari anymore or what

cause it doesnt work for me

plz dont respond WORKSFORME,WONTFIX

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

The Management posted:

yeah i'm honestly kind of blown away. my last ipad was the first retina mini, and at the time i was using a 5s. when i got my 6 i basically just stopped using the ipad.

so this is really something else. i haven't touched my 7 all day.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i still refuse to buy an ipad pro until the pencil gets an eraser :mad:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
iPad Pro 10.5 supremacy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

google nexus 7 ... 2012 ... uhh ... monster race

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

oh have those people just stopped being babies and quit? my mom did and she's been smoke free for years after decades of smoking. sucks they lack willpower to not literally murder themselves i guess

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is there an iphone case that can use the iphone battery to power a vape rig?

if not, someone kickstart that asap

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Endless Mike posted:

oh have those people just stopped being babies and quit? my mom did and she's been smoke free for years after decades of smoking. sucks they lack willpower to not literally murder themselves i guess

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the hardest part of quitting smoking is wanting to quit smoking

it's not like the withdrawal is unbearable or something. people just really like smoking.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the hardest part of quitting smoking is wanting to quit smoking

it's not like the withdrawal is unbearable or something. people just really like smoking.

thats literally the definition of addiction

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah surprise surprise people "fail" at quitting smoking because they don't actually want to quit and then the echis of the world make up excuses for them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
or you quit smoking and everything is fine and then your mom dies and guess what, a cigarette would really help you get your mind off of that for a while. see also drinking and drugs.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

thats literally the definition of addiction

yep addiction is hard. governing our desires is a lot harder than dealing with withdrawal symptoms or tapering or whatever.

smoking is a hard addiction to tackle specifically because it is so easy to quit (or start again)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in a very Tyler, The Creator voice "Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Addiction Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Vice Like Just Stop Doing It Haha"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

all we can do is continue to push cessation and continue to lower the barrier of entry to cessation products and drugs and services

i don't know how widespread it is (meaning eu-level), but at least in finland the brands and prices of tobacco are no longer visible anywhere. you need to know what you're buying and ask the cashier for it. also there are no smoking rooms, you can't smoke in bars, you have to go outside to smoke in the rain/snow.

so we can definitely make the barrier of entry higher too. and hey, it's working. teenagers and young adults are smoking way less than older generations were at their age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

i don't know how widespread it is (meaning eu-level), but at least in finland the brands and prices of tobacco are no longer visible anywhere. you need to know what you're buying and ask the cashier for it. also there are no smoking rooms, you can't smoke in bars, you have to go outside to smoke in the rain/snow.

so we can definitely make the barrier of entry higher too. and hey, it's working. teenagers and young adults are smoking way less than older generations were at their age.

european statistics tend to fudge a bit by using "daily" smokers instead of smokers overall

if finland were a u.s. state it would probably rank around kentucky and w. virgina for tobacco use

• Locked thread